The first altercation (pt 1)

The Druid and the Wolf

Jessa wakes from a deep slumber, suddenly hyper aware that she’s not in her hotel room, nor is she at home. The bed is too soft, but not uncomfortably so, and slight chill in the room indicates that the house doesn’t have any heat on at the moment, or that the temp is set low enough to be comfortable.

“Good morning sunshine!” A boisterous male voice calls out as footsteps sound in the hallway outside the door. “Breakfast will be soon, so if you want some, better get it now before the rest of us wolves eat it all!”

The events of last night come flooding back into her waking mind. How she’d been chased by Black Hunters, being discovered in werewolf territory and escorted back to their Pack house, talking with their Alpha and being served some of the best hot chocolate she’s ever had in her life.

Stifling a yawn, she crawls out from the warm cocoon she’s made of the blankets on the bed, and realizes that she only has the clothes she’d worn last night to change back into. If Leeteuk will permit it, she wants to go check out of her hotel room in Seoul with her things. She’ll need to contact the Clan back home to inform them of the loss of a potential druid apprentice and explain that she’s being actively hunted.

Deciding the small t-shirt and pants she’s wearing for sleep wear will be ok for her to eat breakfast in, she opens the door and yelps as two faces stare at her in surprise from the hallway.

“Who are you?” One of the faces asks, his orange hair falling into his eyes as he his lips, obviously checking her body out.

Jessa grips the door, wondering if the two faces in front of her are the pups that Leeteuk had mentioned last night. Before she has a chance to respond, the other face leans in and takes an audible sniff of her scent, his dark red, nearly purplish looking hair contrasting with the rest of his face. “She’s the druid that Hoseok hyung was trying to tell us about this morning.” He announces to his pack mate.

The orange haired one smiles suddenly, making him look much younger than he probably is. He’s about to open his mouth when suddenly they are both slapped on the back of their heads. “Get your butts back to your room and make your beds.” Ryeowook growls.

Jessa blinks as the two pups both whine, pain on their faces as they slink off towards the end of the hall, both calling back in unison, “Sorry Ryeowook omma!”

Ryeowook sighs, his arms crossed. “I’m sorry you had to see that.” He apologizes to Jessa, noticing she’s still in the borrowed bed clothes. “Come on down to the kitchen dear, and I’ll get you some breakfast before the others get there.” He says kindly.

Deciding that not speaking of the discipline she’s just witnessed, Jessa nods and closes the door to her temporary room as she follows Ryeowook down past the study and into a large kitchen with 2 islands in the middle. One is full of utensils and other cooking items, the other has food on it and plates are on the counter. The scent of food wafting in the air makes her stomach grumble in protest.

Ryeowook walks over to the counter, grabbing a plate and shooing Jessa off towards the long table in the attached open area dining room. “Go sit. You are our guest. Is there any particular food you don’t like or are allergic to?”

“No, I’m not a picky eater and no food allergies.” Jessa replies, watching Ryeowook bustle around the kitchen, obviously at home in the large warm space. Her stomach growls again as the petite wolf brings over a plateful of food in one hand and a glass of orange juice in the other.

Jessa bows her head and says a prayer thanking the earth for giving such a wonderful bounty for the Pack to share and gives a blessing for the day silently. Normally she’s prone to speaking her prayers and blessings out loud, it’s the custom at the Clan hall, but she knows that sometimes it freaks others out to hear her speaking in ancient Irish. “Thank you Ryeowook for the meal.” She adds out loud, raising her head and opening her eyes to find that Ryeowook is just sitting in the chair next to her, a smile on his face.

“You are very welcome.” Ryeowook says, causing Jessa to blush suddenly. She’s not sure how to take the attention as she takes a sip of the juice, almost in bliss at the taste. It’s obviously been home squeezed, and as she’s just about to ask Ryeowook about the two pups in the hallway from earlier, some of the other Pack members come into the kitchen.

Kyuhyun yawns and blearily blinks as he’s being pushed by Siwon down the stairs. He had spent the night tossing and turning before finally falling into a light slumber around 5am. Siwon barged into his room at 7am, forcing the younger beta to get up.

“I don’t want breakfast.” Kyuhyun pouts and Siwon has to stifle a laugh at how well Kyuhyun pulls off the aegyo, the young beta being influenced by the underaged pups even if he won’t admit it.

“Nope, Leeteuk hyung informed me this morning already that you need to help Taehyung and Jungkook Jessa into town to gather her things from the hotel she was staying at.” Siwon chides.

“Why do I have to go?” Kyuhyun whines as he slowly drags his body down the stairs, absently scratching his belly under his shirt.

“Because you need to do your duty as a Pack beta.” Siwon chides, flicking Kyuhyun in the back of the head, chuckling when the younger lets out a yelp at the sudden pain.

Kyuhyun’s about to retort back something vulgar, but he’s hit with the sudden scent of their guest in the kitchen along with Ryeowook, Hoseok and Jongwoon. Suddenly he’s alert and paying attention to his surroundings, his wolf stirring from his slumber at the influx of her scent. Kyuhyun’s not sure how he likes his wolf taking notice of the scent changes.

The others ignore Jessa sitting at the table, the smell of food causing them to crowd around the island in the kitchen. Ryeowook sighs, standing up from his seat to smack Siwon on the arm. “Manners!” He says loudly, trying hard not to sound high pitched and feminine.

“Awe hyung!” Hoseok pleads, hands already more than halfway towards the stack of waffles.

“No, Hoseok, you are last.” Ryeowook growls at the younger, waving a pot spoon around for effect.

Kyuhyun stands in the doorway of the kitchen, trying hard not to stare at the woman sitting at the table. Suddenly a hand clamps down on his shoulder, pushing him into the kitchen. “Yah, since when did you make a good doorway Kyu?” Kangin asks jokingly as he pushes the other beta towards the line that Ryeowook is forcing to form for breakfast.

Breakfast goes by in a blur. Before he knows it, Kyuhyun’s standing out on the front porch of the Pack house, the keys to the Jeep in his hand as he waits for Taehyung and Jungkook to finish bickering over who gets the seat behind Jessa on the ride in.

“Boys! Stop bickering and get in the car!” Kyuhyun hollers at them, his irritation shooting up to near dangerous levels.

“Fine.” Jungkook huffs, slapping Taehyung upside the head and moving to the driver’s side. “I get the other seat on the ride back.” He growls at his brother.

Taehyung sticks his tongue out at Jungkook, which earns him a glare from Kyuhyun.

The ride into Seoul is quiet. Jessa’s been on her cell phone most of the trip in, speaking in a language that none of them have ever heard. Taehyung is giving Jungkook a glare, probably from the slap earlier to his head, and Kyuhyun has to stifle a sigh.

The Jeep’s GPS has the address of the hotel Jessa had been staying in programed, so all Kyuhyun does is follow the directions as she talks rapidly in the passenger seat.

By the time she’s done with her phone call, a grimace on her face, Kyuhyun’s pulling up to the hotel entrance. By the looks of it, she’s not in a shabby place, and he suddenly hopes that she didn’t pay for the room herself.

Why am I becoming concerned about her?’ Kyuhyun thinks as they all step out of the Jeep.

Jessa clears . “I don’t need any help getting my things, if that is what you are intending.” She states.

Kyuhyun frowns, an acrid smell permeating his nose. It’s familiar to him for some reason and he focuses on the smell when he hears Taehyung open his mouth. “Leeteuk-hyung said we are supposed to be your bodyguards and that we aren’t allowed to leave you unprotected while we’re not on Pack grounds.” Taehyung informs her. The two pups had apologized for their behaviors earlier that morning when Leeteuk had introduced them.

Jessa sighs. “Alright then. Who’s staying with the vehicle?”

Kyuhyun nods. “I’ll stay here.” He tells them, the acrid smell still bothering him.

Making promises to be done as quickly as they can, Jessa and the pups walked inside the hotel, none of them aware of the dangers that Kyuhyun’s about to face outside while they are safe in the hotel room. Taehyung and Jungkook are still not speaking to each other after the incident at the pack house and Jessa doesn’t feel like any small talk with either one when they are being grouchy so she settles on enjoying the quiet while she can.

Kyuhyun prowls around the entrance to the hotel, His cell phone is to one ear, the other alert for any footsteps that may sound behind him. He doesn’t want to be caught unaware by an enemy while he’s off Pack lands.

“Kyuhyun?” Leeteuk’s voice flows through the earpiece of the phone, calming the other wolf down a little.

“We arrived at the hotel, but I keep smelling something acrid that I know I should be able to place, but I can’t.” Kyuhyun informs him, opting to keep things short and simple.

“Is it going into the hotel or away from it like the sidewalk?” Leeteuk asked.

Kyuhyun sniffed around the entrance to the hotel and then walked a little ways to the sidewalk in front of it. “The sidewalk.” He told Leeteuk, frowning. “It gets much stronger towards the east.” He added. ‘The direction of the forest.’  The thought comes unbidden into his conscious, a sure sign his wolf is still active even after the hunt.

Kyuhyun’s not the best hunter of the betas in the pack, since hunting was also a Pack duty. He tends to get confused by smells easier than either Kangin, Jongwoon or Siwon, the latter being the best hunter in the pack besides Leeteuk, something that Leeteuk has known since they were pups in their parent packs. “Keep an eye out, I doubt they weren’t more than passing by the location before you arrived.” Leeteuk tells him, tone serious. “Keep your Pack bonds open as well in case you need us and can’t call.”

“Ok.” Kyuhyun closes his eyes and concentrates on the bundle of emotions in the back of his conscious, opening it a bit more so he can feel that Ryeowook’s apparently pissed off again at Siwon for stealing a taste of some treat he thinks the druid will like. “Done.”

“Ok.” Leeteuk clears his throat. “Call me when you guys are heading back. OH before I forget, Ryeowook asked you to stop at the store for a few items. I’ll text you the list.” He adds.

Kyuhyun internally groans. He hates shopping for their cranky omega, especially when the smaller man is in a mood to pamper and treat those he likes. “Ok. But he better not complain when I get a wrong brand or size.” He replies.

“No worries, I think this is all stuff that is basic.” Leeteuk tells him.

They hang up, and Kyuhyun barely has time to register that the acrid scent has quadrupled in intensity when he’s tackled to the ground by a tan blonde human.


A/N: I was gonna wait till tomorrow to upload a chapter, but I just couldn't!! So happy holidays early! The hubby and I aren't planning on spending Christmas with our families because he's got to work on Friday and his family lives 6 hours away in Minnesota, so we're going to see the Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 1 and probably play video games all day on Christmas. But I hope you all have a great holiday :D Let me know what you think!

Special thanks to Ailuver24 for subscribing! :D