Totally destroyed

The Vengeance of Justice

"Why should I believe you?" Sora stared at Shin Hye half defiantly, but there was a tinge of real fear in her voice. "Why are you even telling me now?" Shin Hye held onto Sora's hands. "I'm telling you because Jongsuk's father was wrongly accused and we need your help to clear his name. Just tell us, do you recognise Park Ji Sung?" 

"...I think he came round to our house a few times for dinner...he seemed like a nice man though..." Sora finally revealed. "How did you know it was him? From what I know he wasn't even at the scene...he was the kidnapper?" Sora looked at Shin Hye, her eyes wide. Shin Hye nodded slowly. "This...this doesn't even make sense...why would he want to kidnap and kill my appa?"  "I'm sorry...I don't know."  "Alright then, I'll help you find out." Sora made her decision and confidently declared. 

Sora led the way down the hospital corridors while Shin Hye, Jongsuk and Bo Young followed. "My brother is out with a friend right now but we can meet him later. I know that he'll want to help as well. My mother should be resting in her room now..." As they entered the room, they collided head on with Seohyun, who was leaving the room. "Oh, Shin Hye ah!" Seohyun took a look at the crowd around Shin Hye and nodded meaningfully. Shin Hye promised to call her later before Seohyun left the room. The 3 of them stood around Jiyoung's bed, greeting her respectfully. Jiyoung made no response, as per usual, but her gaze lingered on Jongsuk. Slowly, she lifted a finger and pointed it at him. "You...Lee Min Seok..." Sora was afraid that her mother would have a breakdown at the mention of Minseok's name so she hurriedly explained. "Omma, this is his son, it's not Detective Lee." To her surprise, Jiyoung remained calm, and Sora continued to introduce everyone else. When she reached Shin Hye however, and introduced her as the daughter of Park Jisung, Jiyoung suddenly stiffened and her face grew pale. She cowered in fear at the sight of Shin Hye, which immediately led Bo Young to ask, "Auntie, did Park Jisung ever visit you after Mr Kang's death? Did he ever threaten you? Why are you so afraid of him?" Jiyoung shook her head and seemed unwilling to speak, even after much coaxing from Sora.

"Can I see a picture of Park Jisung?" A voice piped up behind them, startling everyone. It was Sunny, who had sat up on her bed and was looking interested in their conversation. Jongsuk retrieved a photo that Woobin had sent him recently and passed it to her. She stared at it for a moment before a slight frown appeared on her face. "You recognise her?" Shin Hye quickly asked. Sunny nodded hesitantly. "I wasn't in the room when he was here, but I remember walking past him on his way out. I remembered him because he was rather attractive for a middle-aged man and he was wearing a branded suit. Oh, he also had many bodyguard-looking people with him, so it stuck in my memory." "When was that?" Bo Young asked, all the while recording notes on her phone. "Umm...probably about 3 weeks ago?" Sunny answered.

"She's right, it was 3 weeks ago." Now it was Jiyoung's turn to speak, which caused everyone to whirl their heads back at her in surprise. "I'll tell you what he spoke to me about if you tell me what you're here for. Especially you two." She glanced at Jongsuk and Boyoung, her gaze mildly unforgiving. "It wasn't their fault, they didn't cause Appa to die." Sora explained. "It's a long story but simply put, Detective Lee was framed and the real culprit was...Park Jisung...Shin Hye's father." Jiyoung stared at her daughter in confusion. "Why are you suddenly sprouting lies like that, Sora? That's not the truth and you knew that. It was all Detective Lee's fault." As Sora and her mother continued to argue, Jongsuk sensed something amiss in Jiyoung's words and started to recall how Jiyoung had reacted earlier on, to the mention of Jisung's name, as compared to when his father was mentioned. If she really blamed his father and feared him, she ought to have had more reaction, rather than her fear when Park Jisung was mentioned. It suddenly became clear to Jongsuk that Jiyoung was lying when she claimed to believe that Lee Min Seok had caused her husband's death, she had been instructed to do so. 

"Auntie, don't lie anymore. Did Park Jisung tell you to feign ignorance and continue to pretend to believe that my father killed Mr Kang? You know the truth, and he threatened you to hide it. Am I right?" Jongsuk asked suddenly as he gazed intensely at Jiyoung. His blazing eyes glared right into her soul and she felt as if all her secrets could be seen by him. "What did Park Jisung really say to you, 3 weeks ago?" Jiyoung looked at him, white in the face, and she suddenly felt extremely exhuasted, as if there was no point to continue fighting. She sank back in her bed and sat quietly for a few moments before she finally decided to be honest. "Park Jisung, I knew from the start that he was involved. He was a deadly underworld character, ruthless and cunning, and I knew all along that Hee Gun had business with him. I persuaded him against it many times but Hee Gun never listened. He only saw the profits in everything Jisung offered to him, whilst I saw the dangers. Hee Gun got too greedy for his own good, and was getting dangerous to Jisung. When Hee Gun was kidnapped, I knew who was the main culprit, but I never thought Jisung would actually kill Hee Gun. When he did, I went ballistic, and I was all set to confront him head on. When I reached his office though, he showed me a picture of my two children at home, they were in funeral clothes and crying in the living room. A few meters away from them however, was a trained assasin. He had his sniper aimed at them. It was a warning, and I knew that, so I left his office that day without saying a single word, and allowed Detective Lee to take the blame without telling the truth. That's the real reason why I became so depressed, Sora, because I was hiding this great burden in me all these years. And there was nothing I could do about it. That day when he came to visit me, he told me that someone from the past had returned and could potentially throw this case open once again. He threatened me not to say anything, once again with the safety of my children. I'm sorry for only saying this now, I'm sorry for not preventing an innocent man from being executed, but you have to understand my difficulties. I'm sorry." Jiyoung felt like a great load had been lifted off her chest and she was able to breathe easily again. There was a stunned silence as this astonishing revelation came out, and to Sora, it felt like a stab on her back. The mother that she had felt pity for all these years had actually been harbouring such an important secret? Jongsuk and Boyoung's lives had changed drastically overnight all because of that one secret that Jiyoung had failed to reveal? And the only reason why she didn't reveal the truth was for her children's safety. Sora felt sick to her stomach as the guilt overwhelmed her and she turned away from her mom, unable to face her. Boyoung turned off the tape recorder that she had on as she sighed deeply. Jongsuk bit his lip as he looked at his shoes, trying to figure out what to do next. Shin Hye, however, had tears in her eyes. Throughout the investigation, she had heard nothing else but bad things about her father, and they were getting progressively more cruel and mean. How could her father ever be so heartless? She screamed soundlessly, and suddenly wished for nothing more than to see him again, just so she could ask him all these questions. 


Jaesuk was sipping his coffee when his phone rang. "I'm here, what do you want me to do now?" "Do you see that guy with round spectacles and messy hair?" Jaesuk nodded as the caller continued. "Follow him back to the hospital room where he came from and at night, put the drug you received earlier in the woman's IV line." Jaesuk looked up in horror. "What are you telling me to do now? To commit murder?" "Yes, indirect murder actually. It should be small fry for an experienced killer like yourself, right?" The caller said mockingly. Jaesuk turned pale as he gripped his phone tightly. "I thought we agreed never to speak of that again." 

"Yes, we did, but the moment you screw up or disobey me, the newspaper hotlines are on my speed dial. Then, your reputation as the respectable Yoo Jaesuk will be totally destroyed." 

Jaesuk swore under his breath before closing his eyes and answering, "Alright, I'll do it." Once he hung up, he started to eye the young man who walked up in front of him, cheerfully ordering coffee. Having received his order, Minhyuk smiled as he walked towards Yonghwa, who was seated at a table nearby. Jaesuk, having locked his target, muttered to himself, "I'll do it."