Chapter 23 - The proposal

The Heart

Hongdae Street was just a warm up for their date. After filling themselves with food, laughter, and kissed, Jong Kook led Ji Hyo back to the car and drove away, leaving the fans still looking at them with regret. The nitizens couldn’t get enough of their sweet chemistry.

“Did you have fun?” – Asked Jong Kook

“Of course oppa, I think this is the first public date since I was 19. I love it so much. Thank you oppa.” – Said Ji Hyo, cheerfully, with her hands hugged tightly around Jong Kook’s muscular bicep.

“I’m glad you like it. It was my first time on public date too. It was excited.” – He smiled

“I was very excited oppa. I felt like we were in a drama scene. I think we were the first celebs having public date in Hongdae oppa.” – Ji Hyo laughed

“Do you want to do more things that celebrities can’t?” – Jong Kook turned his head looking at Ji Hyo with expectation.

“What? What are you going next?” – Ji Hyo’s big eye widened with surprise.

“You will see when we are there.” – Jong Kook winked.

She loved it when he winked. His wink was something between cute and y that made her want to jump to him and eat him up alive.

“Wow my oppa saves a lot of surprise for me today, isn’t he?” – Ji Hyo asked with a mischievous tone.

“You have no idea.” – Jong Kook playfully glanced at Ji Hyo.

Abruptly, she leaned to his side a landed a kiss on his cheek.

“Thank you for making me so happy oppa.” – She looked at him, affectionately.

He knitted his fingers tightly to hers.

“No, thank you for making me happy.” -  He lifted her left hand up to his lips and nipped a gentle kiss. “Please don’t let go of my hand again.” – He gently said.

“I won’t” – She whispered, with smile.

Before she knew it, they were already in a parking garage of Lotte World, one of the biggest amusement parks in Seoul.

“Oppa, you are not seriously taking me to the amusement park right?” – Ji Hyo gaped, could conceal her surprise.

“Why do you think we are here?” – Jong Kook asked, rhetorically.

“But …” – Ji Hyo hesitated

“I’m sorry honey, I am not taking “but” for today.” – Said Jong Kook as he left his seat before Ji Hyo could say another word.

She smiled. She liked this version of him, random and spontaneous, manly as he did not give her an option. Even though she always liked to be in control but being controlled by him today didn’t seem too bad.

“Milady?” – He said as offered one hand to take her out and another hand behind his back, bending his body, as handsome as any Hollywood actor could be.

“Thank you” – She smiled, brightly, taking his hand.  

They walked to the park, receiving no less attention as they did in Hongdae Street. All eyes were on them. Some visitors even dropped the line that they had been waiting for an hour to follow them around. They made no effort to conceal their real identity. They walked hand and hand, freely and proudly in middle of the crowd.  

Ji Hyo of course couldn’t ignore the cotton candy stand.

“Do you want one?” – Jong Kook asked as he saw her eyes fixed on the delicious pink cotton candy.

She nodded, blinking her eyes as a little girl begging her parent for a candy.

He couldn’t help but landed a kiss on her chubby cheek. She was darn cute. Nitizen were in awe looking at their sweet interaction.

“Please give me one.” He asked the sale lady.

That young girl couldn’t hide her excitement seeing her idols standing front of her. She made them a biggest cotton candy that the stick could hold.

“Omo. It’s so big. Thank you very much.” – Ji Hyo bowed lightly with a smile as she received the huge cotton candy.

“Here is for my sweet boyfriend” – She said as pulled out a big piece of cotton candy and fed to Jong Kook.

“Which ride do you want to go first?” – Asked Jong Kook as he swallowed the sweet peace of cotton candy.

“Gyro Drop” – Ji Hyo excitedly shouted.

She loved extreme ride. It was her passion. She actually was not always like that kind of dangerous entertainment. Her hobby was all started after Dong Wook’s dead. She couldn’t ease the pain for a long time. She experienced suicidal attempts but she stopped as she realized how painful it was to her family. She changed to dangerous sports and extreme rides. When she did those stuffs, the fright and excitement helped her to get over the pain a little bit. Her head was free and clear whenever she rode those extreme roller coasters or drops.  From that on she was addicted with those kinds of rides.

“Sure” – Jong Kook happily agreed even though his stomach was already turning upside down before stepping to the ride. He was afraid of height and extreme rides never were his strength. He started doubting his own plan. Maybe it wasn’t the smartest idea to take her here. He knew she would take the most extreme rides as it was her hobby. But him, he didn’t know how many rides he could handle.

However, when he looked at the excitement on her face, all his doubts were gone.  As long as she happy, his suffer was worth it.

“Are you sure oppa? I know you don’t like the height.” – Ji Hyo concerned as she recalled how difficult it was to Jong Kook last time they filmed at the amusement park.

“As long as you like it honey. Don’t worry about me.” – He smiled, brightly, trying to conceal his anxiety.

“Yay, thank you oppa.” – She yelled excitedly like an elementary kid.

They walked to the Gyro Drop. Thanks to their celebrity status, they were sent straight to the front of the line to avoid the crowd gathering.

The Gyro Drop was a famous attraction of Lotte Word. It was the most thrilling feeling that the park had to offer the visitor. It first slowly climb 70 meter to the top and stopped there for a moment.

As expected, Jong Kook’s dark skin turned pale the moment it reached the top. Ji Hyo was excited, swinging her legs on the open air but she didn’t forget to concern about Jong Kook. She held his hand tightly as she saw the color change on his face.

“Are you ok oppa” – She mouthed to Jong Kook.

He nodded. He couldn’t response, just nodded. He mumbled something, probably praying God protecting his dedicate heart which were about to crashed to pieces as the ride dropped down at the speed of 94 km per hour.

Ji Hyo laughed seeing his reaction. He was so cute in her eyes. She loved seeing her strong masculine tiger being weak. He was just too adorable.

The ride dropped as well as Jong Kook’s heart. His heart was probably felt to his stomach by the time the ride landed to the ground. The 2.5 seconds of dropping felt like 2.5 million years to him. His lifespan probably cut 10 years short.

On the other hand, Ji Hyo mouth was wide opened with smile as the ride drop. She couldn’t have enough of it and wanted to do it again right away. But looking at Jong Kook’s soulless face, she decided to hide her temptation.

“Where do you want to go next? – Asked Jong Kook as he got his soul back.

“Bumper cars.” – That was not what she wanted. She wanted to run to the Gyro Swing but it would be too much for Jong Kook to handle after the crazy Gyro Drop. They should take a little rest in the kid level game before going back to extreme rides.

Jong Kook was relief hearing bumper cars. He was sure he would have a heart attack if she suggested something like roller coaster at the moment.

They enjoyed the bumper cars even though the nitizens kept trying to bump to them. They played well with the nitizens and bumped them back.

After the bumper car, the experienced most of other rides such as The Onquistador, Drunken Basket, Giant Loop, Flume Ride, and The Adventures of Sinbad.

Jong Kook’s most favorited ride was Camelot Carrousel. It was the merry-go-round that featured in “Stairway to heaven”. He didn’t ride; he just stood outside and looked at how gorgeous Ji Hyo was as she rode the white horse. She was definitely prettier than Choi Ji Woo in his eyes.

She was like a pure princess as she smiled every time the ride passed him. He wanted to save every moment of her laugh and smile in his head, so carefully, that he could see it every time he closed his eyes.

The park was closed by the time she finished the Camelot Carrousel. Everybody left the park. Ji Hyo was walking toward the exit but Jong Kook held her back.

“Wait a little bit” – He softly said, spread a meaningful smile on his face.

“Why? The park is closed.” – Ji Hyo asked in confused.

“Not to us” – He winked. – “Do you trust oppa?” – He gently asked

“Of course, why are you asking that?” – She looked at him with wonder.

“Then let’s do as oppa say ok?” – He raised his eyebrow lightly.

“Ok” – She smiled

He took out a blindfold from his pocket and tied it around her eyes.

“What are you doing oppa?” – She asked in surprise

“You will see.” – He said and wrapped her arm around his.

“Where are we going oppa?” – She anxiously asked as they start walking, with her eyes were still blindfolded of course.

“You said you trust oppa right?”

“Of course.”

“Then trust me, relax, and just walk with me, I promised not let you hit anything ok?” – He ensured her.

She smiled, relaxed her tense body. It was very uncomfortable walking with her eye folded but she decided to put her trust on his. Even if they were crossing a highway with her eye blindfolded she would be relaxed as long as he was with her, guided her through the darkness. Because she knew, that man would protect her no matter what, would never let any harm come near her. That man was trustworthy. That man, if he asked her to trust him, she would, from the bottom of her heart.

 Because that man, he was Kim Jong Kook.

“Be careful, you are about to step inside.” – He said and held her hand tighter.

She felt like she was walking in some kind of cabin. He guided her to sit down, next to him. It started moving. Guessing from its motion, she believed that she was in a Farris Wheel. It moved, slowly for about 30 minutes then it suddenly stopped.

The cabin was swinging, she was sure they were not on the ground. She was panic a little bit but he helped her to stand up, against the glass door she guessed, she could feel the cold surface as she touched it. He stood behind her, gently untied her blindfold then moved his arms to her waist, held it tightly.

“Open your eyes and looked down to the ground” – He whispered to her ear.

She slowly opened her eyes. Her first reaction was a gape. The ground was lightened up with candles bordering the rose pedals which was arranged to the giant words “Will you married me”. It must took about a thousand candles and couple thousands roses in order to make those giant words. It was more romantic than any movie that she had ever watched. Too romantic that she almost couldn’t believe it was happening in front of her eyes.

Jong Kook loosened his arms. She turned around and he was already in one knee with the most gorgeous ring that she had ever seen in her life on his hands.

“Ji Hyo” – He looked at her, sincerely. “I know I am not the most handsome guy nor richest guy nor most famous guy in Korea, not even close to that. But one thing I know for sure, I am the guy that love you most in this entire world. To the world, you might be just someone, but to me, you are the entire world. Since the day you walked into my life, I knew that the other empty part of my heart was fulfilled. I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you since the first time we kissed.  You are a strong woman; there is no doubt about that. But please, let me protect you, take care of you, and love you for the rest of my life. Please be my wife.” – He said, looking up at her face.

She was tearing up. It was too touching for her to hold the happy tears. The man she loved was handsomely knelt her in front of her and asked her to be his wife. And his proposal couldn’t be more perfect.

She nodded “Yes, of course yes.” – She smiled with happy tears and spread her left hand toward him.

He happily putted the ring on her, couldn’t hide the big smile on his face. He stood up, hugged her tightly “Thank you, thank you, thank you very much” – He kept happily thanked her for accepting his proposal.

He was super nervous. His heart kept thudding fast against his ribcage as he said the proposal. He was afraid that she would say no to his proposal and ran away but she did not. She said yes. He couldn’t believe it. He was very happy. His dream woman finally said yes. The effort that he had been prepared got pay off.

He had to beg the theme park director to let him use the park for the night. In exchange, he promised to do a free advertisement for them. The employees were very enthusiastic helping him arrange the roses and candles. It costed him a fortune to buy all the roses and candles but it was worth it.

She said yes.

 For her, it was all worth it.

He kept hugging her tightly as the wheel bringing them back to the ground.

All the employees shouted out with excitement and congratulated them as they saw the giant ring in Ji Hyo’s finger.

Ji Hyo and Jong Kook happily bowed and thanked the employees for helping Jong Kook with his proposal

It was the happiest night of their lives.