Groupmates

Soshi One Shots

This is quite cliche with the characters' role in a school setting. I have ideas for different stories though I'm quite stuck with finishing those. Hope this could suffice with your SeoRi feels while I work on those. We long for something quite corny every now and then.

Summary: Seohyun is an honor student who prefers to work alone though she finds herself to be randomly grouped with Yuri, Sooyoung and Yoona. Yuri is a varsity player who is busy but Seohyun is surprised that its's actually Yuri who cooperates in the group.

For some reason, I thought of writing this fic when I saw this Yuri pic below: 

It's the final requirement for Seohyun's feasibility study. She's running for honors and she's used to studying with herself. She's used to working alone but she's surprised the professor randomized the groupings.

Seohyun found herself grouped with Sooyoung, Yoona and Yuri. Seohyun thought Yuri would be too busy with varsity. At least she has Soo and Yoona.

"Okay, guys, please write your numbers and Facebook names." Seohyun hands a piece of paper to her new group mates.


The night itself, Seohyun messages her groupmates to work on the Introduction of their study. It's 8pm and no one has replied to her yet.

She waits a few minutes and she's surprised that Yuri was the first one who replied.

"Hi, guys, I just came from training. I'll start now."

"Hi, Yuri. Maybe we can start on the question that our feasibility should answer." 

"Alright, I'll think about it. Should I make a Google Doc for our work?"

Seohyun works on the other parts as she messages the group chat, "Soo and Yoong, when you guys are online just add on the bullets of the framework."

Seohyun checks the GDoc that Yuri has worked so far. She finds Yuri really nice that she's a cooperative groupmate though she's a bit annoyed at how much editing and tweaking she should do with Yuri's ideas.

Seohyun messages Yuri privately.

"Yuri, thanks for helping me :)"

"Sure :)"

"Though, could you please expand more on Part 3?"

"Oh... really? Sorry :(( I'll start working on it :))"

"We're the only ones working on this. Should we give the other two a failing grade in the group evaluation?"

"Well I think we have to be honest :(( But we should not fail them. They're failing the exams already!"

Seohyun realizes that Yuri is so nice and considerate. How can she still give a passing grade to freeloaders. 

They work on an all-nighter as they edit the paper and chat with each other about their ideas.

The next day, in person, Yuri is hesitant to greet Seohyun whether they became close already after their all night chat. 

When their eyes met, Yuri smiles at Seohyun and Seohyun returned a subtle smile. 

"Hey..." Yuri approaches Seohyun on her desk browsing some sheets of paper.

"Oh..." Seohyun shifts her expression from serious to inviting, a little bit excited from the usual. "Thanks for helping last night, Yuri."

"Ah... I should be the one to thank you. I'm really sorry, you edited quite a lot."

"No, your ideas are actually out of the box. I just had to revise them a little."

 

Weeks go by as they move on to the surveying and statistics part. As usual, it's only Yuri who helps Seohyun. The two are just freeloaders.

Seohyun messages everyone each time but it's just Yuri who shows up on meetings and gets to do anything. They decide to meet at the library after class.

"Hi." Yuri approaches Seohyun.

"Hi." Seohyun replied.

"I'll just go change my clothes. I'm really sweaty." Yuri said as she's still in her varsity jersey."

"Sure."

When Yuri came back, Seohyun discusses what they have so far for the feasibility study. Yuri tries to listen attentively, but after a few minutes she passed out sleeping on her arms on the table.

Seohyun notices Yuri and she stops. She wants to wake her up though she feels guilty. She should actually bother her other group mates. Yuri's tired from varsity though she's the lone member who cooperates.

As Yuri gets to balance school and varsity,
Yuri starts to appeal to Seohyun more. Seohyun finds herself in a trance just observing Yuri sleeping. She somewhat wants to see Yuri up close. She unconsciously brushes the loose strands in Yuri's hair. Yuri must have felt that as she wakes up and cutely scratches her eyes. 

"Sorry~ Where were we?" Yuri smiles. 

I think my heart just skipped a beat with her smile. Seohyun thought.

But instead she answered, "How can you sleep when it's only two of us working on this? My standing depends on this and you being in varsity depends on this too!" Seohyun answered angrily to ignore whatever she just felt. 

Yuri was somehow shocked with the change of attitude in Seohyun, though that got her motivated to finish working on what they had started. 

 


The next day, Yuri comes earlier than usual. She spots Seohyun fixing her books in the locker.

Yuri approaches Seohyun and hands her a bottle of Iced Coffee.

Seohyun stares at her with a questioning look.
"For you."

"Thanks." Seohyun gets it as she goes back to fixing her things.

Yuri looks at Seohyun's locker. "It's already fixed. Your things are so neat!"

"It's pretty hard to concentrate when your things aren't in order." Seohyun replies. She observes that Yuri is still beside her. "What do you need?"

Yuri replies, "Huh?"

"You're still here." Seohyun said.

"So..." Yuri replies though she doesn't seem to get what Seohyun is trying to say.

"We're done with the project and we have nothing to talk about unless you want to add something? I already printed it this morning—"

"So? Do we need something to talk about? I thought we're friends now." 

"Yuri, look. I'm just not used to people lurking and leeching around me." Seohyun straight up looked at Yuri. 

Yuri stared at Seohyun, quite hurt. Yet she doesn't say anything and quickly leaves.

Seohyun submits the paper for the group. The class starts and Seohyun feels guilty. She can't concentrate in class and just observes Yuri from afar. She didn't mean what she said. Now that she shooed Yuri away, she wants to be with Yuri, to sit beside her and talk to her. She feels lonely not being able to chat for a while like they used to when discussing their paper. She was usually alone but when she met Yuri, it feels like she needed to be with her now.

 

The next day, Yuri finds Seohyun fixing her locker again. Because of the incident the last time, Yuri doesn't mind talking to Seohyun but instead, leaves a bottle of iced coffee in her locker in front of Seohyun.

Seohyun notices the Post-it with a message, "You study a lot, so you need this. Fighting!"

Seohyun avoids looking at Yuri during class. She knows that she won't be able to concentrate like last time. She ignores her daydreams during class. After class, she entertains her thoughts earlier. She buys Gatorade and unknowingly looks for Yuri at the gym. She never watched the varsity practices yet she finds herself at this situation now. 

Seohyun admires Yuri as she dribbles and shoots the ball. As Yuri approaches the bench for break, she hands a bottle to Yuri and walks away. 

Yuri reads the Post-it attached, "You practice a lot, so you need this. Fighting!"

Exchanging coffee and energy drinks went on for weeks. During the last day of class, Yuri decides to change this routine. She approaches Seohyun by her locker again.

"I know you don't like talking to people if not for a group project... but I want to talk to you now. It's the last day of classes anyway, you don't need to study." Yuri said sincerely, with slight fear in her tone that Seohyun would ignore her. 

"Yuri, I'm really sorry for what I said that day. I'm sorry. I was just not in the mood. I... didn't want to be distracted from my studies that's why I don't like hanging out with people if not for school related things."

"It's okay. I understand. Anyway, I didn't bring you coffee today since it's the last day of classes and you don't need it. Here." Yuri hands her an envelope.

Seohyun opens it and it's a coffee shop gift certificate. Seohyun giggles and stares at the gift check.

"What? You don't like it?" Yuri asks.

"I'm afraid that there's no gift certificate for Gatorade." Seohyun replies.

"As long as you take me with you at that coffee shop." Yuri points to the gift certificate.

"You gave it to me and you want to drink this?" Seohyun asks.

"It's enough for the two of us." Yuri winks.

"Who says I'll take you with me?" Seohyun teases.

"You go then." Yuri says and walks away.

Seohyun pulls Yuri and drags her to the coffee shop.