Chapter 8 - Her sad past

The Heart

The atmosphere in Jong Kook’s car was very heavy. Jong Kook face was still burning hot from witnessing what happened between Ji Hyo and Dong Jun. Ji Hyo kept looking out the window thinking about the heartbeat that she just heard. She tried to convince herself that it may be just a coincidence but she couldn’t fool herself.

  • Do you plan to explain what just happened earlier? – Jong Kook angrily asked after 30 minutes of silent driving.
  • I just … stepped on a loose rock and fail and Dong Jun just happened to be there and catch me – Ji Hyo reluctantly answered.
  • Wasn’t it too much of a coincidence? Fine, let’s say it was what happened then why did you were frozen on his arm and touched his chest with your bare hand and what with the tears? Why did you cry? – Jong Kook explosively asked.
  • Oppa, let’s continue in my apartment. – Ji Hyo weakly suggested when the car reached her parking garage.

They walked quietly to her apartment. She poured out two glasses of red wine and offered one to Jong Kook. He got calmer by the time they sat on the couch but he could sense something abnormal about Ji Hyo. She seemed to be more depressed and emotional than normal.

Ji Hyo took a first sip from the full glass of red wine and settled next to Jong Kook on the couch.

  • I promised you to tell you all my secrets after the trip right? Do you still want to hear that? – Ji Hyo softly asked while looking somewhere afar.
  • Sure. – Jong Kook was still angry about Ji Hyo and Dong Jun incidence but he was more curious hearing the secret that she had been hiding from him for the last 5 years.
  • You may no longer love me; even hate me after hearing this story. Are you sure you want to hear that? – Ji Hyo confirmed again.
  • What are you talking about? I will love you no matter what. – Jong Kook started raising his voice to hide his doubt about whether he should listen to the story or not. After hearing this story, there would be definitely no more secret in their relationship. The biggest wall between them was about to be tumbling down but would it worth it that might end their current relationship? He thought about it hard but he was confident in his love for Ji Hyo wouldn’t change no matter what.
  • Ok. Then I will tell you the story that I never told anyone for the last 15 years. – Ji Hyo slowly walked in her story. – 15 years ago, I had a boyfriend. We were both 19 at that time. He was my first love. We were high school sweetheart. We started dating when I was 16. At that time, he was the only focus of my life. My world was 6 feet tall and 172 pounds in weight. He always wanted to become an actor and he debuted when he was 18. Even though he was busy at that time but he always took time for me. We love to lied under the shade of an old oak tree where I could quietly listen to his heartbeat. I loved his heartbeat so much that he said if one day he died he would donate his heart so it could find its way to see me again. – Ji Hyo stopped a little bit and smiled gloomily. Jong Kook was patiently waiting for her to continue her story even though it was not easy hearing his girlfriend talking about her first love. – His career started to pick up when he turned 19. He spent less time with me and more time filming. We got into a lot of fights and every time I got mad he would bring a bouquet of purple tulip to make up with me.
  • I thought you said you hate purple tulip. I remember in an interview you said the kind of present you hate most is flower especially purple tulip. That’s why I never gave you any flowers – Jong Kook couldn’t hold his curiosity.
  • There is a reason for that. Let’s me continue my story – said Ji Hyo with a sad voice  
  • Ok.
  • We were on the verge of break up but then he proposed to me. He wanted me to feel secure that even when he got more famous he was still with me and only me.
  • Proposed? Are you serious? Did you agree? – Jong Kook anxiously asked.
  • N-ne, I happily agreed since it would be the only way that we could see each other often. Our parents were strongly against it but we were young and reckless. We didn’t want to listen to anyone. Our parents finally gave in and agreed with our marriage with the condition that we had to keep it in secret so he could continue his acting career.

Jong Kook mind started getting frustrated finding out that his girlfriend used to be engaged. It was a real big surprise to him but the shocking news had yet to come. Ji Hyo disappeared to her bedroom for a minute. She came back with a picture in her hand and gave it to Jong Kook. He was in shock seeing younger Ji Hyo in the picture looking gorgeous in a wedding gown and next to her was a man, a very handsome one in tuxedo. They were smiling happily. Jong Kook felt like seeing that man somewhere. He tried to dig in his memory to find out who that handsome guy was.

  • Wasn’t it actor Lee Dong Wook – he yelled out loud after remembering the man from the picture. – I remember him. He was a rising star 15 years ago but suddenly passed away from a tragic accident – Jong Kook spoke out loud but he quickly realized the situation and got quite right away looking at the devastated Ji Hyo. Her tears were about to come out of her eyes.
  • N-ne, he was Lee Dong Wook. We supposed to marry 15 years ago. Everything was all set but I got mad at him the day before the wedding because he showed up late for our rehearsal dinner deal to his filming. On our wedding day, I was excitedly waiting for him at the church. Our family and friends already showed up but Dong Wook was nowhere to be found. I was worry and asked his best man – Ji Hyun - who was also a close friend of us where Dong Wook was. He said that Dong Wook wanted to go buy me a bouquet of purple tulip as apology for being late the night before. He supposed to be at the church by then already but no one saw him. I got worried and called him many times but no one picked up the phone. When the ceremony was supposed to start, I received a phone call from his number. I was happy thinking that it was him but it was the police. He called to inform that Dong Wook was in a car accident while crossing the street. I ran out of the church with my full wedding gown to the scene but it was too late. Dong Wook lied unconsciously on the ground with the bouquet of purple tulip still on his hand. I hugged his bloody body tightly and begged everyone to help him but they all shook their head. “He was already gone miss” – a police officer told me but I refused to accept that fact. I kept sitting in the busy intersection and shook his body hoping that he would wake up but he didn’t. He forever gone that day. I hugged him so tight that I could feel his soul left his body and a part of my soul left me that day too. – Ji Hyo started choking in tears and her words couldn’t make sound any more.
  • It’s ok honey. It was the past. – Jong Kook gently hugged Ji Hyo’s shaking body. It was hard on her to recall the incident that she wanted to forgot 15 years ago.
  • It was my fault that he died. If I wasn’t so selfish and childish, got mad at him for silly reason then he wouldn’t have to go get the bouquet and got into that incidence. I was the one that killed him oppa – Ji Hyo busted out of tears. She was crying and yelling in devastation.
  • It was not your fault Ji Hyo ah. Don’t blame yourself. – Jong Kook gently comforted Ji Hyo. It hurt him seeing her crying so much. He had known her for 5 years but that was the first time he saw her that devastated. She cried so much that she couldn’t breathe. Her heart must be hurt really badly that she had to keep rubbing on her chest to soften the pain.
  • It was definitely my fault. That’s why in the last 15 years in that very same day I am always very gloomy and low spirit. I visited his grave every year. I also did it this year and it was the day that we got into the fight. Now you understand why I’m always disappeared from the world that very day every year. Do you still want to love me? – Ji Hyo asked in tears.
  • Of course I do. I don’t understand why you think I wouldn’t. It must be hard keeping that painful memory by yourself all these years Ji Hyo ah. – Jong Kook gently said and landed a soft kiss on Ji Hyo’s head. - You silly girl, you should have told me sooner so we can avoid all the fight.
  • Don’t you get mad that I’m still missing my first love from 15 years ago and still visiting his grave every year?
  • Of course not. If I’m in your shoes, I will do the same thing. I know it was a big scar to you so I will never asking you to stop remembering him or visiting his grave. You can do whatever you think is right. I am not jealous with the past because I know I’m your present and you love me. Am I right? – Jong Kook asked with a sweet smile.
  • Thank you for understanding oppa. You are such a great man. I was worry so much not knowing how to face you – Ji Hyo sobbed
  • I’m glad you told me about your past Ji Hyo ah. It means you really trust me right? – asked Jong Kook
  • Of course oppa, you are the first one beside my family member knowing about this. Do you still want to be with a girl that almost got married once?
  • Of course yes, I want to be with you more than ever. Please don’t being hurt by yourself any more ok? Let me know about all your problem and sadness. It will be much better than keeping it to yourself. I want to be with you now and in the future too so you have to learn to share your hardship with me, do you understand? – said Jong Kook with a gentle tone
  • N-e. I understand oppa. – Ji Hyo said while snugging in Jong Kook chest. She felt great after letting all the sad memory out. She was happy that she could finally be honest with Jong Kook and grateful that Jong Kook was an understanding man. She hadn’t felt that peaceful for a long time lying in Jong Kook arms.
  • Let’s get rest ok? You must be very tired. – Jong Kook gently said and carried Ji Hyo in bridal style to her bed. He spent the night at her place and hugged her tightly to sleep. He was happy that he finally broke down the invisible wall between them. He believed there was more trust in their relationship now than ever before. He promised himself to treat her even better from that day on after understanding how much pain she had to bear for the last 15 years.

It was 1 A.M, Jong Kook was deeply asleep. Ji Hyo lightly pulled Jong Kook’s arm from her waist and walked to the kitchen with the phone on her hand. She dialed the number named Ji Hyun.

  • Oppa, can I see you tomorrow at your clinic? I have a favor to ask… - Ji Hyo softly said on the phone