Living in a Lie

The Vengeance of Justice

A/N: To apologise for not updating yesterday as I had originally intended to, I will be double updating today as a belated Christmas present! Blessed Christmas everyone and may you have a great year ahead :) 

"You had us all worried, did you know that?" Sora nagged incessantly as she helped Shin Hye stand up. Jongsuk hovered anxiously at the side, still worried for her but unable to express it. As if she sensed it, Shin Hye smiled at him. "PD-nim, I'm really alright. I'll just take the day off today to rest so don't worry so much." Jongsuk immediately faked indifference but nodded and left the room. She heaved a small sigh of relief before taking out her phone to call Seohyun to pick her up. 


Seohyun had just completed a tour when she saw Yonghwa standing outside the office again. She rolled her eyes mildly as she wondered for the umpteen time how Yonghwa was so free to keep looking for Shin Hye. Oh well, a chaebol is a chaebol. Shin Hye is so lucky...She masked her dissatisfication with a bright smile as she went over to greet him. "Looking for Shin Hye again? Didn't I tell you that she wouldn't be here until the variety show is finished? That'll take a few months at least." Yonghwa grinned cheekily as he shook his head. "Aniya, I'm not here for Shin Hye today. I'm here for you! Merry Christmas!" He handed her a small package which she accepted in shock. This was the first time Yonghwa had come specially for her, and although it was extremely cold, she felt all warm and contended inside. She smiled again as she remembered his warm embrace a few weeks ago. "T..thank you, I'm sorry but I didn't prepare anything for you." He shook his head again with a smile. "It's alright, I know that you've been very busy lately." "How about I treat you to hot chocolate instead? I have about an hour to my next tour so we can go to a nearby cafe now!" Seohyun blurted out impulsively. Yonghwa looked a bit startled but he smiled and agreed all the same. 

"So..how is your cousin now? The one who is..terminally ill..." Yonghwa looked rather uncomfortable at the question but Seohyun was touched that he had remembered. "She's not getting any better but at least the painkillers have helped her a lot...she's not going to survive much longer, but the both of us have accepted that." Seohyun sighed as she thought of her cousin, Mi Suk. "This could be her last Christmas with me...so I was thinking of having an event for her." It was already December 23 and there was very little time to prepare but Seohyun had the next 2 days off. "Oh, what event?" Yonghwa asked curiously. "Nothing much actually, I'm actually in the process of writing a song and I'll present it to her at the hospital on Christmas morning! I'm planning to take her carolling around the wards as well. It'll cheer up not just her but all the other patients, hopefully." Yonghwa grinned at the idea and for a moment he saw Seohyun as someone new, someone who was filled with love and kindness. He didn't know why he had never seen that side of her before. Maybe I was too emamoured with Shin Hye to notice her, he thought ruefully. "You know what? I think that sounds like a great idea. Can  I join you? I'm a pretty good singer myself!" Seohyun was surprised by his unexpected enthusiasm but nodded her head eagerly at his suggestion. She was about to let him hear her new song when Shin Hye called. 

Half an hour later, Seohyun and Yonghwa appeared at the hospital huffing and puffing. They had dashed from the cafe to the hospital when Shin Hye told Seohyun what had happened. Thankfully for the 2 girls, Yonghwa had driven a car. When Yonghwa saw the bandage on Shin Hye's head, he rushed to her and asked her affectionately, "Are you okay? Does it hurt?" Seohyun stood at the side, watching him with a growing sense of disappointment. The past hour that he had spent with her had been so delightful that she had deluded herself into thinking that there was a possibility for him to like her, but seeing his reaction with Shin Hye, she told herself once again that it was impossible between them. Shin Hye waved off his questions and instead asked to be sent home. She gave the excuse that she was tired, but Seohyun, even amidst her disappointment, could tell that she was hiding something. When Yonghwa dropped Shin Hye off at home, Seohyun followed her in the house. 

"Park Shin Hye. You're hiding something. What is it?" Seohyun asked her directly before Shin Hye could go in her bedroom and hide. Knowing that there was no way out of this situation, Shin Hye decided to tell the truth. After all, it was too difficult to carry this heavy burden on her own. "I got my memories back, Seohyun, I now know who I am." Seohyun looked at her in shock. When they had met at work for the first time 4 years ago, they had hit it off instantly and Shin Hye had confessed that she knew nothing about herself except her name, which was told to her at the hospital. At that time, neither Seohyun or Shin Hye had expected that she would get back her memories one day. "I now know who my father is, who I used to love, what I used to work as, and what exactly happened to me. That burden is suddenly so heavy to bear, that I now wish that I never remembered. I have a man that I love, that I loved to death, and when I met him again I didn't recognise him. There is so much obstruction in our way, but I can't bring myself to forget him. Now everytime I see him, there's an ache in my heart and I don't know what I'm going to do about everything. Do I tell everyone that I remember now, that I recognise them, that there's no use trying to hide anything anymore? Or do I just feign ignorance and let everything carry on blissfully? I don't want to remember the past, and neither do they...why can't I just forget everything and pretend that I don't know about everything that has happened...why can't I just love him without any reservations?" Shin Hye confessed everything and she felt drained when she had finished. Seohyun sat silently, lost in thought at Shin Hye's story. She could understand Shin Hye's point of view, but more importantly she knew that it was wrong. "You can't live in a lie forever, Shin Hye. It'll just wear you down eventually." 


Meanwhile, about 20 meters away from Shin Hye's apartment building, Woobin sat in his warm car. It had been a few weeks since Jongsuk had tasked him to keep surveilance on Shin Hye and although Jongsuk had since told him to stop his surveilance, Woobin had continued to do so. Together with Jongsuk, he had a big part in the events of 5 years ago, and he knew that things involving Park Shin Hye were never surface level. It was a good thing that he had continued to do so, because he had finally chanced upon something suspicious. It came in the form of a black car, which Woobin had seen about 8 times in this surveilance period. He had even memorised the car plate number by now. This car only appeared at her apartment complex, and Woobin was sure that it didn't belong to anyone living in the area because he had never seen the driver leave the car. Today, however, was an exception. Out of the passenger seat an old man stepped out. With his eyes fixed on Shin Hye's unit, he stood in the cold for a few moments before heading back inside. Woobin wasn't able to hear what he said, but he snapped a few photos of the man and sent it to Jongsuk. 


Park Jisung stepped out of his car and looked up at Shin Hye's apartment. "Shin Hye ah, I'm a useless father. I'm sorry for everything, and I hope that you'll have a Merry Christmas. Stay healthy and happy, and never remember the past. I love you." He headed back in the car and commanded the driver. "To Incheon Airport."