It's Us

The Inseparable Ones

                 It was 7 o’clock in the morning when sudden commotion arose in one of the hanok house in Bukchon. Grandfather Jung who just finished his daily stretching was startled. Yein and her aunt also shocked by someone’s yell.

“Yein-ah! Why didn’t you wake me up? We’re late you know?” Jungkook rushed to the dining room with his uniform in a mess.

“Late for what?” asked Yein confused.

“School, of course. What else?”

                Yein laughed uncontrollably hearing Jungkook’s answer. Her aunt held her smile and continued to make breakfast. Jungkook only confused with Yein's laugh. She move closely to Jungkook.

“It’s Saturday you silly. No school today,” Yein flicked Jungkook’s forehead lightly.

“Eh? Really?” he asked while rubbing his forehead.

“What’s the morning commotion?” asked Grandfather Jung

“Jungkook thought we were late to school today. But today is Saturday, harabeoji,” answered Yein

“Aigoo, young man. Maybe you should have breakfast,” Grandfather Jung pulled the younger man to sit beside him and Yein.

                It’s just a simple morning for both Jungkook and Yein. It’s been 12 years since the accident. Yes, they mostly forget about the fire. But, they have to move forward to make a better living. They were lucky after the fire, they were sent to the orphanage together. A year after, her aunt and her grandfather looked for their dearest Yein and agreed to bring Jungkook together with them.

“It’s delicious, imo,” praised Jungkook. He finished his plate of kimchi fried rice.

“Thank you, Jungkook,”

“By the way, don’t forget today is your important day,” said Grandfather Jung. Yein only nodded and Jungkook stood up to see the date. It’s their parents’ death commemoration. “You guys should be ready.”

“Yes, harabeoji,” they said in unison.

***

                The train was not that full though it’s Saturday. Every year on Desember 24th, both of them would go to Busan to pay attention to their parents. They would also visit the ex-building of their apartment and the orphanage that took care of them.

“It’s been a while, isn’t it Jungkook-ah?” asked Yein

“Yup. It’s our first time coming here after accepted in high school,” Yein nodded and staring at the flower she hold. “Seems like we have arrived,”

                Jungkook took Yein’s belongings before helping her to go down from the bullet train. She lengthened her stick and followed Jungkook to come out from the station. Since their ex-apartment was not far from the train station, they decided to take a walk. Jungkook walked slowly to match Yein’s pace.

                She was diagnosed with bitemporal hemianopsia, that’s why she needs a stick to guide her. As Jungkook, he felt responsibility to take care of her. He promised to his parents and himself to always protect her no matter what.

“Jungkook-ah, you know you don’t always have to take care of me. I am grateful for you to stand beside me since we were kids. But seriously, I can take care of myself,” said Yein.

“I know. I just want to. Don’t say anything about that okay. You know, you can rely on me,”

“Thank you Jungkook-ah,” there was a heavy silent between them. “So, which club do you want to join?”

“I don’t know. I found soccer club and dance club seems interesting. How about you?”

“I’m thinking of the radio club or maybe athletic club. Or maybe both of them?”

                Jungkook caressed her hair and chuckled. “I think you’d make a great job in radio club. I like hearing your voice.” Yein was about to say something but Jungkook cut her speech. “O, we’re arrived.”

                Yein lifted her head and saw the abandoned apartment of their home. The information board said that the site would be demolished and to be built a park there. Both Jungkook and Yein put a bouquet there and prayed. After that, they visited to the orphanage. Unfortunately, the orphanage was closed because all of them were in vacation. So, they went to their parents graves.

                Both of them cleaned the graves and decorated it with new flowers. Both of them sat before it and prayed.

Omma, Appa, how are you there?

This year me and Jungkook came here to pay visit to you guys. So many things happened this year. Can you believe that you little daughter now is a high school student? We’re both got accepted at Seoul High School. Harabeoji and imo were so kind for taking care of me and Jungkook. Could you please told God to take care of them for me? I always send my prayers to both of you. Please rest in peace, please watch me and Jungkook from above there. I love you.

 

Omoni, Abeoji, It’s been a year since the last time we visited you. How are you there? I hope you rest in peace. I want to say thank you or taking care of me even though you guys were not beside me anymore. I’m a freshman in high school now. Can you imagine that? Your bratty little boy is now a big boy. Please watch us from above. Don’t worry I will take care of Yein now until she found someone who could replace my position. Though I don’t want to. Omoni, Abeoji, I hope you could keep my secret from Yein. I know you already knew that I joined this group since last year. I hope you don’t mind, since I have a reason why I join the group. Please rest in peace. I love you.

               

                Jungkook lifted his head and saw Yein was waiting for him to go home.

“You’re done? Let’s go home. Imo just send me a message. She asked us if we could drop by the supermarket to buy some dinner ingredients,”

“Okay. Let me clean the rest first,”

***

                Yein was asleep with her head leaned on Jungkook’s shoulder. He was about to sleep to but his phone distracted him to do so. He read the message and sighed.

“Looks like I couldn’t join dinner today,”

***

“Where are you going?” asked Yein

“The seniors from the soccer club invited the newbies to join their first practice at school. So, please tell harabeoji and imo that I couldn’t join dinner tonight,”

“okay,” Yein brought the groceries and walked to the hanok. “Then, why did you still here?”

“I’m walking you home, of course. It’s already dark, and I have to make sure you’re going home safe and sound,”

“Hey, I’m not an eight years old you know. I could go home by myself,” Jungkook didn’t give a response and just walked helping Yein. “If you worried because of my eyesight, don’t be,”

“Yein-ah, just walked,”

“Tsk. You stubborn head,”

                After making sure that Yein entered the hanok safe and sound. Jungkook took out his phone and read the message once again.

Jungkook-ah, come at the usual place 7 pm. Don’t be late

                He hated to keep a secret from Yein but he has to because he didn’t want to make her worry. Because he didn’t want her to know his other identity that he’s been kept for a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How's the first chapter? I hope it's not that bad. Keep supporting the story, Bangtan, and Lovelyz please!They are so alike

They are so alike, don't you think? Or it's just me and few netizens out there? hahaha

credit picture: melting-fangirl@tumblr