Sacrifices

The Vengeance of Justice

Jaesuk his son's hair gently as he watched the sleeping forms of his son and his daugher. The room was perfectly silent except for their even breathing and the heavy thudding of Jaesuk's heart. He couldn't get the image of Sora and Minhyuk crying out of his mind. Maybe it was because he was a father now, but he felt extraordinarily guilty for Jiyoung's death. He had felt less when he had killed all those years ago, but that was before he settled down to start a family. Now that he had a reason to stay out of jail, he felt even more anxious that he would get caught. "I'm sorry, my children..." He whispered to them as tears started to form in his eyes. 


Shin Hye rubbed her eyes tiredly as she forced herself to continue staring at her computer screen. She was never a good Biology student and bio facts bored her, but for Sora's sake she was willing to go the extra mile. They had had suspicions about Jaesuk but there was nothing they could do about it yet because they didn't have any solid evidence. They couldn't get the hospital cctv or anything like that as well without filing a police report and getting a warrent, neither of which they could do without the incriminating evidence against Jaesuk. When Shin Hye had reached home, she found herself worrying and uneasy, hence the extra research to find out what cardiac arrest could be caused by. 

All of a sudden, a thought came into her mind. She was half certain that her father was behind all of this, somehow, but she didn't know what the link between Jaesuk and her father was. Thinking quickly, she started to google search Jaesuk. After all, the Internet was an amazing thing. Moments later, she sat back in defeat. The information about Jaesuk only started after he had started working at the TV Station, the rest of his past was unknown. A 'ding' sound from her computer awoke her from her momentary daze and she clicked on the bouncing message icon. She had just received a message from her bestie Seohyun.


Seohyun grinned to herself as she sent the picture to Shin Hye. Yonghwa chuckled next to her. "You're that happy about it? It's just a couple selfie after all." Seohyun nodded eagerly. "I still can't believe this is true." She admitted unashamedly. Yonghwa wrapped her in a back hug. "You'd better start believing it, because it is." Seohyun was surprised at his sudden gesture. "Why are you doing skinship so quickly? I'm shy..." Seohyun suddenly thought of something and wrenched herself from his embrace. "You're not doing this to me just because Shin Hye rejected you right? You don't see me as her replacement, right?" As Seohyun asked the question, Yonghwa looked at the agitated Seohyun, with tears b in her eyes. Although she was afraid of his reply and was even bracing herself for the impact, her questioning voice was still steady and confident. As he looked at her, Yonghwa became even more sure that he loved her for who she was and not because she was Shin Hye's friend. He had to admit, their relationship was kind of a sudden development, but after that day when they went to the hospital together, Yonghwa found himself thinking about her more often than he wanted to admit. When they had met up for a meal the day after, Yonghwa unexpectedly popped the question. "I like you, do you want to date?" 

He touched her face tenderly. "I'm sure, Seohyun, that I love you exactly for who you are. You're not perfect, but no one is. I love everything about you, especially your flaws, and I think that I still don't know you enough. Will you give me this chance to really get to know you?" A tear fell from Seohyun's eyes as she hugged him again. The reassurance from him was enough to finally dispel the inferiority she had been feeling compared to Shin Hye. "Thank you, Yonghwa." 


Shin Hye burst out laughing as she saw Seohyun and Yonghwa's couple selfie. She quickly messaged back: When did this happen???  The awkwardness of their still adorable selfie reminded her of Jongsuk. It had been a while since the two of them were able to smile this carefreely and her heart ached at the thought. She just wished for this saga to be over so that they could all attempt to live normal lives. She was happy for Seohyun and continued to congratulate them when she realised that Jaesuk's message icon was also lighted up. It was rare for the director to be awake at that time of the night, especially because of his family. Thinking back to her suspicions earlier, she started a chat with him. 

SH: Director Yoo! Why are you awake at this time? 

JS: Oh..hello Shin Hye. I couldn't get to sleep. 

SH: ...I have a question, Director. 

JS: Ask away. 

SH: Where were you yesterday? I heard that you didn't attend the conference. 

JS: I...was busy. 

SH: By chance, were you at the hospital? Seoul University Hospital.

JS: Why? 

SH: Just asking. 

JS: I wasn't. 

Hot tears started to spill out of his eyes as he typed his reply. His conscience pricked him greatly but he had no choice. His reputation and the safety of his family depended on his every word and he was extremely tired of it. He closed his computer without seeing Shin Hye's reply and heaved a deep sigh. His phone started to ring, startling him. "Yoo Jaesuk, I have another job for you. You know what's at stake here." 


Shin Hye bit her lip as she stared at Jaesuk's reply. His hesitant reply suggested that he was hiding something but there was no way she could prove it had anything to do with Jiyoung's death. As she racked her brains for other methods, her father came to mind. It had been a long time since she had talked to him, and the only time she had seen him in 5 years was when he met with Jongsuk. It was scary to think that she knew so little about him, yet he had the ability to be kept up to date about her. If I blow my cover now and recognise my father, would I be able to find out more... ? Her heart sank as she remembered that her father's empire was largely overseas in the UK. If she recognised him, he would likely force her to return to his side. 

It was worth a shot, she decided. With a deep breath, she took out her phone and typed in the phone number she had engraved in her heart since young. "Hello? Appa?" 

A/N: sorry that this update took so long! I'm trying to update every week at least because school is really really tiring and busy >< anyway this is alr chapter 21!! I know this story is not very interesting but im trying my best and it'll get faster pace soon! Pinocchio has ended T_T and im still trying to catch up on the last 2 eps but im thankful for this show creating our beloved darling couple hehe ^^ 

fun fact: 21 is my fav number cos I love 2ne1 (happy bday minzy!!) and cos my bday is on the 21st ^^