Heroine

That Thing Called One-Shots

The 6 year old me walk around the playground at 7:00 in the evening, all alone, with no adult with me. I snuck out of our back door because I just couldn’t get enough of the playground.

I’m just a kid, it’s normal right?

I was alone. I like it because I have the whole playground just for me.

I sat myself on the swing. I tip my toes and push the ground under my toes and I started to swing. It was already evening so the breeze was cold and smooth on my skin.

A few minutes later I kinda got bored and decided to try the other rides.

I look around. See-saw? Don’t have anyone to play with.

Monkey bars? No. Still can’t reach the bars.

Slide? I smiled. Slide it is.

I climbed the ladder of the slide, I reached the top and sat readying myself for the slide down. I count silently. 1.. 2.. 3..

With little effort I slide down smoothly with my arms raised up. I felt the little butterflies in my stomach as the process of going down happened.

As soon as I reach the bottom I immediately jog back to ladder to go for another slide.

Like before, I counted. 1.. 2.. 3.. the butterflies appeared again and I giggled as it tickles my inside.

Without any second thoughts I jog back to the slide’s ladder.

1.. 2.. 3..

“Boo!”

“AaaaaaaHHHHHHhh!!!!!” I screamed.

Another kid popped her head at the bottom of the slide causing me to scream my lungs out.

I was already crying when I made the landing, my body just sat at the bottom of the slide not being able to move.

“H-hey kid.. I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.” She said panicking.

I just kept on crying because I was startled. Really startled.

“Hey, I’m sorry. S-stop crying.” She said, kneeling down in front of me as she wipe my tears quite hardly by the sleeve of her long sleeve shirt.

A few second passed and my lungs felt like closing making it hard for me breathe.

 

Oh, yes I have asthma. And just my luck I forgot my inhaler at home. Genius.

 

“Hey kid, do you have asthma?” she asked. Wow, this kid knows illnesses. I just nodded not able to talk.

She quickly wrap her arms around m as she my back.

“Okay, don’t panic. Breathe in, breathe out.” She said. She repeated it until my breathing became normal.

Her words brought comfort in me. 

Slowly, my lungs started to function the way they should.

“Krystal!!” I heard someone call me. It was my parents, my breathing just started to regulate normally  again.

“Did she have an attack?” My dad asked the kid as my mom took me in her arms and carried me.

The kid nodded.

“Thank you kid.” My dad said.

“Don’t thank me, sir. I practically was the one who caused her attack. I pranked her. I’m sorry sir.” The kid said and kneeled down and bowed in front of my parents.

“I’m really sorry. I didn’t know she has asthma.” The kid said without lifting her head.

“Get up, kid. It’s okay. You know if not because of you something bad might have already happened to our daughter. It’s a surprise you managed to bring her back to normal. We thought only her medicines can calm her, not even us,  her parents can calm her when she’s having attacks”

“R-really, sir?” My dad nodded.

“What’s your name?”

“Amber. Amber Liu, sir.” She said.

“Oh, you’re Liu’s kid? Come on, we’ll take you home, we just live near you.”

 

 

That’s how we met.

 

Since then I stopped taking my meds.

My attacks lessened down and whenever I have an attack she would be there to calm me down.

 

After that incident we were inseperable until we reached high school.

We went to the same school and we're at the same level. She was two years older than me but she stopped studying for two years because they were from America and she needed to adjust to the language and culture.

It was either we would hang out at her house or at mine, whichever was convenient.

We would often have sleep overs and movie nights.

Slowly I developed feeling for her, feelings far from normal friendship. 

And before I knew it, I already love her.

 

It was a Friday night  and we're hanging in her room watching a movie. The lights were off and were lying on her bed. We rested our upper bodies on a pillow while watching.

We were watching some romantic movie.

"So Soojung, how come you still don't have a boyfriend?" She asks when there was a sweet scene, our faces still on the screen.

"Tss." Was just my answer and a smirk.

"Got no time for boys?" She teased me. And I just giggled.

"Perhaps you already have someone in mind?" She asks, eyes still on the screen.

I didn't answer and just stayed silent hoping she would understand my silence.

"Oh my god, Krystal! You already like some and you're not telling me?????" She said and turned to me and kneeled on the middle of the bed. I just smiled, my eyes not leaving the screen.

"I'm hurt. You don't tell me things anymore!" She said as she place her hands on her heart and acted like she was shot in the heart. How cute.

"Who is he? Do I know him? Is he good to you??" She started bombarding me with questions. stupid. It's you who I like.

"Stop asking me questions. I didn't even answer your question." I told her.

"But silence means yes!" She said. "So do you have someone you're interested with?" I just laughed at her.

"Yah, don't laugh at me. As your bestfriend and your most trusted person in this whole universe I deserve to know." She said confidently.

I got up from my lying position and sat in front of her.

"I told you before right? I only want you my llama." I told her and hugged her abruptly causing us to fall on the bed, me on top of her, I placed my head on the crook of her neck as she rest her chin on my head.

I always tell her this but for her its just a joke and for me, it's real.

"And I only want you too, my princess." She told me and returned the hug as she wraps her arms around my waist.

We just stayed like that, the movie and the past conversation forgotten.

"Have I told you you're beautiful?" She asks me. The movie was a playing a romantic song and with the lights off and us hugging each other.

These little things are what makes this moment perfect. Just perfect.

I just nodded on her neck. My voice might give her an idea that I'm blushing really hard.

"Well, let me tell it to you again so you won't forget." I bit my lips as I tighten my arms around her. "You're beautiful, soojung. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Her words really touched my heart. I can feel butterflies going crazy in my stomach.

Suddenly, my lungs felt like closing again after a long time.

I clenched her shirt and she understood that I'm having an attack.

She tighten her arms around me and my back with her strong arms.

"Breathe in.. Breathe out.." She repeats those words, but my attack was longer that usual, blame my pounding heart.

She adjusted our position, she leaned on the bed's board as she take me in her arms.

"Look at me.." she said and I look at her, worry very evident on her face. "Calm down, breathe with me." She cupped my face and phaseed with my breathing.

After a few more seconds my breathing regulated again.

She took me again in her arms knowing that felt exhausted.

"That's my girl." she said and I just buried my face in her chest. She kiss the top of my head and I felt complete.

 

 

 

 

 

Today's our last day as third year high school students. And I plan to confess to her later when we hang out at my house.

Night came and we were at our living room watching some tv shows. Mom and dad ae still not yet home.

"So, Amber how come you still don't have any girlfriend?" I ask her just like how she ask me before.

"I already have you. I don't need one." She said to me as she pulls me from the side so she's hugging me, her arms around my waist. I leaned to my right and rested my back on her as I place my head on her chest as she wraps her arms around me.

This is just her usual answer but still I blushed.

Our eyes are still focused on the screen.

"Just admit that you're secretly in love with me these past few years." I as I played with her fingers.

I feel her take a deep breathe.

"Okay.. Jung Soojung.. I have secretly and hopelessly in love you these past few years." 

I feel her arms tighten around me as she leaned her forehead at the back of my head.

Her breathing became heavy and so did mine.

I was shocked. I didn't know what to say.

She couldn't be joking me. She should've laughed ages ago.

Is it true? Does she really love me??

Did she just confessed to me????

I wasn't expecting this!

 

"Will you not say anything?" I can feel her hot breathe against my neck and it immediately sent shivers down my spine.

"H-how.." was all I was able to say.

"When I scared you at the park. I just really wanted to be close to you back then."

"I hate you." Was all I managed to say.

She loosened her arms around me shocked on what I told her.

I turn around to face her.

"Look I'm sorry for liki-- hmp" 

I just kissed her. Long, deep and passionate kiss. 

"B-But I thought you hate me?" She asked, shock.

"I hate you for confessing first. It was supposed to be me who will confess tonight." I told her and she just managed to put up a stupid smile.

The stupid smile that I love.

"R-really? You like me too?" She asks happily.

"No." I said, her smile immediatly faded.

"I love you." I told her and kissed her again.

"I love you too, Soojung." She said.

 

 

But that's all in the past now.

Now? I hate her. I hate Amber Liu.

 

That was the day before she left. When I went to their house the next day, they were gone.

My heart shattered. 

The owner of the house right next to them and saw me. She told me they left for the states.

That was the time I experienced my first heartbreak.

How could she tell me she loves me and now completely walk out of my life?

She didn't mention anything to me. I thought we would be together after that night. But she broke my heart without even a word said.

I waited for her. A call, text anything but nothing came.

I remebered how I cry myself to sleep every lonely night.

The days were very long and so were the nights, I don't know how I got through that pain. But somehow I managed.

I hate Amber Liu.

 

 

 

I don't even know why I even come here at the airport. My parents insisted that we go together as a family in fetching the Liu's from the airport.

My whole body and soul is just not prepared in seeing her again.

I found myself glancing at my wrist watch from time to time. I'm not waiting for, I'm not.

A few more minutes passed and they finally arrived.

I keep my head down as much as possible not wanting to see her.

"Good to see you Liu!" Our dads greeted each other. Our mothers kissed cheeks and hugged.

"Nice to see you again, Krystal" Mr. and Mrs. Liu greeted me.

"Nice to see you again too, uncle and auntie." I told them. 

"Nice to see you again, Amber." Mom and dad greeted Amber.

"Always nice too see you, uncle and auntie jung." She greeted them with a smile.

"Krystal.." she acknowledged me. My heart started to race. 

I don't know what to do. Should look at her? But I don't wanna see her!

"Why don't we go now, yeah?" I told the group and pretended that I didn't hear Amber.

I saw her frown in my peripheral vision.

 

From the airport we went straight to a restaurant. Mom and dad treated us lunch.

"So Krystal dear, how've you been?" Auntie Liu asked me.

"I've been good, auntie. I'm an interior designer, just passed the licensure exam." I told them.

"Oh, that reminds me. Amber here, finished architecture and she also just got her license as an architect. Isn't Krystal the reason why you took architecture, right honey?" Auntie Liu looked at Amber who was drinking water.

Amber almost choked on her water and just nodded.

"She always tells us that she wanted to be an architect so she can also look out for Krystal being almost in the same field of studies."

"Aww. How cute." Mom said. "Just like the old time. Amber would always look out for soojung, here." She said as she clapped her hand in reminiscing the past.

I know that Amber felt the tension between us as she just kept her head low as she eat her food.

Somehow, I felt happy that she took up architecture because of me but it doesn't erase the fact that she just left me all alone without a word.

Lunch ended and we sent them home at their old house.

"Bye Krys." She said to me almost inaudible as they went out of the car.

Though it was a simple bye, my heart skipped a beat.

Stupid heart.

 

I went to our house for a while to catch up with my parents. I have been living in my apartment near my work place for quite some time now so being to able to visit home is very special to me.

When it was almost night time I decided to go back to my apartment so I wouldn't have to travel late at night. 

"Bye mom, dad" I told them and hugged amd kissed them.

"Be careful on your way, okay? Call me when you reach your apartment." Mom told me and I nodded.

 

The travel back to my apartment was fast since not much people are on the streets.

I walk in my complex building, took the elevator. I reach my front door and fished my keys out my bag. I noticed that door in front my apartment is open. Someone must've rented it already.

Why don't I pay my new neighbor a visit later? Good idea, Krytal. I cheered myself.

I went inside my apartment dropped down my things, changed my clothes in to comfortable ones and watch the television.

After some time I heard some rustles outside my door. The new tenant must have been getting some furniture inside her unit.

After a while it stopped and her door closed. Time to pay a visit to my new neighbor.

 

I stood in front the new tenant's door and knocked.

A few seconds, and someone finally opened the door.

"Hel...lo" I said with a big smile. But it faded as I saw who the new tenant was.

"Hi, Krystal." She said.

Without having second thoughts I turned around to walk away.

"Wait.." she said and grab my wrist making my body turn.

"What?" I said coldly making sure to put a glare.

She immediately retracted her hand. She wasn't able to say anything instead she just looked deep in my eyes. I quickly look away, not wanting my walls to tumble down.

"You're just wasting my time." I told her when I realized she was just looking at me.

"I'm sorry." She finally said before I start to turn around again.

"You know what? I don't care anymore." I said and walk away.

 

 

===========

Lol. I don't write sad endings. Haha just too lazy to continue writing and I wanted to keep you guys hanging. Sorry not sorry.=)))))))))