Chapter 8: I feel it .

Ugly Beauty (seventeen fanfic)

*In the living room* 

You were pretty tired and just wanted to go home. "I'm sorry but I think I'm just gonna go home."
"Why?" Emily asked.
"I'm just really tired. My head hurts."
"There's so many things I wanna tell you but not now. I'll text you soon." Emily warned
"Ok. Whenever works." you waved and said goodbye.
Vernon spoke up. "Wait. I'll drive you"
"No its fine. I'll just walk or bus."
"Do you know how late it is? Nearly 11. I can't let you go alone." he said.
"I'm serious. No need to feel pity for me. Remember my taekwondo? I can handle myself." you said
"Just let him take you home." Emily said.
"He has Lilly to take care of."
"Oh her? I'll take care of her. Don't you worry." she said mischieviously.
"Listen to her." Woozi said.
Vernon raised his eyebrows at you. "How about it?"
"Whatever." you said. 

*LILLY AND JOSHUA RETURN*

"Babe where are you going?" Lilly asks Vernon.
"I'm taking (y/n) home."
Joshua looks at Vernon. "No, let me.Take care of Lilly."
"Emily said sh-"
You cut Vernon off in the middle of his sentence.
"Let's go Joshua" you said pulling his shirt.
"Mhm. Let's go."  
Joshua dropped you off at your house and you guys said your goodnights.  
"Thanks for everything today." you say before closing the car door.
"It's nothing."
"I'm glad I have you by my side." you say.
"I'll always be here." Joshua ensures
You flash him a soft smile. "Goodnight"
"Night"  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a couple of weeks since Emily's birthday. Lilly has been appearing in front of you everyday. Emily told you that she goes to a different school, so whenever she has time she comes here to visit Vernon. But what seemed off to you was that you caught Joshua and Lilly together a couple of times too. You noticed that whenever they talked it seemed as if they were arguing. Although you saw them together you never eaves dropped on them. What they talked about was their business. Also it was the last day of school today so you were extremely happy. 

You were gazing at the clouds on a swing near your school. You felt a pair of hands cover your eyes.
"Guess who?" someone said in a fake deep voice
"Joshuaaaa?" you answered
"How'd you know?"
"You're fake voice wasn't so convincing."
"Awhh" Joshua said disappointed
"Why're you here?"
"So, I had an idea. Since it's the last day of school, I told everyone that we should go camping tonight." said Joshua
"Today? Isn't it supposed to rain?"
"I thought so too, but I checked the weather and it should be fine."
"I've never been camping before." you said
"Really? Well this should be fun for you then!"
"Are we going somewhere far?" you asked
"It's about a 2 hour drive. So sorta."
"Ahh ."
"But don't worry. I'm an expert driver." Joshua insisted.
"It's okay. I can go with Emily or something."
"No. I'm picking you up. Thats final. NO ARGUING"
"Why do you always do this to me."
"Because I like you silly." Joshua said flashing a smile.
"Stop it. No you don't. Why would you. I'm ugly"
"Tsk tsk. I told you. "I'm ugly" is banned from our conversations.
"Sorry." you say sounding guilty.
"It's fine." Joshua said while rubbing your head. "So I'll pick you up in an hour. Get ready and pack your stuff. I'll call you once I'm at the front of your house."
You nod at Joshua's plan and waved goodbye. As soon as he left, Emily appeared.
"(y/n) I need to tell you something.."
"What is it?" you asked
"Remembered on my birthday I told you there were things I needed to tell you but I couldn't."
"Oh, yeah. What is it?"
"First I need to ask you something."
"Yes?" you said nervously.
"Do you like Joshua or Vernon."
You sat staring at the ground, unable to answer her. You couldn't tell her, not because you didn't want to. But because you didn't know who.
"I don't know .." you finally say
"You know how Vernon and Lilly are dating?"
"Yeah."
"They're not really dating .."
"What're you talking about." You were taken back by what Emily just said.
"The truth is that Lilly and Joshua dated years ago but she left him to go to the states. Now she's appeared again for some reason .." Emily explained.
"How do you know all of this?"
"Joshua told me a year ago that he had a girl he fell in love with but she moved to the states and her name was Lilly. I'm pretty sure it's this girl. If not, then I don't know."
"So Vernon and Lilly aren't really dating?" you say slowly.
"I don't think so. This is her plan to get Joshua back. She's "dating" Vernon to get him jealous so he'll go back to her."
"Wow.. this is too much."
"Tell me about it. That dumb son of a b**ch left years ago why is she coming back." Emily said angrily.
"The pain Joshua must've felt." you say sadly.
"He was actually depressed for a while. He said he never wanted to fall for anyone anymore. But then he met you .." she explains
"What do you mean?"  
"Wow.. You're really stupid aren't you."
You didn't want to admit it but you couldn't hold it in any longer. "He likes me huh..?"
Emily starts to clap while you look at her weirdly. "You finally caught along."
"I knew. But I just didn't want to admit it." you say
"Well he really likes you. I don't who you're gonna choose, but whatever you do, let him down gently. He's been through a lot already."
"Mhm .. I know."
Emily changes the subject and breaks the silence. "Alright, well thats all I have to say to you. Are you going camping tonight with us?"
"Yeah. Joshua said he's gonna take me."
"Okay, see you guys tonight." Emily says waving bye.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*With Lilly and Vernon* 

"I don't understand why you made me your boyfriend" 
"It's only for a while. Until Joshua comes back to me then you can run off to your ugly girlfriend." Lilly says with an attitude.
"I told you to not call her ugly."
"I don't know what you see in her. Or rather, I don't know what you and Joshua saw in her."
"Something you clearly don't have." Vernon snapped
"You owe me. The reason why your parents still have their business is because of my family. So just do what you're supposed too. Do you really want to ruin your parents happiness?" Lilly threatened
"Fine. "
"You don't have to take me camping tonight. I'm going with Joshua."
"I'm pretty sure he's taking (y/n)" Vernon said.
"I'll call Joshua telling him I'm sick then he'll take care of me, and you can take (y/n). You guys could go together." she offered.
Vernon thought about it for a second. He was happy that he'd get to be with you, but he was scared to face you.
"Sounds good?" Lilly said.
"Mhm."
"Good. I'll call him right now." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*With you and Joshua*

You were getting ready until your phone rang. You saw the contact name, it was Joshua. He must've been outside your house.
"Hello?" you answered.
"I'm outside. Come out."
"Okay. Wait a minute" you said trying to hurry.

*Outside*

"Ready?" asked Joshua
"Yup!" you said cheerfully.
Joshua's phone started to ring.
"Hello?" Joshua answered.
"It's me Lilly *cough*"
"Can you he- *sneeze* *cough*"
"What? Are you okay?"
"I'm so sick. I can't go camping today. Can you come and give me some medicine, or take care of me?" Lilly asked.
"Ask Vernon." Joshua implied
"He's busy."
"I'm taking (y/n) camping"
"Call Vernon and tell him to."
"Don't you have any medicine at home?"
"Please Joshua. I feel like I'm dying. My stomach hurts too." she lied.
"Alright... Wait at your house."
You weren't sure what happened but Joshua had a upset look on his face.
"What's wrong?" you asked.
"Lilly is sick and wants me to take care of her."
"What about Vernon. Why you?" you pretended not knowing anything about him and Lilly's past.
"She said that he had to take care of some business with his parents so he didn't pick up. Vernon told her to call me, and he'll take you camping."
"It's fine. I'll just stay home then."
"No. He's already on his way. Look he's here." Joshua says pointing down the road

*Vernon's car pulls up*

Vernon steps out of the car. "Hi."
"Hi" you say.
"Go (y/n). Have fun." Joshua said.
"Ready?" Vernon asks.
"Mhm."
He opens the door for you and gets your stuff. After you get in his car Joshua gets in his and drives off.
The car ride was super quiet. Vernon some music and made it less awkward.

"Sooo.." Vernon says.
"How're things with you and Lilly?" you ask
"We're fine."
"Why aren't you taking care of her."
"Oh, I was too busy too. I asked Joshua to look after her for a bit, and decided to drive you to the camping site. After I drop you off I'm going  back." he explains.
"Oh. Why aren't you staying."
"Joshua should go on the camping trip. I'll take care of my girlfriend."
Girlfriend. She's not really your girlfriend is she? If she isn't then what are we? Are we something? You thought to yourself. That was the last thing  said for another hour .

*With Joshua and Lilly*

Joshua arrived at Lilly's old house. He hasn't been here in forever. It brought backs memories. Enjoyable ones and horrible ones. 
"You're here." Lilly says opening the door.
"Heres your medicine. Why don't you look sick?" Joshua says putting the bag on the counter.
"I'm not really sick. I just wanted time with you." she admits
"Lilly. Stop it. You left me and that's it. I don't want to be with you anymore."
"WHY? CAN'T YOU GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE?" Lilly pleaded
"I did.. I waited for you. For 3 years. Now I'm over it. I'm over you.."
"JOSHUA DON'T SAY THAT. WHY CAN'T WE JUST FORGET EVERYTHING AND START OVER?"
"Because it doesn't work like that.. I can't see you as my girlfriend anymore. That's spots been taken. I'm sorry Lilly." Joshua explains
"Is it (y/n)..?" she says with tears on the rim of her eyes.
Joshua doesn't say anything.
"ANSWER ME!" she demanded
"Mhm.."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*With you and Vernon*

The car ride remained quiet until the rain accompanied you guys.
"Oh no it's raining" you say
"Should we just keep going?" you ask
"We're an hour away still."
"Let me try calling everyone else" you insisted
"You won't get phone service here."
You checked your phone and he was right. Zero bars. 

*BOOM* 

"What was that." you asked Vernon. 
"I don't know let me go check." 
"No it's raining outside."
"I'll be fine."
"I'll go with you." you insisted
"Stay in here. It'll only be a couple of minutes."
"Okay."
Vernon left the car to see what happened. It turned out that one of his tires had popped.
"What do we do now?" you ask
"I don't know. We can't call for help, and I didn't bring a spare tire. Plus the rain is about to pour down like crazy. I can tell by looking at the cloud."
"Do we just sit here?"
"How about we go find help before it starts to rain harder." Vernon suggested
"Good idea."

By the time you guys found a cabin in the woods the rain was pouring, and thunder was roaring. You knocked and waited for someone to open but there wasn't anyone in there. You tried wiggling the door knob and the cabin opened. The interior looked old but still in good condition. There was a fire place, a small kitchen, a bathroom, and bed.  

"Go dry off. I'll try to start a fire. It's freezing." Vernon said 
Luckily you brought your backpack and the stuff you had packed with you for the camping trip. But of course you grabbed the wrong one. The bag only had toiletries and no clothes or towels. 
"I grabbed the wrong bag.." you said disappointedly.
"It's fine. Just sit here and wait until I find a lighter or something." 
"Let me help." you suggest.
You and Vernon were looking around the house to find matches.
"FOUND IT!" Vernon screamed
 

He started the fire and both of you guys sat near it. Finally you could start to feel your hands again. Vernon took his shirt off to dry it. You couldn't do that obviously. You sat far away from each other which just made everything more awkward. Your body was getting warmer but not warm enough because you started coughing and sneezing. 

"Are you cold?" Vernon asked
"Yeah."
"Here I'll scoot closer. Body heat should help."
"You're shirtless.." you say
"So? It's for survival. Don't think about it. Plus you're gonna get sick"  Vernon said scooting over and putting his arms around you. "Wow, your shirt is soaking wet. Mine should be dry. You can wear it."
"No it's fine. Mine will dry soon too."
Vernon grabs his shirt from the rack and hands it to you. "I won't look. I swear"
You were about to die from the cold so you took it and changed.
"Can I turn around now?" he asked.
"Yeah. Go ahead." you said straightening out the baggy shirt
Vernon sat clos to you but without his arms wrapped around you. It felt good being near him, he gave you a safe feeling.
"Can I ask you something?" Vernon said
"What.." you reply
"Are you and Joshua a thing?"
"I don't know."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, I don't know."
"(y/n)."
"Hm" you say turning your head to face Vernon.
"I like you .. A lot .." he admits.
You couldn't say anything. You sat still waiting for your brain to work again.
"Don't say that.." you said.
"What?"
"It's not true."
"I'm serious. (y/n) I really like you" he says grabbing your hands.
You're tried to yank your arms away from him but his grip was too tight.
"You're just doing this to lure me in. Then watch. You're just going to leave me." you said holding in your anger
"What're you talking about? I real-"
You broke. "STOP. YOUR WORDS ARE EMPTY. THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. You lead me on since the bus ride. You told me to sit next to you, you bidded 2000 dollars on me at the auction. You gave me mouth to mouth at the beach, you told me to hang on to you, you gave me false hopes.. meaningless words."
"It's cause I li-"
"NO YOU DON'T. IF YOU DID YOU WOULDN'T BE PRETENDING TO DATE LILLY."
"How'd you find out .." Vernon said in disbelief. "Whatever, that doesn't matter. Listen (y/n) I do. I really do jus-"
"NO STOP I DON'T WANNA HE-"
Vernon grabbed you tightly on your shoulders and gave you a kiss. Your body tensed up. You pushed,punched and tried to shove him off of you but he held on tightly. You gave up trying to get out of his hold. He finally backed up away .
"I feel it .." you said.
"What .." he asked
"The spark .."