Friends

That Thing Called One-Shots

“Jess needs you, Amber.” She told me.

“But you’re the one I want Krystal.” I tried to explain to her. “You’re the one that I love.”

“You know I love you too.. But my sister needs you. You make her happy and all I want is for her to be happy and to live for a long time.” She said tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

“But you wouldn’t be happy and I don’t want that.” I said as I hold her hands.

“I’ll be fine, Amber. As long as Jess is happy and so will I.” She said, a tear fall from her eye.

I cupped her face and wipe the tear with my thumb. “I-I will talk to her, she will understand-“

“No, Amber. Don’t do that. I don’t like Jess to think that I’m taking you away from her.” She said.

“But I don’t want you to go.” I hug her as tears started falling from my eyes. She didn’t hug me back so I hug her tighter.

“Don’t do this, Krystal.” I pleaded.

“I’m not going anywhere, Amber. I’ll always be here. Please, Am. Do this for Jess. D-do this for me..” She said.

“W-who knows, you might really fall for Jess. She’s really kind and loving, you know, and very clever.” She said as I feel my clothes getting wet from her tears.

“N-no, please.” Was all I was able to say.

She pushed my gently, leaving space between us. “Please, Amber. Don’t make this harder than it already is.” She said. “I-in time, w-we’ll learn to forget each other.” She said. I can feel my heart break. How can she say that?

“H-how can you say that?” I ask in disbelief, tears falls harder from my eyes.

“C-cause it’s the truth, Amber.” She said gathering herself and wiping her tears away. “You’ll always be with Jess and it will lead to you having feelings for her. What I’m asking you isn’t hard, Amber. You might soon even thank me for this.” She said avoiding my eyes.

“Y-you’re lying.” I said.

“I’m not, Amber.” She said. I can feel my heart shattering into tiny pieces. How can I forget her?

“I-is this what you really want?” I ask her gathering myself together.

“Yes, of course.” She said, still not looking me in the eyes.

“Okay, then.” I said and turned around leaving her. “Goodbye, Krystal.”

 

“Hi Jessica.” I said as I enter her room. Jessica has a heart disease. The doctors said she has 30% chances of living.

The three of us: Krystal, Jessica and I have known each other since we were kids. As we grew up Krystal and I grew funder of each other. We’re super inseparable but chose to keep our relationship a secret. We were surprised when Jessica told me she likes me, it was the time she was diagnosed with her ailment. She told me she just wanted to say it to me before she dies and isn’t expecting in return Krystal, however, wanted Jessica to be happy and it lead her to breakup with me.

“How are you today?” I ask as I sit at end of her bed as she reads a book.

“I’m fine now that I see you.” She said with a sweet smile and all I could was to give the best I smile I could give her.

“Can you accompany me in my shopping today?” She asks as she close the book not forgetting to insert a bookmark.

“Wouldn’t that be stressful for you?” I ask her in concern.

“Amber, Amber, Amber.  You know little of women though you, yourself is a woman..” She said in a diplomatic tone. “Shopping is a way of relaxation to women.” She finally said.

“Well, obviously I’m not a typical woman, Jess.” I told her and earned her laughter.

“You never fail to make me happy.” She said. “Wait downstairs, I’ll just go get change. Okay?”

 

 

I was sitting on the sofa at their living room when Krystal came down from the stairs from her room.

I stood up to greet her. “H-hi, Krystal.” I said trying to talk to her.

“Hi.” She said shortly with a small smile. “You waiting for Jess?” She asks.

“Yeah, she asked me to go with her shopping.” I answered her.

“O-oh, okay. Have fun.” She said and smiled.

“Y-you should come.” I said to her trying to prolong our conversation.

“Yes, Krys. You should come.” Jess said happily as she descends from their stairs, entering the living room.

“I don’t think so. I shouldn’t ruin your date.” She said and I frown at that.

“It’s not a date, Krys.” I immediately defended.

“Amber’s right. Oh. Why don’t you invite your friend you were telling me about. The one trying to get close to you” Jessica said to Krystal.

“What friend?” I hurriedly ask.

“O-oh, Yuri?” She said to Jessica, ignoring me.

“Who’s this Yuri?” I ask her.

“She’s just a friend, Amber.” She answered me, looking quite irritated.

“You should invite her then, Krys.” I said narrowing my eyes at her.

“Wha-, oh sure! Why don’t I text her now?” She eyed me back.

All of us waited for that Yuri’s reply.

“Oh goody, she agreed.” She said sarcastically.

“I can’t wait to meet this new friend of yours, Krystal.” I said to her as we all head to my car.

 

 

 

We arrived at the mall and we saw this tan and tall girl.

“Yuri! Over here.” Krystal called her attention. She waved back signalling she saw us.

“Yuri, this is Jessica and Amber. Jessica, Amber, this is Yuri.” I eyed her head to toe.

She stretched out her hand for a handshake. “Nice to meet you, Amber.”  I shake her hand as I give her a look. “Krystal told me a lot about you.” She said. What’s that supposed to mean?

“The pleasure’s all mine, Yuri-sshi.” I said to her.

She shake hands with Jessica next. “Wow, you really are beautiful, just like how Krystal said you are.” Jessica blushed but shakes her hand nonetheless.

 

We were going around the mall, I made sure Jessica and I are always behind Krystal and Yuri so I would see what they were doing.

It sickens me to see that Krystal laughs at this Yuri’s lame jokes. Krystal would slap jokingly Yuri’s arm when she laughs. Yuri on the other hand looks like she’s having the time of her life with Krystal.

“Ehem” I tried to get their attention. “ehem” I did it again but they were still in their own little world.

“Ehem.” This time I’m sure I made it loud.

The two girl in front of us finally looked at me.

“Amber, are you okay?” Jessica asked me. “Does your throat hurt or something?”

“N-no, I’m fine.” I said to them and we continued walking.

 

 

After looking at couple stores, we decided to eat.

I sat beside Jessica while Krystal’s in front of me and Yuri sat beside her.

“I’ll just go to the rest room.” Krystal said and excused herself.

“Oh, me too.” I said and followed Krystal.

I entered the rest room seeing Krystal washing her hands.

“Who is she? Does she like you? Do you like her? Are you in a relationship with her?” I bombarded her with question.

“W-what? It’s none of your business, Amber.” She said.

I sighed knowing it’s really none of my business. My heart aches knowing I can’t just question her relationship to anyone.

I slump my shoulders in defeat. Slowly I walk towards her until I’m behind her. I then hug her from the back, resting my chin on her shoulder as I we stare at each others’ eyes in the mirror.

“What are you doing?” She asks but didn’t do anything.

“I just miss you badly.” I said as I close my eyes, feeling this moment.

“I-I miss you too, Amber.” She said softly.

“Are you and Yuri?” I tried to ask again, this time softer as I open my eyes.

She just shook her head in response.

“D-do you like her?” Again, she shook her head and I smiled at that.

“Good.” I said softly. “Let’s go back to them?” I ask her and she nodded and I took her hand.

We were about to exit the rest room when she called me. “Amber.” She said, I turned back and look at her.

“Yes?” I ask her.

Slowly she gave me a quick peck on the lips. I just smiled and look dumbfounded.

 

When we went back to Yuri and Jessica the food were already there and if I’m not mistaken I think I just saw Yuri and Jessica’s hands intertwined and they let go to each other when they saw were near.

 

========================================================

A short story for y'all. Peace out! B-)