An entirely new life

The Vengeance of Justice

Jongsuk stared at the photo that Woobin had sent him as he remembered their first kiss, the first time they held hands. All of that happiness seemed like a distant and even foreign memory, because of the darkness his life was plunged into immediately after. He clenched his fists as he remembered how devastated he had been to find out that Shin Hye was the daughter of his nemesis, how he had forced himself to seek revenge for his father rather than his own happiness. He realised with a cynical smirk on his face how cold-hearted he had become at having really achieved that. Events really shaped people's characters, it seemed. There was a gentle knock at his door before his sister Bo Young entered. "Jongsuk ah...there's something I want to show you." Clutching the faded letter tightly, Bo Young sat beside her brother as she placed it in his hands. He looked at her questioningly. "What is this, Noona?" Bo Young pushed it further into his hands before exiting the room. "Read it carefully." She said simply. 

Once outside the room, Bo Young sighed as she recalled the glint that had come into her brother's eyes when he was on the phone with Woobin. It still scared her because she had never seen it on her brother's face before, and she had a gut feeling that it was something to do with the unjust deaths of their parents. She thought back to the cold day in France when she found this letter in their mailbox. The letter came a few weeks after their father's arrest, so she assumed that he had either sent it from jail or right before his arrest. The letter was simple but full of concern. It read, "Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion. My dear kids, I'm sorry to be leaving you this way, but don't waste your lives on my misfortune." Bo Young sat on the couch in the living room now, pondering whether she had given Jongsuk the letter too late. He wasn't with her when the letter arrived and then the news of the deaths of their parents had come so suddenly that she hadn't remembered about the letter until it was too late. Now having come back to Korea and seeing her brother's scary face, the letter had come back to memory and she quickly passed it on to her brother. 

Jongsuk held the letter with trembling hands, his eyes filling up with rare tears. He had missed his father so much after his death and reading his heartfelt words felt like a gift from heaven. He clutched it to his chest as he sobbed, not just because he missed his father but because he felt a sudden sense of relief. It was as though his father's words had set him free from the of revenge that he had been harbouring against Park Shin Hye and Park Ji Sung, the main culprit of everything. "Appa...is it really okay to let go of everything? Just like that? Appa...I'm hurting so much also...I'm really tired...I want to have a new life...to live it my way..." 

After hearing nothing from Jongsuk's room, Bo Young wandered in the room slightly worried. The sight that awaited her brought tears to her eyes however, as she saw Jongsuk sleeping on the bed, his hands still holding tightly to the letter. The letter looked very wet and Bo Young could still see traces of tears on Jongsuk's face. She gently lifted the covers and tucked him in properly, before his hair affectionately. "My dongsaeng ah...what suffering did you go through on your own when I wasn't here with you...I'm sorry..." 


Shin Hye couldn't believe her ears. She stared at Sora wide-eyed and open-mouthed until Sora asked awkwardly, "Would you like me to repeat that again, Shin Hye sshi?" Shin Hye nodded enthusiastically. "Basically, I would really like it if you could help me at the TV station for a few months! Or if you're not comfortable, I could always go to the palace to find you. I really need someone of your expertise to help me because I'm in the process of coming up with a palace-related variety show." Shin Hye tapped her chin as she pondered the request. "I'm sorry to ask this so bluntly...but what's in it for me? What will I get out of it?" Sora was prepared for this question and answered confidently. "Think about this way, if my idea works out and I feature you on my show, be it as a narrator or through some interviews, your fame as someone with palace expertise will increase! In this way, your career path can be expanded, maybe to even go further as a researcher or to be invited by other variety shows as an expert! No matter how I think about it, it's definitely going to be a career boost for you. I mean, you wouldn't want to be stuck here your entire life right?" Shin Hye was utterly convinced by this argument and she nodded once again. "Alright, I'll do it. Thank you for this opportunity, Kang Sora sshi." They shook hands and Sora smiled at her before reminding, "Remember! Work starts straight away, so I'll see you at the TV Station tomorrow?" Park Shin Hye nodded before smiling back. She could feel it in her bones, the excitement tingling throughout her whole body, she felt sure that this was the start to an entirely new life. Little by little, she knew that she could make it to the top. 

 

*A/N: Thank you sooo much to everyone who has already subscribed/commented/upvoted! I was really surprised to see this story receiving so much interest and love already in the first few chapters and I'm really encouraged by this <3 to be honest I was very nervous about this fic because this is the first time I've tried to write something mildy suspenseful and serious so please do forgive me if i have a lot of plot holes or anything >< I'm not a very experienced writer I'm afraid hahaha in the meantime, continue watching pinocchio! it's a really great drama hehehe and also pls do continue leaving me your comments <3 I read every single one of them and I receive a lot of strength from them hehehe also please give me constructive criticism I'll work harder to improve! 

Today's chapt was mostly centered around Jongsuk's hopeful release from his revenge, but the question still remains, what caused him to be this angry in the first place? More importantly, will this release last? hehehe i hope that you'll continue to be excited for where this story goes! :)