Glimpses of His Fate

We Got Married.. And had a kid?!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jung Yong Hwa

What is wrong with me?! Why did I do that?! Hyung is going to kill me when he finds out I slipped a note containing my PERSONAL phone number under some married woman’s hotel room door! I’m so dead! – Maybe she won’t call because she’ll think it’s not for her.. – Yes, that’s right.. Maybe she won’t call.. Hmmm.. – Or maybe the husband will get it first, get so mad, and is now prowling the hotel, hunting your as— – YAHHH!!!

 

I don’t know what got into me that made me do such a callous thing. Being in the entertainment business half my life, I had to build walls around me to protect, not just myself, but the people around me, especially my family. I would never do anything to hurt them intentionally. Unfortunately, I couldn’t shield them from people who had nothing better to do but write articles that could bring them money regardless if it’s wrong or even true. And in this business, the higher you shine, the more mud thrown at you.

 

When I was just beginning as an actor, my life was an open book. I shared every little thing about me. I thought people would appreciate the honesty I’m offering them. Well, they did, until some thought they could make money out of my honesty. I learned my lesson the hard way. And from then on, the pages of my life started to shrink until I had to close it and share only what you see outside of me. My image turned from an honest teenager to a bachelor who can’t commit. My name is Jung Yong Hwa, the forever bachelor.

 

I don’t deny it though. I guess being burned by malicious rumors and scandals throughout my career has made me somewhat cautious and distant. Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m not a snob or anything, I actually get along with people well, but I guess not well enough to actually let them inside my heart. I have always been careful of my image, although some people think otherwise and make trouble for me. But somehow, I always end up clearing my name. I guess because in the end, the person with a good heart is the real winner.

 

Ahem! – You’re so humble, Jung Yong Hwa! – What?! It’s just us, anyway! And I heard that from someone, somewhere.. I just can’t remember from whom and where.. Anyway, it’s the truth.. They keep dragging my name into scandals, but none of them were true and I always, ALWAYS prove them wrong.. – I guess you got a point there.. Now, let’s see if you can’t get out of the scandal you yourself just created a few minutes ago.. – Yah! Cham!

 

“Yong Hwa-yah! Where were you?! I’ve been looking all over for you?! I told you not to go wandering around! You could get mobbed—”

 

“I’m alright, Hyung.. I just uhhh had to uhhh do something..”, I hedged, trying not to meet my Manager’s eyes, as I made my way inside the hotel room we were occupying.

 

“What? What did you do this time?”, he asked, sounding suspicious.

 

Calm down, Yong Hwa-yah.. What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.. It’s not like the married girl is calli—

 

RRRRRRRR   RRRRRRRR

 

Aishhh!

 

“Yah, your phone is ringing..”, my Manager called my attention on the cell-phone resting on the bed as he eyed it hungrily. It was the one thing that he had no control over and the one thing that I don’t share with him. And we both knew we have an unspoken agreement that it’s fair game as long as he gets it first.

 

I guess he just got in the room when I arrived.. Either that or he didn’t realize it was there all along.. Tough luck, Hyung!

 

I calculated my options. My Manager was a few inches nearer to my cell-phone than me. It’s either I distract him with something I think he’d overreact with or dive for my cell-phone and hope that I get to it first. I was about to open my mouth when I notice him flinch a millimeter so I dived for my cell-phone.

 

The next thing I knew, my Manager was spread-eagled on the bathroom floor, when I “accidentally” pushed him aside to get to my cell-phone first, causing him to careen sideways, trip on the carpet and hurtle himself head-long first into the bathroom.

 

“YAAAHHH!!! YOU BRAAAAAT!!!!”, I heard my Manager yell indignantly.

 

“Sorry, Hyung! Are you okay?! Hello?”, I said to my caller as soon as I shut the door of the balcony, cutting the tirade of my Manager from the bathroom.

 

“Yong Yong Oppa!”, I heard a familiar voice say.

 

“Ga Young-ie?!”, I asked as I didn’t take the time to see who was calling for fear that it was the girl I saw being picked bodily from the elevator a few floors down from me.

 

I hope she’s okay.. – Why do you care so much, you don’t even know her and besides, she’s MARRIED! Hello?!

 

“Oppa?! Yong Yong Oppa?! Are you busy? I can call later if you are..”, I heard Ga Young ask, distracting me from my thoughts.

 

“Oh, uhhh sorry, Ga Young-ie.. Uhhh Manager Hyung uhhh tripped on something.. He's okay, though! Anyway, I have some time before we have to go, why did you call? Is everything okay? How is everybody?”, I asked, focused now.

 

“We’re all okay, don’t worry so much about us, Oppa.. Imo just asked me to remind you to see Hyun Joong Oppa about the documents she wanted copies of now that you’re in Seoul so she doesn’t have to go there..”, she reminded me.

 

“Oh, right! I completely forgot about that! Thank you for reminding me—”

 

“Yaaa.. You’re getting old, Yong Yong Oppa! Good thing Imo made me call you then—”

 

“Yah, don’t you tell her I forgot, Ga Young-ie! Or I will never hear the end of it! And what do you mean old?! I’m just 32! Cham!”, I argued as I hear her laughing on the other side.

 

“You’re 32?! Really?! Wow! I didn’t think you’d be that old now! Hurry up and find my Red-Glasses Girl then, so you can get married, Oppa—”

 

“Yahhh! I told you I am NOT THAT OLD and—”

 

“Yong Hwa-yah! We have to go! Our ride’s here! We have to go before it gets spotted by a paparazzi! Palli!”, my Manager shouted as soon as he opened the balcony door, making me jump in surprise.

 

“I have to go, Ga Young-ie! I miss and love you all! Bye”, I hurriedly said as I made my way back inside.

 

“Arasseoyo! We love and miss you too, Yong Yong Oppa! Take care! Bye!”, I heard Ga Young say before the line went dead.

 

I scrambled to get the things I needed for the day in one bag before we hurriedly took the elevator down to our van. As we travelled, I kept my cell-phone on silent mode, just in case the girl whose room I slid a note to, calls and finally gets me in trouble with my Manager. I was torn between getting a call from her and not getting a call from her.

 

Even if she calls, what about her husband? She’s married, don't forget that.. – I know.. I’m just worried, that’s all.. Aishhh! I don’t know what’s wrong with me!

 

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

Eyng? What husband?! I don’t even have a boyfriend! Or even an ex! I’m so pathetic! Haikkks!!! I think someone got the wrong door!

 

After reading the note over and over again and still couldn’t make sense of it, I finally scrunched up the paper and threw it away. Making sure I have my hotel room key in my purse, I set off. Checking my phone for messages as I rode the elevator down to the lobby, I received a text message from Jung Shin reminding me of the dinner tonight and giving me the details for what to wear tonight (semi-casual, as we were trying to wind down after a hectic schedule) as well as where it will be held in case I want to meet them there instead. I knew he was itching to ask me how I was and where was I and what happened, but as usual, whenever they, or should I say HE, does something that upsets me, Jung Shin just stays quiet, but lets me know that he's always there for me no matter what. I’m guessing the Ice King is still asleep coz he hasn’t sent Jung Shin after me yet.

 

It’s time to get lost in Seoul! Speaking of getting lost, I wonder where that little girl in Jeonju is now.. I hope she’s doing good..

 

 

 

Jung Yong Hwa

As we arrived at the building of the agency that manages my career, my mind was still wandering. And this time it kept repeating the conversation Ga Young and I just had about the Red-Glasses Girl. Sitting in a conference room, being briefed at what we were expecting to happen at the press conference tomorrow morning, nothing was registering to me. So I decided to just give up and hope that my Manager is listening and before I knew it, my memory of what happened 20 years ago started to surface, again, engulfing me.

 

 

 

His First Glimpse (Jeonju, South Korea – 2001)

 

Jung Yong Hwa

“Yong Yong Oppa, buy me a princess book.. Please?”, pleaded Ga Young.

 

“Aishhh! I told you not to use those big puppy eyes on me, Ga Young-ie! Arasseo, arasseo.. Come on, let’s go to the bookstore and I’ll buy you one..”, I conceded because I was unable to say no to my 5 year-old cousin.

 

“Thank you, Yong Yong Oppa!”, exclaimed Ga Young excitedly.

 

When we got to the bookstore, I led Ga Young to the Children’s Book Section and told her to pick whatever she wanted and I’ll buy it for her. Looking around, something, or SOMEONE caught my attention, which was rare because I was admittedly self-absorbed. It was a girl. She was wearing red reading-glasses and has her nose jammed in a book, reading intently, as if she’s going to take a test at any minute. And the amazing part was, she was walking while reading and she never even lost her footing or bumped into anything or anyone.

 

Daebak!

 

I was still watching her from a distance, wondering what it is about her that caught my attention, aside from her circus act, when Ga Young spoke.

 

“Yong Yong Oppa, I want ice cream..”, Ga Young requested, using her charms on me again.

 

Distracted, I didn't argue and just told her to wait for me on that particular aisle while I get her some ice cream. She nodded. When the girl in the glasses moved out of my view, I remembered that food and drinks were not allowed in the bookstore so I went back and told Ga Young to follow me outside instead. But Ga Young was trying to read a book, mesmerized by the pictures depicting the story, and wasn’t listening to me. I started walking to the general direction of where I lost sight of the girl and the exit, thinking Ga Young was following me. I didn’t find the girl anymore, so I went out and started to find an ice cream booth, all the while talking to Ga Young, asking her what flavor she wanted. When she didn’t answer, I looked back and Ga Young wasn’t there!

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

Mi Young Eonni was about to start college, so to celebrate and at the same time visit our Father’s siblings, our parents brought us to South Korea for the first time. My twin and I, at the tender age of 10, and our Eonnies, aged 17, 16, and 14, already understood that our relatives didn’t really liked us the first time they met us. From their perspective, even if our parents were pure Korean, their son and daughters were somehow different—tainted because we were all born in another country. Our Aunts would frown and shush us whenever they’d hear us talking in Tagalog (Filipino Language), in English, and in Korean all in one sentence. But we really didn’t care, we were proud of it actually. We were unique as far as we know. We were not just bilingual, but trilingual. We were brought up to love different cultures, different beliefs, and different ways of life and to see and live the best in all of them. That is what I’m hoping to pass on to my nieces and nephews and if God permits, to my own son(s) and daughter(s).

 

“Remember to be polite and respectful. Don’t talk if you’re not being spoken to. Minimize the bickering amongst yourselves. And girls, please act your age, you’re all ladies now. Oh, and Min Hyuk-ah, no pranks! AT ALL.”, reminded our Mama.

 

“Wooot! Special mention, Min-Min-ah!”, hollered my Eonnies, which earned them a stern stare from our Mama and an eye-smile from Min Hyuk.

 

Papa was collecting our luggage from the baggage claim, so Mama took the time to remind us of our manners before our relatives picks us up from the airport. We only have 5 days in Korea as everyone still have school and work to go back to, but I’m hoping to make a memory with this trip. Our relatives were fairly courteous to us most of the time, but would still look at us strangely whenever they catch us talking “gibberish” amongst ourselves. So we tried to limit using our own way of talking to when it’s just the 5 of us. They left us to explore Jeonju on our own, but provided us with a car. Since our parents lived there before, they figured they’d leave the tour of the WEIRD kids to them, which were fine by us. Our parents brought us to different cultural sites that took our breath away.

 

On the day we go back to Manila, we decided to visit a mall so we could buy gifts for our friends back home. Our flight was at 8pm, so we had plenty of time to buy a few more souvenirs. I made a bee line for the bookstore after we had lunch and strolled for a bit. I browsed for hours when I finally came across a sequel of one of the books I was following. I was so happy I started to read the book right there in the bookstore. I was reading and walking around, looking for a cashier that doesn’t have a long line when I ended up in the Children’s Books Section of the bookstore.

 

There wasn’t much people in the Children's Books Section when I happen to pass by a little girl, maybe 4 or 5 years old, crying quietly in one of the aisle. I went up to her and asked if she was okay. She said she was lost and didn’t know where her ‘Yong Yong Oppa’ went. I told her my name is Seo Joo Hyun and she said her name is Moon Ga Young. I asked if she’d like to walk around the bookstore so we could locate her Oppa. She refused, saying her Oppa will come for her there. I wanted to locate some of my Eonnies so we could ask help for the little girl but as soon as I took a step, she grabbed my arm and started crying. I had no choice but to stay with her until one of my family finds me. I comforted her, telling her that her Oppa is going to find her soon.

 

To pass the time and divert her attention from crying, I took one of the books nearby—The Swan Princess—and sat down. She followed suit and I started to read it to her. She stopped crying as soon as I read the first line. It was in English and she found it amusing when I translated it in Korean so she’d understand. There was a part—when Princess Odette and Prince Derek missed each other—that I told her I had to skip because it had to be sang and I didn’t know how to translate it in Korean and fit it in the melody, but she insisted I sing it even if it’s in English, so I did, both parts, just to pacify her.

 

 

If I could break this spell
I'd run to him today
And somehow I know he's on his way to me
“Derek”, you and I were meant to be   Far longer than forever
I'll hold you in my heart
It's almost like you're here with me
Although we're far apart   Far longer than forever
As constant as a star
I close my eyes and I am where you are   As sure as the dawn brings the sunrise
We've an unshakable bond Destined to last for a lifetime and beyond   Far longer than forever (far longer than forever)
I swear that I'll be true (I swear that I'll be true)
I've made an everlasting vow to find a way to you
Far longer than forever
Like no love ever known
And with your love I'll never be alone   Far longer than forever
Much stronger than forever
And with your love I’ll never be alone

 

When I finished singing, she clapped a little and smiled for the first time. She asked me to finish the story. When I was done, I found her asleep next to me. A few more minutes later, my twin brother found us. I told him to be quiet and to call our parents. My Papa had to carry the sleeping girl to the Customer Service Office, while I told them what happened. I refused to leave Ga Young with another stranger even if she was an employee there. My family agreed with me, but had no choice because we had to leave immediately if we wanted to catch our flight. We have to check in at the airport at the very least two hours (it should be 3-hours) before our flight and we still have to pick up our things at our relatives house and it’s almost 6 pm. We were torn, but were immediately relieved when we were informed that a relative was on his way to the office. We had no choice but to take the employee’s word that someone is coming for her.

 

 

Jung Yong Hwa

She must have gotten distracted somewhere between the bookstore and the ice cream booth.. She must have..

 

So I frantically started looking for her between the two places. I knew I clearly told her to follow me out of the bookstore, so I stubbornly didn’t even consider looking there. More than half an hour later, I conceded and went back to the bookstore to check the aisle where I told her to wait for me. No one was there and I started to panic.

 

I shouldn’t have come to Jeonju for a vacation! I’m so dead! My Aunt is going to kill me. My Uncle is going to kill me. My Grandmother is going to kill me. My Grandfather is going to kill me. But they have to wait in line coz my Mother is going to kill me first! And then my father! Arrrgh! I. Am. So. Dead. Where is she?! She couldn’t have gone far, could she? She was only 5.. Where is she?!!! MOON GA YOUNG!!!

 

Then I remembered to ask one of the employees if there were any security cameras in the bookstore. The employee asked me why I needed to see them and I told her that my 5 year-old cousin was missing. I was told that a family carried a lost little girl into the Customer Service Office just a few minutes ago. That’s where I found Ga Young asleep on the sofa hugging a book and her right hand clutching a red reading-glasses.

 

 

 

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

Walking out of the hotel into the streets of Seoul, I was excited. This will be the first time I would really be able to experience the bustling capital of South Korea. I was trying to locate places and establishments I’ve seen in Korean dramas, like those saunas where men wear blue shirt and shorts while women wear pink ones and where the oppressed and down-on-their-luck characters usually end up staying, either being robbed or else being accused of thievery. And of course, who could forget the infamous KTVs where the gangsters in the drama usually hang out. But sadly, it was too early in the morning to go in and explore. Though I remember the time when Min Hyuk and I turned 18.

 

It was a tradition in the Philippines to have a “debut” (read as de-boo) for the girls while guy’s “debuts” are celebrated when they turn 21, usually held in a bar. The debutante wears a fancy gown, usually in pink, and gets to have 18 of their closest girl friends, sisters, or cousins to give them a wish while lighting candles, hence it’s called 18 Candles. There is also the 18 Roses where the debutante gets to slow dance first with her Father, then the Uncle(s), brother(s), cousin(s), close guy friends and the last would be a special someone of the debutante. It was called 18 Roses because they hand the debutante a single rose before they can dance with her.

 

My Eonnies all celebrated theirs traditionally, with just varying shades of pink. Mi Young Eonni chose the color maroon for her gown, Yu Ri Eonni chose baby pink and Yoo Na Eonni chose old rose for hers.

 

 

I opted for mine to be different since I didn’t want my twin, Min Hyuk, to be left out. I asked if we could go out of the country instead. Since all 3 of my Eonnies had graduated from college and were already working, they agreed to pay for it. I was ecstatic! I chose Singapore because the travel time wasn’t long. We chose to go when a long weekend of vacation presented itself so as not to miss any school/work day. Mi Young Eonni’s husband, Nich Khun Hyungbu, went with us because our parents couldn’t accompany us and an 18-year-old Min Hyuk just wouldn’t be enough to protect 4 headstrong, noisy girls.

 

 

 

 

His Second Glimpse (Singapore, Singapore – 2009)

 

Seo Joo Hyun

We decided to rent a small house that could accommodate the six of us instead of checking in a hotel and spending tons on hotel rooms that would just be used for sleeping at night. We explored Singapore the day we arrived. We went to a local market and tried the food, visited a place they call Little India, and took pictures with the famous Merlion. We also went to a zoo, visited a bird park, went for a night safari, tried clubbing, and shopped till we dropped.

 

 

For our last night, we rented a middle-sized pink and purple room that had a club ambience to it in TopOne KTV.

 

 

“Happy 18th birthday, Twins!!!”, shouted my Eonnies the minute Min Hyuk and I stepped in to the rented room.

 

“Thank you!!!”, said Min Hyuk and I at the same time, smiling widely at all of them.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter