Chapter 48 - Getting permission

The Heart

“Let’s go see our parents tomorrow and talk about the wedding ok?” – Jong Kook asked Ji Hyo as they were having dinner at home.

“Do we have to talk to parents? I am not really good with adult.”- Ji Hyo said, sulky.

“We have to get approval from parents. That the way it should be.” – Jong Kook explained.

 “I know that we will have no problem with my parents because they love you so much.” – She said, picking on her food.

“Do they?” – Jong Kook excitedly asked

“Of course, why else they let you live with their amnesia daughter?”

“That is good to hear.”

Ji Hyo sighed. She suddenly lost her appetize. -  “I am only worried about your parents. They must hate me very much.” – Said Ji Hyo, worried.

“Why do you think that?” – Jong Kook caressed Ji Hyo’s head, concerned.

“Well, I left you for another man then I destroyed your wedding. I don’t think any parent would want a daughter in law like me, oppa.” – She putted down her chopsticks, exhaled sharply.

“Don’t think like that.” – He softly said. – “They will understand your situation. Plus, who doesn’t like our Song Ji Hyo? The whole nation loves you” – He looked brightly at her, raised his eyebrow with encouragement.

“I don’t know, oppa. I have a bad feeling about this.” – She said, worried.

“Don’t be like that. Everything is going to be ok.”

“What if it is not ok oppa? What if your parents don’t give us their blessing? What if they prohibit you from marrying me oppa?” – Ji Hyo asked, frustrated.

“Calm down.” – He gently said, wrapped his arm tightly around her shoulders. –“Even if it happens, we are still going to get married. It is nice to have my parents’ approval but it is not necessary. I can’t wait to marry you and I will not let anyone or anything stops me from doing that.” – Jong Kook firmly stated

“But then your parents will be mad at you oppa. I don’t want to jeopardize your relationship with your parents.” – She softly said.

He planted a soft kiss on her head and smiled softly – “Our Ji Hyo is always so thoughtful. You even think for my parents too. They will be happy having a considerate daughter in law yeobo. Don’t worry too much ok? What will be will be. We will earn their blessing, alright?”

“N-ne” – She answered, low voice, leaning her head tiredly on his chest. Her heart felt heavy thinking about the meeting tomorrow. She had a bad feeling. Even her head was 15 years old, she was still able to predict that a family conflict was about to rise.

They decided to meet up with Ji Hyo’s parents first. Jong Kook dressed in a handsome suit that he only saved for special occasion while Ji Hyo putted on an elegant white dress, discreet and innocent. They spent hours on the market trying to look for the gifts for both families. It wasn’t easy to decide so they ended up buying whole bunch of gifts that filled up their whole car.

“Ding Doong” – Ji Hyo pressed her parents’ doorbell as Jong Kook nervously kept fixing his attire.

“You are very handsome already, oppa.” – Ji Hyo teased

He smiled, couldn’t response to Ji Hyo as his throat was dry from nervousness.

“Unnie, hyoengbo, what are you doing here?” – Shin Hye opened the gate and greeted.

“We are here to see omma and oppa.” – Ji Hyo told Shin Hye as they walked inside the house.

“Ji Hyo, Jong Kook, what are you doing here?” – Ji Hyo’s mother happily welcomed them.

“We come to see you omma.” – Ji Hyo ran to her mother and gave her a big hug while Jong Kook shook hand with her father.

Jong Kook politely gave Ji Hyo’s parents the gifts that prepared.

“Why do you two have to give us so many gifts?” – Her father gently scolded

“It is nothing eomoeni, abeoji.” – Jong Kook politely answered. His hand kept twisting together from nervousness.

“So what bring you two here today?” – Her father asked.

Jong Kook took a deep breath – “Please give us your permission to get married.” – He nervously asked, bow his head 90 degree.

Her parents were in surprise for a second then blissfully agreed – “Of course we are giving you the permission. It is about time.” – Her father happily said, patted Jong Kook on the shoulder.

“Thank you, thank you very much abeoji.” – Jong Kook happily said and released the breath that he had been holding.

“Wow unnie and hyoengbo are finally getting married. I am so excited for you two.” – Sin Hye squealed, giving Ji Hyo and Jong Kook a big hug. “Can I be your maid of honor unnie?” – Shin Hye excitedly asked.

“Sure, so Kwang Soo can be best man too.” – Jong Kook grinned

“Hyoengbo.” – Shin Hye’s face turned red.

“Why? Is there something between Shin Hye and Kwang Soo?” – JI Hyo asked in surprised. No one actually ever told her about Shin Hye and Kwang Soo yet and they kept their relationship low profile.

“Oh I forgot to tell you that Shin Hye and Kwang Soo are dating.” – Jong Kook explained

“What? You are dating with giraffe?” – Ji Hyo squealed.

Shin Hye laughed hard. – “Omo unnie, you react exactly the same as you found out last time.”

“Is he treating you well? Why is he still flirting with the female idols on the show” – Ji Hyo frowned

“N-ne, he is treating really good unnie. It is just his character on the show; I know he mean well.” – Shin Hye explained.

“Really? Hm… oppa, you have to teach your doengseng ok? Don’t let him hurt my sister or I will cook the giraffe alive.” – Ji Hyo glazed at Jong Kook.

“Arrasso. I will have a good talk with him.” – Jong Kook smiled.

“I am so happy that you two decide to get married. Be happy and give us some grandkids soon ok?” – Her mother said.

Ji Hyo face immediately turned red. – “Why are you talking about grandkid already, omma?” – She frowned.

“Then when you plan to have kid? You are old already.” – Her mother scolded.

“I am not.” – She mumbled

“We will soon eomoeni.” – Jong Kook smiled

“Who give you the right to decide on that?” – Ji Hyo scowled and hit Jong Kook on his arm.

“This girl! Why are you hitting your man like that?” – Her father rolled his eyes at her.

“Appa, I am your daughter, why are you taking his side?” – Ji Hyo complained, sulkily.

“Because you are not behaving well. Be more like a girl, can’t you” – Her father scowled.  – “Jong Kook ah, if she ever dares to misbehave again just let me know ok?” – He turned to Jong Kook and said

“Then I have to call you every day, abeoji.” – Jong Kook teased

“Do you dare?” – Ji Hyo glazed at Jong Kook

“I am just kidding yeobo. You are the best.” – Jong Kook said, rubbing Ji Hyo’s shoulders.

Ji Hyo and Jong Kook spent a happy lunch with Ji Hyo’s family but Ji Hyo couldn’t calm herself from the nervousness of meeting her future parents in law for the first time. She was still feeling uneasy.

After politely said goodbye to Ji Hyo’s parent, Ji Hyo and Jong Kook drove to his house. Ji Hyo kept quiet the whole time they were driving and kept biting her nails.

“Are you ok yeobo? – Jong Kook asked, holding Ji Hyo’s left hand, stopping her from destroying her nails.

“I am just nervous.” – Ji Hyo said, low voice.

“Don’t be. Things will be ok.” – He said but he was not any less nervous than her.

After the wedding, his parents kept yelling and crushing him about that incident. They said he embarrassed them in front of the future in law as well as their friends and relatives. He actually hadn’t come back home for a long time. The last time he visited his parents when Ji Hyo was still in coma. He came after they called him for more than 100 times. His father was more lenient because he understood his situation. Even though his father was angry but still, he didn’t want his son to step on the same path that he went through. He knew it better than anyone marriage like that would always end up in disaster. Jong Kook would be miserable and so Soo Jin.

 However, his mother was not that understanding. Soo Jin was the one his mother picked and also the daughter of her mother’s best friend. She was furious the moment Jong Kook ran away from the wedding. She insisted him on begging Soo Jin for forgiveness and redoing the wedding but he refused to do that. He made it clear to them that he would never marry anyone beside Song Ji Hyo. His mother was furious and declared that she would disown him if he ever dared to take Ji Hyo as his wife. He hadn’t come back home ever since. But here they are, in front of his parents’ house, both were nervous, hoping for the best.