Fireworks

That Thing Called One-Shots

I took a sip at my coffee in the local coffee shop I always go in to. I open the newspaper to kill some time. I look at my wrist watch, it’s almost 8:30.

I count in my head. 3.. 2.. 1..

The coffee shop’s front door opened and she enters. She gets in the line and I stood from my chair and fall in line next to her.

She’s busy browsing over facebook on her mobile phone. The store’s pretty packed during the mornings so our distance is quite close.

I sniffed her hair, sound creepy, but I can’t help it. Smells sweet as strawberries. Just like before.

It’s her turn and she ordered her usual. “I’ll get an iced caramel macchiato with extra caramel on top.” She said as I recite it with her in my head.

As soon as she gets her order she went out the coffee shop just like any other day.

 

I know her, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a stalker.

Does she know me, you ask? Technically, yes.

She once knew me. How could she not? She is was my girlfriend.

 

 

Lunch time. She usually eats with her friend, Luna. They often eat at Subway near their work place or at a local Korean restaurant.

I watch her from afar and keep myself updated on everything she does.

 

 

Night time came and she’s ready to go home. My car was parked near her work place so I could see if she rides a cab or if she was fetched by her driver.

 

 

Everyday I do this. Everyday, I keep myself from talking to her. I can’t talk to her, I can’t even be near her. I’m breaking rules every time I stand next to her in the coffee shop.

Everyday my guts, my heart and mind screams to talk to her. And everyday I fight the urge to do so.

 

 

 

I woke up and look at the clock. “.” I said to myself.

I overslept.

I quickly showered and readied myself. I was panicking completely, afraid that I would miss a chance to see her.

I reached the coffee shop at 9:00. Damn, I missed her.

I just walk out the shop walking with my head low. I missed her today. How could I be so careless?? Why didn’t I wake up to the sound of my alarm. Ugh.

 

Unknowingly, someone was walking briskly. We collided and the next thing I knew my polo shirt was covered with coffee and caramel.

“I’m so very very sorry!” the girl said. I was mad, not seeing Krystal added to my anger.

I was about to scold the person but instead no words came out of my mouth.

It was Krystal.

Sh-she was talking to me.

“Excuse me.” She said. “I said that I would just buy you another shirt.”

“W-what? N-no, it’s alright.” I said.

“No, I insist.” She said. I was thinking that her sister might find out that I talked to her but hey she said that she insisted. Who am I to take that down??

“O-okay then.” I said.

She drag me and we’re headed to a mall.

“So what’s your name?” She asks.

“Amber.” I said and look at her to see if she will react. “Amber Liu.” I continued.

“Amber Liu..” She said, her brows creased. “That sounds familiar, have we met before?? The way your name rolled in my tongue feels familiar.” She asks.

“Really? Maybe it’s just that my name is a common name?” I suggested.

“Amber?? I don’t think that’s a common name though.” She said. “We might have met each other before, you know. But I have an amnesia so I really don’t remember.” She said and I acted like I didn’t know.

“R-really? H-have you recovered most of your memories?” I ask.

“Hmm. I was able to remember some but I don’t think I got most of my memories back. I always have this feeling that I’m missing something.. or someone that has a huge part of my life. But every time I ask my family about it they said that I was just over thinking.” She said. Of course that would be their answer, I said to myself.

“maybe they’re hiding something..” I suggested.

“That’s possible you know. I have a feeling they are.” She said. “Oh here we are.”

We went to the mall and she bought me a new shirt.

We were standing outside the shop where she bought my shirt.

“So uhm.. thanks for the new shirt.” I said.

“Y-yeah. It was basically my fault..” she answered.

“Uhm.. I-I think you should go? D-do you have work or something?” I said acting like I didn’t know. Don’t go, I wanted to say to her.

“Uh, y-yes.” She said. We were just looking at each others eyes. Stay.

G-goodbye, Amber Liu.” She said and turn around to go.

“Bye, Krystal.” I said. She suddenly turned to me again like she was in shock.

“W-what did you call me?” she asks.

“K-krystal?” I said, looking puzzled.

“I never told you my name.” she said.

.

“W-what? You just told it to me a-awhile go.” I said hoping she buys it.

“Did I?” she asks, she squinted her eyes.

“Y-yes you did. I think you should go, Krystal-sshi.” I said to her, feeling nervous.

“You know what, would you like to get some lunch? It’s nearing lunch time anyway.” She suggested.

I know I should say no..

“I wouldn’t take no for an answer.” She said. I just nodded at her. Again, who am I to turn her down??

 

 

 

We settled in a Japanese restaurant. I know she loves Japanese food.

“Order anything you want. It’s on me.” I said to her.

“No, I invited you. It’s on me.” She said.

“I insist. Plus, you already bought me a shirt. Please?” I ask and look her into the eyes.

“O-okay.” She looked away with a shade of pink invading her cheeks. “Why don’t you order for us. I think just about anything.”

“Okay. So how about let’s try all kinds of sushi they have?” I suggested and her eyes twinkled, I know she loves sushi to death.

“Really?? Okay!” she said cutely.

I called the waiter to order. “Is that all, ma’am?”

“Yes. And oh, please take out the cucumbers if there are any.” I said and I feel her look at me. .

“I really hate cucumbers.” I said to her when the waiter left.

“Really? What a coincidence.” She said.

 

 

 

We ate and talked and laughed, I never wanted this to end. Just like before. She’s still the same girl I fell in love with. The way she moves, her gestures and the way she talks. I could just watch her do all these simple things and never get bored or tired. If I could only stop time and live in this very moment; I would give up anything.

We were finishing up our plates when I felt her looking at me.

“What?” I ask. “is there something on my face?”

“Your eyes.” She said so I wipe my eyes..

“No. There’s nothing in your eyes.” She said.

“What is it then?” I ask.

“Your eyes.. They feel so familiar. So familiar, it feels like home..”

I wasn’t able to say anything, I just stared at her hoping she would remember all of a sudden that it’s me.

“I’m s-sorry. I must be creeping you out. It’s just that we got a long quickly, too quick to be honest. When I had my amnesia, I even find it hard to open up to my family at first.”

“R-really? It must be very hard.” I ask.

“It was. It felt like I carry the world on my shoulders. Imagine the stress I had knowing that I don’t remember a huge part of my memory. Plus the feeling that I can’t talk to my family much.”

“T-that’s so sad.” I said, I should’ve been by her side to comfort her and tell her everything’s okay. “I’m sorry, I showed up just now. I could’ve comforted you.” I said.

“What?” she asks, confused.

“I-I meant if only we met during your hard times.. I could’ve been your friend for you to cry on to, you know.” I said.

“Yes, if only.”

 

 

We  were walking out of the mall when I had the need to ask her.

“So, uh, Krystal. A-are you seeing someone?” I ask, my heart beats so fast I as afraid my chest would burst.

“Hmm, no.” I sighed. “But there’s this guy that bothers me at work. He’s really annoying.”

“What? Who’s he? Want me to beat him up?” I ask jokingly.

“Haha. No need, I don’t have any intention to entertain him.” She said.

“Why? Perhaps you already have someone in your heart?”

“I don’t know. Maybe. Remember the missing someone I said? I’m kind of hoping and waiting that that someone would come and tell me all the things I want to know.”

“Are you in love with that someone?”

“I don’t know. I’m guessing is that, that someone, we have a romantic relationship.”

“Well, whoever that is, that son of a is lucky.” I said jokingly.

“You think so?” she asks while laughing.

“I know so. You’re beautiful, you might seem to be cold but you’re very warm on the inside. The way your eyes make a crescent moon you laugh is just breathtaking. Oh, don’t get me started on the way you look when you just woke up, your hair’s all tangled but you still lo—“ I got carried away. .

“Who are you, really, Amber Liu?” We stopped walking. “You seemed to know so much about me.”

“Oh, look I-I need to go. Really nice to have known you. Bye.” I said hurriedly and ran away.

I felt her following me so I hid myself in an alley.

Sorry, Krystal.

 

 

 

I went home happy and sad at the same time.

When I was near my doorstep I saw a familiar figure waiting for me.

. Jessica.

She saw me immediately.

 

“Amber. I guess you know why I’m here.” She said.

“Look, Jess. I’m really sorry. I know should’ve turned down her invites but I just miss her so much. “ I said to her, looking down.

“You’re breaking our agreement, Amber. Consider yourself lucky, I’m not gunna tell this to our parents.”

“I-I understand and thank you. It’s just weird that I can’t talk to my girlfriend, can I even call her that?” I said. “H-how is she? What else did she tell you?” I finally look her.

“She’s fine. I think she’s somehow confused after your little get together. I know you’ve been watching her, Amber.” Jessica said. I was surprised that she knows.

“H-how did you??”

“Yuri. She told me. Don’t worry I’m not going to prohibit you or anything just maybe keep it down for at least three days. When she sees you, she’s going to question you about everything. I know it. Please understand.” Jessica said and I just nodded.

“S-so what happens if her memories comes back?” I ask hesitantly.

“To be honest, I really don’t know. Our parents would just have to deal with that when it happens.” She said.

 

“So you’re just gunna keep lying to me?”

Krystal.

She came out of the halls and walk towards us.

“Krystal. W-what are you doing here???” Jessica asked, she was shocked and so am I. “How much did you hear??”

“I followed you, Jessica. I felt that something was up so I intentionally told you about Amber. So when you excused yourself right after we talked I followed you. I heard everything, Unnie.” Krystal answered, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. “How could you, Jess. My own family is keeping me from remembering something very important.”

“Look, Krystal. I’m really sorry, okay? We should go. Let’s go home.” Jessica held Krystal’s hand but she yanked it away.

“No. I’m not coming with you.” Krystal said firmly.

“Krystal, mom and dad will kill us. We have to go home.” Jessica said.

Suddenly, Krystal held my hand and all I could do was to stare at our hands. “I-I’ll stay with Amber tonight, my girlfriend. You can make up some lie, I think you’re pretty good at that.” She said to Jessica and look away from her.

“Krystal, please. Amber can you help me out here?” Jessica looked at me.

“I-I think Jessica’s right, Krys. You should go home and rest. Not that I want you here, it’s just that I already have a bad reputation with your parents. I don’t want them to think that I’m taking advantage of the situation.” I said to her.

“No. I’ve made up my mind.” Krystal said to me. “You know what Jess, just tell them I’m with Amber. Let hell break loose.”

“You’re really stubborn, Krys. Look, I’m going to tell mom and dad you’ll sleep over at Luna’s. I’m pretty sure you two would do a lot of catching up. You wouldn’t want an angry parents to barge in Amber’s apartment in the middle of the night.” Jessica said. “For the record, Krys. I was against our parents about keeping some of your memories from you.”

I felt Krystal release my hand and hug her sister. “Thank you.” She said.

 

 

 

We sat on my catch with a big space between us.

“So uh, I bet you want to know how we ended up in this situation, huh?” I said to her and she nodded.

“Well to start of, our families don’t exactly have the best of relations. You know, business. Both our companies competing to be number 1. So your parents didn’t like our relationship from the start. It was fine though with mine though. So yeah we still pushed with our relationship anyways. One night we were riding a taxi after we had dinner, the driver was high, he was over speeding. He passed thru a red light and bam, another car bumped on us. When I woke up in the hospital I asked about you but they told me I couldn’t see you anymore. I tried going to your house but your guards always block me. I tried to scream your name but they would start to beat me up.” I told her.

I look at her and she was crying. I immediately went to her side.

“Hey, don’t cry.” I said as I held her face and wipe away her tears.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t remember, I’m sorry on what had to go through.” She said.

I embraced her and she reciprocated it with her arms around my neck, she’s crying on my neck. I patted her back and tell her that everything’s alright.

“I thought that I couldn’t embrace you again.” I said. “This feels so nice.”

“We should rest.” I told her and she just nodded against my neck.

 

 

We’re lying on my bed and she was hugging me like her life depends on me. I’m not complaining.

“I knew you had to be someone from my past when I saw you.” She said.

“You don’t know how I fight every urge to show myself in front of you and tell you who I am.”

“I wish my memories would just come back.”

“D-do you still remember my lips?” I shyly ask.

“I might have forgotten, I think I need to be reminded again.” She said.

“You’re in luck my lips in business tonight.”

I slowly close the gap between our lips. Just like our first kiss, I saw fireworks right before my eyes and my stomach’s bursting with millions of butterflies.

“Did you feel it?” She asks and I just nodded and kissed her again.

“We’ll stand against all odds. Will you fight for us?” She asks. Without thinking twice,

“I will as long as you’re beside me. I’ll even rise back from the dead if I have to.”

 

 

 

 

The morning was the best part. I woke up and she was cooking us breakfast, she was wearing my shirt that’s too big for her.

I hug her from the back while she was cooking.

“Goodmorning.” I said and kissed her cheek. She turned off the stove and face me as she encircles her arms around my neck and massage the back of my head.

“I could get used to this.” I said to her.

“Hey,” She said. “Guess what?”

“What?” I ask her.

“I remembered some memories. I remembered how we used to go to jeju spontaneously whenever we feel stressed. How you would carry me like we were newly weds at night. How we cuddled one time under the stars when we went camping. How I let you chase me in the beach as the sun goes down. I remember so much and it’s very overwhelming. I feel like a piece of me has been put back right where it supposed to be.” She said.

“I’m very happy for you.” I said and kissed her lips.

“Don’t ever forget that I love you, okay?” I said to her. “You may lose your memory, your possessions but my heart and your heart will never lose its spark. Our hearts will light up like fireworks in the sky when we need to find each other.”

“I love you, Amber.” She said. “I love you too, Princess.”

“How about I make a proposal to your parents to build a partnership between companies to be a better and bigger company and everything will be at peace, huh?” I said to her.

“Why haven’t you thought of that before?” she said and engulf me in a hug.

“They could have all the income as long as I have you.” I said and kissed her again.

“Stupid.” She said. “My stupid.”

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

any suggestions for my next story????