The Last Day

The Vengeance of Justice

Shin Hye opened her walk-in wardrobe and ran her fingers over all the new dresses and clothes that her father had purchased for her since her return the day before. She heaved a deep sigh as she walked through the wardrobe, her mind entirely on what would happen after today. Her thoughts returned to the conversation that she had with her father the day before, which had left her kneeling on the floor like an idiot. Not that it made a difference anyway. 

One day ago 

"Do I really have to do that? Appa, isn't there any other way to appease you? Why must you make your daughter into a criminal? Why make her kill the one person who she loves whole-heartedly? Appa...why are you so cruel?" Shin Hye cried as she knelt in front of her father. "Appa, don't you love me? Why would you want me to suffer all this? Why can't you just let go and continue living?" Ji Sung turned to look at her, his eyes livid. "Shin Hye, why are you making things difficult for a father who only wants to protect you? He is the only threat to our happy life now, he deserves this, after all that he did to the both of us. And his father to your omma...don't even let me get started on that story." Shin Hye sunk to the ground, the harsh reality instantly hitting her. This feud...it was never ending, it wasn't something that could be solved simply, it had to end with a death. 

"I understand, Appa, I'll do it." Shin Hye stood up woodenly, her face and voice now devoid of life and expression. Ji Sung looked at her ashamedly, regretful of his outburst. "I understand why Appa is feeling this way, I'll put aside my feelings, I'll do it. Just, Appa, give me one day with him. That's the least you could do, right?" Ji Sung nodded and Shin Hye left the study. 

Present 

Shin Hye picked out a white tea dress and quickly changed into it. She braided her hair swiftly before reaching into her bag and taking out 2 rings. She slipped one onto her finger and kept the other ring tightly in her grasp. Pulling on a pair of stylish flats she smiled at herself in the mirror before she headed out. Even her smile was sorrowful today, she realised. 


Jongsuk straightened his collar for the 1000th time that day, and ran his fingers through his hair one last time. He smiled at himself in the mirror before leaving, but he noticed how his smile was nervous and harrowed. When he saw Shin Hye waiting outside his door however, his smile turned into a real one. He held her hand and twirled her around gently, admiring how gorgeous she looked. She clasped his hand more tightly than usual, and when Jongsuk looked into her eyes he saw the emotion in her eyes. "Let's go!" He whispered softly in her ear, causing her to smile brightly. 

They stepped out into the rare sunny London street and basked in the sunlight. "Where are we going first?" Jongsuk asked. Shin Hye grinned as she pulled him along the path towards a nearby park. They reached a bicycle rental shop where Shin Hye asked in fluent English to rent a double-seater bicycle. After handing over the cash, Shin Hye emerged from the shop with a long bicycle. Jongsuk's jaw dropped at the sight. "Don't tell me you wore a dress to go cycling?" Shin Hye looked down at her attire and shrugged. "Oh well, it's not like it really matters if this dress is ruined or not." She stuck out her tongue playfully at Jongsuk before boarding the bicycle. Jongsuk groaned when he realised that he had to ride at the front. "This is going to be one tiring journey..." he muttered under his breath, but he couldn't hide his smile when he spotted Shin Hye's impish grin. It had been a while since they did something fun like that. 

Jongsuk took off cycling, whistling as he cycled. Shin Hye was as light as a feather to him but he smirked at her anyway. "Yah...where did I go to find a pig of a girlfriend?" Shin Hye reached out her hand to flick him but she had to grab the handles in front of her to keep her balance. "Yah Lee Jongsuk!" He chuckled as he turned back to face the front. They took a break when they reached the Central Park. Shin Hye hopped off the bike and reached into her bag. Jongsuk parked the bike and looked at her curiously. "What did you bring?" Shin Hye grinned at him as he displayed a neatly packed lunchbox. "Jjang-jjang!" Jongsuk clapped his hands like a kid on Christmas Day. "Wah...Park Shin Hye, you are definitely full of surprises today." 

Jongsuk nibbled on his sandwich as he stared at Shin Hye's beautiful face. She ate as quickly as ever and he laughed at her when he saw crumbs on around . He touched her lips gently and wiped the crumbs off her face. "How can you be so careless about your looks...I must have been posessed to love you as much as I do."  Shin Hye closed her eyes as he spoke and tears formed in her eyes. Jongsuk's touch was sadder than usual and he fondled her cheeks affectionately. Shin Hye's lips warbled as she tried to hold in her tears and she turned away from him. "Jongsuk ah, we need to talk." Jongsuk's face fell, he knew that it couldn't be avoided as well. He closed his eyes and turned away from her as well. "Yes, we do." 

"Today is the last day. Everything ends tomorrow." Jongsuk sat up straight suddenly, a tingle running down his spine. "What do you mean, the last day? Why is it the last day? What is going to happen?" Before Shin Hye could answer however, Jongsuk's phone rang. It was Jong Kook. "Lee Jongsuk, our plan, we execute it tomorrow. It's the only chance we have before Park Ji Sung leaves London tomorrow night. We have to get him arrested." Jongsuk paled, it was all too coincidental. "What is happening tomorrow?" He asked with a quiver in his voice. He didn't know who he was directing the question to anymore. Shin Hye continued to look away from him but her hands started to shake. Without waiting for a reply Jongsuk hung up on Jong Kook and turned his attention to Shin Hye. He grabbed her hand and yanked her up from the bench. "Tell me the truth, Shin Hye, what is happening tomorrow? Did you know that Kim Jongkook is helping me? Does Park Ji Sung know?" 

Shin Hye looked at him with tear-filled eyes and was dying to tell him the truth but he suddenly embraced her. She struggled in his grasp, confused, but he leaned in and whispered in her ear. "There's someone watching us right now. Don't tell me anything now, your father is tailing you, I don't want you to be in danger. Just tell me by nodding, is there a trap for me tomorrow? Is Kim Jongkook part of it?" Jongsuk sighed heavily when he felt her definite nod. He leaned in again and her hair, his eyes on the man in black sitting a distance away from them. "Then tell me this as well, should I trust you?" It took Shin Hye a while to answer, but she finally listened to her heart and summoned up her courage. She nodded firmly, and felt Jongsuk's grip relax around her. He hugged her properly this time and she snuggled closer to him, her tears once again flowing out. She hoped she could fufill that promise.