Bonds

Turning Tables

Taehyung’s POV:

It’s been over a month since Jimin woke up from his death sleep after the car accident. There are some things that changed since then, especially on how close the members are to each other. I noticed that since that day, when we almost lost Jimin, the members started to become closer with each other. Before, we only talked with each other when we have free time, like during day-offs, or during breaks. Now, we allot more time to free time so that we can bond with each other. During meals, we barely talked. Most of the members are too focused on their food, only I and Jimin talk to make the table a little more alive. Now, we are taking much more time on the table, because more time is spent on chatting with each other. At least, the accident made something good happen.

I also noticed the change with the relationship of Jimin and Jungkook. Somehow it became… better. Before, it was only Jimin who was trying to make any form of communication with Jungkook. He would start a conversation with anything under the sun as the topic. He would pretend as if he accidentally bumped into Jungkook. He would sometimes even tackle Jungkook when Jungkook is in the good mood. All of those efforts, Jungkook just ignored. But that was all back then. Now, both of them are doing things that make them grow closer to each other. Jungkook is now volunteering to go with Jimin during his early-morning jogging sessions. Jimin is now just inviting Jungkook to come with him, but he really doesn’t insist if Jungkook doesn’t want to. That is, if Jungkook ever will not. Jungkook has been doing his best to give more time to Jimin. If before, it was only Jimin who does everything, now, it’s the other way around.

Before the accident, almost all the times that I and Jimin has are devoted either to figuring out a plan on how to make Jungkook notice him, or to uplifting Jimin’s spirit after being rejected by Jungkook. We lost the fun part of our friendship. During training days, we often went to the mall after the training, and try the restaurants that can be found there. One restaurant a day. I’m glad it’s all coming back to that setting.

Now, we jog in the morning, talking about random things under the sun. We would spent rehearsal days teaching each other (mostly he teaches me). When the lunch break comes, we are the ones to become very excited about the food. Along the way to and from the studio, we would keep on talking about things, mostly silly, random things. When Jin prepares the group’s food, the two of us often help him, along with Jungkook. We watch movies together. He joins me when I watch Shingeki No Kyojin, my favorite anime. We may not be going to malls anymore, but the fact that we are on our way back to the fun friendship just makes me feel happy.

Lastly, something new began. I really don’t know if it was really new, or it was something that was happening a long time ago but going unnoticed. One thing is for sure… it’s very evident now. I would often see them talking about something in the porch. They would seem like talking about something very serious, because they would look like as if crying. They wouldn’t even let other members know what they are talking about. They would check for nearby members before proceeding. If they see anyone, they would pause for a while. But if they see either me or Jimin, they smile at us, but I know that smile isn’t a friendly one. It actually scares me.

Jungkook and Jin were close before, but not THAT close. Yes, they would talk, yes they would treat each other like brothers, but NO, they don’t do heart to heart talks. They never did. But now, most of the evenings after dinner they spent talking with each other, narrating something that seems serious. When I look at them from the living room, they remind me of something, but I wasn’t really sure about what it was. The emotion, the scenario, the time, almost everything just seemed… familiar.

“Good morning, hyung!” I said to Jin, who was, as usual, the first member up. Once he wakes up, he would immediately head to the kitchen to cook food for us. But this morning isn’t really a usual one.

“Good morning Tae!” Jin replied. He gave me a big smile, but there’s no hiding the fact that he looks like a zombie. He looks like he hasn’t gotten any sleep for days.

“Hey, hyung. Why are you up a little bit late? Usually you would start cooking by 5:30, but it’s already 6:30, and you’re just getting started.” I asked him.

He yawned before speaking. “Oh. I’m sorry. Namjoon told me that today’s rehearsals would start in the afternoon, so I decided to get a longer sleep. I haven’t been getting enough sleep lately…” He explained.

“No, it’s alright, I’m just curious. Well, anyone who would see you in that state could easily conclude that you haven’t been sleeping for days.” I said to him, while trying to hold back a laugh.

“Really? Do I look that bad?” He asked while trying to look at his self in the mirror hanging above the kitchen sink.

“Just kidding hyung! Just some eye bags hanging, nothing horrible.” I said to him. He relaxed, took a deep breath, and exhaled before facing me with a smile.

We exchanged smiles for some moments before I realized we’ve been standing there for some time now. “Hyung, why won’t we get started?” I asked him. As if being snapped back to reality after drifting to dreamland, he shook his head violently and slapped himself before nodding to my suggestion.

 

Just before we started cooking, we heard some heavy footsteps from the stairs. Judging from how rapid the steps are, it’s clear that there is more than one person.

“Good morning, Tae-hyung, Jin-hyung!” Jungkook greeted us as he climbed down the stairs. Behind him was Jimin, who was looking energetic, as always, even though I know he just woke up.

“Good morning, Jungkook!” Jin greeted him. After a few seconds, he looked behind Jungkook and smiled. “And to you, too, Jimin.”

“Good morning hyung!” Jimin enthusiastically responded. “Good morning, Tae!” He added.

“Good morning, hyung. And to you too, Jungkook!” I said. I can’t help but notice Jungkook’s eyes. They weren’t looking at me. They were looking behind me. When I turned around, I saw Jin, who was looking more zombiefied now. A frown has begun to creep up his face, but when he realized I was looking at him, he immediately changed his expression to a happy one. I hesitantly returned his smile, and then I turned again to face Jungkook and Jimin. Jungkook was still looking at Jin, while Jimin looked innocent and clueless on the events. I was glad he spoke, because the atmosphere in the kitchen was already starting to become gloomy and awkward.

“So, what are we going to cook for breakfast?” Jimin asked. All three of us snapped back to reality.

“Oh, yeah. We’re going to have pancakes with bacon bits, steamed vegetables, and hotdogs for breakfast.” Jin responded. My mood immediately shifted from suspicious to happy when I heard today’s breakfast. After Jin spoke, all four of us started to cook the breakfast.

We had fun during that one-hour cooking session. We divided ourselves to two groups. We were having a little difficulty with choosing who goes with whom in one group. In the end, it was I who decided on the pairings. I grouped myself with Jin, because I knew I wouldn’t be doing that much work if I would be with him. Also, this is one of my ways of helping Jungkook with his love for Jimin. Jungkook seemed to get what I was trying to do, so he smiled at me before turning to do their part. Surprisingly, Jin was also smiling brightly, as if I also did him some favor. But I just shook the thought away.

Jimin and Jungkook were tasked with cooking the pancakes first. They started off really great – they are working cleanly, and their workspace is very tidy. But by the time they finished preparing the batter, the part of the table where they are working has become a mess. Pancake mix everywhere. By everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE, even on their faces. They were having so much fun, as they are laughing at their own faces. I can tell that Jungkook is really very happy during those times. Meanwhile, Jin and I are having fun as well. We started cooking the steamed vegetables first. He gave me the task of peeling the vegetables that needs peeling, while he cleaned the leafy ones by removing older leaves and washing edible ones. I wasn’t exactly good at peeling, but I thought I did just well enough that day. It turned out that Jin wasn’t thinking of the same thing. After I finished peeling, I gave them to him, but he immediately went back to the sink and repeated the process. The whole time, he was just laughing at how bad my peeling skills are. I just stood there, pouting at his words. After he finished peeling, he proceeded to cutting the vegetables to desirable sizes and shapes and seasoning them before placing them into the steamer. I was right when I said I wouldn’t do that much work.

Meanwhile, Jimin and Jungkook are beginning to fry the pancakes. Jungkook was the one putting the batter on the pan, while Jimin turned and tossed the pancakes. Jimin was showing off his pancake-cooking skills, while Jungkook just stared at him in amazement. But of course, it didn’t end there. It CANNOT end there. After Jungkook saw Jimin’s skills, Jungkook decided to challenge his beloved hyung for a showdown. The two of them took turns in doing tricks while cooking the pancakes. In the end, Jungkook argued he did better tricks, while Jimin said that the pancakes he cooked looked way better than Jungkook’s. When I took a look at their products, Jimin was right – his were perfectly flat and round, while Jungkook’s were distorted, while some even had holes in the middle, making then look like rings. Jin and I just couldn’t help but laugh at both their childishness and sweetness.

We proceeded to cooking the bacon and hotdogs. Jimin and Jungkook peeled the bag of hotdogs one by one, while Jin and I sliced the bacon to smaller pieces. Afterwards, we fried the foods in separate pans. We gave each other high-fives once we finished. Then came in the other three members who just woke up. Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hoseok all came down at the same time from their rooms, with the former two still looking like they were forced to wake up by Hoseok, who was in contrast in full energy.

“GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!” Hoseok shouted energetically, indicating he had a really good night sleep. He screamed so loud that I became worried that we might wake up the people in the nearby building.

Instead of answering him with a ‘good morning’, Jin reprimanded the noisy Hoseok. “Hey, keep it down, Hoseok, you might wake up even the dead.” Jin said to him, making Hoseok pout. Jin noticed it, so he added something else. “Anyway, good morning to you, too. Well, to the three of you.” Hoseok smiled.

“Good morning, hyung. So, is there anything we can do to help?” Namjoon asked. I looked at Jin, Jungkook, and Jimin. As I expected, they were all smiling to each other. I think I already knew what they were thinking of.

“No, nothing really. The youngsters already helped me finish cooking.” Jin said to them as he drew all four of us into his arms. “They were very helpful, even if they’re just young.” Jin added.

“You should’ve just called us if you needed help!” Yoongi protested. We can’t hold it back anymore that I, Jungkook, and Jimin all laughed at the same time.

“Hey, I’m not saying anything! Why are being too defensive?” Jin asked, drawing a sneer from Yoongi, while Namjoon and Hoseok joined us in the laughing festival.

“Yeah, hyung, whatever. Can we eat now? My stomach is already eating itself.” Yoongi said to stop the fight. He knew it was nonsense to argue with Jin in these topics. With that said, we all went to the dining table to start eating.

Like what I said earlier, the dining table has become noisier since Jimin’s accident. Even Yoongi who rarely talked was becoming more talkative. The members have become more active now. Then, there comes Jungkook’s usual routine. He grabbed Jimin’s plate this time, because Jin told us to use plates because of the pancakes’ weird shape and size. They are just too big to fit into bowls. He placed two pancakes, both of which are Jimin’s work, probably because he’s ashamed of the ones he made. Then, he put lots of toasted bacon on the top, and lastly, he poured chocolate syrup on top. All the time he did that, Jimin was just staring at his plate, watching as it was being filled with food. When it returned to him, it was already filled with hotdogs, pancakes, and vegetables.

Jimin looked at Jungkook, who was now busy filling his own plate when Jungkook finished, Jimin grabbed one of Jungkook’s pancakes and exchanged it with one of his. Jungkook stared at him in shock.

“You didn’t have to give me the best pancakes.” Jimin said to him. I notice Jungkook was holding back a smile. His face is quickly turning pink.

“But hyung, you should be eating the best ones, because you were the one who made them.” Jungkook said, still not looking at Jimin. He didn’t see Jimin give him a smile.

“It’s alright. After all, they are all pancakes. The shape and size doesn’t matter.” Jimin said to Jungkook, as Jungkook began to recover and look at Jimin. “And besides, I find your work cute. I want to try these artistic pancakes of yours.” Jimin added. Jungkook immediately turned red. He had to make an excuse of going to the restroom just to calm himself down. On the other hand, Jimin looked amused by the maknae’s actions.

The breakfast continued like that – eating, drinking, talking, laughing and hitting. More time was spent in the talking part than the eating part. Jungkook eventually returned to the table, his face dripping wet with water. When breakfast ended, Jin proceeded to washing the plates with Jimin, while I went to the living room to watch the movie being played. One movie was already done when Jungkook came to the living room as well and sat beside me on the sofa.

“Hey, Jungkook. How are you feeling?” I asked him. I was expecting a specific answer from him.

“Uhmm… what do you mean, hyung?” Jungkook asked back.

“What do you mean? Did you not get my question? I was just asking you how you are feeling.” I replied. He looked away from me, staring at the floor like it was a work of art.

It took a while before he finally answered. “Well, pretty good, hyung.” He answered.

“Why?” I asked again.

“Because I got to spend some time with Jimin-hyung a few moments ago.” Jungkook answered, smiling.

“You were feeling so good that you had to leave the table to wash with the cold water in the restroom sink?” I asked him again. This time, he didn’t hesitate.

“That was because I knew my face was beginning to turn red that time. Jimin said he wanted to eat the pancakes I cooked, even though they don’t look like pancakes, even to me.” Jungkook explained. Bingo.

“Oh, I see. Well, you took quite some time in the restroom. Are you sure all you did was wash your face?” I asked him again as I gave him the naughtiest smile of the day.

J|ungkook’s face turned slightly pink “Hyung! What are you talking about?!” Jungkook screamed. He was about to hit me when Jimin entered the living room with Jin.

“What’s happening here?” Jimin asked. When Jungkook heard his voice, he immediately backed away from me.

“Hyung! Jungkook is harassing me just because - ” I said to Jimin but Jungkook immediately covered my mouth with his hand.

“NO. N-nothing hyung. Tae-hyung and I are just playing.” Jungkook said. “Uhmm… I need to to go to our room now. I think I need to prepare to leave.” Jungkook said as he hurriedly stood up and began to walk to his and Jimin’s shared room. Just as stepped on the stairs, Jimin called him.

“Leaving? But practice will be in the afternoon, right? It’s just 10:30 am!” Jimin asked. Jungkook turned around and froze. He looked at me, then at Jin. He stopped there. He looked like he was silently asking for Jin’s help.

“Yes, practice will start in the afternoon. But we’ll leave before lunch.” Jin said, making Jungkook’s face soften up a bit after being petrified.

“But why hyung?” I asked him. Jin swallowed hard before answering again. I can easily say that he’s just protecting Jungkook.

“Uhm… because I’m not going to cook our lunch. We’re going to eat lunch outside.” Jin answered.

“Really?” Jimin asked. It seems that he wasn’t convinced as well.

“Yes. Right, Namjoon?” Jin said to Namjoon, who was sitting on the sofa nearby. He was shocked by the sudden reference.

“What? What do you - ” Namjoon asked when Jin suddenly cut him.

“Right, Namjoon?! Where going to eat lunch in a restaurant, right?” Jin asked with a threatening glare at Namjoon. Namjoon didn’t have enough courage to speak, so he just nodded.

“See? Ok, now, the rest of you, if you want, you may get ready now, just like what Jungkook’s going to do.” Jin concluded as he turned to face Jungkook. Jungkook mouthed a ‘thank you’ when he saw Jimin wasn’t looking at him. He didn’t notice me notice him though.

Jin got ready as well. When he finished getting showering, I took my turn in using our shower. When I got out of our room, I saw everyone ready and waiting for me. So we went out of the house to eat lunch in the restaurant, then, we proceeded to the dance studio, where our first practice since the accident was held. We were all excited. When we got inside, nothing has changed from our dance studio. It was exactly the same like how we left it. Just like how we left it with Jungkook and Jimin.

“Oh! It feels so good to be back here!” Hoseok said as he rushed to the mirrored wall and stared at it before moving forward to give the inanimate wall a hug. Yoongi, on the other hand, immediately headed straight to the restroom. Namjoon laid on the floor that he said he missed s much, while Jimin immediately went straight to the mirrored wall to dance. Jungkook, on the other hand, looked only looked down at the floor. Maybe he’s still depressed about that event, when he yelled at and insulted Jimin.

When the choreographer came in, he greeted us, and then told us to warm up. As usual, it was still Jimin who was very flexible. If you would see him, you wouldn’t even be able to guess that he just recovered from a serious car accident. But the long break became evident when we started rehearsing the dance. Almost all of us, especially Jimin, were having a hard time doing the steps. Only Jungkook and Hoseok were able to get it quickly. Jimin was trying hard to return to his old self, but he was also having a hard time. Then, Jungkook came to him.

“Uhm… hyung, do you need help?” Jungkook asked. Jimin looked at him, and then sighed.

“Yes. I need help. I just can’t get the steps right. Can you help me?” Jimin asked. This was the first time I saw him asking for help in a dance.

Jungkook gladly agreed to help him. They danced in a corner for some time. All the while they were practicing, I was watching them. Jungkook was very dedicated to teaching Jimin the dance, while determination can be seen in Jimin’s eyes. After a few minutes, Jungkook left Jimin alone. Then, the choreographer told us to practice the routine again. Then I saw it. I was surprised to see Jimin moving like new. He definitely regained his movements. It only took him minutes to return to his old self? Is that how good he is?

The other members were also amazed by how quickly Jimin recovered his dancing prowess. When we started, his movements weren’t as sharp as Jungkook’s, not even as sharp as mine, nor as Yoongi’s. But after about ten to twenty minutes of practice, he was now moving like a newly-oiled machine. Jungkook stared at his movements with some spark in his eyes. I can tell that he was very proud of Jimin, and at the same time, he was amazed by how Jimin moved.

Time went by quickly in the dance studio – one minute you’re just entering it, the next, you’re already about to leave, tired from the day’s rigorous rehearsal. We were already loading the van when we heard Jimin speak.

“Guys, I think you go first. I want to stay to practice more.” Jimin said.

“But Jimin, you just recovered from an accident. We won’t want you to become over worked. You’re still fragile.” Namjoon said to him.

“Hyung, I think I’ll do just fine. Promise I’ll go home soon. And I would take breaks.” Jimin said to us to convince us.

“Jimin-hyung, you’re definitely back. Even the practice-addict Jimin I’ve known has returned.” I said to him. “Guys, I think we can’t do anything about it.” The other members looked at me and nodded. “Hyung, please make sure you don’t tire yourself.” I told Jimin before entering the van.

“I’m going with hyung!” Jungkook screamed from inside the van.

“Jungkook, you’re already there! Let’s go home now.” Jin said to him.

“No, I want to stay with Jimin-hyung.” Jungkook protested. He stopped for some time, like as if he was thinking for a good excuse. “I’m going to look after him. So when he’s over practicing, there will be a person to force him to stop.” Jungkook said with a smile. He knew that excuse would work.

“Ok then. Go home in one piece, ok? Both of you!” Jin said before closing the door of the van. We left Jungkook and Jimin in the dance studio and headed back to our house to rest.

When we got to the house, the members immediately headed to their rooms to take a rest and clean up. Jin and I took turns in using the shower, with Jin going in first because he had to prepare our dinner.

After I showered, I immediately headed to the kitchen to help Jin. “Hyung, do you need help?” I asked him.

“Yes.” Jin answered.

“Are you sure you want ME to help?” I asked again. Then, he stopped chopping the onions. He looked my way, and gulped.

“What do you mean?” Jin asked. Is he getting nervous?

“I mean, I might end up eating the food instead of cooking it. Are you sure I can help?” I asked.

“Oh… What the hell Tae! You’ve been helping me prepare food for a long time now. And besides, an extra pair of hands outweighs an extra mouth.” Jin explains. He’s right.

“Ok then. What do I do?” I asked him as I approached to help. Jin instructed me various works, like throwing this, or cutting that, or mixing this, or washing that. However, he never let me do the more meticulous work, like adding salt to this, or cutting that. He won’t even let me peel the carrots.

After a few couple of minutes, the dinner was ready. Jin instructed me to call the other members. When I went out of the kitchen, I was shocked to see Jungkook now coming down from their room, already newly-showered and in new clothes.

“Oh, hi, Jungkook! Why didn’t you tell us you’re home?” I asked him. He looked at me and smiled. Why is he smiling like that? Did something happen?

“Hi hyung! We didn’t find you when we got home, so yeah, we just headed to our room to shower.” Jungkook answered.

“You’re just in time for dinner. Guys,” I said as I turned to face the other people. “Dinner’s ready!” I continued. All of them stood up and headed to the dining room. Jungkook stayed to wait for Jimin.

We were halfway through the meal when Jungkook and Jimin finally came to join us. As usual, Jungkook was Jimin’s personal waiter and baby sitter. Jungkook filled Jimin’s bowl with food, and even filled his glass with the juice. Jimin was just there, watching as Jungkook served him all the food. When Jungkook was done, Jimin said ‘thank you’ to him, and then Jungkook would be happy. The other members were also watching the two of them, smiling at how sweet Jungkook is to Jimin. He’s really making it up to him.

When the dinner was done, all the members headed to either their rooms, or to the living room. Jimin joined Jin in washing the plates. I was about to help the two of them when I saw Jungkook. He was headed to the room… but not to their room! He was going inside mine and Jin’s shared room. What are going to do there?

I silently followed him to the room, being careful not to let him know I was following him. I just peeped at the door frame while he wasn’t looking to see what the maknae’s up to. He took his seat on the chair near our desk, took out a pen, and then removed something from the table. Then he pulled out a box wrapped in black, red, and white. At first, I was wondering what the box was, but when I saw what it contained, it immediately became clear to me. I wanted to shout right there, but I thought it would be best to personally confront him.

“And what is that, huh, Jungkook?” I said as I entered the room. He almost jumped in shock when he heard me, and rushed to hide everything in one of the drawers. “Jungkook, it’s useless hiding those. Remember – you’re actually in my room.” I reminded him. He gave out a sigh of defeat.

“Ok hyung, you got me.” Jungkook said. I approached him and sat at the edge of the desk.

“I know what those things are. Now, the real question is… since when did you keep them huh?” I asked.

“Since the day you told me about it. I’ve kept it here since then.” Jungkook answered. Honest.

“Look, I’m not mad, ok? What are doing to Jimin-hyung’s notes?” I asked again.

“You see, I’m writing on them. On each note, he wrote about his day with me. Now, I’m writing on the back about my feelings for him, my answers for his notes, and my day with him.” Jungkook explained.

“UHHH. How sweet!” I said to him. All of my doubts disappeared upon hearing his words. They are just too sweet to handle.

“So, what are you planning to do?” I excitedly asked him.

“I was planning to give these to him when I’m done writing on them. So that when he reads them, at least, they will make some of the bad memories fade away.” Jungkook said, but as he said those, he became sadder and sadder.

“What are you frowning about? That plan is very sweet!” I said to him, not even thinking about the situation.

“The thing is, I don’t know if I should give them to him. He’s looking too happy now. I might ruin everything that we’ve managed to build so far.” Jungkook said. “I think it might be best to keep these out of his sight. That’s why I hid them in your room. I don’t want him to remember all the hurt he’s been through because of me. He’s had enough of hurting.” Jungkook continued. My chest suddenly felt tight. Jungkook, I get it now. You really care about him.

“Well, it all comes down to you. It’s all your call.” I said to him as went closer for a hug. “Whatever your decision is, I support you. We support you.” I continued, as his hug became tighter and my shirt became wet of his tears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter got a bit longer than the others hahaha.... Ok... Still working on other chapters. I got this very short internet connection, so i took the chance to give you an update, beloved readers! <3

Tnx. Happy reading!

Recommendation: Mistakenly Yours (JiKook)