Chapter 25 - What is she going to do?

The Heart

Dong Jun’s parents arrived right when the operation door opened. Doctors and nurses walked out of the room. Ji Hyo and Dong Jun’s mother rushed to the doctor

“How is he doctor?” – His mother asked

“He is stable for now but he needed to stay here a little while more for following up. He seemed to have Cardiac Allograft Vasculopathy.” – The doctor informed

“Why does he have it now doctor? He had heart transplant 15 years ago and he had been fine since then but why he has problem again doctor? – His mother asked in devastation.

“Has he complained about chest pain lately?” – The doctor asked.

“Yes,” – His mother eyes’ sparked as she remember something. – “about 4 months ago, he said that he sometimes felt a sharp pain in his chest every time he saw a girl cried. I thought he was just kidding but may it be the cause doctor?” – His mother asked with the wide eyes.

That question hit Ji Hyo. 4 months ago was when they first met and he once mentioned to her that his heart was physically in pain every time he saw her cried. So … She was the cause of his heart attack.

 Her tears dropped, again.

She was indeed the cause of his heart attack. It was all her fault. She dropped her body on the floor as she couldn’t bear to realize that fact.

Jong Kook heard the entire conversation and he already figured out why Ji Hyo reacted like that. He walked to her, helped pulling her up. He didn’t say anything, he couldn’t. What was there to say?  He knew she was blaming herself for Dong Jun’s heart attack. And painfully, he already predicted what she was about to do but he didn’t want to think about that part. He didn’t dare to. Because if she was about to do what he thought she would, then he would be the one that had heart attack …

“The change in emotion or stress can lead to heart attack especially when he has CAV so for now just keep him calm and emotionally stable. Distress can make his problem worse.” – Doctor advised before walking away.

Dong Jun was transferred to VIP room after the operation. He was still unconscious. Ji Hyo was sitting next to his bed, looking at him with worried eyes and on the other side of the room, her fiancé – Kim Jong Kook – was looking at her with the saddest eyes.

Ji Hyo turned to Dong Jun’s parents asking them to go home since they looked tired. They didn’t agree at first but Ji Hyo kept insisting. They finally gave in especially when Dong Jun’s mother looked too pale. She seemed like she needed a good sleep.

“Oppa, can you take them home?” – Ji Hyo weakly asked

“How about you?” – Jong Kook asked, couldn’t hide his sad voice

“I will stay the night here. I want to take care of him tonight.” – Ji Hyo said, looked sadly at the unconscious Dong Jun

“Ok” – Jong Kook lowered his eyes, tried to hide his sadness. He knew the moment he walked out of that room, leaving Ji Hyo alone with her devastation, thing would change, her mind would change. But he couldn’t do anything about that. She had the right to change her mind. He couldn’t stop it from happening. All he had was hope, hoping that she won’t change her mind, about their future, about their engagement, and about their love.

Those hopes, why did they seem too … fragile …

Everybody left, now Ji Hyo was the only one in the room, together with the unconscious Dong Jun. It was quiet, scarily quiet; all she heard was his weak breathing and the beepping noise from the heart rate monitor.

She held his hand, tightly. She tucked some loose hairs on his forehead aside, away from his eyes.

“I’m sorry Dong Jun ah” – She sobbed, lifting his hand closer to her lips. – “I’m too selfish right Dong Jun? I only think about my happiness and ignored your pain. I was wrong Dong Jun ah. Please wake up. Please don’t punish noona anymore. I know that I was wrong. Just wake up and I will do whatever you want Dong Jun ah.” – She cried, devastated. She felt like she killed that heart, twice.

She stayed up all night and only closed her eyes when it was almost 5 in the morning when her body totally wore out.

Only 30 minutes into her sleep, she felt a hand moving. Immediately, she woke up.

Dong Jun was slowly opening his eyes.

Ji Hyo was happy. She stood up, about to call the doctor but Dong Jun held her hand back.

“Don’t noona. Don’t leave me” – He weakly said through the breathing mask.

She sat down, looked at him, and cupped his hsnd with both of her hands.

“Noona won’t leave you. Noona just wanted to call doctor to check on you.” – She smiled gently to ensure him.

“I don’t need doctor noona, you are my medicine, as long as you are next you me, my heart is not ache any more” – He said, desperately

The tears couldn’t help but escaped out of her eyes. She sat there, next to him, held his hand for a while.

He looked at her. His eyes were sad. He knew he was selfish. He knew he just putyed her in a very difficult position but he couldn’t afford to lose her. He just … couldn’t let her go.

The doctor finally came to visit Dong Jun.

“How is he doctor?” – Ji Hyo asked in concern

“He is stable now but his problem is serious. Cardiac Allograft Vasculopathy is one of the leading causes of dead of heart transplant patients. There are no treatments available in Korea for his severe stage yet but I can recommend him a hospital in America. The treatment can last up to one year but after that he will be good like new” – The doctor said

“No there is no way I leave Korean for 1 year” – Dong Jun protested, weakly, since he still needed breathing mask to supply the oxygen. – “My career just started. One year is too long. The fan will forget me.”

“Dong Jun ah, but your health is more important. I am sure that your fan will understand and wait for you to come back.” – Ji Hyo patiently advised and held his hand to calm him down.

“No, you don’t understand noona. I will lose my spot if I leave for a year. I worked too hard for this. I can’t lose it like that noona.” – He said in anxious.

“Dong Jun ah, calm down. Let’s go together. Noona will go with you ok? Noona will be with you in America and take care for you ok?” – Ji Hyo blurted out her promise without even thinking it through.

 All she thought about was calming Dong Jun down at the moment since the doctor said he shouldn’t be under any distress. However, she didn’t think through that what she said was an unwritten contract that she had to leave Korea for 1 year, it’s also mean, she had to leave her fiancée for one year. That thought just hit her after she spoke out the promise. She wanted take it back but it was too late.

 Dong Jun’s face was already filled with hope. He relaxed after hearing Ji Hyo promise.

“Are you sure? How about your engagement?” – He softly asked

“I will handle it. Just promise noona you will go to America, can’t you?” – She asked, trying to conceal her grief.

“If you go with me, I will promise. As long as you are with me noona” – He smiled.

“Ok, let’s do that then.” – She smiled but inside her heart, it was heavier than ever.

“May you suggest when should we proceed with the treatment in America?” – Ji Hyo turned to the doctor and asked

“As soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more dangerous it will get.” – The doctor suggested.

She looked at Dong Jun. They nodded their heads as they both agreed that Dong Jun should receive the treatment in the soonest time possible.

“Can you please help us to contact the hospital in America and transfer his case over there? We would like to have it done as soon as we can.” – Ji Hyo asked the doctor.

“Sure. We shall do that.” – The doctor said and left.

“Everything will be ok Dong Jun.” – She smiled gently, ensuring Dong Jun.

He nodded with a weak smile.

She excused herself to the restroom to wash his towels.

Behind the restroom door, she sat down, crying, quietly

“What am I going to do about us oppa.” – She whispered to herself in devastation.

On the bed, Dong Jun could feel Ji Hyo crying. He was sad, he knew he just broke her heart but he didn’t want to give up on her. That one year was his only chance, the chance to make her his, the chance to change her mind.

He just could not … give up that chance …