Chapter 23

2 Different Worlds.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I am never going out with you again.”

Yuri sat in the passenger’s seat with her arms crossed over her chest, a frown showing on her face. She had been tricked into coming for lunch with her father by her own girlfriend; as if the last meeting with him hadn’t ended bad enough, here Yoona was trying to piss her off by setting up lunch without her knowing. She took another deep breath and tried to stop herself from cursing aloud; Yoona had good intentions in doing this after all – being appreciative was better.

“Come on, baby,” Yoona cooed softly, her eyes still plastered on the road in front of them as she tried to ignore the soft growls from her girlfriend, “if I can have dinner with him in peace, I’m sure you can too.”

Silence.

Silence was her answer.

It’s fine though; Yoona was not going to push Yuri to answer her for now since she had every right to get pissed off – if Yoona didn’t lie that they were going out on a date, Yuri wouldn’t be here. It wasn’t the right way to do it but Yoona didn’t have much of a choice when her girlfriend was as stubborn as a mule. Yoona smiled at the thought of it; stubbornness ran in the family it seemed, because Mr Kwon seemed just as reluctant to speak to his daughter face to face.

You don’t need to be a genius to know if they’re blood-related.

“Yul, you can get angry at me all you like, but don’t vent it on Uncle later; all he wants is to have a good meal with you. I had the wrong approach to this but I hope you see past this and focus on the bigger picture – not defending myself or him, but it’s for us.”

Yoona glanced over at her pouting girlfriend and she bit her lower lip; Yuri was practically throwing a tantrum beside her in the cutest manner possible. She had been through a couple of such petty fits like this, and appeasing Yuri was the easiest thing if she might say so herself – all Yuri needed was a little bit of seduction and a few neck kisses was enough to make her forget about everything that had happened. It probably wasn’t going to work this time.

Yuri might have been pissed off, but she was not an illogical person – her girlfriend was right indeed. Yoona was not branded one of the smartest women for nothing; she had thought everything through and made sure there were no loopholes in her explanation. She always found it difficult to stay angry or unhappy with Yoona – how could anyone, when her girlfriend was this adorable and selfless?

A smile appeared on Yoona's face when she felt a hand slip into hers, “you’re done being a baby already? I expected you to take a lot longer than this.” 

“Geez. As if I can resist when you’re here.”

“Stop being cute.”

“No.”

 

*

 

Was it reasonable to be this nervous when meeting your own daughter?

Mr Kwon didn’t know what was making him tremble this much, because he was only meeting his daughter – his daughter that made him proud even though he never said it aloud. He knew how attached Yuri was to her mother and for that, he would never forgive himself. Yuri might not have asked him about anything regarding his wife but he knew she had a good idea of it – Mrs Kwon left because she couldn’t stand how much she was neglected.

“Damn it.”

It took him a while to learn what the meaning of neglect meant, but he realised and he eventually started to pay attention to Yuri more – bringing her into the company was the first step. All he wanted was to be a good father and guide Yuri into being a good person with good values; today's meeting was going to be the deciding factor of how he was as a father. 

 

“Kwon Yuri! Stop being a wimp!”  

“You still love me.”

“Yah!”

 

The disguised, bickering couple continued to have some banters from the entrance all the way to the table, unaware of the unnecessary attention they were getting from other customers. The idol was well disguised with a wig and sunglasses but the bodyguard… she looked the same as she did every other ordinary day – wearing a baseball cap and an oversized jacket was not going to do much to disguise herself. 

Yoona took off her sunglasses and flashed an apologetic smile at Mr Kwon, “sorry, we’re a bit late; someone wouldn’t get her out of the car.”

“It’s okay, Yoong.”

Yuri huffed and plopped her onto the seat beside Yoona, not sparing her father a glance. She was still pissed off about this entire thing, hoping Yoona would at least appreciate the fact that she came. Yoona sat awkwardly between father and daughter, feeling exactly like piggy-in-the-middle. She didn't expect this, but she was going to have to do something.

“Yul!” Yoona nudged her girlfriend in the ribs, frowning when she didn’t get Yuri’s full attention, “you behave or you’ll spend the night out of our apartment!”

Heaving a defeated sigh, Yuri looked up and forced a smile onto her face; she would rather swallow her pride than get chased out of the room. She let her eyes meet with her father’s before looking away almost immediately – he was still looking at her with a steely gaze. She was his daughter and if he was fixated on something; it was not likely to change any moment near in the future or a decade down the road.

“Kwon Yuri.”

“Wha—Ow!”

Yuri whipped her head around to meet Yoona’s eyes; grabbing her slightly bruised arm after being pinched more than twice. She knew she was being rude but Yoona could ease up on the violence – it was starting to hurt!

“Look, I know we’ve argued about this before but I didn’t mean to blurt it out that way,” Mr Kwon said softly, lowering his pride in front of his daughter or he was going to lose her. “I was just shocked at your sudden confession… you never brought back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter