Facing Fate

We Got Married.. And had a kid?!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

I woke up at 8 in the morning on a beautiful Sunday in Seoul. I decided to get breakfast from the hotel restaurant first before I finish packing my things. On my way down to the lobby, I received a text message from Jung Shin asking if I’m awake and if I would like to join him for breakfast. He intentionally did not mention the Ice King would be with him, but we both knew he would. Admitting defeat, I replied that I was on my way there.

 

In the lobby, I noted the non-stop pour of people with cameras on to one of the conference rooms, while just outside the hotel door, were hundreds of people seemingly waiting for someone to arrive.

 

Must be a press conference or something.. Wonder for who and what for..

 

I saw Jung Shin waving at me when I got to the restaurant. The Ice King was there too, I just nodded at him and he did the same.

 

I admit defeat, but it doesn’t mean I’m not mad anymore..

 

We ate in silence, while Jung Shin just blabbed about who could be the press-con for, ranging from the Pope to a local star and everyone in between. We were all startled when the people outside, mostly females, started screaming at the top of their lungs while flashing white lights went off simultaneously. Jung Shin panicked and dived under the table, thinking we were being attacked. When he realized he made a mistake, he suddenly stood up and announced he found the earring he dropped.

 

What earring?! His ears weren’t even pierced!

 

He was so embarrassed diving under the table that he blurted what most actresses say in dramas and movies when they were caught in the same situation. I laughed so hard that I almost fell off my chair, while the Ice King couldn’t decide if he was going to laugh or glare at Jung Shin for creating a commotion, so he just shook his head and rolled his eyes.

 

Eventually the noise died down and the mob of cameras moved off to the conference room while the hotel security controlled the people outside. We never found out who the conference was for, but I had the time of my life counting off to Jung Shin the things he could have said instead of ‘earrings’ from the lobby all the way up to my floor, “Fork.. Spoon.. Knife.. Contact lens.. Coin.. Keys.. Wallet.. Handkerchief..”

 

I was planning on teasing him until we reached his door, but he pushed me out of the elevator when we reached my floor. I finished packing an hour later so I went through some of the work I haven’t finished yet and was later joined by Jung Shin and the Ice King. We just ordered some sandwiches for lunch since we were still a little full from breakfast. Half an hour later, we were done and decided to meet at the lobby to check out at 2. I changed my outfit to something I could move comfortably in since we were going to travel and I didn’t want to worry about skirts and hair going up in the wind.

 

 

We still had an hour before we had to leave, so I decided to check out first and visit my Yoo Na Eonni’s friend, Park Jae Jung, who I saw earlier working as one of the Managers of the hotel.

 

I found him at the lobby on his way to the hotel restaurant. He asked me to accompany him there as it was closed off temporarily. It appears that some of the ladies, who were screaming outside earlier, got in and broke some table wares, trying to get to the press conference in the next room. He said that it was a good thing nobody got hurt and that the Producers of the press-con promised to pay for the damages. Apparently, the press-con was for a famous Korean actor turned singer, who was launching his new album.

 

I met a lot of Filipinos who were working in the kitchen. They came out to help clear out the broken glasses and plates since they did not need to cook yet because the restaurant was closed off. Jae Jung Oppa told me I could wait in the restaurant with them ‘til I have to leave for the airport. I offered to help, but they all refused saying that my presence was enough for them. I was laughing at their joke when I noticed a grand piano in the corner of the room facing the garden outside.

 

I asked Jae Jung Oppa if I could play a song for them since they wouldn’t let me help them and they all nodded eagerly. I decided to play the song that has been haunting my mind since I heard it last night. My subconscious must have memorized the melody since I fell asleep with it playing in the background. I started to play Nothing Better by ear, silently wishing for the person who wrote the note to find his/her one true love today.

 

 

When I was done, I heard appreciative clapping from the restaurant and hotel staff that was present, working to get the restaurant in order. Then they started chanting “Encore! Encore!” so I obliged as I still have time to play just one more song before I have to leave. I chose to play one of my favorite songs called Falling Slowly from the movie Once.

 

 

As soon as I was done, I heard my phone ringing inside my bag. It was Jung Shin, probably wondering where I was. I turned around to thank Jae Jung Oppa for letting me stay in the restaurant with them when I noticed it was eerily quiet.

 

“Jae Jung Oppa, I ha—”, I faltered when I met a set of big brown eyes looking directly at me.

 

 

“Hello..”, he said, smiling.

 

“Hello..”, I said, stunned and suddenly at a loss for words for the very first time in my life.

 

I’m SP

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter