Gala Night

We Got Married.. And had a kid?!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

Okay, here we go.. You can figure this out! Fighting, Seo Joo Hyun!

 

The car was quiet when I got in followed by Jung Shin. We decided to take Cherisse’s car seat out, so Jung Shin can join Yong Oppa and me at the back while Moonie Ahjussi drives and Manager Oppa rides shotgun. Cherisse was sitting in Yong Oppa’s lap, she smiled at me and took my hand in hers when I got in, while her other hand was in Yong Oppa’s.

 

I looked at Yong Oppa, but he was looking outside, avoiding eye contact, making me realize that he doesn’t want to talk about whatever it is that’s bugging him yet. I decided to leave him alone with his thoughts first so he can sort it out, but at the same time I wanted to reassure him that I'm here when he’s ready.

 

What do I do.. Hmmm..

 

I studied Yong Oppa and Cherisse’s position, they way they were seated. When I was satisfied that nobody will see what I was planning to do, I started to move stealthily. Looking outside, I slowly eased out of Cherisse’s hand. Inch by inch and painfully slow so she wouldn’t notice. When my hand was free, making sure Cherisse’s fluffy dress was hiding it, I s my hand through Yong Oppa’s arm and slowly moved it downward ‘til I felt his hand in mine and squeezed.

 

 

He didn’t show any kind of reaction to what I did, he didn’t even look at me. I was about to let go, feeling disappointed when I felt his hand squeeze back, tightening his grip on mine. I sighed quietly. I felt him smile a little even though I wasn’t looking at him. His hand felt so right in mine, it was overwhelming.

 

Why does this man affect me so much..? I barely know him and even JUST met him, yet it feels like I’ve known him all my life..

 

After a few minutes, I felt someone staring at me. I looked to my left and saw Cherisse frowning at me, waiting for something.

 

Uh-oh.. Busted..

 

I knew she was waiting for me to give her my hand, so I tried to let go of Yong Oppa’s hand before Cherisse looks for it and everyone take notice that Yong Oppa and I were holding hands. But Yong Oppa wouldn’t let go. I looked at him and he has this look as if he was amused. A small smile was playing in the corner of his mouth, threatening to show. I surreptitiously struggled out of his hand but he wouldn’t budge, all the while, Cherisse was getting impatient with me.

 

Oppa, let go! Or Cherisse is going to blow our cover when she lifts her dress to find my hand! Aishhh!

 

I looked at Yong Oppa again. His jaw set determinedly, looking at me covertly, trying to tell me to solve the problem on my own without him letting go of my hand.

 

Cham!

 

In the end, I had to give my other hand to Cherisse, which looked awkward because she was holding the hand farthest from her. Jung Shin looked at us for a second and promptly went back to looking outside. I sighed a quiet sigh of relief as Yong Oppa squeezed my hand and gave me a lopsided smile.

 

Aishhh, Jung Yong Hwa.. What am I going to do with you.. Seriously! But at least, you’re smiling again.. The night is still young and I promise to get you back to your happy self before this day is finished..

 

After a few more minutes, we arrived at our destination. Cars of different sizes, shape, and make lined-up the entrance to the Pavilion. It is an impressive 17,280-square-foot Grecian-style structure with balconies open to a view of the sea on one side. Adjacent to the Pavilion is a 6,000 square foot alfresco promenade ideal for an outdoor lounge and beyond it is a Modern-Art Museum that tourists frequent.

 

“Oh good, we’re not the only ones late..”, I heard Manager Oppa say, sighing with relief.

 

“It actually starts at 8pm, Manager Hyung.. We just say 7pm so everybody will be there by 8..”, Jung Shin explained.

 

“Oh, that reminds me I have to call Cherisse and Manager Hyung’s ticket partner out, or else, they won’t be able to get in..”, Jung Shin added as he took out his smart-phone.

 

“I’ll call Kim Sa—oh, never mind..”, I faltered, remembering that neither Cherisse nor Yong Oppa would let go of my hand.

 

As the car slowly moved forward, we watched in fascination the beautifully dressed men and women that are in line to get inside the Pavilion.

 

“Yaaa.. I’ve been to awards night with Yong Hwa-yah so many times, but I’m still not used to it.. I feel suddenly nervous..”, Manager Oppa mused.

 

“Me, too, Hyung.. And I’m the one who has to face hundreds of cameras and people..”, Yong Oppa commented, surprising us because he was so quiet on the drive here, something he has never done before by the look of concern from his Manager earlier.

 

“Really, Yong Hwa Hyung? I thought you’d be used to it by now..”, Jung Shin chimed in, trying to get Yong Oppa talking, clearly hoping he’d get back to his old self soon, too.

 

“Nope, I’m still not used to it and I don’t think I ever will..”, Yong Oppa answered, shaking his head slightly.

 

After a few more minutes of chatting, Yong Oppa is starting to get lively again. Moonie Ahjussi even made him chuckle once when he mentioned that he pictures everyone in the bathroom, pooping, so he doesn’t get nervous and intimidated on awards show, to which Manager Oppa berated him, protecting himself as if Moonie Ahjussi was picturing him pooping at the moment.

 

“Hyung! Nobody wants to see that! Aishhh!”, Yong Oppa argued and promptly returns to talking to Cherisse about pooping later when we get home. So the looks Jung Shin, Moonie Ahjussi, Manager Oppa, and I exchanged went unnoticed.

 

Finally, it was our turn to get out of the car. At first, I was afraid Yong Oppa wouldn’t let go of my hand, but when Manager Oppa opened the car door for us at the back, Yong Oppa let go. I suddenly felt bereft. Alone. As if something was missing in me.

 

Yah, Seo Joo Hyun! Make up your mind! Do you want him to hold your hand or not?! It’s that simple! Sheesh!

 

We saw Kim Sa Jangnim and his Directors waiting patiently for us up a few steps, just outside the front entrance. When they saw us getting out of the car, all their faces lit up, waving animatedly, making us feel like we were the guest of honors. And by this time, Yong Oppa’s mood had greatly improved, which in turn made us all happy.

 

“Yah, come on and let’s get in.. It’s cold here.. And I want to see you all without your coats.. Especially my beautiful sonnyeo..”, Kim Sa Jangnim fretted, herding us in.

 

“Seohyun-ie, Manager Hyung can’t get in yet.. HE is still not here.. He’s not answering his phone..”, Jung Shin whispered to me, as we huddled together away from everyone.

 

“What?! But he’s already here, right?!”, I asked him, alarmed. “Manager Oppa needs to get inside now before it starts or he won’t have the time to set-up Yong Oppa’s performance later..”, I added which is why it was important for Manager Oppa to come along.

 

“I don’t know.. I haven’t talked to him since he left Seoul! He promised he’d call me the minute he lands in Jeju, but he never did! That man is such a scatterbrain!”, Jung Shin exclaimed, frustrated at our replacement Architect.

 

“I’ll call him! Cover for me..”, I told Jung Shin, gesturing towards our group because Yong Oppa was starting to look for us.

 

“Can’t we exchange our passes, Jung Shin-ie?”, I asked him while I wait for my call to get picked up.

 

“We can’t, Seohyun-ie.. I tried, believe me.. If we could, you’d all be inside now while I wait here.. Our names are on the passes and it must match with what’s in the computer otherwise we can’t get in.. You know they heightened up the security because of terrorists.. And for such a large international gathering like this, it's hopeless for us..”, Jung Shin informed me, getting more and more anxious by the minute.

 

“Relax, Jung Shin-ie.. And smile..”, I reminded him, pasting a smile on my face, too as I nodded at our small group who were all now looking at us quizzically.

 

“He’s not answering! When I get my hands on that man—”

 

“Joo Hyun-ie!”, I heard a man’s voice call out to me and the next thing I knew I was up in the air being twirled around like a kid.

 

“YAHHH! GET YOUR HANDS OFF HER!!!”, I heard someone shout from somewhere.

 

Huh?!

 

 

 

Jung Yong Hwa

I was shaking hands with Kim Sa Jangnim and his Directors while carrying Cherisse on my other arm when I suddenly felt something was missing.

 

What’s missing? Hyung has my guitar.. I have Cherisse with me.. Hyun—where is Hyun?

 

I surreptitiously looked around while re-introducing my Manager to Kim Sa Jangnim and his Directors. I found Hyun and Jung Shin huddled together, whispering a few feet away from us.

 

What? What is it now? Why do they look alarmed?

 

After Hyun gestured towards us, I noticed Jung Shin stepped in front of Hyun while she makes a call, as if Jung Shin can hide Hyun from me and Cherisse—especially Cherisse.

 

Who are they calling? Is there a problem? I hope not..

 

“It’s okay, babycakes.. There’s Mommy.. See?”, I pacified Cherisse as she’s starting to make a fuss, while at the same time, Hyun and Jung Shin was having a serious discussion, both looking so anxious.

 

“Is there something wrong, Yong Hwa-ssi?”, asked one of Kim Sa Jangnim’s Directors.

 

“She’s just looking for her Mommy, Park Gua Jangnim—”

 

“Where IS Seohyun-ssi and Jung Shin-ssi, by the way?”, Choi Gua Jangnim asked, noticing for the first time that the two were missing.

 

“There they are..”, Kang Gua Jangnim pointed them out, as we all turned to look at the two. When they noticed we were all looking at them, Hyun and Jung Shin smiled at us and even nodded as if to reassure us everything was alright.

 

“Is there a problem?”, Kim Sa Jangnim asked, looking concerned, when a sudden flash of irritation came across Hyun’s usually calm and serene face.

 

Then out of nowhere we heard a man call out Hyun’s name, “Joo Hyun-ie!”

 

Joo Hyun-ie?!

 

In slow motion, as if I was watching a movie, I saw Hyun being picked-up by the waist and twirled around like a kid.

 

“YAHHH! GET YOUR HANDS OFF HER!!!”, I heard someone shout from somewhere near me.

 

I looked around, trying to find the person who had the gall to shout like that. He sounded as if he owns Hyun or something and that did not go well with me. I felt confused when I noticed everyone—and I mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON AROUND—was looking at me.

 

What?! What’s everybody looking at?!

 

“Yong Hwa-yah, calm down..”, my Manager whispered beside me as he kept greeting the people looking at us and sending them on their way.

 

Huh?! Calm down? I am calm.. Why?! Was that—ME?! WAS IT?!

 

I felt my blood drain out of my face when I realized the truth.

 

NOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! Arrrggghhh!!! Get a grip, Jung Yong Hwa!

 

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

Carp! Just when Yong Oppa is feeling lively again!

 

“Oppa! This is not an appropriate behavior for adults! Put me down! NOW!”, I hissed as our replacement Architect flashed me an eye-smile.

 

“Oh, right.. Sorry, Joo Hyun-ie—”

 

“Yah! We’re here for work, Architect! Would you PLEASE act your age and please try to be a professional! Cham!”, I scolded him as he grinned at me goofily.

 

“Arasseo, Engineer Seo!”, he replied as he gave me a mock salute, eye-smile still in place.

 

Aigooo! Another Choding in the house! One Choding is enough! Aishhh!

 

I glared threateningly at Jung Shin when I noticed him trying not to laugh out loud, which promptly made him clear his throat and stand up a little straighter.

 

“Now, come on and let’s get this over with! Just when he’s feeling—aishhh!”, I mumbled anxiously, as I stomped off towards Yong Oppa and Cherisse, who were both looking at me disappointedly.

 

“What?! Get over what, Joo—Engineer Seo?! Who’s HE?! Me?! I’m feeling what? Did I miss something?! What is goi—”

 

“Hyung, we have to get inside now! We need your invites!”, I heard Jung Shin say as he ushered our replacement Architect forward, body-searching him as they walked.

 

“Yah! Yahhh! Get your hands off me! I’ll take it out myself! Aishhh—”

 

“Hurry, Hyung!”, Jung Shin insisted. When he finally got the invites, he went over to Yong Oppa’s Manager and dragged him in.

 

“Yong Oppa, I—”

 

“Yah! Come on! It’s starting and we have to find our seats! Hopefully we’re right next to each other and near the stage so I can watch Yong Hwa-ssi’s performance front and center!”, Kim Sa Jangnim cut me off as the lights flickered on and off signaling everyone to get inside. We had no choice but to follow him and have our names checked off and registered.

 

The Grand Foyer is packed with men in crisp suits talking in small groups. Once in a while, a waiter would walk by and hand out flutes of sparkling champagne. The ladies, on the other hand, were on their way to the powder room, no doubt to relieve themselves or touch up their make-ups before the Gala starts.

 

 

Good thing Manager Oppa’s already inside to set-up whatever Yong Oppa needs for his performance later..

 

Yong Oppa, giving nothing away with his impassive face, stayed silent and just followed us, doing whatever we asked him to do. He didn’t even break into a smile when Kim Sa Jangnim and his Directors complimented us three (him, Cherisse, and me) for color-coordinating our attires for tonight, after finally checking our coats. He just bowed and nodded.

 

When we got inside where some more of the well-dressed people are centrally congregated, all the men gave low whistles as they finally saw how big the Pavilion really was. It was decorated in thousands of twinkling lights changing in the colors of the rainbow.

 

 

We found our seats near the stage, front and center, as Kim Sa Jangnim has wished earlier. To add to his delight, he was seated in our table while his Directors were in the next table together with their wives.

 

“Yaaa.. I guess it’s my lucky night!”, he exclaimed, rubbing his hands together, while his Directors moved on to the next table where their wives were already chatting with each other.

 

Yong Oppa, Kim Sa Jangnim, and Moonie Ahjussi fell into a quiet conversation, while I look around for our errant replacement Architect, who I’m yet to introduce to everyone as he vanished as soon as we checked-in our coats.

 

Aigooo! That scatterbrain Architect! Where is he?!

 

I froze when I felt someone watching me. I looked to my right and caught Yong Oppa moving his eyes away from me as Kim Sa Jangnim called his name to ask his opinion on whatever they were talking about. I stared at the plate in front of me, thinking of what could have upset Yong Oppa in the first place. I came up with nothing.

 

What is he thinking..? I REALLY wish I could read minds.. Surely he’s not mad about Sig Oppa picking me up, is he..? He’s—

 

“Hyun, can you take Cherisse for a minute? I need to talk to Manager Hyung and some of the musicians..”, he asked quietly, looking at me impassively.

 

“O-Of course, Oppa.. If there’s a problem, tell me or Jung Shin-ie, okay?”, I reminded him. He nodded, told Cherisse he’d be back before he handed her to me, and set off looking for his Manager.

 

“Mommy..”, Cherisse said as she touched my cheek.

 

 

“I know, baby.. Let’s cheer him up, okay? Fighting!”, I told Cherisse, her blue eyes burning into mine as I pump my fist in the air.

 

“Highting!”, she mimicked, pumping her little fists like I did, making me laugh.

 

“What’s so funny? Yaaa.. Who is this, Joo Hyun-ie.. Don’t tell me this is—”

 

“Yup! This is Cherisse, Oppa.. Cherisse Angelli Levesque..”, I announced proudly, beaming at how beautiful my daughter is.

 

“Wow! She’s gorgeous, Joo Hyun-ie—”

 

“Of course, she is! She’s MY daughter!”, I agreed, grinning like an idiot. Then remembering I haven’t introduced him to any one in our little group yet, I added “Oppa! Where did you go earlier? I haven’t introduced you to our client, Kim Sa Jangnim and his Directors, and ummm to Yong Oppa—”

 

“Yong Oppa?! Your virtual husband..?”, he interjected, one eyebrow slightly higher than the other, regarding me.

 

“Yes! Do you have a problem with that—”

 

“Seohyun-ssi, are you—oh.. Excuse me, I didn’t mean to interrupt—”

 

“Kim Sa Jangnim, you’re not interrupting anything.. I’d like you to meet our replacement Architect for your project.. This is Architect S—”

 

“Please just call me Sig, Sa Jangnim..”, he said cutting me off as he bowed and shook hands with Kim Sa Jangnim, for once looking and acting professional like an Architect should.

 

“Kim Seong Won.. Pleased to meet you, Sig-ssi.. I hope we’ll work together well..”, Kim Sa Jangnim replied as he took Sig Oppa’s hand and shook it.

 

Kim Sa Jangnim then motioned for his Directors and their wives to join us. As he introduced their new project Architect around, I introduced myself to their wives who all flocked towards Cherisse like she’s a siren calling to them. They gushed and showered her with attention, making her giggle delightedly.

 

The lights flickered for the second time, telling us to take our seats and for the stragglers to get inside before they officially close the door. We all went back to our seats while Yong Oppa and his Manager were still nowhere to be seen, probably still taking last minute preparations before the Gala started. After five minutes, the lights dimmed and everyone went quiet.

 

“Hyun..”, I heard Yong Oppa whisper, he was motioning for me to put Cherisse on the high-chair a waiter just put between our chairs, replacing the one Cherisse was supposed to sit on.

 

“Thank you..”, I whispered to the waiter and Yong Oppa who both nodded to me. Yong Oppa helped me strap Cherisse on before he took his seat. A few seconds later, Manager Oppa joined us and took his seat next to Yong Oppa.

 

He’s moping, but he still never forgets to take care of Cherisse..

 

“Oppa, I—”

 

“Hyun, I—”

 

“Good evening, everyone! If you’d all take your respective seats.. Dinner will be served shortly.. Thank you and please enjoy!”, a voice boomed from the speaker, interrupting my and Yong Oppa’s conversation. Then a soothing music came from the stage as an orchestra started to play. Moments later, hundreds of waiter came out with our dinner, as guests were all served at the same time.

 

“Yaaa.. I bet Jong Hyun-ah will regret not coming when he finds out we’re having steak for dinner..”, Manager Oppa surmised as he eyed the big slab of steak in front of him.

 

“I don’t know how he got the idea of us just having finger foods when the invites I showed him clearly said ‘GALA DINNER’..”, I commented.

 

“I told him we’re having finger foods AFTER the dinner, but I guess he tuned me out as soon as he heard finger foods.. Cham!”, Jung Shin added making us chuckle as we dived in to our food, while Kim Sa Jangnim and Sig Oppa were discussing something between themselves.

 

I watched as Yong Oppa cut a very tiny portion off his steak and coax Cherisse to try it. She did, making Yong Oppa smile.

 

Good girl, Cherisse..

 

We took turns coaxing Cherisse into trying everything we thought she’d like including the vegetables that came with the steak, but eventually she settled for the mashed potato dripping with gravy that everyone around our table offered for her to have. We were winding down with dinner when I remembered I still haven’t properly introduced Yong Oppa to Sig Oppa. When I had the chance to talk to him while everybody else was busy talking to someone else, I took it.

 

“Oppa.. I’m sorry I haven’t introduced you to—”

 

“Sig-ssi..? Jung Shin-ie, told me about him..”, he said calmly as he wiped Cherisse’s face with the wet wipe I handed him.

 

“Oh, so you know about him being—”

 

“Yes, Hyun, I know.. And I’m sorry I over-reacted earlier.. I thought he’s like that awful Italian from yesterday..”, he apologized, cringing as he clearly remembered what happened at the convention.

 

Ugh! I hate that man!

 

“It's okay, Oppa.. I understand.. So Jung Shin-ie told you he’s—”

 

“Engineer Seo?”, a man dressed in all black wearing a headset interrupted what I was saying.

 

“Uhhh Yes? May I help you?”, I asked, a little surprised.

 

Aishhh! What now?! Will I ever finish a conversation with Yong Oppa without anybody interrupting! Gaaah!

 

“Mr. Lee said you could help us in our problem.. Would you please come with me..?”, he answered, as he took his ear-piece off and sighed in relief.

 

I guess someone was shouting at him through the earpiece.. Poor guy..

 

“Mr. Lee?”, I queried as there are a hundred Mr. Lee in the Gala right now.

 

“Yes.. Tall, gangly—”

 

“Ahhh, Jung Shin-ie!”, I exclaimed as I looked at his seat and he was nowhere to be found, so was Yong Oppa’s Manager.

 

What did that man got me into now?!

 

“Please help us..”, begged the man in all-black, he looks like he’s almost in tears.

 

“Ummm Could you give me a second?”, I asked to which he took a few steps away from us.

 

“Oppa, what time are you going to sing? Do you mind if I leave you and Cherisse for a minute to see what I could help this man with?”, I asked Yong Oppa. “But if you don’t want me to go, I won’t go..”, I added when he hesitated.

 

“Do you mind if we come with you, Hyun?”, he asked instead of answering, eyeing the man in black waiting anxiously behind us.

 

“I’ll just make sure Jung Shin-ie is really there..”, he added, looking at me nervously.

 

He’s nervous? Why?

 

“Of course not, Oppa.. I think that’s a great idea..”, I answered as he fumbled with Cherisse’s high-chair straps.

 

Standing up together with Moonie Ahjussi, we excused ourselves from Sig Oppa and Kim Sa Jangnim who were both busy talking to Kim Sa Jangnim’s Directors in the next table. They both waved us off as we followed the man in black who looked like he aged 10 years as he waited for my decision.

 

We walked around and to the back of the stage where we met Jung Shin and Manager Oppa talking to a couple of guys who clearly was angry at something.

 

“Yah, Jung Shin-ah.. What is this about?”, I asked as soon as we were within earshot of each other while the orchestra kept playing.

 

“Seohyun-ie, the orchestra is about to take a break and the next entertainers didn’t show up, so now there’s a gap in the program..”, he informed me.

 

“Can’t you just let the orchestra keep playing—”

 

“They have to take a break, the wind section needs to take a breather and some water—yah, Seohyun-ah, I didn’t think you’re this heartless—”

 

“Fine! They need a break! So what’s this got to do with me? Do you need me to hand out some water and maybe an oxygen tank—”

 

“We need you to entertain the guests..”, said one of the man looking like he’s been harassed recently.

 

“ENTERTAIN THE GUESTS?! And how am I supposed to do that?! Don’t you have a DJ? I know we asked for a DJ for later on in the evening, he can play now, can’t he—”

 

“He’s not here yet either..”, answered another man cowering behind the harassed-looking guy.

 

“What?! These people need to know what professionalism means! Cham! Then, who’s here aside from the orchestra and—”, I stopped what I was saying when they all looked at me pleadingly.

 

“What am I supposed to do up there?! Show them how to make splices and joints?! I think half of the guests already know how to make—”

 

“What are splices and joints—”

 

“Yah! The orchestra is about to finish! And they refuse to play another song since, according to them, they’re in their FOURTH encore! They’re hungry and thirsty! Where’s the band or the DJ?”, asked the man hired to be the Emcee.

 

“There’s a slight change in the program.. Seohyu—Engineer Seo here will play the piano—”

 

“What?! Jung Shin-ah, I’m not prepared—”

 

“Please, Miss! Just a song or two! Any song! Pleaseeeeeeeeee???”, asked the harassed-looking man who I think is the Stage Director. I looked at Yong Oppa and Cherisse asking for their permission as I really didn’t want to leave them alone especially because of Yong Oppa’s sour mood.

 

“Can’t we just not do anything? I mean nobody’s listening, anyway.. Everybody’s busy talking with each other.. Maybe they won’t notice—”

 

“We can’t, Miss—”

 

“Hyun, you can do it.. We’ll be watching and cheering you on.. And we’ll listen.. Won’t we, babycakes? Fighting!”, Yong Oppa suddenly said as if he read again what I was thinking.

 

“Highting!”, Cherisse added, giggling.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter