The Kim of Taehyung

Turning Tables

Jimin’s POV:

Should I go jogging or not? I found myself asking this question to myself when I woke up to a rather hot feeling. It has become significantly hotter and more humid since summer started. I can already feel that my legs have become much better now, I think even better than they used to be before the accident happened. After thinking it out thoroughly and considering the temperature of the environment, I decided not to jog, even just for today.

After washing my face with cold water, I went down from the room to the kitchen, and headed to the refrigerator. The cold coming from the machine was very comforting, especially now that even the mornings have become considerably hotter. I reached for the pitcher with water and filled my glass to the brim. If I’m not going to jog this morning, what should I do then? I asked myself as I drank the glass of water. After setting my glass down on the counter, I headed back to the room to find Jungkook already awake.

“Good morning, hyung!” Jungkook greeted me with a smile on his face.

“Good morning, Jungkook!” I greeted him back, returning the smile on his face with a smile as well.

Jungkook paused for a while before speaking again. “Hyung, I’m going with you.” Jungkook said as he reached down to tie his shoes. Go with me? Where?

“Going with me to where?” I asked him as I gave him a confused look. Jungkook returned that look with an even more confused look.

“Hyung, quit fooling around with me. You go jogging every morning, right? That’s what I am talking about.” Jungkook explained. Oh right, that.

“Oh, yeah, I forgot that. Unfortunately, I won’t be jogging today. I found the weather too hot to do so. And besides, I only jogged to get my legs back to their original strength. Now that they’re back on track, I think I could tone down on the jogging.” I explained to Jungkook. Jungkook looked sad for a while, but he looked up again and talked.

“But hyung, don’t you wanna look at the sunrise this morning?” Jungkook asked. Then suddenly, I remembered. I actually regularly looked at the sunrise every morning. I forgot that in order for me to do that, I should go out from the house and go to the cliff, which I do by jogging every morning.

“Oh yeah, I actually forgot that I was watching the sunrise every morning! Thanks for reminding me.” I said to Jungkook, who was looking down at his already-tied shoes. What is he looking at?

After getting ready by wearing my jogging gear, Jungkook and I headed to the living room to find Tae already sitting there in his jogging attire and waiting for me to come down.

When he heard our footsteps, Tae looked up. “Good morning, hyung and Jungkook.” Tae said to us in a low, weak voice. What’s wrong with him again?

“Good morning, hyung!” Jungkook greeted him energetically. Tae nodded at him and smiled. At least he is smiling.

“Good morning, Tae. So, you ready?” I asked Tae. He looked at me and nodded before he stood up and headed to the front door of the house.

“Since when am I not ready to, jog, hyung?” Tae chuckled. I know he was trying to look like he’s fine, but it was very clear that he isn’t.

Jungkook and I looked at each other and laughed. Tae only looked at us, confused by why would Jungkook and I are laughing. After being able to stop, I explained to Tae what was about to happen.

“Actually, Tae, were not going out to jog.” I said to him. Tae’s eyes widened as if I said something wrong.

“You and Jungkook are going out?” Tae asked. Oh god, this guy really.

“That’s not what I mean by saying going out!” I shouted to Tae. I looked at Jungkook, who was looking at Tae with disbelief in his eyes. “What I mean is, Jungkook and I aren’t going to jog today. What I mean is, we are just going to the cliff to watch the sunrise. We will go straight to that spot.” I explained to Tae. Tae just nodded and stood up.

“Ok. I’ll go with you guys.” Tae said as we headed to the front door of our house to get to the streets.

Along the way to the cliff, Jungkook and I talked about things. We talked about dance and songs; we talked about other stuffs like food and cars. Then, came across the topic of who our role models were.

“So, Jungkook, who’s your role model?” I asked him. He didn’t answer immediately.

“What role model do you mean, hyung? The role model in life, or the role model in being an artist?” Jungkook asked. I don’t really intend on tapping into another person’s personal life, so I chose...

“The latter. Who’s your idol in being an artist?” I asked him. Jungkook looked up and started singing “Good Boy”.

“It’s G-Dragon-ssi. I really look up to him as an artist.” Jungkook said. Oh, ok, I think I never had the chance to ask that to him, not even before the accident.

“How ‘bout you, hyung? Who’s your idol?” Jungkook asked. With that, I sang the part of Taeyang in the same song. Jungkook’s eyes widened when he heard me sing the song.

“That’s – ” Jungkook said.

“Yep. I’m actually a Taeyang fanboy. I really want to be like him as a performer someday.” I said to him. I was surprised to see that he was looking away from me. What’s wrong with Jungkook?

“R-really, hyung? You’re a Taeyang fanboy?” Jungkook asked.

“Yep, why? Is there something weird about that?” I asked Jungkook. Jungkook just looked at me and didn’t answer my question. Instead, for the first time, Tae joined the conversation.

“I know what you’re thinking, Jungkook.” Tae said, making Jungkook turned his face away from us more. “G-Dragon X Taeyang, right?” Tae continued.

“Hyung! Stop that!” Jungkook screamed. Tae smirked, but he didn’t stop there.

“But that doesn’t mean Jungkook X Jimin, too. Jungkook… tsk, tsk, tsk.” Tae continued.

“YAH!!! HYUNG! STOP THAT!!!” Jungkook said as he charged towards Tae and pushed him. At first, I thought Tae is not going to be able to withstand the push that Jungkook delivered. Fortunately, he was able to stop himself from falling backwards.

I noticed that Jungkook’s face has turned into a strawberry. IT WAS VERY RED. AND WHEN I SAID VERY RED, I REALLY MEAN VERY RED. I actually felt the urge to touch his face to check how hot it is right now, but I dared not to, because I might lose my hand by frying it. I don’t want to use the word, but I really think he was blushing at what his hyung said. I just shrugged the feeling away, and focused on Tae. Tae is surely not his self today. Yes, he might be joking around, but that doesn’t cover the bothered face he was carrying. Usually, when the three of us are together, it would be me and him that are talking, while Jungkook is just listening at our conversation. It kind of felt weird to not talk to him at times like this.

After a few more minutes of walking, the three of us reached the cliff where we usually watched the sunrise. We took our seats on the rocks that I set up long ago before the accident. We just sat there and waited for the sunrise. Jungkook and I are talking while waiting for it, but Tae just sat there quietly, just staring at the horizon. He wasn’t even looking our way when Jungkook and I become quite noisy. He just sat there, watching, as if in deep thought. Not being able to stand it, I decided to talk to him about it when the sunrise appeared.

“Tae, are you alright?” I asked him. He didn’t answer – he just kept his gaze straight on the horizon. “Yah! Tae, are you alright?” I repeated, this time louder. He was startled by my question, and looked at me.

“Y-yes. Yes, hyung, I’m alright. Something is bothering me, but it’s nothing serious, really.” Tae answered. If it’s bothering someone like you, then it’s something serious.

Instead of insisting to know it, I just let it pass for now. Maybe it’s something that he can sort out on his own. “Ok then, just tell me if you need someone to talk to. I can be all ears if needed.” I said to him. Tae smiles weakly and nods before facing the sunrise again.

After a few more minutes, the three of us headed back to the house. Just like when we were going to the cliff, the return trip felt like Tae wasn’t even with us. Only Jungkook and I talked a lot. It makes me think like Tae and Jungkook’s spirits got mixed up. I didn’t bother to interfere though, so I just let Tae be like that for a while.

When we got home, breakfast was already ready, so we took our seats and started eating. As usual, Jungkook filled my bowl with food first, even before he filled his. Every meal, he acted someone like my personal assistant or nanny, because he did all the work for me. All I had to do was eat. But something really weird caught my attention.

When Tae saw the food, his eyes glistened with happiness. When I checked what it was, it was actually his favorite food for breakfast. Then Jin approached him and patted his head.

“Yes, Tae. I cooked that especially for you.” Jin said to him. After that, Tae’s cheeks became slightly pink. Is Tae… blushing?

Then the rest of the day went like usual, except for the fact that Tae wasn’t being himself. He didn’t help Jin cook anything today. He didn’t even help wash the utensils, like he usually did. I just couldn’t help but think that whatever is happening to Tae right now, Jin has something to do with it. Are they still mad at each other? Are they still fighting?

When lunch came, it was also something like what happened with the breakfast. We were all already seated around the table except for Jin and Jungkook, who were the ones who cooked the food. After a few moments, they went to the table, carrying the pots of food that they cooked for lunch. When Jungkook was near me, I called his attention.

“Jungkook, what’s for lunch?” I asked him.

“Ah. It’s chicken meat soup and fried bacon. There’s also stir-fried vegetables.” Jungkook answered. All of those dishes… they were Tae’s favorite. Chicken meat soup, well, it was everyone’s favorite. Fried bacon, Tae never ran out of space his stomach for fried bacon. And the stir-fried vegetables… that’s one of the very few vegetable dishes that Tae liked. Was it just all pure coincidence, or did Jin-hyung really plan to cook Tae’s favorites?

And then it happened again. Jin approached Tae before he went to his seat and asked something, to which Tae nodded. Apparently, they are now in good terms again. But I noticed that after Jin left Tae, Tae was trying hard to hold in a smile, in which he failed miserably because I noticed it. Also, his face was becoming a shade of pink. What? Tae is blushing again? Wait a minute… don’t tell me he –

“Here, hyung.” Jungkook said as he set my bowl down before me. I thanked him and proceeded to eating the lunch.

Afternoon passed the same way as the morning. I am quite sure now that Tae is actually trying to avoid Jin, who was trying to get closer to him. I don’t know what kind of game they are playing, but I really want to know what it was. And if it was what I was thinking, I would be glad to help Tae.

During the preparation for dinner, I was the one that helped Jin prepare the food.

“Jimin, can you please get the meat from the freezer?” Jin asked me. I nodded and went to the freezer to get the meat, not expecting to see what was in there.

“Hyung, uhm… which meat?” I asked him. I went there without asking because I thought there would only be one pack of meat in there. But I was wrong. For the first time in forever, we have a stock of meat! The freezer used to hold only one pack of chicken or two, and some packs of vegetables. But now, it contained about five packs of WHOLE chicken, packs of bacon, packs of pre-cut beef and pork, some packs of samgyeopsal, and packs of salmon – all of which are Tae’s favorite. Well, his favorite was generally meat.

“The samgyeopsal. Get three packs.” Jin answered. Really, three packs?!

After getting three packs of the meat he requested, he returned to him to help him cook. He was also cooking vegetable balls, another vegetable dish that Tae could eat. Tae really like them when they are dipped in –

“Jimin, do you know how to make sweet and sour sauce?” Jin asked. Yeah, Tae really likes them when dipped in sweet and sour sauce.

 After cooking (yes, I was the one who made the sweet and sour sauce), we proceeded to serve the food that we just finished cooking. Everything was a replay of the two past meals. Jungkook got my bowl and was off to filling it with all the food. Jin went to Tae to tell him something. I scooted over to hear what Jin was saying to Tae.

“Hope you like the food. Eat a lot, ok?” Jin said to Tae as he patted Tae’s head and headed to his seat. Tae just sat there, again, staring at the food, while trying to hide a smile and the dust of pink that made its way to his cheeks.

After witnessing everything, I finally made a decision – I will not sleep tonight until I know what’s going on.

After the dinner, I pulled Tae to the porch to talk to him.

“Tae, are you sure you’re alright?” I asked him. Again, just like in the morning, he didn’t answer me. He was just standing there, staring at nothing. After clearing my throat, I repeated my question. “TAE! ARE YOU ALRIGHT?” I asked him, this time with a voice  loud enough to snap him back to reality.

“Oh, hyung. What?” Tae asked me. Ughhhh…

“Tae, what’s happening to you? You’re definitely not alright, based from what I’ve been seeing since this morning. Tae, you are not in your own self.” I said to him.

“W-what do you mean, h-hyung?” Tae stuttered.

“You see, I observed that you’ve been zoning out quite often today. And also, what’s with the avoiding Jin-hyung? Why are you trying to avoid him? It’s been a few days now since you quarreled with him, and don’t tell me you’re still mad at him.” I explained to him my observations, but I didn’t include him blushing when Jin was talking to him during meals.

“W-what are you saying, hyung?” Tae asked again. Playing dumb huh?

“Ok, if you don’t want to tell me, maybe I should go ask Jin-hyung instead.” I said to him as I started walking back to the house. It wasn’t really my plan, I was just threatening Tae.

“No! Don’t, hyung!” Tae blurted out as he pulled me by the wrist.

“Ok then, tell me what’s happening.” I said to him. Tae gave me the look of defeat and sighed before he started.

“Ok. Remember the day when Jin-hyung cut his finger when he was trying to clean the cup that I used to drink coffee? Prior to that event, I slept in our room. Then, I had a dream… no actually, not a dream. It’s a nightmare.” Tae narrated.

“Ok, keep going.” I said to him. I was actually getting excited by the story, but I was acting like I’m bored.

“In that dream, I woke up inside the room to find out that the house is on fire. You were all already out in the streets, safe from harm. The fire was already about to reach me, when suddenly, Jin-hyung came running back inside and tried to save me.” Tae continued his story.

“Really? What happened?” I asked him excitedly. Tae looked at me with disbelief, and then continued with his story.

“I asked him while he was running to get to me why he went back inside the burning house just to save me.” Tae continued but in excitement, I cut him.

“And what did he say? What is the reason?” I asked  him. I know I sound like a child right now, but I didn’t really care.

“He didn’t have the opportunity to finish his answer. All he had the time to say was he was coming back for me because he l – it ended there, with the sound ‘L’. Then, the ceiling collapsed and buried him under burning debris. I cried a lot in my nightmare. I was shaking all over that when I woke up, I was also crying in my sleep. ” Tae said as he finished his story. I really wanted to say “Uhhh… what a beautiful yet sad story”, but I didn’t.

“So, what does that has something to do with your behavior today?” I asked him.

“It is only when I had that dream when I realized how important Jin-hyung was to me.” Tae said.

“And?” I asked him. I already knew the answer, but I want to hear it from him.

“And… and I realized that I don’t want to lose Jin-hyung. I realized that I love him. I’ve fallen for him. It’s just too bad I had to know what it feels like to lose him to realize my feelings for him.” Tae admitted. I smiled, and went closer to him.

“Why are humans always like that? They only realize how important a person is when he is about to lose that person.” I said to him. Tae looked at me with a shocked expression. I was about to ask him what it was when I felt my head hurt. And so far, this is by far the most painful one.

Of course. We’ll do anything to make the fans happy, right?

A voice suddenly popped into my head, and it is making the headache hurt more.

Tae helped me stabilize as I rode the pain down. “Hyung, are you alright?” Tae asked.

“Yeah… I’m fine. Just one of my usual headaches.” I said to Tae I regained my posture. “Don’t worry, Tae. I’m going to help you with your feelings for Jin-hyung.” I said to him. Tae looked at me, smiled, and gave me a hug.

“I knew you would, hyung. It’s about time you pay me back –” Tae said but he stopped.

“For what?” I asked him.

“Oh, nothing. It’s nothing. Just, pay me back for all the times that I’ve been there for you.” Tae said as he gave me another smile. With that, I told him to go now because Jin must be waiting for him already in their room. As I expected, he blushed hard, and he even hit me on the shoulder. After that, he left me there to sleep.

When he was out of sight, I slowly walked to my and Jungkook’s shared room. I was holding on the wall for support, because the effects of the headache were still there. When I reached the room, I saw Jungkook already sleeping on his side of the bed. It was the side nearer to the door. I tried my best to go to my side of the bed, but when I looked right into Jungkook’s face, my head started to hurt again. The voice that I heard earlier spoke again.

Of course. We’ll do anything to make the fans happy, right?

It repeated. My vision was starting to get blurry, and then, I felt my legs go limp as I approached Jungkook. My eyes shut close as I felt my back hit the cold, tiled floor.