Epilogue

The Druid and the Wolf

*12 years later*

“Ha! Bet you can’t catch me!” 11 year old Cho Kyung Hee giggles as she runs around the study.

Cho Min Jae sighs, standing in the doorway, watching his twin be chased around by Kim Chun Yi as the two girls giggle in joy. They were only a few months apart in age from Chun Yi, but Min Jae feels like he’s much older than the girls.

“Yah, Uncle Tae said to keep it down.” Min Jae whisper yells at the girls when Kyung Hee gives a particularly loud squeal as she’s tackled by Chun Yi.

“Just because his mate is giving birth doesn’t mean we can’t have some fun.” Chun Yi shoots back at him, her dark brown eyes defiant.

Min Jae feels an odd bubble of annoyance come out of nowhere, and before he realizes what he’s done, he’s standing over the two girls, snarling as he trembles in rage. “Oh my god.” He forces himself to back away from the two girls, crossing his arms as he continues to feel the unnatural rage flowing through his body.

“What in the world is going….Kyung Hee, Chun Yi, are you ok?” Kyuhyun walks into the study, wondering why he is feeling red hot rage in the Pack bonds, and seeing his son backing away from the girls.

“Yeah. Min Jae is acting weird, papa.” Kyung Hee says as Kyuhyun reaches them. “He told us to keep it down, and then started snarling when Chun Yi talked back to him.” Her face is filled with worry instead of fear.

Kyuhyun looks down at the daughter of Ryeowook and Jongwoon. Chun Yi is staring at Min Jae with a look of fear and Kyuhyun has to tug at Jongwoon through the Pack bonds. ‘My son scared your daughter. I’m sorry hyung. She hasn’t started crying yet, but I’ve a feeling she might.’

‘Alright. I’ll be there in a moment.’ Jongwoon replies to him.

Min Jae is still backing away from the girls, his preteen face contorted with self-loathing, fear and traces of the rage he’d felt which is now starting to fade. “Dad, what’s wrong with me?” He asks, fear lacing his voice.

Kyuhyun looks at his son, knowing the time to explain the oddness his son has always felt has come. From the moment they found out Jessa was expecting, to the birth, and now when Min Jae is about ready to hit puberty, they’d known something was different about him. While Kyung Hee had Kyuhyun’s melodious voice and his lanky form, Min Jae was inexplicitly all Jessa. His eyes were a light hazel, and his hair was much lighter than Kyung Hee’s hair.

Kyuhyun remembered when Jessa had gone into labor with the twins, fretting and worry settling over the Pack when she’d had trouble with the births, having to shift from her wolf form after Kyung Hee’s birth in order for Min Jae to be born. They’d been lucky that Sungmin and one other Delta healer had been on hand for the twins’ birth.

Kyuhyun sees the fear on his son’s face, swallows hard and reaches out to him, trying to keep his hand steady. “I don’t know son, but your mother and I need to talk to you about something.” He said, “In private.” He added when he noticed Kyung Hee detaching herself from Chun Yi. His daughter, despite inheriting his looks and voice, had also inherited the need to be involved with everything that happened around her.

Kyuhyun had a bet going against Siwon that Kyung Hee would end up presenting as an Alpha at her coming of age day, with Siwon saying she’d present as a Delta since most Delta’s exhibit the same personality that Kyung Hee did.

Kyuhyun sighs softly as Min Jae hesitates, then hurls himself into Kyuhyun’s arms, the warmth and contact of their innate parental bond calming the preteen down, the fear and tendrils of anger dissipating from the Pack bonds.

Kyuhyun feels Jessa’s worry through their mate bond, and Leeteuk’s curiosity through the Pack bonds while he hugs his son, looking over at his daughter who is now trying to distract Chun Yi from crying. Chun Yi was the splitting image of Ryeowook, her looks, her personality, and Kyuhyun thinks she’ll end up becoming the Mother Omega of her future Pack with how easily she frightens.

“Uncle Jongwoon is coming to get Chun Yi.” Kyuhyun tells his daughter. “Your mother and I will let you know when you can come back to the rooms.” He knows she’ll stay with Chun Yi until Jongwoon comes, and then she’ll probably find a book to read, or she’ll go annoy Jimin, who’s pulling double duty in the kitchens while Ryeowook is helping Donghae and Jin with the birth of the next baby in the Pack.

Kyuhyun doesn’t even hesitate to swoop his son up into his arms, reassuring Leeteuk through the Pack bonds that he has everything under control, and then asking Jessa to meet him in their section of the Pack house to have the talk with their son.

**

Why me?’ Min Jae thinks later that evening. He still didn’t quite understand what his parents had told him earlier in the day that they thought he had inherited his mother’s druidic side and was why he was not like the rest of the Pack.

The odd feeling of being the outcast hits him again, and he gasps in shock as the feeling grows darker, even though he tries to stop it, tries to think happy thoughts that will make the dark feelings go away.

He hasn’t told his parents, but ever since their 11th birthday, Min Jae has had a hard time controlling the darker aspects of his emotions like anger, jealousy, and rage. He’s known since he was little that he didn’t have a wolf form like his twin did, or the rest of the Pack.

The next few days are tense around the Pack house, with Taehyung’s mate being overly protective of the pup that had just been born, Ryeowook and Jimin both brooding because Ryeowook’s next heat cycle is drawing near, which means Jimin’s heat cycle is getting closer, and the younger Omega still hasn’t found a mate.

Hoseok is the only other member of the Pack who hasn’t mated either, though it’s obvious by his actions that he’s desperately in love with Jimin, and is content to wait until the tiny Omega acknowledges his courting requests.

The twins are nearing their 12th birthday when Min Jae wakes up in a cold sweat, feeling warmth along his hands and his gums aching horribly as he takes deep breathes, trying to calm his racing heart. The last thing he wants is either Kyung Hee or his mother coming into his room.

The ache in his gums goes away after a few minutes, but the warmth at his fingers doesn’t. He lifts up his hands out from under the covers and gasps as the sharp, metallic scent of blood meets his sensitive nose. He may still only be a half-shifter, but he does have the sensitivity to his senses that full shifters do.

Min Jae fumbles out from under the covers, stumbling over to turn on the desk lamp across from his bed and his eyes widen in shock as he sees that his fingernails seem to have grown significantly in a short period of time.

Shakily, he finds a stray dirty towel that he’d left on the floor, wipes off his fingertips, hissing as the fabric of the towel irritates the sensitive skin. Even with his above average healing thanks to his half-shifter nature, it still takes several minutes before his fingers stop being tender.

The cycle of waking up to aching gums and overly sensitive fingertips continues for several nights until the evening before the twin’s 12th birthday when the cycle abruptly changes and Min Jae wakes up, gasping for breath as he recalls the sudden maddening blood lust that he swears is more real than his feelings in the dreams.

The dreams that continue to get more and more bloody as time goes on, and one night, Ryeowook catches Min Jae sleep walking into the kitchen at some unknown time at night, his face bloody from the raw meat he’d somehow gotten down out of their walk in cooler.

No one, not even Donghae or the other Delta’s he’s asked can figure out what’s going on with Kyuhyun’s son and they resort to keeping some fresh kill for the young hybrid in the cooler, and Ryeowook makes sure to wake up earlier than before to clean up the mess that Min Jae will inevitably make, and not know he’s done it.

They’d tried asking him if he knows he’s sleep walking, to which Min Jae shakes his head.

The preteen doesn’t remember sleep walking, and he doesn’t know he’s taking fresh kills and the meat for the blood inside of it, only that the blood lust in his dreams is starting to stabilize.

**

Leeteuk comes back from an all Pack Alpha meeting with BoA and some of the northern Packs, and finds his Pack house in chaos. “What’s going on?” He asks, amusement and worry in his voice as even Taehyung’s tiny mate is running around with the latest pup addition to the Pack, chasing after Chun Yi.

In the distance of the huge house, he can hear someone crying though he can’t distinguish who it is with the tumult of emotions that are radiating through the Pack bonds. Finally he snags Jongwoon, who’s on his cell phone to a neighboring Pack. “Jongwoon, what’s going on?”

The Beta skids to a half in front of Leeteuk, bows and covers the phone with one hand. “Min Jae went missing last night while he was sleep walking.” He says.

The Alpha raises his eyebrows as Jongwoon continues his conversation with the neighboring Pack, sighs and continues to his office where he sits for a moment. He’s sure he can feel the pup in the Pack bonds, but something seems to be blocking the location from him, and Leeteuk realizes that the problems with Min Jae are much more serious than his non-physical wolf side acting up in place of being able to shift.

A knock on the Pack door reveals a local rogue wolf that Leeteuk had a good relationship with, Kim Kibum, holding the unconscious form of Min Jae in his hands covered in blood, though Leeteuk can’t see a physical wound on the pup. “I found him like this about 3 miles from the house.

“Thank you Kibum.” Leeteuk says, relief flooding the Pack bonds as he calls for Donghae or Jin.

The lone wolf recited everything he knew from the moment he’d smelt blood and a young half wolf, to finding Mine Jae’s unconscious form amongst a couple of dead rabbit carcasses. “They were completely drained of blood, Alpha Leeteuk.” Kibum says, eyebrows furrowed.

They were alone in Leeteuk’s office, and the Alpha waits patiently for Kibum to finish. “It’s….it like when a vampire drains their victims of blood.” Kibum finishes in a near whisper.

The wolf was a loner for a specific reason. His parental Pack had been attacked by a vicious and blood thirsty vampire back before the wards had been put in place when Kibum was a small pup. By the time BoA and other enforcers had gotten to the Pack grounds, Kibum had been walking through the house, littered with corpses, calling out for his parents, who’d been slaughtered not far from the front door of their Pack house. BoA had raised him in her Pack until he’d come of age, and he’d split from them as soon as he’d figured out he was a Beta.

BoA used him as a spy whenever she needed someone to infiltrate a Pack without smelling of her Pack.

Leeteuk sits back, taking the information in. The behavior the pup is showing isn’t heard of in other hybrids, and they’d only attributed his sleepwalking habits to the possibility that Min Jae had inherited Jessa’s druidic powers. “You have more experience with vampires taking wolf pups and turning them. Min Jae has been sleep walking for nearly 2 weeks now and from what my Omegas tell me, he’s also been in the kitchens when he sleep walks, eating fresh kills for their blood and not having any recollection that he’d done so.”

Kibum sits up straighter. “Has he complained about his fingers or gums aching?” He asks, “Or having an unusual thirst for raw or blood from meat?”

Leeteuk asks Jessa through the Pack bonds about Min Jae and shakes his head as Jessa responds to him. “His mother says he’s not said a word to them.”

Kibum frowns. “How old is the boy again?”

“Nearly 12 years old.” Leeteuk answers.

“I assume the mother had a normal pregnancy with him.” Kibum asks.

Leeteuk frowns. He remembers Jessa’s pregnancy had progressed well until the 6th month. “It did until she was 6 months along, and she had almost lost one of the twins.” He says slowly.

“Had she come in contact with any vampires or half vampire half wolf spawn before she became pregnant?” Kibum asks, knowing that Leeteuk isn’t offended by him asking question after question.

He’s not an expert on vampires by no means, but he’s had most contact with wolf Packs who’ve come into contact with vampires and other individuals who’d become hybrid wolf vampires who were highly sought after in the covens in Russia.

Leeteuk thinks for a moment, and then suddenly he remembers that she’d gotten bitten by the vampire prince that BoA had exiled back to Russia. “.” Leeteuk groans, dropping his head into his hands, calling for Jessa and Kyuhyun to come to his office.

**

Jessa does not take the news well, already having issues with the fact her son has been keeping things from her, and Kyuhyun has to hold her up as Kibum and Leeteuk explain what they’ve brain stormed about Min Jae.

Kibum pats them both on the shoulders, expressing his concerns since it looks to him that Min Jae’s vampire side is becoming more dominate the closer he gets to puberty. “I can help place him in a Pack that has experience with wolf vampire hybrids.” Kibum tells them. “as I’m afraid he won’t be able to control his vampire side much longer if he’s this far gone.”

Jessa looks at Kyuhyun, her heart breaking as she sees the same worry for their son reflected in Kyuhyun’s eyes. They can’t forsake the safety of the Pack however, just for their son. “If you can get him help, please do so.” Jessa whispers as she partially shuts down her link to the Pack.

The days leading up to the twin’s birthday, Min Jae is told that he’s being placed in a foster Parental Pack that has experience with what he is experiencing.

They don’t expect the visitor to their door the night before Min Jae is supposed to leave, the stench of vampire strong outside the porch that keeps intruders from coming into their Pack house. “Who are you, and why are you here?” Leeteuk snarls at the vampire, who’s standing stoically outside the door.

“I am coming on behalf of the Vampire Prince of China, Luhan.” The vampire says, his words clipped as if he’s used to speaking formally all the time. “He requests the presence of his son at his Uncle’s engagement ball.”

The wolves behind Leeteuk all turn as they feel Jessa faint through the Pack bonds, and all hell breaks loose, with Kyuhyun snarling at the messenger and Leeteuk shouting at Siwon and Jongwoon to hold the younger Beta back only to find Min Jae has somehow slipped out of his room with a bag packed, and is standing outside with the vampire messenger.

“I promise no harm will come to the Prince while he is in China.” The messenger intones. “However, I cannot guarantee that he will want to come back once the ball is over.”

“Min Jae, come back.” Kyuhyun’s limp in Siwon’s arms, tears streaming down his face.

The pup looks at Kyuhyun, a placid look on his face. “Min Jae is not in control.” The voice that comes out of Min Jae is deeper, worldlier sounding, his eyes turning a dark blood red. “I am his vampire half, and I have decided it is time to return to my true father.”

Kyuhyun lets out an unmanly sob at the declaration, refusing to believe that the pup is not his flesh and blood. “No, come back. That’s an order from your father.” He tries to command, his voice hoarse.

“I am sorry, Cho Kyuhyun. You have been a very good stepfather to Min Jae and I am sure he will contact you once we have had proper training and are in full control of our blood lust and powers.” Min Jae’s vampire responds, eyes softening. “Please tell my mother and my sister that I love them both, and I never meant to hurt any of you.”

Min Jae takes the hand of the messenger, turns and the pair disappear from the Packs’ sight. 


A/N: It's finally here! The end!!

This story came out of a hair brained idea that formed right before I joined National Novel Writing Month aka NaNoWriMo  last year for the first time. While I didn't make the 50k word count by the end of November, I pressed on and finished in mid October, with a final word count of 64,629. That's A LOT of writing.

And I'm crazy enough to try again this year though I'm actually off to a better start than last year (I didn't start last year until midway through November) even though I didn't write a single thing yesterday.

As for this AU. I'm sad that the story is finished, but happy that it is!

There are currently no plans to write anything more in this AU, unless someone requests something specific.

Please let me know your thoughts!