Chapter 12: Engagement

Ugly Beauty (seventeen fanfic)

IN THE CAR WITH YOU AND VERNON*

"Vernon .." you say in awe of his crying. 
He took his hands and started whipping the tears off his face. "Forget what I said." he said acting as if nothing ever happened. 

Confused, you said,"Why would you just confess something like that and tell me to forget?" 

"I couldn't control my emotions. I've held it in for too long. But it's too late, there's nothing I can do about it now right? You're with Joshua. I'm with Lilly." he said the hope out of you. 

"Oh.. I guess you're right." you say. 
"I'm sorry. I'll just continue to drive." he said starting the car again. 

You only nod your head. You guys didn't say a word to each other for the whole car ride. The only time you did was to say your goodbyes when he dropped you off. 
 

*AT THE HOSPITAL WITH JOSHUA AND LILLY*

"What don't you understand?" Joshua said in disbelief. 

"What I don't understand is why you like that girl." Lilly says.

"She's not you. That's what I like about her." 

"I know I did wrong Joshua. I'm sorry for leaving you. But I had no choice." she begged.

"What do you mean you had no choice? Whatever the reason was, couldn't you at least left a note? A voicemail? A phone?" Joshua says getting louder.

"MY FATHER WAS DYING WHAT COULD I DO." Lilly shouted.

Joshua's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "W-what? Say that again?" 

Lilly started crying. "My father was at his last stage of cancer.. My mom told us that I had to go all of the sudden. I didn't have time do anything, right after school I had to go. The day before our anniversary." 

"Why didn't you tell me? .." 

"I couldn't. I was a coward. Leaving you hurted me, I didn't have the courage to tell you."

 

Lilly's mom ran barged into the room. Joshua hasn't seen her in years, memories came back to him. The first time him and Lilly's mom met they clicked. Joshua was supposed to be her future fiance.. until she left him.
 

"MY POOR DAUGHTER. WHAT HAPPENED." she said pushing Joshua over. 

"Mom.. why're you here? Aren't you busy running the company?" 

"Whatever about the company. My poor baby.." she said tears forming. 

"Hi Mrs.Lee.. I haven't seen you in a while." Joshua suddenly spoke up.

"Joshua? I haven't seen you in years. What happened to her." Mrs.Lee asked. 

"We went hiking with some friends and in order to save one of our friends she fell down the path .. and now her legs are in this state.."

"WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING?" she screamed. 

"I-I'm sorry. I couldn't do anything." 

Lilly grabbed her moms arms trying to calm her down. "Mom .. I'll be ok. The doctor says I need to take medicine and do physical therapy and I can walk again. Don't yell at him, he didn't do anything wrong. It was my fault." she said innocently. 
"Where's the person you tried to help?" her mom ask. 
"Her name is (y/n).. Joshua's girlfriend." Lilly said. 

"Joshua, you have a girlfriend ?"

Joshua nodded his head. 

"I want to meet her. How could she do this to my child. What type of person is she that you put your own life on the line for?" Mrs.Lee said. 

"I did something wrong to her and I just wanted to repair our friendship. It was an accident no one saw coming mom .." 

Joshua stared at Lilly. He was so shocked by how good of a liar she was, and how she played everything out. This was a side that he's never seen. 

"Joshua, you can leave. I'll take care of Lilly now." 
"Bye Mrs.Lee" Joshua said leaving the room. 
"I'm so sorry this happened to you honey." Mrs. Lee said hugging Lilly. 

"Mom it's ok. No one expected this. It's unfortunate that I won't be able to walk anymore but with physical therapy everything will be ok."
"Everything's been so hard since your father abandoned the company and got married to someone else." Mrs.Lee says. 

The truth was that Lilly's dad didn't die. Their parents got a divorce because he fell in love with another women. Lilly and her mom left to the states in order to start over and get help to keep the company in order.

"I've been such a bad mom. I haven't done anything for you. All of my time has been devoted to the company and now you're in this state." her mom said crying. 
"No don't say that mom." Lilly said while trying to persuade her mom to stop crying. 

"Is there anything that my little girl wants? Anything. Tell me and I"ll get it for you right away." her mom offered. 

Lilly wasn't sure if her mom would really get this for her but she said it anyways."Well.. It's not something, but someone." she said coyly. 

"Someone?" her mom said confused. 

"Mom. I wasn't able to say goodbye to Joshua when we left the states. When we first came back to Korea I wanted to get back with him. But now he has a girlfriend ..I fell down the edge in order to save his girlfriend but he still doesn't want me.." she explained. 

"I see. What kind of girl is she that he doesn't want you?"

"She's nothing special. I don't know why but mom my heart hurts because of him." she said placing her fist on her chest. 

"Alright. For my baby I will do anything." 

"But mom, how will you? It's not going to be that easy." Lilly asks.

"I'll personally talk to her. If that doesn't work, I always have people to do the negotiating for me." 

"Thanks mom. I love you so much!" she says pulling her mom in for a hug.

"Anything for my little princess" 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Later that night Joshua called to check up on you 
"Are you okay?" he asked. 
"I don't know." 

"It's not your fault." 

No matter what anyone said the guilt was still there. "But if I wasn't so stupid then none of this would've happened." you said.
"It's mine ." he says. 

"How is it your fault? You didn't know that she was coming back, please don't blame yourself." you said.

"Then you stop blaming yourself. You're just as innocent." 

"I wish I was the one that fell down the cliff.." 

"Please don't say that. Hearing that scares me." 
"I'm sorry but I just can't help it right now. The emotions are so strong that I don't even filter my words, they just keep coming out." you admit. 

"Just say whatever you want with me. Don't worry, I'll never judge you. I'll be comforting you instead, and I'll do anything to make you happy." he says. 

"Same thing with me. Whatever you want to say always say it. Don't keep your feelings bottled up. Nothing good ever comes out of it." 

"Thanks (y/n)." 

"Of course." 

"Since you said that can I say something?" he asks. 

"Go ahead." you insisted.

He took a deep breath in and said, "I love you (y/n)." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~NEXT MORNING~

*PHONE RINGS* 

It was only 6 in the morning and someone was already calling you. The caller ID had unknown on it. 

"Hello?" 

"Mrs. (y/n)?" 

It was an unfamiliar voice. You've never heard it in your life, was someone playing a prank on you? You thought to yourself. 

"Yes.. Who is this?" you asked. 

"I'm Lilly's mother. Mrs.Lee." 

You pulled yourself out of bed once you heard that it was Lilly's mom. What would she want with you? How'd she get your number? There were endless questions running through your mind. 
"O-Oh. Is there something I can do for you?" you ask. 

"Could you meet me at the cafe across your street in 5 please. I'm a busy women, and I only have a couple of things to say to you so I'll make it fast. Don't waste my time." she said hanging up the phone. 
While you were getting ready you realized how doesn't she know that there was a cafe across your street? Was this a stalker? Either ways you got dressed and left the house. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~AT THE HOSPITAL~ 
 

Emily and Woozi came to visit Lilly because they didn't get a chance to meet with her yesterday. They brought flowers and "GET WELL SOON!" balloons along with them. 
 

"Why're you here? Don't you hate me?" Lilly said. 

"I hate you but you nearly died so I felt bad." Emily says putting the flowers on the table. 

"I guess me nearly dying brought us closer." 

"Don't get too happy." Emily warns her. 

"How're you feeling?" Woozi asks Lilly.

"I'm a bit groggy. I can't really do anything. The nurses do EVERYTHING for me. And I mean EVERYTHING. I mean with my legs I can't do much." 

"I see. When're you starting physical therapy?" he asks.

"Starting tomorrow or in a few days." she explains. 

"Ahh. I hope you feel better though." Woozi says.

"Thanks. You guys must be busy. It's nice that you dropped in to visit me." Lilly said. 

"What exactly happened?" Emily asked.

"Oh .. about that.. I don't think (y/n) is really who you think she is. I asked about her and Joshua, and if they're dating. Then she asked me about Vernon. We talked for a bit but then I wanted to go get some water, so while I was walking I tripped over a rock and lost my balance. But instead of helping me she pushed me..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

*AT THE CAFE* 
 

As soon as you walked through the door you were escorted by a few men to a table where Mrs.Lee was sitting. 
"Mrs.Lee?" 
She took off her black sunglasses that covered half of her face. "Alright I'll make this short." 

"Huh?" you said. 

"My daughter clearly loves Joshua, but he loves you. You're the one that should've fallen down but she put her life on the line to save you. Am I right?" 

"Y-Yeah .." 

"Don't you feel guilty?" 

"I do." you admit.

"Then give Joshua to her." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*BACK TO THE HOSPITAL* 

"WAITTT. WHAT?" Emily asked. 

"I'm serious. This isn't a lie." Lilly said.

"(y/n) would NEVER do something like that. I don't know what happened between you but she's not the type of person to do ANYTHING OF THAT SORT. So you better start telling the truth before I-"


Lilly's mom barged into the room all of the sudden yelling at Emily. 

"WHO ARE YOU . WHO THINKS YOU CAN YELL AT MY DAUGHTER LIKE THAT HUH?" 

"I'M SORRY BUT YOUR DAUGHTER IS A LIAR. (Y/N) WOULD NEVER PUSH HER OFF A CLIFF. YOUR DAUGHTER WOULD BE THE ONE TO DO THAT!" Emily barked back. 
 

"MY DAUGHTER? NEVER. IT'S THE TRUTH. YOUR FRIEND PUSHED HER OFF." 
 

Emily's face softened a bit. Her facial expression was unreadable. Although she didn't want to believe it, hearing it from another person threw her off.. 
 

"But.. No .. She wouldn't." Emily said in disbelief. 

"Believing it or not is your choice. You can leave now." 
 

"Come on babe. Let's leave." Woozi said holding Emily's hand. 
 
Emily didn't fight back. She hung her head low and walked out. 

"Mom, you played along?" Lilly asked her mom. 

 

"I wasn't sure what was happening but I just went along." 

 

"You do know that didn't really happen right?" 

 

"I know. But in order to get you what you want I have to lie." her mom admitted. 
 

"Thanks mom. So what happened when you went to talk with her?" Lilly asked. 
 

"She said refused the offer. I told her half a million and still nothing." her mom explained. 
 

"Really?" 

"Yeah. I'm surprised she denied it. I guess we're just going to have to try Joshua." her mom said. 
 

"Alright.. but what if that doesn't work?" 
 

Her mom sighed and said. "Then we get physical .." 
 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joshua came to the hospital later by a from call from Mrs.Lee. 
 

"You called me?" Joshua asked. 

"Do you love Lilly still?" 

"Mrs.Lee.."
 

"You were supposed to be our son in law. How come you don't want her anymore?" she asks. 

"I'm sorry. I just can't be with her. After she left without telling me anything I was hurt. I just don't want to be with her anymore. Or relationship will never go as deep as it used to be." Joshua said.

"Then what about (y/n)? What do you see in her?" 
 

"She's just different. Not like any other girl. I'm just attracted to her.. I can't explain it any further." he explained. 
 

"Do you love her?" 

Joshua nodded. 

 

"Well you don't want your loved ones getting hurt do you?.." she asked. 
 

"What're you trying to say." 

"If you go to Lilly then I won't hurt her. But if you don't, I'm sorry to say this but, I will.." 

"Why're you acting like this?" Joshua asked. 

"Because, you're the one that she jumped off the cliff for. In order to get you back, she did that for YOU. She sacrificed her legs for you. She has to spend her whole life in a wheelchair now. It's YOUR FAULT. So why can't you sacrifice something for her?" 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Later that day Joshua called Vernon to talk, they met up at Joshua's house. 
 

"Why'd you call? Don't you hate me now?" Vernon asked. 
 

"No. I need you to do something for me." Joshua said. 
 

"What." 

"Could you take my place?" 
 

Vernon was taken back by Joshua's sudden request. "What're you talking about?" he asked confused. 
 

"(y/n). Take her and love her." 
 

"Wait, wait, hold up. Are you going somewhere?" 
 

"No. I'm going to be here of course. But just promise to take care of her if I ever do anything stupid." 
 

"Dude. Are you okay? Do you have cancer or something?" Vernon asked. 
 

Joshua laughed at Vernon's comment. 
 

"Aha nothing of that sort. Can't you just promise me that?" 
 

"Of course.. I'm sorry for how I've acted. I just couldn't control myself. Seeing you with her, it was too painful for me. I always screw everything up." Vernon confesses to Joshua. 
 

"Don't worry. I'm about to screw everything up.." 
 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Later that day everyone came to visit Emily at the hospital. There were flowers and balloons everywhere in her room. They even got to meet Mrs.Lee

"How're you doing Lilly?" Jeonghan asked. 

"I'm getting better. Physical therapy is hard. It's not as easy as I thought it would be." she said. 
 

"Oh I see." he replied.
 

"Oh yeah. We have an announcement to make." Mrs.Lee said. 
 

Joshua stood up and walked over to Lilly's bed and took her hand. You were so confused by the sudden action. 
 

"What're you doing .." Emily asked. 
 

"Joshua .." Vernon said. 
 

"Guys.. me and Lilly decided to get back together." he said with a smile.
 

"Wait what ..?" Woozi said surprised. 

Everyone looked at each other to see if anyone knew anything. 

"Joshua, I'm confused." you say. 
 

He looks at Lilly and then back at you. "(y/n) I can't be with you anymore.. I'm sorry. Let's break up." 

"Why.. all of the sudden? Without any warning? Did I do something?" 
 

"No, it wasn't your fault.. I just had a change in heart. Seeing Lilly like this breaks my heart and I thought I should be the one taking care of her.."
 

"PAUSE. ISN'T LILLY DATING VERNON" Hoshi asked all of the sudden. 
 

"Oh yeah Vernon.. We're over." Lilly says. 
 

"Wow. Okay then." Vernon said. 
 

Everyone didn't know how to react. This was all too fast. Why did Joshua break up with you? When did they get back together? You felt hurt and confused. 

"Actually.. They're getting engaged soon.." Mrs. Lee announces. 
 

"Joshua.." you said.