Chapter 39: Back to Normal

I'm Not Cute!

 

Ryeowook’s POV

“Good evening, Yesung. I just wanted to call and check up on my two sons because that’s just the kind of father that I am. I’m also calling to remind you that demolition is scheduled for that beach house that you’re staying at tomorrow evening, so it would be best if you and your guests would kindly go back to Seoul tomorrow afternoon. I’ve already scheduled a flight back for you and I’ve left your tickets on your bed, so all you need to do is pack up and leave. I’ll be waiting for you to come back with Kyuhyun tomorrow. Have a good night.”

 

 

 

The cellphone made a beeping sound, signaling that the voicemail had ended. I stared at the plane tickets that were now in my hand as Yesung set the phone beside him, letting out a heavy sigh.

 

 

 

“Do we really have to leave?” I asked numbly, knowing what the answer was already going to be.

 

 

 

“We have to. This place is set for demolition. Plus, my father will know if we left or not. We have to get up bright and early to pack and leave tomorrow afternoon,” he answered with a hint of sadness in his voice. I sighed as well as he turned off the light and pulled me close to him as we lay down on the bed together. He pulled the blanket up to our chest and I snuggled into his chest.

 

 

 

“Nothing is going right for everyone,” I mumbled into his chest.

 

 

 

“I know what you mean. But I have this feeling that everything will start to get better soon.”

 

 

 

I love his optimism, but even I’m not so sure what’s going to happen in the future for all of us.

 

 

 

>>>

 

 

 

“What!? We have to leave!?” Eunhyuk shouted across the table.

 

 

 

Yesung and I woke the others early to eat breakfast together and tell them the bad news. Since all of the maids had been gone since yesterday, I cooked most of the food while Yesung helped a little. It wasn’t such a happy morning for everyone.

 

 

 

Besides the news that we had to tell them, Sungmin and Kyuhyun still kept their distance away from each other at the table, which I kind of expected. But Donghae also decided to keep his distance away from Eunhyuk a little as well. He’s not as cheerful as always. No doubt it was because of what happened between them and Siwon. I can tell Eunhyuk is worried about him.

 

 

Before we told them the news, every now and then, Eunhyuk would try to start a conversation with Donghae, and he would reply with only one word answers. I can tell that he’s practically dying to say something important to Donghae. Maybe he wants to give him an answer now, which would be great if Donghae would just listen to him. At least the two of them make an effort.

 

 

 

I’m still worried about Sungmin and Kyuhyun. They haven’t looked at each other at all since the incident two nights ago. I’m starting to get really worried about them, as if I wasn’t already worried about them before. I really wish they’d just talk to each other again.

 

 

 

“Yeah, our father knows that we’re staying here and he scheduled an unexpected demolition for this beach house later in the evening to prevent us from staying any longer and going back to Seoul. We have no choice but to go back home,” Yesung answer matter-of-factly.

 

 

“This isn’t fair. He can’t do this to us. How did he even find out?” Kyuhyun angrily asked and he lightly slammed his hands on the table.

 

 

“I have no idea, Kyuhyun. But you know I can’t convince him otherwise. He’s already made up his mind.”

 

 

“No! This is so stupid! He can’t just make us leave like this!”

 

 

“Kyuhyun! How many times do I have to say it!?" Yesung fumed, an impatient edge to his voice. "We. Have. No. Choice. This beach house will be gone soon and we can’t do anything about it except to just go home like what he wants.”

I’ve never seen Yesung and Kyuhyun fight before, and I really don’t plan to. Things might get even uglier around here if those two started fighting. I calmly held Yesung’s hand under the table and showed him an expression that read calm down. He looked at me and nodded a little before collecting himself again. “Once everyone is finished here, start packing up everything. The sooner we leave the better.”

 

 

Yesung took his finished plates and put them in the sink before heading upstairs to begin packing.  Donghae did the same as he weakly smiled at me, thanking me for the food, and headed toward his room. Eunhyuk was about to say something to him but Donghae was already in their shared room. Quickly, he set his plate in the sink and hastily headed over to him. I’m guessing he’s going to try and talk to him.

 

 

 

All that was left was a steaming Kyuhyun and an awkward Sungmin. They sat quietly across from each other as they began to finish up. Not wanting to look at them any longer, I took my plate over to the sink as well and began doing the dishes. I can practically just feel the tension starting to rise.

 

 

 

 

If only they started talking again.

 

 

 

Sungmin’s POV

The whole house was quiet, with the exception of Ryeowook washing the dishes in the kitchen. I looked up from my almost-finished plate and looked at Kyuhyun across from me, who was angrily finishing his breakfast. Nothing has gotten better between us. We haven’t talked to each other since that night, nor have we even looked at each other in the eyes since then. Ryeowook and Eunhyuk keep telling me that I should just talk to Kyuhyun about what happened, but I’m still not sure if I’m reading to talk to him just yet.

 

 

 

I don’t know what it is, but something is keeping me from wanting to be with him alone. I can’t talk to him, at least, not now. I know eventually I’m gonna have to. To be honest, I don’t think I can go forever without talking to Kyuhyun. He’s become a huge impact in my life. I don’t know what I’d do if I have never met him.

 

 

 

Are you starting to realize it?

 

 

 

What? Realize what?

 

 

 

That you’re in love with Kyuhyun, you idiot.

 

 

 

No! I’m not in love with him! And even if I was, we can’t even be together. We just can’t.

 

 

 

Why don’t you guys just talk to each other already? You guys are dying just to say at least one word to each other, but you’re just too scared to.

 

 

 

Is that it? Am I really afraid to speak to him? But what’s there to be afraid of?

 

 

 

You’re afraid of your feelings. Kyuhyun already knows how he feels about you. It’s your turn to slap some sense into yourself and realize how you feel about him.

 

 

 

I don’t know what my heart is trying to say, and I’m pretty sure I’m still going crazy for actually responding to my body parts, but my heart is right, I need to talk to Kyuhyun. About something, anything. I don’t even know. But’s time I do something about our tension with each other.

 

 

 

Just then, I heard Kyuhyun push his chair back as he grabbed his finished plate and brought it over to Ryeowook to wash it for him before making his way toward the rooftop.

 

 

 

I sighed before finishing the last bits of my breakfast and bringing my plate over to the sink to help Ryeowook wash the dishes.

 

 

 

“Oh, you don’t have to help, Hyung. I can do it--”

 

 

 

“It’s okay Ryeowook. Let me help,” I offered. He nodded his head and scooted over as he handed me a towel to dry off the dishes.

 

 

 

“Looks like we’ll be going back home earlier than expected,” Ryeowook blurted out with sadness hidden in his voice.

 

 

 

“I know, I’m bummed out about it too. Everyone was having so much fun here.”

 

 

 

“Well, that is, up until now…”

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“Well, Donghae is being a little distant with Eunhyuk and isn’t really talking to him because of what happened yesterday. And, well, and you and Kyuhyun…still aren’t talking to each other. Maybe it’d be better for us to go home now before anything else happens here.” Ryeowook’s voice started to get softer as he finished washing the last dish.

 

 

 

“Yeah, this isn’t what I expected for this vacation to go either,” I admitted. “Mr. Lee is plotting something right now, and I need to get to the bottom of it because I just have this feeling that it has something to do with me. So him knowing about all of us here might be my fault.”

 

 

 

“Hyung, it’s not your fau-”

 

 

 

“And things only got worse when Siwon and Hana got here yesterday. Eunhyuk and Donghae aren’t their cheerful selves like always.”

 

 

 

“Things will get better for them soon-”

 

 

 

“And I’m being stupid by not resolving my problem with Kyuhyun.”

 

 

 

“W-well-”

 

 

 

“I’m going to talk to him.” It was silent for a moment. I looked toward Ryeowook, who was just staring at me, obviously surprised by my statement.

 

 

 

“Really? You’re going to go talk to him?” I nodded my head.

 

 

 

“I’m not sure how long I could go without saying a word to him, so I might as well say something now. I don’t want to stop talking to him because of something like this. I felt like I was afraid to even face him, but then I realize, what’s there to be afraid of? I mean, this is Kyuhyun we’re talking about. I’m not afraid of him. I shouldn’t be afraid of him. There’s nothing wrong with him. He’s a very close friend of mine, and I can’t imagine my life without him in it. So I’m gonna go talk to him. I don’t know what about, but it’ll be something.”

 

 

 

Ryeowook smiled at me and patted of my back. “Good luck.”

 

 

 

I handed him the towel and let him finish up in the kitchen before making my way toward the rooftop. Because it was still early in the morning, 7:45am to be exact, the sun was still at sunrise.  It wasn’t too bright; it wasn’t too dark. It was a perfect setting outside.

 

 

 

The sun’s dim orange and red rays shone across the blue sea which smelled salty and fresh. Birds were chirping across the morning sky and a light, warm breeze blew through my hair and clothes. If only things didn’t get worse, we could’ve stayed just a little longer. I haven’t been able to appreciate the atmosphere here in Jeju.

 

 

 

Almost forgetting why I came to the rooftop in the first place, I looked around and spotted Kyuhyun hanging over the railing as he looked out toward the ocean. I took a deep breath before walking up behind him.

 

 

 

“K-Kyuhyun?” I stuttered as I called out his name. Quickly, he whipped his head around and was surprised to see me. It was the first time in two days that we’ve looked at each other in the eyes.

 

 

 

“Sungmin? What are you doing here?” he asked. This was the first exchange we've had in two days.

 

 

 

“U-um, I didn’t want to pack just yet, so I thought I’d come up here to get some air,” I lied as I stood on the other side of him, leaning against the railing and also looking out toward the ocean.

 

 

 

There was an awkward silence as the both of us stood next to each other, not saying a word. This wasn’t what I had in mind. I’m supposed to be talking to him, but I’m not even saying a word. Kyuhyun hasn’t said anything to me. He’s not even looking at me at all.

 

 

 

“So, looks like we’re going back home now, huh?” I began to say, hoping he would say something, but he didn’t. So I continued to talk. “It’s a shame. I was really hoping we could all stay just a little longer. Everyone was having so much fun.”

 

 

 

“Until my father just had to come and mess everything up,” Kyuhyun blurted. “He ruins everything. But he wasn’t the only one who ruined this vacation.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean-”

 

 

 

“Siwon and Hana came and ruined things for Eunhyuk and Donghae. Donghae doesn’t even want to talk to Eunhyuk right now, which is bad because Donghae always wants to be around him.”

 

 

 

“Yeah but they-”

 

 

 

“Yesung is probably mad as ever with our father right now. And possibly mad at me for yelling earlier.”

 

 

 

“But-”

 

 

 

“Even you’re mad at me because of what happened two days ago,” Kyuhyun whispered but was loud enough for me to hear him. I stood shocked at him. He thinks I’m mad at him?

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun, I’m not mad with you-”

 

 

 

“You don’t have to lie. I mean, if I were you, I’d probably be mad at me too.” It was silent again. I didn’t know how to reply, so I just stood there staring at him, hoping he would say something. Suddenly, he turned toward me and looked straight into my eyes. “Look, Sungmin, I’m sorry for what I did. I don’t know what came over me. I don’t know why I even did that in the first place; I didn’t mean to kiss you. I wouldn’t blame you if you hated me right now. And you don’t have to talk to me anymore if you don’t want to. I totally understand if you don’t say a word to me at all. It’s okay if you don’t want to be with me anymore. I just really wanted to say that I’m sorry for what I did and-”

 

 

 

I cut Kyuhyun off by wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head on his chest, pulling him into a hug. I knew he was surprised by my action since he didn’t know what to do at this point.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun, I don’t hate you. I could never truly hate you. And I’m not mad at you either. I’m still a little shocked from what happened the other night, which is why I ran away from you, but I’m not mad. It was my…first kiss, so I didn’t know how to actually react. I’m sorry that I’ve been keeping my distance from you. I just didn’t know how to bring this topic up with you. But it doesn’t mean that I want to stop talking with you. I honestly wouldn’t know what to do if we ever stopped talking. I like having you around.”

 

 

 

At this point, Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around my shoulders and rested his chin on my head, hugging me back.

 

 

 

“I…I don’t know what to say.”

 

 

 

“Say you’ll forgive me.”

 

 

 

“For what?”

 

 

 

“For being stupid with this whole thing. I should’ve listened to you that night and let you explain instead of running off. For letting you think that I didn’t want to talk with you anymore. For letting you think that I actually hated you. For letting you think that I don’t want to be around you anymore. Truth is that I always want you to be around me. I don’t know how you do it, but whenever you’re around, you make everything a thousand times better for me. Things are much better when you’re around.” I felt his grip on me get a little tighter as he pulled me closer.

 

 

 

“Thank you, Sungmin.” We stayed like this for a moment, just looking out into the ocean as the sun began to rise just a little more.

 

 

 

“Are you okay?” I suddenly asked.

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“Can you go back to being your usual self now?” I heard him chuckle as he pulled away from me, but still kept me close.

 

 

 

“Sure thing,” he answered with a smile. And for some reason, the smile on his face made my heart race. It was the different smile that always made me feel this way. It’s been such a long time since I last saw it.

 

 

 

How can it still have the same effect on me?

 

 

 

Looking at his lips that curved into such a smile made me think about that kiss we had. Indeed, it was my first kiss, but I honestly, I can’t quite remember it. Everything happened so fast that I couldn’t even have the chance to enjoy it or let it sink in. I want to remember how it felt like.

 

 

 

Just then, unexpectedly, I stood on my toes as I closed my eyes and placed my lips on top of Kyuhyun’s. I could tell he was shocked but decided to kiss me back. It was a sweet and innocent kiss that felt so good.

 

 

 

So this is what it feels like to be kissed.

 

 

 

No. This is how it feels to kiss Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

Due to lack of air, I pulled away slowly and stared into his eyes as he stared into mine.

 

 

 

 And then, that’s when it hit me.

 

 

 

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” I apologized as I quickly pulled away from his grip and faced the other way. I could feel my face getting warmer and my heartbeat getting louder and faster.

 

 

 

What heck did I just do!? Did I really just kiss Kyuhyun!? What heck was I thinking!? Just when we were putting that whole kiss thing behind us, I went ahead and did that! What is wrong with me!? Maybe Kyuhyun has the wrong idea! I just wanted to remember what my first kiss was like, but I shouldn’t have kissed him like that so unexpectedly! I shouldn’t be kissing him at all! Can I just kill myself right now? May I launch myself into the ocean and sink all the way down to the ocean floor? I must be the stupidest person alive right now.

 

 

 

“Sungmin, it’s okay,” Kyuhyun blurted. I turned towards him, who didn’t seem bothered by it at all. He may not have minded, but I can’t help but still worry about it.

 

 

 

I leaned against the railing and stared at the ocean again, hoping to distract myself from making my heart go any faster.

 

 

 

Suddenly, I felt a pair of hands on my cheeks and knew they were Kyuhyun’s. Oh no, did he notice how red my cheeks were getting?

 

 

 

“Ow ow ow!” I screamed as he began to pinch my cheeks. Kyuhyun just laughed at me, probably because of the face I was making. “Let go of my cheeks!”

 

 

 

“But your cheeks are just so chubby. It’s cute!”

 

 

 

“Let go!” I protested again, and he finally let go. I rubbed my cheeks to make the pain go away and pouted at him. “That hurt!”

 

 

 

“You’re so cute,” he chuckled once more before making his way inside, most likely to go pack his things.

 

 

 

I stood there dumbfounded. What was that for?

 

 

 

Oh - probably to distract the awkwardness between us. Suddenly, I smiled. Right there and then, I knew Kyuhyun and I had gone back to our regular selves. Everything was fixed.

 

 

 

After I rubbed my cheeks a couple more times, I followed closely behind him and lightly punched his back.

 

 

 

“Yeah, yeah.” 

 


 

A/N: I'm so sorry for not updating for two months! After my last update, third quarter has started, and third quarter is alway the hardest part of the school year for me. I was so busy that I couldn't even make time to start writing the chapter >.< But it's finally spring break! Which means I had plently of time to write this chapter, even though its a little short than what I normally post :P Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the next chapter up as well~ Fourth quearter is starting next week, which means the school year is almost over and summer is almost here! Summer is when I'll be able to start updatin more frequently ^^ Also, hopefully by summer, I'll also have a new fic I'll be starting soon. This fic is a little past halfway, so I plan to finish it by the middle of summer. And by then, I'll be start a new fic ^^ I can't tell you what its about yet, since I'm not done with this yet~ Because I've been gone for two months, I hope I made it up to you with another Kyumin kiss ;w; HOLY SHISUS. OVER 600 SUBSCRIBERS!? COME HERE MY BUNNIES. LEMME LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLL <3 You guys make me so happy ;AAAA; Please comment, subscribe, and vote!!! <333333333333333333