Chapter 26 - His world left him

The Heart

“Ding Doong” – The doorbell rang. Jong Kook wondered who could bother him this time of the day. Only one person he could think of but for some reason he wished it wasn’t her. He had an uneasy feeling.

“Hello oppa” – Ji Hyo softly greeted, masked a meaningless smile.

            He looked at her, she looked sad and tired. He gave her a tight hug.

His arms were so warm but she felt so sad. Because she knew it would be the last time she could be in his warm wide arms. After tonight, she would miss it very much …

He still didn’t say anything; just lightly lifted her up in his arms. She wrapped her hands around his neck, buried her face on his chest, letting the tears fall.

He putted her down to the couch, and then sat down on the floor, facing her, holding her hands. He wiped her tears with his bare hand. Her tears were hot. They burned his heart.

“How is Dong Jun?” – He softly asked as Ji Hyo tears stopped pouring out.

“He is stable now but he needs more treatment.” – She sobbed.

“It’s good news right? I’m sure modern medicine will help him to be well soon.”

“Yeah, but not in Korea. He has to have a treatment in America, for a year.” – She said, low voice.

“America is a good place for treatment. Did the doctor recommend any place?”

“Yes, and we will leave tomorrow.” – She said, avoid his eyes contact.

He disbelieved in what his ears just heart. He held her shoulders, firmly, tried to turn her face toward him.

“What do you mean by we? You meant him right? Tell me that’s what you said Ji Hyo?” – His eyes started burning. He was losing his patient.

She shook her head, her tears started dropping again.

“I will go with him for a year oppa.” – She sobbed, looking in his eyes. They both teared down.

“No, why do you do that Ji Hyo? He doesn’t need you there. His parents, his doctor will help him. He doesn’t need you Ji Hyo.” – He shook her shoulders hard.

 “He needs me oppa. I have to take care of him. He won’t leave Korea of I’m not with him. I’m the cause of his heart attack oppa. I have to take responsibility for that” – Ji Hyo broke out with tears.

 “Ji Hyo ah, please reconsider it Ji Hyo ah. I need you too Ji Hyo ah, more than he needs you. Don’t leave oppa Ji Hyo ah.” – He desperately begged, hugged her tightly in his arms like if he loosen it even one grip, she might left him right away.

Her tears dropped as she seeing the man she loved more than anything was devastated because of her. The tears kept choking , she couldn’t talk nor did she know what to say to him.

That man was desperate, hurt, wounded, because of her.

“Ji Hyo ah, stay with me, we will have a big wedding, I already ordered the dress that you wanted Ji Hyo ah. Don’t go to America, ok?” – He begged, still couldn’t release his arms from her body.

“Oppa, I love you, more than everything but that heart. I have to protect that heart oppa.”- She said in tears

“It is not your responsibility to protect that heart Ji Hyo. It’s doctor’s job. How about my heart Ji Hyo ah? Who will protect my heart? It is broken to piece too Ji Hyo ah.” – He raised his voice. The tears couldn’t stop running down his cheeks.

“I’m really sorry oppa.” – Her voice was broken up as the tears kept choking – “I made that heart stopped once oppa, I can’t do it again. I can’t kill that heart again oppa.”

“Ji Hyo ah, listen to oppa.” He lightly pushed her body out; straighten her shoulders to look at him. – “It wasn’t your fault 15 years ago. It was the driver’s fault, not your fault and the heart that Dong Jun carry is just a heart. He is not Lee Dong Wook. He is Kim Dong Jun, Ji Hyo. Why can’t you just accept that fact?” – He screamed out loud, couldn’t hold his frustration any longer.

“I’m sorry oppa.” – She sobbed.

She was pretty even when she cried. He took a close look at her face, might be it the last time he could see that pretty face of her. That thought wounded him so much.

She took out the engagement ring, putted it to his big manly palm.

“Please give it to someone deserve it better than me”

He looked at the ring, soullessly. He screamed, cried, freaked out, all the things that he could do, he did it all. Now he was out of energy, didn’t even know how to convince her anymore. He just sat there, staring at the ring that made him so happy a few days ago. Now that ring was meaningless.

She stood up. He held her hand, whispered “Please don’t leave”.

His eyes fixed somewhere, a vague space, couldn’t look at her because he would become sadder.

She slowly walked out the door. He didn’t even have the energy to chase after her. He knew nothing would change even if he did. Her mind was set and no one could change it

He sat at that same spot all night. He didn’t sleep, couldn’t even close his eyes. His mind was blank. Until the first sunlight shot through his eyes, he felt like getting awakened. He couldn’t let her go, not without a fight. He grabbed his jacket and ran furiously to the airport.

He ran around Incheon airport like a mad man. He pulled back any one that looked like her.

It wasn’t too hard to find her after all. She was surrounded by the reporter in front of the security gate. She was pushing Dong Jun who was on his wheelchair. The reporters kept flashing cameras and throwing questions at her and Dong Jun but neither of them response.

Jong Kook pushed through the crowd and get to her. Ji Hyo eyes wide opened seeing Jong Kook in front of her. He stepped closer, slowly, one step at a time.

“Don’t leave” – Jong Kook held her left hand, desperately.

Dong Jun saw Jong Kook and also the waiver in Ji Hyo eyes. He held Ji Hyo’s other hand, he didn’t say anything but he looked up at Ji Hyo, his eyes were begging.

Ji Hyo looked at Jong Kook then at Dong Jun, and Jong Kook again. She fixed her gaze at Jong Kook for a long time, a very long pause.

At that moment, their eyes locked, both were very sad, so sad that all people around them got quiet. The world seemed to all disappeared, only two of them stood right there. With his hand held her hand, his eyes on her eyes. Some tears dropped, from both of them.

He seemed to be broken.

 She wanted to run to him so badly and hugged him so tightly that all his broken pieces would stick back together. But even that, she couldn’t do…

“I’m sorry” – That was the last thing she said to him then shook his hand lightly away. She turned her body back toward the wheelchair and pushed Dong Jun through the security door.

“Kim Dong Jun” – Jong Kook yelled. – “Let her go, do you know that she decided to go with you because the heart you are carrying is her first love’s heart?”

Ji Hyo was stunned. She froze with her eyes wide opened. She still hadn’t told Dong Jun about Dong Wook’s heart yet.

Dong Jun was also in shock for a second then he turned and looked at Jong Kook.

“It doesn’t matter what was the reason she chose to go with me. As long as she is with me, that was I need.” – He said then turned back toward Ji Hyo – “Let’s go noona” – He softly said.

She nodded, continued pushing the wheelchair. Jong Kook stood still looking at them until they disappeared into the crowd.

He didn’t move even one step for hours, ignored the flashlight, ignored the reporters’ question. His world was disappeared. It was shattered. Everything around him turned to darkness…

His world left him …