Forgiveness

The Vengeance of Justice

"I remember now, Jongsuk." Jongsuk looked at Shin Hye, who had tears streaming down her face. His mouth opened but no sound could come out. He stared at her wordlessly, his eyes reddening and his lips trembling. He stood up in a daze, and walked towards her slowly, as if he was hypnotised. "S..Shin Hye...Shin Hye..." He could only call out her name over and over again as he her cheeks and then grabbed onto her hands. Shin Hye wiped the tears from his eyes lovingly and pulled him into a tight embrace. "I missed you so much, Jongsuk, I'm sorry that it took me so long to remember." Jongsuk held her tightly, not wanting to let her go. "This is a dream isn't it? Shin Hye...I missed you so much as well...I'm so sorry about everything..." 

"So...how did you get your memories back?" Jongsuk asked Shin Hye. They were seated on the rooftop of the TV station to talk about things after their tearful reunion. They sat very close to each other, both of them still disbelieving of the fact that they were finally reunited. After the euphoria though came the cruel reminder of the unspoken history between them. "I had been getting headaches recently, with some memories coming back to me suddenly. For example, when you saved me from the car accident, I remembered my own car accident, the one that took place 5 years ago. Coupled with the conversation that I overheard between you and...my father...I started to get suspicious of our relationship. I happened to watch Myungsoo and Krystal act out a breakup scene and some of the lines that they said seemed extremely familiar to me, those were the exact words that you said to me when we broke up. That's when I got a massive headache and fell down the stairs. When I woke up at the hospital, I remembered everything." Shin Hye explained. Jongsuk looked a little embarassed when he heard about the Myungsoo-Krystal breakup scene and fiddled with his hair when she mentioned it. "I...I am a scriptwriter who likes to incorporate my personal experiences into the scripts that I write...I can't believe you remembered that." 

"Of course I did," Shin Hye replied flatly. "You know how words or events that hurt the most leave the biggest memories and scars? Despite losing my memory, I remembered how devastated I felt at that time." Her sorrowful tone pricked Jongsuk's conscience and he looked at her apologetically. "Shin Hye ah, at that time I didn't..."  "I know what your intentions were, and I'm not blaming you for it. It wasn't completely your fault." Shin Hye said in a hard tone, but as she continued it softened slightly. "I just wish that you could have told me what you were going through so we could have worked through it together. It was my fault for not telling you about my father, and my father's fault for doing all those evil things, but you could have saved the both of us a lot of heartbreak and sorrow if you had just confided in me from the beginning. I'm not asking you to forgive my father, I just wish that you could have trusted me enough to tell me how you were truly feeling." 

"You wanted me to tell you how betrayed and lost I was feeling?" Jongsuk questioned in a half spiteful tone. Shin Hye looked at him in shock. "Why are we suddenly arguing?" She asked, hurt. "Mianhae...I was just overwhelmed." He apologised before looking away from her. Shin Hye breathed in deeply as she looked at the beautiful skyscape. There was silence as the two of them tried to gather their emotions. Shin Hye closed her eyes and sighed. This was not how she had pictured the reunion to be like. She had expected tears, laughter, joy, hugs, all of which had happened, but only for a brief moment. When reality set and all the painful memories returned, it was impossible to continue to act as if nothing had happened between them. When she opened her eyes, Jongsuk was kneeling in front of her. 

"What are you doing?" Shin Hye asked as she tried to drag him up, but he remained resolute. "Shin Hye, I...I am so sorry for everything that I did in the past. Yes, your father did horrible things to my father, but that didn't mean that I could take revenge that way. I believe that he will get the justice he deserves in due time, so I shouldn't have driven that truck with the intention to kill. My father actually left me a letter, telling me to continue living my life and not to take revenge, but it was a pity I didn't learn that lesson earlier. I realise my mistake now, and I have been severely punished for it, so will you please accept my apology and give me your forgiveness?" 

Shin Hye looked down at her hands before replying softly, "I forgave you a long time ago. 5 years ago, to be exact. When you hit me with the truck, I had a moment of lucidity before I out and lost my memory. I remember looking into your horrified eyes and I forgave you there and then. I know that it's not easy to forgive someone who did something so bad to you, but I also know that love will always trump anger and the desire for revenge. With the last of my efforts, I forgave you with all my heart, because I loved you. Correction, I still love you." Jongsuk looked up at her with gratitude sparkling in his eyes and Shin Hye took the opportunity to pull him up. She dusted off the dirt from his pants affectionately and patted him on the shoulders. "Don't ever do something as stupid as that anymore, it's cold on the ground!" Jongsuk pulled her into his warm embrace again and they stayed in this way for a long while, quietly basking in each other's presence. "I'm glad you're alive, Shin Hye, you have no idea how long I wanted to tell you that." Jongsuk whispered to her softly.