Chapter 41: Separation

I'm Not Cute!

Ryeowook’s POV

I heard my phone ring from across the room just as I was about to get ready for bed. Listening to the ringtone that was playing, I smiled to myself. It was the ringtone I had set for Yesung’s phone whenever he would call.

 

 

Quickly, I made my way across the room and reached for my phone that was sitting on top of my nightstand. “Hello? Yesung?” I answered happily. I heard a chuckle at the other end of the line, knowing that he was amused by my eagerness to answer his call.

 

 

“Good evening, Ryeowook. I didn’t wake you up, did I?” he asked concerned.

 

 

“Of course not! I was just getting ready for bed.”

 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was going to ask if you could come over right now. I had something important to tell you, but I guess I’ll just have to wait until tomor-”

 

 

“No! It’s okay! I’ll come over right now!”

 

 

“E-eh!? A-are you sure? It’s pretty late and you were just getting ready to-”

 

 

“It’s no problem at all! I’m coming over right now, okay?”

 

 

“W-wait, Ryeowook! At least let me give you a ride-!” Without hesitation, I hung up and began to get ready to leave for Yesung’s apartment. I giggled to myself, knowing that I left Yesung a little frustrated on the other end of the line. He’s such a worry-wart, but that’s okay. That’s just one of the things I love about him.  Now that I think about it, Yesung and I have been together for quite some time now. We might’ve not been together for an entire year or anything, but nothing has been able to separate us this entire time. I admit that I was worried about his father getting in between us, but nothing has happened to our relationship ever since we decided to be together.

 

 

I smiled to myself before stepping outside and catching the city bus as I made my way over to Yesung’s apartment. It made me happy knowing that nothing is able to separate us. I didn’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t have Yesung by my side anymore.

 

 

Before I knew it, I was already in front of Yesung’s apartment. My smile grew wider as I hopped off the bus and practically sprinted up the stairs to the floor where Yesung was at. I couldn’t even explain how happy I was to see Yesung. I mean, I'm always this happy when I see him. Once I finally reached his door, I panted for a few seconds until I caught my breath and knocked on his door three times.

 

 

 

Yesung wore the biggest smile on his face once he opened the door for me. He hugged me tight before leading me into his apartment (and also nagging at me a little since he was worried about me after I hung up on him earlier. Isn’t he just so cute?). I took a look around the apartment and let out a comfortable sigh. Everything was exactly the same since the last time I came here. A little messy, sure, but still the same. I feel much more at home when I'm with him; it's comforting and it feels good.

 

 

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked him. Suddenly, his smile disappeared and I noticed a hint of sadness in his eyes. Something didn't feel right. He grabbed my hand and led me over to the couch to sit down. I felt a little tense as Yesung sat down next to me. His fingers were fidgeting and he was biting his lip like he was nervous.

 

 

"Ryeowook, I- um...." His words were caught stuck in his throat. I reached over to him and grabbed his hand as I rubbed my thumb against his.

 

 

"It's okay. You can tell me," I reassured. He nodded his head as he took a deep breath before looking at me straight in the eyes.

 

 

"I have to leave."

 

 

My eyes grew wider and my jaw dropped a little. Was I hearing correctly? Did Yesung just say that he had to leave? Where to? Where is he going? What for? When is he leaving? Why is he leaving?

 

 

Why is he leaving…me?

 

 

“Please don’t take this the wrong way!” he stated once he noticed the tears starting to form in my eyes. “I’m not necessarily leaving you, Ryeowook. I would never leave you, nor would I want to. How could I?”

 

 

“T-then why are you leaving? Where are you going? Is this all because of your father!?” So many questions began to fill up my mind; I couldn’t even think straight.

 

 

“No, this has nothing to do with my father. Well, maybe…a little…but he’s not the real reason why I have to leave.”

 

 

“Then why….?”

 

 

“My training paid off.”

 

 

“What training?” I asked.

 

 

“To be a singer. I’m finally going to be a singer. I’m making my debut this winter.” This time, it was my smile that grew wider. Not being able to contain my excitement, I tackled Yesung with a huge hug around his neck.

 

 

“Oh my gosh, congratulations! I knew you could do it! I’m so happy for you!” Tears eventually began to spill out of my eyelids, but they were happy tears. Yesung could only laugh at how happy I was for him than he was. “But wait, I still don’t get it. What does this have to do with you leaving?” His smile turned into a frown in an instant.

 

 

“Well, that’s exactly the problem. My new manager thought it would be a good idea to make my debut as a Korean singer in a different country. More specifically: America. It doesn’t quite make sense to me to make my debut in a place that’s not Korea in the first place, but all I know is that in order for me to fulfill my dream as a singer, I’ll have to leave everything behind. And that includes you,” Yesung explained with sad eyes. My excitement level suddenly dropped back down toward the ground as I took in the information he explained to me.

 

 

Yesung has worked so hard to reach his dream, and now, he’s finally getting his big break. This is what he’s been waiting for this entire time. It’s his time to shine. But in order to be a singer, I’m not allowed to see him anymore. I don’t want Yesung to give up this wonderful opportunity, but I don’t want him to leave me either.

 

 

But I know what’s more important.

 

 

“Ryeowook, I know this must be difficult for you to take in at the moment, but I want you to decide on what I should do. If I become a singer, it’s going to be hard on us to keep our relationship going-”

 

 

“Go.”

 

 

“W-what?”

 

 

I swallowed. “Go ahead. Be a singer.”

 

 

“But, I would have to go to another country and I won’t be able to see you as much as I can now.”

 

 

“Yesung, this is your dream. You can’t just pass this up so easily. It’s what you’ve always wanted. And what I want is for you to be a singer. I want you to be happy while singing on stage because this is what you love to do. Your father doesn’t control you anymore, so this is your only chance. You’ve already come this far, so don’t waste your training and effort. Your moment has come.”

 

“What about you? I don’t want to be away from y-” His sentence was muffled as I placed my lips over his, shutting him up. He tasted sweet, just like he always does. Once I pulled away, tears began to form in my eyes again.

 

 

“I don’t want you to be so far away either, but I don’t want to be in the way of what you really want. You and I both know that singing is way more important than me right now. And it’s okay. I know how much singing means to you. So I want you to go and be a singer. Just know that no matter where you are or what stage you’re performing on, I’ll always be there to cheer you on. I’ll always be smiling and proud of what you’ve accomplished. I love you, Yesung. And I want to support you. This won’t ruin our relationship because I love you too much to let that happen.”

 

 

“Ryeowook…” Yesung continued to look at me with sad eyes.

 

 

“Plus, I’ve always thought long distance relationships are very romantic!” I laughed, but tears eventually rolled down my cheeks. This time, Yesung smiled sadly at me before embracing me in a comforting hug.

 

 

“You have no idea how much I love you, Ryeowook. Thank you so much,” he whispered in my ear. I smiled at his gentleness. After pulling away from his embrace, he wiped the remaining tears off of my face with his thumb.

 

 

“So, when do you have to leave?” I asked.

 

 

“I don’t have to leave until September. So I still have two months left here.” I felt happiness begin to fill me up again. At least I still had two more months until he leaves.

 

 

“Let’s go somewhere, then!” I cheered as I grabbed his hand practically dragged him outside of the apartment and out into the world.

 

 

“Where are we going?” he asked behind me as I continued to drag his hand.

 

 

“I don’t know. Somewhere; anywhere; everywhere! We mustn’t waste these two months doing nothing, so have to do a lot of things together!” Yesung just laughed at my silliness and allowed me to drag him anywhere.

 

 

“I’m in love with a crazy person,” he joked, and I playfully stuck my tongue at him.

 

 

“Oh yeah, that reminds me. What did you mean when you said your father is part of the reason as to why you have to leave?” A slight of disappointment changed his expression.

 

 

“Since he’s given up on me becoming the heir of his company, he wants to force Kyuhyun into becoming the heir. And by becoming the heir, he has an arranged marriage with Hyun Jae, which is also taking place in September, and he’s expecting me to be there for the ceremony.”

 

 

“What!? No, this can’t happen! What about Sungmin? How does he feel about this?” I asked worriedly.

 

 

“Sungmin doesn’t know anything about this. Kyuhyun doesn’t want him to know. But don’t worry. I’ve already told him that I’ll find a way to get him out of this mess.” I nodded my head as I continued to walk hand in hand with Yesung to who-knows-where. I must work hard to make sure Sungmin will be the one to end up in Kyuhyun’s arms.

 

 

Sungmin and Kyuhyun, hwaiting!!

 

 

Eunhyuk’s POV

“Hey, you’ve reached Donghae’s phone! Please leave a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can!”

 

 

*Beep!*

 

 

“Hey, uh, Donghae. It’s me again. Um, listen. Call me back as soon as you get this message, or any of my other messages, okay? I have something important to tell you. Okay, bye!” I pressed the “end-call” button on my phone before tossing it aside and letting out a frustrated sigh as I lay back on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

 

 

It’s been exactly three days since the last time I saw Donghae, which was when we separated at the airport after coming back from Jeju Island. It’s also been exactly three days since I’ve decided to choose Donghae instead of Siwon. I wanted to tell him that, but I couldn’t seem to find him anywhere. I called him only 59 a few times and left just 10 a couple messages on his phone but he hasn’t called back or anything. At first I was worried about him, wondering if something bad happened to him. But now I’m starting to think that he’s just ignoring me for some stupid reason.

 

 

And the most annoying this about all of this is that I can’t stop thinking about wanting to tell him how I really feel about him.

 

 

Feeling rather irritated, I grabbed my phone and got dressed before heading out into town, hoping somehow I could find Donghae in a store or something. I must've looked absolutely pathetic right then. Maybe this wouldn’t have happened if I had chosen him sooner in the first place instead of making him wait so long. Did you know that I could be an idiot sometimes? After an hour of searching everywhere around town, I still couldn’t find him anywhere. He wasn’t even at his house. Feeling tired, I decided to call his phone one last time.

 

 

"Damn it, Donghae. Where are you!?" I yelled out in frustration as I heard his answering machine pick up. I placed my phone back into my pocket as I kept walking around town. I don't understand how he could be missing. What other places could he possibly go to? 

 

 

"Eunhyukkie!" I whipped my head around, hoping to see Donghae, but felt only disappointment as I saw a happy Siwon walk over to me.

 

 

"Oh, hey Siwon," I greeted with a half-smile. 

 

 

"Listen, I just want to apologize for what happened back at Jeju Island-" 

 

 

"Look, Siwon, it’s okay, I forgive you. But I'm kind of in a hurry right now. Do you have any idea where Donghae is?" Siwon's expression switched from happy, to apologetic, to annoyed. He thought for a minute before speaking again. 

 

 

"I haven't seen him. But Hana has been telling me how much fun she's been having with him lately ever since you guys got back. Maybe he's with her," he answered, and I felt my heart almost drop. Why hasn't he been answering my calls? Why has Donghae been with Hana this entire time? In fact, where are they right now? 

 

 

"Alright, thanks." I walked past him as I began my way home. Siwon was calling out for me to come back, but I didn't feel like being with him today. I just wanted to be with Donghae. But where could he be?

 

 

I suddenly feel like this has become a game of Finding Nemo. Only, I’m chasing after a 20-year-old man with the mind of a 5-year-old.

 

 

Lee Donghae, where are you?

 

 

Sungmin’s POV

“K-Kyuhyun!? What are you doing here!?” I exclaimed once I opened my door and found a smiling Kyuhyun standing in front of me. It wa s almost ten o’ clock; what in the world is he doing here!?

 

 

“I just so happened to be in the neighborhood-”

 

Well, that’s a lie,

 

"-and I happened to pass by your house with this paper bag that has a bottle of wine in it-”

 

It’s all lies

 

”-so I thought I’d stop by and share some of this wine with you.”

 

 

I almost snorted. “You’re a terrible liar, you know that?”

 

 

“Do you want some wine or not?” I sighed in defeat as I went back inside to grab two wine glasses for us to use.

 

 

“Why can’t we drink it inside?” he pouted, and I rolled my eyes at him.

 

 

“Because I don’t want you inside my house. Plus the weather is really nice this evening, so let’s just sit out here and drink.” He pouted some more as I gave him the wine glasses. I sat down as he perfectly poured red wine into the glass.

 

 

Kyuhyun handed me a glass of red wine as he sat down next to me on the stairs in front of my front door. I took a sip and enjoyed the refreshing feeling that went down my throat.

 

 

"Do you like it?" he asked. I smiled at him and nodded my head. 

 

 

"You definitely made my night ten times better with this wine," I admitted and he chuckled. 

 

 

"You're so cute." I pouted before sticking my tongue at him. 

 

 

"So what's the real reason why you came to my house so late at night?" I asked him. He just shrugged before sipping on his own glass. 

 

 

"I guess I just wanted some company tonight. Yesung went somewhere with Ryeowook so it got lonely at the apartment. Plus, I miss coming over to your house. Even though we're technically not even in your house, we're just sitting outside 'cause you're a meanie head and won't let me inside." 

 

 

"You're such a kid," I laughed at him and he laughed with me. Then it grew quiet. It wasn't an awkward silence though. It was comforting. Very comforting. I liked being with Kyuhyun at this moment. I really missed doing this. Just being together like this. I rolled the stem of the glass around in my fingers, inspecting the way it glinted in the overhead light .

 

 

"Hey, Sungmin?" 

 

 

"Yeah?" He didn't answer back. I turned my head to look at him. He hung his head low as he looked into his wine glass. He looked like he was having a hard time saying something. What was bothering him? 

 

 

"What would you do if....if....I ever got married anytime soon?" 

 

 

Good thing I wasn’t drinking my wine as he said that or else I would’ve choked. Why was he suddenly asking me such a random question like that? Unless he’s…

 

 

“What? Are you going to get married soon?” I asked as I hung my head low and looked deep into my glass.

 

 

“N-no! I mean, it was just a rhetorical question, that’s all…” he answered as he hung his head low too, looking into his cup. The sudden question got me feeling disappointed for some reason. Wait, no... It’s more than just disappointment. I felt sad. If Kyuhyun ever got married to some girl…

 

 

“I won’t allow it,” I blurted out unconsciously. Kyuhyun jerked his head to look at me with wide eyes.

 

 

“You won’t allow it?”

 

 

“W-well, I mean, c’mon you’re still a kid! Why would a kid be getting married so soon? It’s just not right,” I stated, not wanting him to get the wrong idea.

 

 

“Oh, I see.” Kyuhyun went back to looking into his wine glass and didn’t say another word. He seemed dissatisfied with my answer. Why was he asking such a question anyway? I gave him an honest answer. He’s too young to be getting married so soon. But that’s not exactly what’s bothering me about his question. Even if he was old enough, I still don’t think I would allow him to get married to some girl.

 

 

“Kyu?”

 

 

“Yeah?” I pulled my knees up to my chest and buried half of my face in my lap. I wrapped my arms around my legs, still holding the wine glass firmly in my hand.

 

 

“Don’t get married.” He jerked his head again to look at me, surprised by my statement.

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“Don’t get married. I wouldn’t like it if you did…” I confessed, embarrassingly enough. Why I said that, even I don’t know. It just sort of slipped out. It was silent again for a moment.

 

 

“Okay!”

 

 

“O-okay?”

 

 

“I won’t get married because you told me not to.”

 

 

“Kyuhyun, I didn’t really mean-”

 

 

“I promise that I will never, ever get married to some girl. Especially to someone you wouldn’t like. I promise,” he swore as he stuck out his pinky. I gave him a weird look before rolling my eyes at him and linked my pinky with his, creating a pinky promise. This kid is really annoying, but inside, I was happy and smiling.

 

 

You better keep your promise, Kyuhyun.

 

 

Please don’t get married.


A/N: I'm back with the next chapter! I'm sorry this came out a little late. I planned to have it up by Sunday, but I took longer than I estimated. Mianhe TT^TT Updates are going to be a lot faster now that its summer though! Happy summer everybody ^^ I plan to finish this story up before summer is over. It'll probably end somewhere in the 50s~ I hope you liked this chapter though! I love how all of you freaked over Yeye~ Its okay. That was my plan to ;D Little Eunhae in this chapter since that fish is no where to be found. And thus we end with fluffy Kyumin <3 I can't promise when the next update will be, but it shall be really soon, so please anticipate for the next chapter! Please comment, subscribe, and vote!! <333333333333