That Time of the Year

That Thing Called One-Shots

"I'm here to speak to your CEO, Ms. Liu."

A man in a sleek tuxedo with a look that tells you not to waste a single second of his time tells the receptionist of a little too well-known company in Korea.

"I'm sorry sir but Ms. Liu is not present today and won't be seeing anyone today." The receptionist said.

"Don't  you know who I am? My time is precious, no one wastes my time!" He said, obviously angered with the lady's response.

"I'm really sorry, sir. But she really wouldn't meet anyone today even if it was the queen of England." 

The man stormed out of the company really angry.

 

 

"Is it that time of the year again?" A janitor asked the lady behind the reception counter while mopping the dustless floor.

"Yes, yes it is." She said simply.

 

 

There's a certain day every year that Amber Liu, the owner of the most well-known, advanced and prestigious software company, will refuse to see anyone. No one knows why and how all these started. She would just often lock herself in her office or be somewhere no one knows.

 

 

 

 

AMBER'S POV

I woke up knowing what today is. I unwillingly drag myself off my bed and head in to the shower.

I just wore a simple black shirt and a pair of denim worn out pants, far from my usual office suit.

I checked my phone seeing a message from my secretary telling me that Mr. Lee wanted to see me today for a deal with his company.

Of course, I refused.

I planned not to go to work today and just go to the place.

 

 

That place was quite far but I don't care. I have all day.

After two and a half hours of driving, I finally reached the familiar road. I went off the road leading me to the place.

I park my car somewhere among the the trees and went to the cliff.

 

This is where I lost her.

Krystal, her name's Krystal.

We had our 'vacation'. I was driving, it was raining and it was already evening. 

We were on our way back to seoul after some nature escapade, we mountain hiked and we when we reached the top, I asked her to marry me and she said yes..

The day we had was just perfect. I asked her with the sunset as our witness. She cried when I asked her, not really expecting but a nature trip.

But that perfect day turned out to be the most painful and worst day of my life.

 

I remember how we were holding each others' hand while I drive bavk home. She would usually play her Corrine Bailey Rae playlist everytime we were on a trip.

 

While driving through the heavy rain, I didn't noticed a sign that says 'blind curve'. It was too late when I tried to hit the breaks so out car went off road and fell in to the cliff. A body of water below us.

While we sunk with the car I managed to break open my door window. I managed to get me and Krystal out of the car but the water current was strong.

I first surfaced the water but I didn't see her. I called for her name. screamed my lungs out hoping she would hear me.

A few seconds after she emerged from the water but we were very far apart.

I tried to swim to get near her but I was against the current and my body's already sore.

She was shouting my name for help. I still tried my best to get to her but the water's just to damn strong.

When she saw me struggling to go and try to save her she shouted "Save yourself."

I didn't listen to her so I just kept on swimming towards her.

"Save yourself, Amber." She said once again. 

I ignored her again but my legs started to cramp.

When I look at her she mouthed the words "I love you"

 

 

I woke up in the hospital screaming Krystal's name. I don't know how I ended up in the hospital but the first thing I did of course was to look for her.

They told me that I was found the morning after the accident my lifeless body floating near the river banks. 

But they weren't able to find her.

 

It's been five years since the accident happened and up until now, I blame myself for everything that's happened.

Her body was never found. People said she would probably be dead by now but I refused to believe as long as I see her body.

I still wait that one day she would come home to me, alive and healthy.

But as days and years pass my hope started to get thinner each passing minute.

 

 

If only I had paid attention on the road.

If only I was stronger so I could save her.

If only I was the one who wasn't found.

 

 

 

I stand near the cliff not noticing my tears are already falling continuosly from my eyes.

 

We would probably happy by now. Living everyday of our life beside each other.

She would cook breakfast with her morning hair wearing an oversized shirt as I hug her from the back and kiss her good morning.

And in the evening, I would come home to her home cooking as we talk over our dinner how our days went.

If only.

 

 

I miss her.

I miss everything about her.

If I could only turn back time.

 

 

 

I spent my whole day near the cliff, maybe waiting for some miracle to happen.

It was already dark when I decided to leave.

 

When I reached my house, I decided to drink alone.

I locked myself in my room with cans of beer.

I already drunk 3 cans when I feel the alcohol starts to kick in.

I took the ring I gave her from my necklace. She ask me to keep it first afraid that she might lose it in the mountains.

This might be the most important thing for me right now.

I always made sure to wear it and never take it off me.

I might just go crazy if I lose this.

 

 

 

I don't know how many bottle I drunk but I had a heck of a headache when I woke up.

I went to the kitchen to make a coffee to ease my hangover.

To my disappointment I ran out of coffee.

 

I dressed quickly to go to my local coffee shop.

I ordered my usual drink as I sit on an empty table.

I took my ring from the necklace again and stared at it.

"It's been five years and a day, huh?

Should I still hope that I'll ever see you again?

I miss you, you know. I miss you very very much." I said to the ring.

 

I went out of the shop after finishing my coffee when I bumped on someone who's about to enter.

She dusted herself and I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

"K-krystal?" My body just moved to its own accord and embrace her.

"U-uhm, sir, what are you doing?" She said as she pushed me off her.

"Krystal! I've been w-"

"You must be mistaken sir, my name is SooJung and I just came here in Seoul a few days ago.." She said.

"W-what? But your Krystal.."

"I'm sorry sir but I don't know any Krystal." She said. "I-if you don't mind, I would like to go in my first day of work in this coffee shop." She said and walked passed me.

My eyes followed her. I can't be mistaken, she's Krystal. She must be.

 

The next days I went to the coffee shop every after and before work.

My eyes just followed her every move inside the coffee shop. I may sound like a stalker but I can't be mistaken.

A few weeks passed and we became acquiantances. She learned that I'm a girl and apologized the she addressed me as a sir before.

 

I got off from work really late so I hurried my way to the shop hopping it's still open.

I got in front of the entrance door the same time SooJung was turning the open sign board in to the close sign.

She saw me and she still let me in.

"Come in, you're our most loyal costumer anyway." She said and I smiled and thank her.

The whole shop was empty and it was only SooJung left.

"You'll have your usual?" She asks as she went behind the counter and as I sit.

"Yes, please." I told her. "Make it two. My treat."

 

She served our drinks and sat accross me.

I can't help but to stare at her. Everything about her is very much like Krystal.

"Is there a dirt on my face?" She asks as she rub a part of her face.

"N-no, you j-just really look like someone I know." I told her.

"Is she the Krystal girl you've mistaken me with?" She asks and I nodded. "I must really look like her, huh?"

"Can you tell me about her? I mean it's totally fine if you don't want to."

"N-no its alright. Well, Krystal is actually my girlfriend, fiancè actually." I told her.

"Oh, and I'm assuming something happened to her??" She asks her tone, cautious. I nodded, sadness making its way in my heart.

I unconsciously played with the ring around my neck, remembering about Krystal.

"You have a nice ring." She said when she saw the ring.

"Uh y-yeah. This was hers." I said.

"C-can I look at it?" She asks and I removed it from the lace and gave it to her.

She stared at the ring looking really fascinated.

"It's really beautiful. This would probably be the design I would want to have for my ring." She said. I observe her.

"Oh. This was the date when I bumped in to you." She said when she saw the engraved date inside the ring.

"Yeah, it was the day I asked her to marry me. You remembered that day?" I told her.

"Of course that day was actually my birthday."

"Really? Belated Happy birthday then." I told her.

"Well, not really. I really don't know when my real birthday is, It was just the day I came to the small village I came from." She said and my ears perked up.

"W-what do you mean?" I ask her.

"You see, I have an amnesia. I came to my village about five years ago. I really don't know what happened. I didn't even know myself when I woke up. The peopel in the village just told me that they found me in the shore with wounds, I must've hit my head along the way."