Run

That Thing Called One-Shots

My alarm clock rings again. Arghhh. I seriously don’t want to get up. Just thinking about work today spoils my day.

 

I stopped my clock from ringing and recited my mantra.

 

“You need the money. At least she’s pretty.” I keep repeating to myself.

 

I groggily drag myself to the bathroom to prepare for today.

 

You all see, I’m not really this grumpy kind of person. In fact, I’m the talkative, nice, outgoing kind of human being.

 

It’s just that my employer’s daughter ticks me off. Well, at least she’s pretty.

 

It’s been 3 weeks since I started work in their house.

 

Krystal Jung, I take care of her. I’m kind of her ‘babysitter’. But she’s just actually 2 years younger than I am. You all see, her legs are paralyzed that’s why she needed someone to look over her all the time.

 

She has a nurse that gives her therapy and does the medical stuff and Me? I’m like her babysitter and do all the things she can’t do. Her nurse still has other patients so her nurse, Mrs. Lee, just stays for 2 hours a day to meet her.

 

 

 

 

I stand in front of their mansion’s gate and contemplate to myself if I would work for today.

 

“You need the money, Amber.” With a sigh, I pressed the doorbell and the automatic gates open letting me in.

 

I walk pass the main house and entered a bungalow at the back of the mansion. This is where she lives. She personally asked her parents for her to be isolated because of her own reasons.

 

I entered the house and as usual she’s just in front of her big window staring at the lake. I told you their house is big, right?

 

She noticed me and just glanced at me and just returned to her daily staring.

 

“Well, good morning to you too. Ms. I-see-you-but-I-will-just-ignore-you.” I said to her sarcastically. Mrs. Lee might’ve left earlier since she’s alone.

 

It might ticked her off because she faced her wheelchair to my direction.

“Well, why are still here anyways? I didn’t ask you to be here in the first place.” She said arrogantly.

 

Well, it ticked me off too.

 

“Well because unlike you, I’m not born with a silver spoon in my hands. I didn’t want to be here in the first place, you know. I just needed the money so I could I go to college. Can you just be grateful because me, even if I just drag myself to go here everyday I’m still grateful because at least this is a step closer for me to have a good life.” I said calmly but it’s evident in my voice the frustration I’m keeping in.

 

“So if you’ll excuse me, I will just get some fresh air outside.” I told her slammed the door when got out.

 

I punch the air couple of times to release some anger in me.

 

Before I could even step away from her front door, I heard a crashing sound in her house.

 

I didn’t think twice and rushed back inside.

 

“Krystal!” I ran to her because her hands were bleeding. It seems she bumped in to a vase and some broken pieces made contact to her hand.

 

I kneeled in front of her, got her hand and covered it with my shirt to somehow stop the bleeding. . My shirt’s all red.

 

I look at her, she’s crying. Was I too harsh or she’s crying because of the pain.

 

I dashed to get the first aid kit and back to her.

 

I cleaned her wound and she’s just staring blankly at nothing. I cleaned the shards of glass from the vase and decided to talk to her.

 

She’s back staring at the lake.

 

“Hey, look, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I was just getting frustrated. That’s all.” I said.

 

“it’s not your fault, I’m sorry too. I was being unreasonable.” She said.

 

“Hey, let’s start all over again. You really don’t look like a bad person.” I said. I went in front of her and extended my hand.

 

“Hi, I’m Amber Liu.” I told her. She stared at me and I insisted that she shake my hand. Slowly a smile creeping in to her face.

 

“Hi, Amber. I’m Krystal Jung.” She said smiling and shake my hand.

 

“That wasn’t hard, was it?” I said to her. “You look even more beautiful when you smile.” I said and I blushed, did I just said that?! She looked away and blush too.

 

Days passed and we learn to get along. We would now walk along their garden. She would even tell me stories. She told me the time she fell from a tree because she was trying get some fruit from it. She showed me the place where should would often go when she was a child.

 

“Hey, Krys. H-how did you.. ?? uhh, never mind.”I stuttered.

 

“How did became paralyzed?” She asks and I nodded.

 

“Y-you could just ignore the question you know, it’s totally fine.” I said.

 

“It happened one night. The night that changed my life. It was a party, I was with my boyfriend back then we got so drunk, I, got so drunk. He really planned to get me drunk so he could take advantage of me. So the night went on, drinks were everywhere. We were in his car, on the to his apartment. So long story short, we got hit by a fast car. My condition was worse than his since the car crashed from my side. The next thing I knew I was in the hospital and couldn’t feel my legs. Week after I got home he broke up with me. What an .” She bitterly laughed.

 

“Since then, I thought no one would ever want me and that I’m just a dead weight to everyone. That’s why I isolated myself here.” She finished.

 

“That’s not true. You’re actually very likeable.” I said.

 

“I am?” she asks and I nodded.

 

“Let’s go back, it looks like it will rain soon.” I said and pushed her toward the house.

 

 

 

“Amber, can you carry me to bed?” she asks. We just got in to her house and she wanted to rest.

 

I crouch my body to her and she drape her arms around my neck. I usually do this to her but this time feels different. Our close proximity makes my heart beat fast. I gulped as I felt her tighten her arms around me. I placed my hands on her back and at the back of her knees ready to lift her from her wheelchair.

 

“1.. 2.. 3..” I lift her bridal style and transferred her to her bed. Maybe because of her tight hold around my neck, I lost my balance and fell on top of her while her arms were still around me. I quickly prop my arms on her sides so I wouldn’t completely fall on top of her.

 

“S-sorry.” I said. I know I should already stand up but she was looking at my lips and her arms felt so right around my neck.

 

We stared at each other, our eyes looking at either our eyes or our lips. I can feel our hearts raised its beat. I can feel her hot breath against my lips. Does she want me to kiss her? B-because I do.

 

As if hearing my question, she closed the gap between us.

 

Our lips danced with each other. Slowly, we explored each others lips and soon, each others mouth. We separated for air.

 

“Y-you’re a good kisser.” She said, blushing.

 

“Am I?” I ask, smiling like an idiot.

 

“You know what? I think I still need some convincing.” She said and I closed the gap between our lips.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, I felt very excited to go to work. I was  greeted by their butler.

 

“Ms. Liu. I would like to say that your services are now not needed by the household. They travelled to America at dawn.”

 

“What??” was all I could say.

 

I went home crying. I can still feel her lips on mine. How can she leave so sudden??

 

 

 

 

 

Today, I have a high position in a company. Days after they left, I received a mail telling me that I was given a scholarship to attend a very good university. Since then, I focused on studying and hope that one day I will get to see her again.

 

I didn’t regret anything about her. I still replay our kiss every time I miss her.

 

It’s funny to know that within a short a period of time I already found someone whom I want to spent the rest of my life with.

 

In the most unexpected place and time, I felt forever with her.

 

To be honest, I tried to forget her and tried dating but my problem is I’m looking for her in every woman I tried to date. To put simply, it’s always been her that I want.

 

Not a single day passed that I didn’t think of her. Does she ever think of me?? Will I ever get to see her again??

 

I miss her and I still have to tell her that I love her.

 

 

 

 

 

I was having a nice cup of coffee while I read today’s newspaper in a coffee shop. I turn the page and quickly took a glimpse outside the window. I blinked twice, did I just see Krystal??

 

My heart started to beat erratically like.

 

I dashed outside the café leaving my things behind, even my tab.

 

 

She was walking briskly so I had to run. I nearly collided with a bicycle and bumped to a couple of people. I’ve mistaken 3 ladies with her.

 

I stop near an alley. I couldn’t see her anymore. I was sweating buckets and my spirit feel so down. I can’t be wrong. I would recognize her face anywhere. But she was walking. I now started to doubt if it was really her that I saw.

 

I slump my back to the nearest wall and sat helplessly.

 

 

“I’m starting to see things.” I said to myself.

 

I went back to the café and paid for my bill and went to work. I was late.

 

The whole day, I was thinking about her.

 

“Miss Liu. Your 3:00 meeting is here.” My secretary said.

“Please send her in.” I said.

 

I was focused on the paper I was reading that I didn’t notice someone walking in.

 

“Someone’s busy.” The voice said. The tone, the timbre of the voice..

 

My head immediately strike up. It’s her, she’s here.

 

“Krystal..” I was so in shock that I couldn’t move a single muscle.

 

“Am I too late for everything?” she asks.

 

I ran to her and envelope her in a hug. I couldn’t speak everything is so overwhelming.

 

We just stayed in ach others embrace.

 

“Please say something.” She said.

 

I finally look at her and tears started flowing down my eyes. This has to be real, I said to myself.

 

“I love you.” I blurted out. “I love you so much.” I repeated.

 

“You don’t know how much I love you too” she said. Without second thought, I kissed her. She immediately responded.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said in between kisses.

 

I look at her.

 

“Why did you leave before??” I ask.

 

“I had to. I want to be better again because of you. When we left for the states, you were the only one in my mind. I figured that I want to walk again. The therapy I took has a 100 percent assurance that I could walk again in America. I left because I want to dance with you. I want you to chase me in a beach. I want to run with you just like little children playing tag. I want to explore the world with you.” She said and I teared up again.

 

“You’re here now and that’s most important thing.” I said.

 

“I love you, Krystal.”

 

“I love you too, Amber.”