It's not a nightmare, it's her past

The Vengeance of Justice

Yonghwa sighed inwardly as he scanned the palace grounds but caught no sight of Shin Hye. He glanced at the warm coffee cup he held in his hands. Was he the foolish one to continue chasing after Shin Hye when she had never expressed interest in him? She was nice to him, sure, but she was nice to everyone else as well. He had no idea what she was thinking, but he had never doubted himself until this moment. It had been one month since the last time he had seen her, and while he had heard from her colleagues about her new attachment to a tv station, he wished that he had heard the news directly from her. He sighed again, heavily this time as he headed towards a nearby trash can. He lifted the drink above the trash can and was all ready to throw it in when he heard a familiar voice. "Yonghwa sshi? Are you here to look for Shin Hye again?" He turned around to see Seohyun standing lifelessly in front of him. His eyes widened as he saw the dark eyebags under her eyes and her pale, tired face. "Seohyun sshi! Are you feeling alright? You look very pale and tired. Have you been that busy?" He reached out to tap her shoulder but she shied away from him suddenly. Yonghwa felt confused, what had happened to the warm and friendly Seohyun that had always been very comfortable with him in the past. "I'm fine." She responded, more harshly than she intended. She knew that she had always been jealous of Shin Hye and she had a strong crush on Yonghwa but in the past, she was able to control her emotions and act normally in front of him. I guess my feelings are getting deeper, she realised with despair. She quickly turned away from him before telling him, "Shin Hye isn't here. She came with the tv crew just now but she left with the director. I don't know where she is now." Before Seohyun could leave however, Yonghwa grabbed her hand. "Seohyun sshi, don't misunderstand me but you really look very sick and tired right now. Is there a problem?" Seohyun felt her emotions rising and she struggled to retain a hold on her tears. She turned back to Yonghwa and looked at him with glassy eyes, before suddenly smiling. There was a tinge of sadness to her smile though, which caused Yonghwa to be even more concerned. "Did you know, Yonghwa sshi, that you are the first person today to tell me that I look tired? That you are the first person, and maybe the only person around me who actually cares for my wellbeing? You're right, I do have a problem, my cousin is terminally ill and I can't do anything to save her. She's dying even as we speak and yet I can't spend my time with her, rather, I have to work to support the both of us. That's what's wrong, Yonghwa sshi, and what's even worse is if she dies, I'll be left alone." 

Yonghwa pulled Seohyun into a hug. Although his heart still belonged to Shin Hye, he was a naturally affectionate person, and he truly couldn't stand to see women crying. Seohyun cried harder as she wrapped her arms around him. She finished the last part of her speech softly, as she whispered while being held in his embrace. "The worst part is that the only other person who actually cares for me in this world cares for Shin Hye more." Yonghwa continued to pat her back, totally oblivious of Seohyun's inner grief. 

Finally when Seohyun had stopped crying, Yonghwa suggested getting a drink together. She agreed and they walked to the intersection, preparing to cross the road. Yonghwa caught sight of someone familiar on the other side of the road. It was Shin Hye. He raised his hand to wave to her, but he lowered his hand and started to frown once he spotted the unfamiliar man leaning very closely to Shin Hye. They seemed to be arguing and Shin Hye seemed to be crying, which made Yonghwa's blood boil. In his anger and worry, he didn't hear the question that Seohyun had posed to him and when she didn't get a response, she looked at the direction he was looking at and her smile froze on her face. There was a sinking feeling that Shin Hye was there and she wouldn't be alone with Yonghwa anymore, but worse than that, she had an ominous feeling. Shin Hye continued to back away from Jongsuk, but he kept coming closer, and Yonghwa clenched his fist to prevent himself from running over immediately. He hoped desparately for the pedestrian light to turn green but his mind went blank when he heard the loud horn. 

A big red car was headed in Shin Hye's direction and she was already standing on the main road, having been forced off the sidewalk by Jongsuk. She stared at the oncoming car in horror, but couldn't bring herself to move at all. She couldn't stop staring at the car, the feeling of fear and dread suddenly becoming very familiar. A similar scene had occurred before, but she didn't know when. The nightmares that she got occasionally suddenly started to replay before her eyes. In her nightmare it was a big truck, in this reality it is a red car. In this reality, the driver is an old ahjusshi, in the nightmare...the driver was a young man...a young man with pale skin that looked...that looked like Jongsuk. It wasn't a nightmare, she realised, in a rare moment of lucidity. It was her past. 

All of a sudden, she found herself lying unhurt in the gravel near the sidewalk. She had no idea what had happened in the past few seconds but she knew with all certainty that she was alive. Her head hurt a little from where she had landed but it was bearable. She sat up gingerly as someone ran to her. He helped her up gently and asked her worriedly, "Shin Hye ah! Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" It was Yonghwa. She nodded her head slowly. "I'm fine, I'll be fine. What happened?" "You were about to get hit by a car, and you were just standing there, frozen in the middle of the road, when that man pushed you out of the way. I'm so glad you're alright!" He wrapped her tightly in a hug and Shin Hye realised he was shaking as well. "Wait, what man?" Shin Hye suddenly realised what Yonghwa had said. "A man saved me?" She questioned. With the trauma of the near accident and the sudden recollection of some of her memories, she had completely forgotten the confrontation that had happened before this. "There. We called the ambulance already." Yonghwa pointed towards Jongsuk, who lay in a pool. of blood. Seohyun was attempting to get a response from him but he remained unconscious. 

Shin Hye gasped, not just because Jongsuk had just saved her life but because she now remembered him as that truck driver. She broke out of Yonghwa's embrace and ran to Jongsuk. She lifted a finger to touch him hesitantly, her mind in a lot of conflict now that she had remembered part of her past. Why did Jongsuk still risk his life to save her then?