New Life

The Druid and the Wolf

“I’m scared.” Jessa tells Kyuhyun the next morning as they stand outside the office where Dr. Lee Sungmin has his practice. “What if it was a false reading?”

Kyuhyun, looking at his mate, shakes his head. “No, the others have said they’ve felt something strange in the Pack bonds lately, like something extra is there. The least we can do is go in and he says no.”

The inside of the office is soft and carries a comforting aura around it that screams magic at Jessa. She’s been repressing her druidic side in order to gain control of her wolf, who mentally shakes in what she can only assume is anticipation, as if she knows what Jessa’s body is trying to say.

The receptionist, Shin Donghee smiles up at them, giving them paperwork to fill out and Jessa feels embarrassed that she has to count back to the last time she’d had a cycle.

They’re called into the examination room soon after they hand over the paperwork, and a tiny, but charismatic Omega walks into the room. “I’m Lee Sungmin.” He says, smiling at them. “Donghae is an old friend of mine from school.” He says. “He told me you might be expecting?”

Jessa looks at Kyuhyun, surprised that an Omega is a doctor. “Ye…yeah, he said some of my hormone levels are elevated?” Jessa returns.

Sungmin makes a note on his chart and smiles at her. “I know you both are wondering why an Omega like me is a doctor. You’ll find it surprising that those of us shifters who live in the city proper do not follow all the same rules as the rural packs do. My mother is a Gamma, and my father a Beta, but both are office workers instead of being a teacher and a protector.” He explains. “City life dictates we adapt to our environment and living like you do out in nature isn’t really an option for us who were born in the city, so we take on roles that seem unconventional for our statuses.”

A knock on the door, and Donghee walks in with a tray and supplies to draw blood. “We’re going to take some blood and run tests too, much like Donghae did, but we have a Delta who is trained and licensed specifically do laboratory testing.” Sungmin explains, writing something on each tube before asking Jessa to relax and taking her left arm to find where her vein is. After marking something on her arm, he straps on a tourniquet, swabs the area and before she can even feel the sting of the needle in her vein, the tubes are all filled and he’s instructing her to hold the cotton ball on the puncture site before bandaging it while Donghee takes the tray out.

They don’t have to wait long, and a petite female comes in, handing off a square bit of paper to Sungmin before leaving the room, and the Omega doctor looks at the mated pair, a smile on his face after he’s read the paper. “Donghae’s testing was accurate. You are pregnant.” He tells them.

Jessa’s not sure if she’s feeling relief that they have a reason why she’d fainted, or it’s her wolf that settles down upon hearing the news, though she’s a little miffed that her wolf didn’t tell her that they were expecting pups.

Kyuhyun squeezes her hand, bringing her back to the present, where Sungmin is explaining that he wants to do an ultrasound to see how far along in her pregnancy she is. Shifters pregnancies are a bit shorter than normal human pregnancies, lasting 6 months instead of 9, and Sungmin explains that they’ll be able to tell how far along she is by how big the pup or pups are.

The coldness of the gel on her lower stomach makes the moment more surreal to Jessa, as Sungmin places the ultrasound wand down and fiddles with a machine next to the examination table. The Omega doctor smiles after moving the wand a little bit down and to the left, presses a button on the machine, and a fast heartbeat fills the room. “Say hello to baby number 1.” He says, looking at them. With his free hand, he turns the monitor towards Jessa and Kyuhyun. “Congratulations, you are expecting twin pups.” He says.