Final Showdown (1)

The Vengeance of Justice

Jongsuk paid the taxi driver and stepped out of the cab. He in a gust of cool air and rubbed his hands together nervously. Swallowing hard, he walked slowly towards the abandoned building in front of him. He checked his watch, it was 4pm on the dot. Jongkook had called him the night before, arranging a meeting here. He had questioned the intent of the meeting, Shin Hye's words still ringing in his head, but Jongkook had just told him to come without any doubts. Jongsuk knew that he had no choice but to follow the plan. It was the only way anything would be done, whether or not it ended in his victory over Park Jisung or not. 

As he approached the building, a chill ran down his spine and he felt goosebumps appearing on his skin. "Aish, I'm definitely walking into a trap, I know this..." Jongsuk muttered to himself, but he kept walking forward. Finally he reached the big door and he pulled it open with as much courage as he could muster. The door opened fairly easily, for such an old place and Jongsuk stepped into the dark hallway. He walked in timidly, calling out. "Jongkook sshi? Are you here?" The sudden glow of the flashlight startled him as Jongkook walked over to him from another corridor. "Oh, you're here? I hope you didn't have too much trouble coming here." 

Jongsuk shook his head but approached Jongkook warily. "Why are we meeting here?" Jongkook looked around his surroundings with a wistful smile on his face. "This place...it's an abandoned building that we sometimes use for secret meetings. It's in a place that is extremely far from the nearest police station, so if anything illegal with the Boss goes on here it's pretty secure." Jongsuk felt butterflies in his stomach but managed to keep his composure. "So why are we here?" 

"I arranged a meeting with the Boss at 6pm. You can hide here and ambush him when he comes." Jongkook spoke confidently, a little too confidently in Jongsuk's opinion. "Is it really that easy?" Jongsuk asked skeptically. Jongkook nodded vigorously and led Jongsuk to an empty room. "Wait here for my signal." Jongsuk surveyed the room and sighed heavily. He had no alternative but to wait. Reaching into his bagpack Jongsuk pulled out his pocket knife, his heart thudding out of fear for what was to come. He would protect Shin Hye, and together they would get out of this mess. 


"He's there already? So easily? Alright, good work." Ji Sung cut the call and bit on his cigar, deep in thought. A wicked hardness came into his eyes as he put his cigar down and reached for the drawer under his desk. He pulled out a silver pistol and fondled it. In another part of the house, Shin Hye pulled on her black hoodie and tied up her hair quickly. Ready or not, it was D-Day. She reached under her bed and pulled out a small gun she had pocketed from one of the guards earlier on. Hesitantly she held it, bitting her lip as she thought of the events that lay ahead and how her father wanted her to kill Jongsuk personally. As much as possible she wanted to avoid violence, but she knew that when it came down to it, if she could protect Jongsuk, she would do anything, regardless of the cost. A loud knock sounded on her door, startling Shin Hye as she tried to stuff the gun in her bag nonchalently. She opened the door to find her father, dressed in a suit as per usual. "Let's go, it's about time for the appointment." Shin Hye nodded weakly at her father as they walked down the stairs and into the car, where Jongkook was waiting. Shin Hye avoided Jongkook's eyes for the remainder of the journey and fended off as much conversation with her father as was possible. When he wasn't looking though, Shin Hye watched her father carefully. The greying hairs on his head were already showing but his eyes were as alert and harsh as always. She took in his firm jawline and his clenched fists, realising with a pang that she had never seen her father relaxed before. Why must you always live so tormentedly, Appa? She asked him silently, tears forming in her eyes. 

When they entered the old building, the musty air in the building surrounded Shin Hye and she found it hard to breathe. It was eerily silent and seemed to be devoid of any life, which made Shin Hye even more nervous. She held on tightly to the straps of her bag as she walked behind her father. According to Jongkook's plan with her father, Jongsuk was supposed to be here waiting in ambush for her father. Shin Hye could only hope that Jongsuk wasn't stupid enough to come here unarmed. Her heart nearly stopped a moment later when Jongsuk appeared behind her and grabbed her around her neck (albeit gently). Something shiny and glistening was in his hands and he placed the knife near Shin Hye's neck. Shin Hye didn't even have a chance to scream before Ji Sung whipped out a pistol and pointed it at Jongsuk. In a split second several guards rushed in and surrounded Jongsuk, their guns cocked at him as well. 

Shin Hye felt like screaming at Jongsuk for recklessly placing his life in danger when Jongsuk dropped the knife suddenly. He also released his hold on her, leaving her at a corner to catch her breath. Fearlessly, he walked towards Jisung and looked at him intently in the eye. "It's about time we settled this feud between us, one on one. Numbers don't matter when your opponent is desparate, and believe me, I am rather desparate right now, to get out of London and return to Korea and to live with this girl forever." He gestured to Shin Hye, who stared at him in disbelief. "But if killing her and then myself is the only way to be with her permanently, I don't mind doing that either." 

Ji Sung stared at Jongsuk, who had no hint of fear or terror in his expression. He was dead serious, however, and Ji Sung knew it. And then Ji Sung did something totally unexpected. He laughed, so loud and so hard that his guards started to stare at him weirdly. Nodding his head at Jongsuk he signalled his guards to put their weapons down and to leave the room. "We'll settle this ourselves then, I'll play fair." Ji Sung proclaimed, dropping his pistol to the ground as well. 

Stunned at the sudden turn of events but knowing that she had to continue playing her part, Shin Hye walked over to her father's side, where Jongkook was standing as well. Ji Sung pulled up a chair and sat down, waiting until Jongsuk had done the same. "Let's have a diplomatic talk then, and maybe if you manage to convince me I'll have you die a less painful death." 

"Why must our feud end with death? Can't we coexist peacefully?" Jongsuk asked earnestly. Ji Sung scoffed, "co-exist with the person who harmed my daughter? Co-exist with the person who constantly gets in my way and ruins my plans? Honestly, Jongsuk, the reason why Kang Jiyoung had to die was because of you. If you didn't probe into the events of 5 years ago, the Kang family, excluding Hee Gun of course would still be living happily ever after. For that matter, so would the Yoo family. As of approximately 6 minutes ago, Yoo Jaesuk should have been involved in an unfortunate fatal traffic "accident". If you hadn't caused so much trouble, I wouldn't have had to send him on so many missions and he wouldn't have screwed up so majorly. You see now, Jongsuk, all of this tragedy is your fault. Once you disappear from the face of the earth, all our problems will be solved. Aren't I right, Shin Hye? You told me how you wanted to get rid of this nuisance before, now is your chance." 

Her father's self-righteous and merciless words made Shin Hye feel sick to her stomach but she knew that this was the crucial moment that her father had prepared her for. It was the moment that she was in control, the moment that she could turn things around. Shin Hye caught Jongkook's eye and he flashed her the tiniest wink but she caught it. She knew that Jongkook would back her up when the time came, and with that confidence Shin Hye stepped forward slowly. Before she could even take out her gun, however, a gunshot rang out. Ji Sung had picked up his gun and swiftly shot Jongkook in his stomach. Jongkook stared at the blood that was flowing out from his body numbly and Jongsuk and Shin Hye watched in horror as Ji Sung sat back nonchantly as if nothing had happened. "Oh look, Jongsuk, you just caused another death. This is what happens to idiots who decide to betray me." Jongsuk sat back in his chair, thoroughly stunned. He had thought all along that Jongkook was going to betray him, but it turned out that Jongkook was double-crossing Ji Sung as well. A cry came out of Shin Hye's mouth but she restrained herself, knowing that she had to seize the opportunity. 

"You...you caused all their deaths. Even Jongkook oppa...I wonder why I ever loved you, you...you're a creature without love. Appa told me to kill you, and now I see that it's the right decision. Go to hell, and I would love to never see you again." Slowly, Shin Hye raised her gun and pointed it directly at Jongsuk's heart.