Necromancer - October 24th

365 Days of EXO Drabbles

Supernatural AU.

 

After constantly seeing on the news various weird stories about desecrated graves, and missing bodies, and all this weird wave of things that were happening, the cemetery was the last place Chanyeol wanted to be at the moment. But he couldn’t deny his widowed mother the right to see her husband’s grave at the anniversary of his death.

While they were there, Chanyeol accompanied his mother with care, but he couldn’t help but feel a strange vibe. It was like the air was thicker, he could hardly breath. He constantly looked around, afraid that if there were one of those grave robbers around there, they would hurt him and his mother for catching them in the act.

He knew that was silly of him to think, since it was still day, and they weren’t the only ones there; other families moved around, visiting their loved ones, and there was even a huge gathering at the farthest south of the cemetery, as if they were currently burying someone. But he still felt tense. He couldn’t hurry his mother, as even after years had passed, she still grieved, and those moments at his father’s gravestone where necessary for her.

The cemetery grounds were huge – that was the biggest one in town – and the fact that he couldn’t properly see every corner of it concerned him.

Calmly moving away, he decided to leave his mother’s side for a while, so he could walk around and check the place’s safety.

He had always been like that, having to see it with his own eyes to feel safe. Since he was a kid, whenever he was scared of monsters in the closet or under his bed, he always needed to check thoroughly so he could feel calm. Even as he grew up, he was the type of people that would check the entire house if he had heard a strange noise. It was probably not the best strategy, as various horror movies had showed him, but he couldn’t help it, his heart wouldn’t calm down if he hadn’t confirmed there wasn’t any danger around.

He strolled through the grounds, checking as far as he could, without bothering any of the other parties of people that were there. He went to the farthest north of the place, where it was the emptiest. He was about to walk back after confirming no one was there, but through the various trees around, he saw something.

At first he though his eyes were tricking him. What he was seeing wasn’t possible. There was a skeleton moving around. Literally walking on its own, trying horribly to move dirt into a hole in the ground, which Chanyeol felt it looked like a grave that had been dug up – or even, dug out of.

He felt he was hallucinating. That wasn’t possible. Maybe he was sick; he did feel he had a little fever that morning. Maybe his temperature rose so high he was seeing things.

And right there, in front of his eyes, at mere feet away from him, something started rumbling in the ground, he moved around to hide behind a tree, and that gave him a different vision of the scene. Now he could see, near the moving skeleton, a girl sitting with her back to a gravestone, looking bored, just moving her fingers around.

That rumbling he had felt near him suddenly caused a noise, and as he peeked over to check on it, he saw the dirt on top of one of the other graves move, and soon enough, a boney hand seeping through it. He was seeing another skeleton leaving its own grave.

Now he was more than sure he was hallucinating.

“Cover the hole up. Tidy up after yourself, I’m tired of getting caught.”

The girl said, loudly enough for the new skeleton to hear, and Chanyeol was able to catch her words too. And without hesitation, the newest addition to the freak show he was witnessing started to move dirt as well, just as his other partner, covering the grave he had just slipped out of.

Chanyeol was way out of it by then. He was more than sure he would wake up at any minute, he was sure that was all a weird dream.

He stepped back, slowly, silently. He made sure he was far away enough before he started running back to his mother, so he wouldn’t make any noise to alert that weird party.

He went back, but he didn’t share what he saw. He just pressed on her to move on, so they could leave. He was waiting for it, for the moment the dream would end, and he would wake up, but it never came. He was awake, he was conscious. Even if he couldn’t yet believe it, what he saw was real.

 

The End. 804 Words.