Chapter 45: Torn Heart

I'm Not Cute!

Eunhyuk’s POV

It’s him. It really is him. Donghae is actually here, standing right in front of me. This is real, right? It has to be real.

 

 

“I’m surprised you get here before I did, let alone which place to go to without asking first or replying to the text last night. How did you know it was me?” Donghae asked before walking a bit closer to me.

 

 

“I didn’t. At first I had a feeling it was Siwon, but I really hoped it would be you,” I confessed shyly as I turned my attention toward the ground. I sensed him nod his head and he gestured his hand towards one of the tables, most likely telling me to take a seat. As I sat down, he went up to the cashier who had finally came out from the back and ordered a slice of strawberry cake, probably for me, and a cup of Americano coffee. Since when did he start drinking coffee? After he paid for the items, he came back to sit down at the table with me and placed the slice in front of me before taking a sip of his coffee. I smiled a bit after taking bite. It made me remember the first time Donghae took me on a date here.

 

 

Although, I couldn’t help but notice how silent Donghae was being. This isn’t his normal self. In fact, his expression looks a little sad for some reason. I had imagined that once we saw each other, he’d be so happy and hug me like always, but ever since he walked in here, he hasn’t even smiled once. Something is definitely wrong. I just hope it isn’t my fault.

 

 

“What have you been up to lately?” he suddenly asked. I stared at him for a moment. I really haven’t done much besides trying to get a hold of him. That was practically what I was doing every single day. He never once left my mind.

 

 

“I’ve been searching for you,” I answered. I saw him tense up a bit but nevertheless kept silent, so I just continued to speak. “I tried calling you multiple times and left a bunch of text messages but you never responded; not even once. It’s like you kind of just drifted off somewhere right after we all got back from vacation.”

 

 

“I got a new phone and changed my number the other day,” Donghae replied rather bluntly. I felt a small pain in my chest. He didn’t even bother to tell me that he changed his number and he doesn’t even look apologetic about it.

 

 

Something isn’t right. There’s something definitely wrong with Donghae right now. He isn’t being is usual self around me.

 

 

“Where have you been all this time?” I asked curiously. I need know where he’s been. I need to know what he’s been doing. I need to know if something changed.

 

 

I need to know if he’s still in love with me.

 

 

“Dancing.”

 

 

“Dancing?”

 

 

“I’m a trainee at SM Entertainment, remember? I’ve been over there and other dance studios practicing. I needed time off from everything else around me in order to practice properly. I want to be a professional dancer, you know? It’s my dream.”

 

 

“Yeah, I remember.” I felt a little relieved after knowing where he’s been all this time. But still, how was it possible that I couldn’t find him at all?

 

 

“And all of that training paid off.”

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

“I’m not a trainee anymore and I’m making my debut soon. Well, sort of. I’m starting as a back-up dancer for another artist in September.” My eyes widened and I smiled.

 

 

“Donghae, that’s great! You finally did it! I’m so proud of you!” I cheered, but my smile immediately disappeared when I didn’t get any reaction from him. Not even a grin formed on his face. He didn’t seem happy with what he told me. “What’s wrong? You’re not happy about it? Didn’t you come here to tell me that?”

 

 

He looked straight into my eyes and I couldn’t tell what he was feeling. He wasn’t happy; he wasn’t sad. It was like he was showing me a whole new emotion that I couldn’t figure out. He was silent for a moment; like he was having trouble talking. I felt my heart start pounding. For some reason, I felt scared for what he was about to say next, and I didn’t want to hear. Eventually, he opened his mouth to speak, and his exact words were what I didn’t want to hear from him.

 

 

“It’s an American artist. I have to go to America. I have to live in America starting in September.”

 

 

What?

 

 

“I didn’t come here just to tell you that I became a dancer.”

 

 

Donghae, no.

 

 

“I came here to tell you that I’m leaving.”

 

 

Please, Donghae, no.

 

 

“And I just wanted to say-”

 

 

Please don’t say it.

 

 

“I’m sorry and-”

 

 

Please!

 

 

“Goodbye.”

 

 

My heart hurts. It hurts. It’s like a thousand needles are piercing through it. It’s like Donghae threw a thousand needles at my heart. It hurts. It hurts so much.

 

 

Donghae is leaving. He’s leaving me; forever. How could this happen? Didn’t he say that he loved me? Then why is he leaving?

 

 

Without thinking, I stood up from my chair and walked out of the building. Before I could even think of a place to go to, I felt Donghae grab my arm and pull me back to stop me from going anywhere.

 

 

“Let go of me,” I ordered.

 

 

“Wait a minute. I had a feeling you might feel a little upset about it but-”

 

 

“A little upset!? Are you kidding me!? You thought I’d only feel a little upset about you leaving forever!? I spent the last couple of months looking for you; wondering where you might be. I tried calling you multiple times only to receive no response. I had no idea that you changed your number. I spent this entire time worrying about you and wondering where you could’ve been. I looked everywhere for you! It hurt not knowing where you were. I tried so hard to find you because it felt like I lost you forever. I wanted to find you so you wouldn’t go away from me again. And now that I’ve finally found you, you tell me that you’re leaving me again; forever. And you thought I’d only feel just a little upset about that!?” I screamed at him.

 

 

“W-well-”

 

 

“Whatever happened to you loving me forever? Was that all a lie? Was everything you said to me all a damn lie? Did you just spend all this time with me playing with my feelings? Ever since the day that I met you, I couldn’t figure out just who the hell you really are. And now, I completely have no idea who you are; not even a clue! I actually thought you cared about me this entire time, but now I see that you obviously don’t.”

 

 

“But-!”

 

 

“I can’t believe I even thought for a second that I could be in love with someone like you. Just who the hell do you think you are!?”

 

 

“You’re misunderstanding me-!”

 

 

“Oh really? Tell me it’s a lie then. If you not leaving, then that means that you still love me. Tell me that this whole thing was just a joke. Tell me that you’re not leaving me forever.” By this time, I had already felt tears roll down my cheeks. How many times have I cried in front of Donghae? How many times have I cried because of Donghae?

 

 

Donghae, please tell me it’s all a lie. You’re hurting me.

 

 

He let go of his grip on my arm and dropped it to his side. His head hung low for a moment. He looked anywhere except at me. He didn’t even want to look at me. He was silent. And his silence was a better answer than his next.

 

 

“I’m sorry, Hyukjae.”

 

 

My heart is torn; torn into a thousand pieces. And I can’t put it back together. As I try to pick up the pieces, they only cut my hands and they start to bleed. My hands are shaking. I can’t feel anything in my body. I don’t know what to do. It hurts to move. It hurts to think.

 

 

All I remember are my feet running away from the man whom I still love as he calls out my name.


A/N: Hey guys, sorry this took a while. College has really stressed me out this semester. But even though finals are next week, I still managed to write this out for you guys. Also, sorry its shorter than usual. But I did promise to finish this, so that's exactly what I'm doing. Winter break will come in a blink of an eye, so hopefully I'll be able to update another chapter as soon as possible. Again, thanks for sticking with this story! I really do love each and every one of you <3 Please comment, subscribe, and vote! <33333333

(Please see previous chapter if you missed my announcement at my last update)