Worst Nightmare

The Vengeance of Justice

Sora the pendant that she wore around her neck as she sat outside her mother's room in the corridor. It was the last present that her father had left for her on her 18th birthday. He had died soon after and her life had fell apart since then. Her mother, who used to be cheery and the role model of Sora's life, had broken down completely and had even been suicidal at one point. Her younger brother, Minhyuk, used to be a very hardworking and bright student, and he used to have a dream of becoming a great businessman like their father. All of that stopped when their father was murdered, and while his character wasn't really affected, his dreams were shattered and he started to have an interest in music instead. Which wasn't an entirely bad thing, Sora thought with a smile. She could never express in words the amount of comfort she would get from hearing her brother play on the guitar or softly singing around the house. It reminded her of their father, who used to walk around humming to himself. It's already been 6 years, Sora thought with a sigh. With the date of her father's memorial drawing nearer, her thoughts returned to that traumatic time. 

She had come home from her internship at the tv station to find her house in a state of frenzy. Her mother was seated on the floor in tears while Minhyuk was standing around with a petrified expression on his face. When she had stepped in the door, both her mother and her brother looked at her as if she was their guardian angel come to rescue them. How she wished that she had been able to do that. "Appa has been kidnapped, they called earlier and demanded 50 million won by tomorrow morning." Minhyuk reported with a tremor in his voice. Sora stared at him wordlessly. Even though she was still in shock, she knew that her family needed her and her natural instincts kicked in. "We don't have that money. Did they mention about the police?" Minhyuk nodded. "They said that they would kill Appa if we called the police..." Sora nodded decisively. "Call them. Use your handphone, I'm sure that they're tracking our house phone." Minhyuk gaped at her but it was Ji Young who had the biggest reaction. "Do you want your Appa to die? What are you doing now Sora?" Sora grabbed her mother's flailing arms in an effort to calm her down. "Omma, we don't have 50 million won, neither are we able to get it by tomorrow morning. This is the only way Appa can come out of this alive, we need the help of the police." 

The Kangs sat in their living room, waiting anxiously as the detectives set up the equipment. "You're sure that the kidnappers don't know that you're here right?" Sora asked a detective again. He turned around and smiled kindly at her. "Don't worry, I'll rescue your father." Reassured by his words, she nodded and bowed to him. "I'm begging you, Lee Min Seok Detective." He patted her on the back before resuming his work. The trust that she had placed in Detective Lee made it even more painful when he betrayed them later on. 

Hot tears streamed out of Sora's eyes as she felt the pain of betrayal and loss once again, as clearly as if it had happened yesterday. She remembered her disbelief and shock when she saw her dead father being carried out of the building and when Detective Lee was sentenced to death for the murder of her father. She had no idea how it had all happened and what exactly took place, but she believed what the court told her, which was that the detective that she had trusted had killed her father in a misfire. She suddenly felt a warm presence settle next to her and when she looked at the person with reddened eyes, Seohyun handed Sora a tissue which she took gratefully. "Don't mind me, I just noticed that you looked rather sad. Is there anything wrong?" Sora shook her head. "Nah, I'm just remembering...remembering my father. How is Sunny unnie?" Seohyun sighed at the question. "Her medical condition isn't good and she could go anytime...the nurses told me that she hasn't eaten in days because she'll just puke it all out, I just want her to let go soon, I can't stand to see her suffer." Sora took Seohyun's hand sympathatically. "I understand what you're going through. It sounds like you'll be hanging around here more often from now on, let's be friends. We can understand and support each other." Seohyun grinned at the idea and they shook hands for the first time. 

The sweet moment was interrupted by the incesscant ringing of Sora's phone. She took out and when she saw it was Jongsuk, she hesitated for a moment but finally decided to answer it. "Hello? PD nim?" Jongsuk's voice from the other end was urgent. "Sora, was your father's name Kang Hee Gun by any chance?" Sora's eyebrows lifted at the question but nodded as she answered. "Yes, it was. Why?" There was silence on the other end but Jongsuk's breath was rushed, as if he was in shock and was unable to breathe. "Jongsuk sshi?" Sora asked again in worry. "Why did you suddenly ask about my father?"  "We need to talk, where are you now?" 


Jongsuk stood in shock, lost in thought as Shin Hye attempted to flag down a cab. Finally he made a decision and took out his phone. After sending a quick message he pulled Shin Hye back from the main road. "We don't need a cab anymore. I've invited someone to come with us and see Sora and she can drive us there. She'll come to pick us up soon." Shin Hye looked at him in curiosity but before she could ask him anything, he continued. "What do you think Sora will say when I tell her who I am? Should I even tell her who I am? What if she refuses to talk to me there and then?" Shin Hye pondered for a moment before answering. "That might happen...but to be honest I think it's important to tell the truth from the start. Won't things be worse if you ask her some questions now without telling her who you are and somehow or another she finds out the truth herself? If that happens, you've lost her trust forever." Jongsuk nodded, agreeing with Shin Hye. 

A few minutes, a white car pulled up to where they were and they entered the car. "Noona! Thanks for picking us up!" Jongsuk greeted as he sat in the passenger seat next to Bo Young. Shin Hye greeted her cautiously, feeling very nervous as she was meeting Bo Young for the first time (as her true self). Bo Young smiled at her through the mirror and started the car. Unlike Shin Hye's expectations, the atmosphere in the car wasn't awkward at all. The two siblings talked animatedly and they included her in their conversations comfortably. Finally, when they were about to reach the hospital, Jongsuk started to tell Bo Young about the recent developments. She listened with a serious look on her face and nodded when he was done. "What you've done so far is good, and your decision to include me on this trip was better still. I'm a lawyer, remember?" She wriggled her eyebrows at them and Shin Hye burst out into unexpected laughter. Jongsuk nodded and poked his sister playfully. "I knew you would say that..." 

They walked to the garden of the hospital where Sora had arranged to meet with Jongsuk. It was a quiet and private place, just as Jongsuk had required. He walked up to her and introduced his sister. Sora was unpleasantly surprised to see Shin Hye there as well, but she masked it with a bright smile and greeted them cheerfully. They sat down at the benches nearby and when Sora asked what was going on, Jongsuk took a deep breath before beginning. He sneaked a glance at Shin Hye as well, who gave him a "hwaiting" sign. "Sora...your father...Kang Hee Gun...he was killed in a kidnapping case, wasn't he?" Sora's face fell instantly at his words and looked away uncomfortably. "I don't really want to talk about this part of my family history...if that's all you came to ask, then I'm sorry, I can't help you." "My father was Detective Lee Min Seok." Jongsuk cut to the chase and told her directly. Her eyes flickered to Jongsuk in shock at those words and she seemed frozen as she tried to digest the new information. "But he didn't kill your father. He would never." Jongsuk continued, in a firm tone. "How do you know that?" Sora asked in an injured tone, fresh tears sprouting in her eyes. "Of course, the son would defend his father." 

"Park Ji Sung, does that name ring a bell?" Shin Hye spoke out in Jongsuk's defense. "Detective Lee didn't kill your father, because my father, Park Ji Sung, did." 


As Yoo Jaesuk sat in his office approving proposals, he yawned, as he had a long day of work. Right on cue, his phone started to vibrate and Jaesuk took out his phone. It was a number without a caller ID which instantly made Jaesuk suspicious but he answered it all the same. "Yoboseyo?" 

"Yoo Jaesuk...it's been a long time. Do you remember me?" Jaesuk felt goosebumps all over his body when he heard that chilling, unmistakable voice. "I am your worst nightmare." 

A/N: only about 8 hours to go before the new year of 2015 begins!! Wishing all of your a blessed New Year! :) 2014 has been full of ups and downs but for my journey on aff it has been wonderful! Completing 2 fics in a year is so rewarding and I really thank everyone for your continued support! I may not update as often anymore because the school term is starting in 2 days D: stay with me though! The story has just started to get interesting ;)))