Chapter 29: Its Better This Way

I'm Not Cute!

 

Sungmin’s POV

After what seemed like forever, Kyuhyun and I finally had arrived in front of Eunhyuk’s apartment. I could see lights on through his window and shadows, so I assumed that Ryeowook was already there. Operation “Get Ryeowook to tell us what’s wrong” can now start.

 

 

Kyuhyun and I walked up to Eunhyuk’s door, but before I could even ring the doorbell, we found a lonely and depressed Donghae sitting in front of his door.

 

 

“Donghae, what on earth are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked him. Donghae looked up at us and pouted like a little kid.

 

 

“Hyukkie won’t let me in! He said I’m not allowed to be here tonight!” he whined and I noticed that Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. I shook my head before ringing the doorbell, and in a matter of seconds, the door swung open, revealing a happy Eunhyuk.

 

 

“Finally you’re here!” he exclaimed. “Donghae, I told you to go home! It’s only me, Ryeowook, and Sungmin hanging out tonight!”

 

 

“But I wanted to see you!” Donghae cried out, crossing his arms and began pouting some more. How does Eunhyuk put up with him all the time? No, in fact, how can he even like him?

 

 

“C’mon Donghae, let’s leave. Apparently it’s girl’s night tonight.” Kyuhyun smirked as he grabbed a hold of Donghae’s arm and pulled him up. I glared at him because he basically just made fun of us saying that we were girls. He stared at me before smiling and winking at me, making my cheeks become pink again, and began dragging Donghae away. Eunhyuk let me enter his apartment and I saw Ryeowook sitting silently on the couch.

 

 

“Hi Ryeowook! I brought some cake. Do you want some?” I offered as I showed him the cake I brought in a plastic bag. He smiled at me and nodded his head. Usually, Ryeowook would go crazy over any cake that I would bring over, but he just stayed calm this time. He must’ve been thinking about something. I headed over to Eunhyuk’s kitchen and he helped me divide the small strawberry cake (which he was practically drooling over) into three slices. “Has he been this quiet the entire time?” I whispered so Ryeowook couldn’t hear me.

 

 

“Yeah,” Eunhyuk answered. “He’s only said a few words since he’s been here. I can’t really get him to talk much at all.” I sighed as I grabbed a cake and carried it over to Ryeowook who was still sitting on the couch, looking like he was lost in thought. He thanked me quietly before taking the cake and taking a small bit out of it.

 

 

“Ryeowook, are you okay?” I asked seriously towards him.

 

 

“Yeah, hyung. I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

 

“Because you don’t seem like yourself nowadays. Did anything happened?” Eunhyuk asked as he joined in and sat down on the other side of him.

 

 

“N-no. Nothing happened. Everything is f-fine, honestly,” Ryeowook stuttered quietly. He was never a good liar to begin with.

 

 

“Really? Not even anything to do with Yesung?” Ryeowook became frozen for a moment and right then and there I was sure it had something to do with Yesung. Suddenly, he put his cake down and pulled up his knees towards his chest, hiding his face in them.

 

 

“N-no. Of course n-not…” I heard him mumble.

 

 

“Ryeowook, stop lying. If I remember correctly, you were never a good liar back in school. It definitely has something to do with Yesung. What happened? Did you guys have a fight or something?” Eunhyuk continued to ask.

 

 

“I asked Yesung earlier if something happened between them and he said they never fought before. Even he seems worried,” I said.

 

 

“Yesung is worried about me!?” Ryeowook suddenly picked his head up and looked directly at me with wide eyes. I nodded my head slowly and I started to see tears form in his eyes before he hid his face again.

 

 

“Wookie, it’s okay. Just tell us what happened between the two of you. Tell us what he did that made you so upset,” I stated as I began rubbing his back because by then, he started to cry a little. Eunhyuk came closer to him and wrapped an arm around him as well.

 

 

“Y-Yesung didn’t do anything. I-I did,” he cried.  

 

 

“What did you do?”

 

 

“I m-messed up his l-life…”

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

“He could be d-doing better things right with his life right n-now, but instead, I-I was encouraging h-him to continue s-singing. He had a-a good future ahead of him, and he a-always asked me if he should c-continue his singing career. I always told h-him to think about nothing else a-and continue singing. He could be doing other and b-better things if it weren’t for me!” He sobbed like there was no tomorrow. His fragile body began shaking and Eunhyuk and I just kept rubbing his back, hoping he’d calm down.

 

 

What on earth was Ryeowook talking about? This was why he’s been upset? He thinks that he’s ruining his life? I’m sorry, I love Ryeowook and all since he’s my best friend, but that’s got to be the most stupidest thing I’ve ever heard in my life! How could he ever think that way? In fact, who or what made him think that way?

 

 

“What made you think this way?” Eunhyuk suddenly asked him.

 

 

“H-His father. He called for m-me and we had a talk a-about him. He told me to stay a-away from him because I was d-destroying him…” he continued to cry. Now, this just made me angry. I should’ve known this was all his fault.

 

 

“That’s it? That’s the reason why you’ve acting like this? You must be going crazy if you’re listening to what that guy says!” Eunhyuk began raising his voice but not so much since he didn’t want to scare him.

 

 

“It’s true! This is all my fault and I need to stay away from him!” Ryeowook began raising his voice too but it felt a little hard for him to do so since he was still crying.

 

 

“But you still love him, don’t you?” I asked calmly. He paused for a moment before nodding his head slowly.

 

 

“I-I do. M-more than anything. But I have to stay away from him. I’m protecting him this way. It’s better this way…” I wish he could hear himself talking and hear how incredibly ridiculous he sounds right now. Just then, Eunhyuk stood up and began pacing. I could practically see the steam coming out of his ears.

 

 

“God, Ryeowook, do you realize how stupid you sound right now! What are you talking about ‘you’re protecting him this way’!? Don’t you realize this would hurt him more if you did this!? Why don’t you think a little before you go ahead and decide something!?” Eunhyuk yelled. I held Ryeowook closer to me since he seemed to be shaking even more and I knew he felt a little scared. I’ve never seen Eunhyuk mad before. He always seemed like the type of person to always be happy all the time. So seeing him like this even gets me a little terrified by him. Just then, Eunhyuk his heel towards the door and headed outside, slamming the door behind him. I guess he wanted to take a breather.

 

 

I looked down at Ryeowook who still hid his face. I rubbed his back even more to help him calm down. “Eunhyuk has never been this mad before…” I heard him mumble.

 

 

“Oh, he’s not entirely mad at you, I’m sure of it. He’s just frustrated at the moment. But you know that he’s right. You should’ve thought about this a little more before you decided. You could’ve at least talked to us about it first. Have you ever considered how this would make Yesung feel?”

 

 

“I know he’d be happier without me around…”

 

 

“Ryeowook, can’t you tell that he cares for you just as much as you care for him? Don’t you know that it would hurt him this way?”

 

 

“It won’t hurt him because he doesn’t even like me that way.”

 

 

“How do you know?” I asked him, and he became silent again. He really doesn’t know how much Yesung likes him too. I always thought these two would end up together the fastest, but he’s just making things even more complicated.

 

 

“I just have a feeling that he doesn’t…” he whispered. He picked his head up and tried to wipe away the tears off of his face, which wasn’t really necessary since more tears came out.

 

 

“Go ask him then. I was just at his place earlier and he was asking about you. He wanted to know if you were okay. I could tell that he was very worried about you since you haven’t spoken to him in a while.”

 

 

“N-no, I-I can’t. I can’t talk to him anymore.”

 

 

“Do you want me to talk to him for you?”

 

 

“No, I mean, I can’t ever talk to him again or else…” His voice began to get quieter once again.

 

 

“Or else what?” I asked.

 

 

“Something bad will happen. His father will do something to him and it will be my entire fault. I can’t talk to him or be seen with him again. I don’t want him to get hurt.” This time, my anger started to rise. I can’t believe that man! Didn’t he say the exact same thing to me about Kyuhyun? What does that man think he is able to do!? Aish, I really want to hurt him now! He just loves to ruin everybody’s life, doesn’t he!?

 

 

“C’mon Ryeowook! You gotta talk to him! Don’t let him get the best of you! Can’t you tell that he was lying to you? I could tell just how happy Yesung is whenever you’re around! Everyone can tell! You’re making his life better, not destroying it! Go call him right now! Or better yet, I’ll call him for you!” I stood and was about to grab my phone until Ryeowook quickly pulled me back down.

 

 

“No! You can’t! Please Hyung, don’t say anything to him. Please!” he begged. Ever since the day I first met Ryeowook, I could never say no to him. And right now, I’m really starting to hate that fact about me. I sighed as I nodded my head.

 

 

“Fine. I won’t say anything to him. I just hope you know what you’re doing.”

 

 

Ryeowook didn’t speak for the rest of the night. He practically cried himself to sleep and passed out on the couch. I found a small blanket in Eunhyuk’s room and put it over the sleeping Ryeowook before searching for Eunhyuk outside. To my surprise, he didn’t go anywhere. He just sat in front of his door silently. I stepped outside and closed the door behind me as I sat down next to him.

 

 

“He’s asleep now. He kind of passed out,” I told him. He just nodded his head in response and sighed. “Are you okay?”

 

 

“I’m fine. I’m just frustrated. I got a lot of things on my mind right now and I really don’t want Ryeowook to be one of my problems.”

 

 

“Are you mad at him?” I asked.

 

 

“Maybe a little. I can’t stay mad at him forever. He’s just one of those people you never want to get mad at, you know? But he always used to make things so much more complicated. I don’t know why I’m more frustrated about this than he is. If you love someone, don’t you want to be with them as much as you can no matter what happens?”

 

 

“Ryeowook says he can’t or else something bad will happen to Yesung. He doesn’t want to be at fault for anything that happens to him.” I noticed Eunhyuk clenching his fist and his breathing began getting harder.

 

 

“It won’t be his fault. It’ll be that guy’s fault! It’ll be his fault because he’s such a horrible father! Not to mention a horrible person! Why can’t he just let everyone live the way they want!?” I never knew how much Eunhyuk hated him as well. I wrapped an arm around his shoulder and began calming him down.

 

 

“I’ll make sure Yesung fixes this.”

 

 

Yesung’s POV

To: Sungmin

Is Ryeowook okay?

From: Yesung

 

 

I pressed send on my phone as I laid back on my bed sighing as I stared at the ceiling. It was quiet in our apartment (besides the noise coming from Kyuhyun’s room since he’s playing Starcraft and he just can’t seem to be quiet about it). Ever since Sungmin left, I couldn’t stop thinking about Ryeowook. I don’t know what’s making me so worried about him all of a sudden, but I just hope he’s okay. I wonder if he’s upset because it really is my fault. I thought of all the possible things I could’ve done that would’ve made him upset, but I couldn’t think of anything. Anything that came to my mind was all good things I did for him. In fact, everything that was on my mind for the whole day was about him and all the things we’ve done together since the day I met him. I smiled to myself at all the things we’ve done together. I really do treasure all of those moments. Ever since I met him, I started smiling more and I became so much happier.

 

 

There’s that feeling again. It always comes whenever I think about him.

 

 

Suddenly, my heart skipped a beat as my phone began to vibrate, meaning that Sungmin has texted back. I grabbed phone instantly and opened the message.

 

 

To: Yesung

He’s definitely not okay. It took a lot of crying for him to explain.

From: Sungmin

 

 

Crying? Ryeowook was crying? I’m more worried than ever now!

 

 

To: Sungmin

Is it my fault?

From: Yesung

 

 

What if it really is my fault? I have to find some way to apologize to him.

 

 

To: Yesung

Yes and no. He told me not to tell. But you better fix this or else things get worse.

From: Sungmin

 

 

Now I’m confused. It’s my fault but at the same time, it isn’t? Whatever it is, I must apologize to him somehow. I don’t want to lose someone like him. I don’t know how I would live without him. I know, I’ll visit him after work tomorrow and walk him home. I’ll be able to apologize to him by then.

 

 

I don’t know how I’ll be able to sleep tonight now that I keep thinking about him.

 

 

The Next Night

Ryeowook’s POV

“I hope you enjoy your coffee! Have good night!” I exclaimed as I watched the last two customers of the night walk out of the café happily. I looked towards the clock as it read 9:00pm. I was finally done for the day.

 

 

I went towards the back to change out of my uniform before grabbing my belongings, saying goodbye to Mr. Lee, and heading out of the café.

 

 

Yesung hasn’t been to the café in a while, but I guess that should be a good thing for me since I can’t see him. Have I really done the right thing by choosing not to see him anymore? Maybe Eunhyuk and Sungmin are right. Maybe I should’ve thought about it a little more. But whether I thought about it more or not, if Mr. Kim ever sees me with him again, something bad will happen to him. It would be all my fault and I just can’t let that happen.

 

 

If only I could see him and hear his voice again.

 

 

“Ryeowook!” I heard my name being called from behind me. I turned around to see who was behind me and I almost fell back in shock as I saw no other than Yesung walking up towards me. I began opening my mouth to say something, but no words came out. I was completely silent. Once he finally caught up to me, he smiled at me. Oh, how much I missed seeing that smile. It still gives me the same feeling it always has.

 

 

No, Ryeowook! You have to walk away from him! Just hurry and get home!

 

 

Once my legs finally decided to listen to my brain, I turned around on my heel and began walking away as fast I could. I just wanted to get home. I don’t want to be seen with him. I can’t be seen with him. No matter how much I want to be by his side.

 

 

Just when I thought that I had finally gotten away from him, I heard footsteps behind me and I knew he was following him.

 

 

“P-please don’t f-follow me!” I finally said as I continued to walk faster away from him.

 

 

“Wait, Ryeowook! You’re upset with me about something aren’t you? I’m not exactly sure what I’ve done but I’m very sorry for it. Please don’t be upset with me. Please talk to me! Please!” Yesung begged as he continued following me, picking up his pace as I started to run. I felt like crying. He’s apologizing for something he didn’t even do. It’s all my fault.

 

 

“Y-Yesung, please just stay away from me!” I yelled. It hurt to say that. I would’ve never thought that I would say such a thing to him. Once I finally got to my house, I was just about to open the door until Yesung grabbed my arm and pulled me into an embrace. I struggled to get out of it as my tears started running down my face.

 

 

“No. I can’t stay away from you. Ever since I met you, I have not once wished for you to stay away from me. I want to be around you all the time. Every time I with you, you always give me this unknown feeling in my chest. I don’t know what it is, but it makes me happy. Seeing you act like this hurts me, so I want to apologize for anything that I have done. Just please don’t tell me to stay away, because I can’t!” He began holding me tighter, not wanting to let me go. It only made me cry harder.

 

 

He’s delusional. He doesn’t know what he’s saying. I can’t make him think this way.

 

 

“Let me go!” I yelled as I pushed him away. I saw the tear stains on his shirt that I made. “I mean it when I say to stay away from me! I don’t want to be seen with you anymore! Don’t talk to me anymore, don’t come near me anymore! Just stay away from me! I HATE YOU!” I screamed before entering my house and shutting the door close. Once I locked the door, slid down on the door onto the ground and cried in my hands.

 

 

The one thing I never wanted to say to him was that I hated him. I could never hate him. How could I hate him? I love him. I’m nothing without him. Whether he’s better off without me or not, I had to make sure he never sees me again. I had to do it or else he’ll get hurt.

 

 

My heart hurts. It hurts so much. I want to run out of this house and jump into his arms. I want him to heal me. I want him to love me. But he doesn’t. He’s delusional right now and doesn’t know what he’s thinking. Was this really for the best? I guess it was. It’s only me that’s hurting tonight. My heart is badly damaged.

 

 

Who knew I would ever love someone so much that it would start to hurt?

 

 

Yesung’s POV

“Just stay away from me! I HATE YOU!” Ryeowook screamed at me before entering his house and slamming the door. I could only stare at the closed door, not even able to move a muscle.

 

 

Ryeowook hates me. He really, truly hates me. There’s a pain in my chest and it won’t stop hurting. It’s that feeling again, only this time, it hurts. It hurts really bad. How do I make it stop?

 

 

I felt something wet on my face and it took me a second to realize that it was my tears. I’m crying. When did I start crying? This is the first time I’ve ever cried since I was a kid. The pain in my chest is hurting me more and more. I feel the pain in my heart.

 

 

Was this feeling always inside my heart? Is this how I feel about Ryeowook?

 

 

Of course it is. It makes sense now. I know what this feeling is.

 

 

Ryeowook, I don’t hate. I could never hate you. And it hurts me to hear you say that you want me to stay away from you. I want to be with you. I want to be by your side all the time. I want to hold you forever. I need you.

 

 

I love you. 



 

A/N: Now, before all of you attack me with any deadly weapons you have, let me prepare myself first. *Puts on as many safety wear so I won't die or blow up from angry shippers* Okay, now you may attack me ;AAAAAA; Didn't I say your feelings will run wild after reading this? And that's why Yewook gets their own chapter again in the next one. Cause if I didn't, I'd probably really be dead. I promise you smiles in the next chapter, 'kay? :) So don't kill me please! And don't drown yourself in your own tears either ;AAAA; Short author's note is short~ Please comment and subscribe!!!! <3333333333333