The Past is Coming back to Haunt

The Vengeance of Justice

 "Basically, these are the quarters in which the last Crown Prince of Korea resided in. The plainess of this residence directly contrasts the grandeur of the rest of the palace, showing how the status of the royal family had declined greatly at the end." Shin Hye explained, as she gestured to the residence. Sora and the other scriptwriters nodded as they jotted down more notes. The cameramen were also taking a few scenery shots to determine whether this place was a good place for filming. Jongsuk stood a distance away with his arms crossed, half paying attention to the explanation and half observing Shin Hye. Once she had finished talking, Jongsuk made his way over to her. "Shin Hye sshi," he called gently. "Uhh yes PD-nim?" Shin Hye answered shyly. This was the first time he had initiated contact with her and she was momentarily flustered. "You've worked hard today, would you do me the honour of getting you a drink?" Shin Hye blushed, but nodded and followed Jongsuk to a Gongcha outlet. Once there, Jongsuk ordered a Matcha Latte for himself before automatically ordering an Earl Grey tea macchiato for Shin Hye. "Omo, how did you know I liked this drink?" Shin Hye asked, surprised. "...Huhh? Oh...I...I just took a wild guess. I'm glad that it was right." He fumbled as he came up with an explanation, but thankfully Shin Hye seemed to buy the excuse. "I've liked this drink ever since I can remember, I don't know, I think something about it reminds me of my past." She chuckled as they walked out of the store, sipping her drink contendly. Jongsuk, however, was stricken by what Shin Hye said. He remembered all their bubble tea dates, where they would get drinks, him a latte, her a macchiato, and they would sit in the park, drinking and flirting. It was these simple dates that she remembered the most, he thought to himself, with a smile on his face. Shin Hye gazed at Jongsuk quietly while he was reminiscing and observed him deep in thought. She studied his face, his fair skin, his shining eyes, his pursed up lips, all of which she found very familiar. Without realising it, she reached a finger towards his cheeks. He snapped back to the present right in time and stared at her suddenly. "What are you doing?" He asked her, shocked that her finger was within close proximity of his face. 

"Ah you scared me! Oh uh...nothing..."she pulled her hand down guiltily and hid her hands behind her back. She blushed furiously, serously annoyed at herself. He patted her lightly on her head. "It's okay haha, I know I'm handsome." Her eyes widened at his self-praise but he stuck out his tongue at her. "I'm joking, relax!" She laughed loudly, to both of their surprise, but Jongsuk joined in quickly. Their laughter died down after a while, but Jongsuk followed up with a question. "Shin Hye sshi, can you tell me about yourself?" He asked the question casually but his heart was beating very fast. He wanted to confirm whether she had really lost her memory, but more than that, he genuinely wanted to know more about her, and how she had been living the past few years. Shin Hye sighed as she pondered that question. "To be honest...I really don't know about myself...my memories only date back to 3 years ago. I have no family that I can remember, and nothing about my past that I can remember. When I woke up in the hospital, the doctors there told me my age and my name, but that's all I have really. Haha, I don't even know my own birthday." She said all this monotonously, but it pierced Jongsuk's heart like arrows. He looked into her eyes as he thought, I'm so so sorry for bringing you all this misfortune. I just had to do it at that time....I'm sorry...  "February 18." Jongsuk suddenly said. Shin Hye raised an eyebrow in surprise. "What?" Jongsuk's eyes widened as he realised the date that had popped out from his mouth. "Oh, ani, ani, when you talked about birthdays I just remembered a birthday of a close friend of mine." Shin Hye laughed lightly at this and turned her attention back to her drink, which caused Jongsuk to heave a huge sigh of relief. "So, you've been living by yourself all this while?" He asked once again. 

Unexpectedly, Shin Hye shook her head as a shy smile appeared on her face. Jongsuk was startled, but didn't show it. He even felt an uneasy feeling at her smile. "There's this oppa who's been taking care of me...we met when I was working at the palace. He came for the guided tour as a visitor the first time, but since then he's been coming regularly to visit. Everytime he comes he'll take me out for a meal, give me presents, talk to me and take care of me. I have a feeling that he wants us to go into a relationship, but I haven't had the guts to admit my feelings for him." She twirled her hair as she thought of Yonghwa, this time even giggling a little. Jongsuk watched her, petty anger burning in his heart. Although he was such a murderous jerk to her in the past, he didn't stop loving her, and he had subconciously wished that she had done the same. 


Park Jisung scowled when he saw Jongsuk and Shin Hye sitting together at the drinks shop. He stood in an alley, a short distance away from the cafe. He had flown back to Korea and had immediately set out looking for Shin Hye. He had received word that she was now working with a TV station and was at Changdeokgung palace, and later on that she had gone out for drinks. He observed the fun way that the couple was communicating and clenched his fists. "That Lee Jongsuk has popped up once again. Increase the surveillance on my daughter and protect her at all costs." He ordered coldly, before getting back into his chauffered Rolls Royce and leaving. 

Jongsuk had spotted the old man, but by pure chance. After laughing at a joke Shin Hye had shared, he looked at the window briefly, only to have the Rolls Royce catch his eye. When they entered the cafe, he was sure that there wasn't a car in that alley. He looked closely at the people around the car, and one man stood out among the rest, causing Jongsuk to gasp suddenly. His blood ran cold and his hands started to tremble. He breathed deeply, trying to dispel his fears and tell himself that it wasn't real, but when he looked again, Park Jisung remained there. Worse still, Park Jisung was staring straight at him.