Pandemonium

We Got Married.. And had a kid?!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Seo Min Hyuk

“Is Min Jung-ie still asleep? She’s okay, right?”, I asked my wife, Soo Jung.

 

“Yes, she’s still asleep.. She’s doing okay.. Thank God, she’s not fussy when we travel..”, answered my wife before she kissed our baby’s forehead.

 

“Just hang in there, sweetpea, we’ll be there soon.. I’m so sorry about this..”, I whispered softly to my sleeping baby daughter.

 

“Eihhh, what is there to be sorry about? This is for us.. Besides, she’s tough, she can do it.. Right, Min Jung-ie..?”, Soo Jung commented, smiling at our sleeping baby, who looks just like her with just my eyes.

 

We were in a flight from Singapore to Busan with a connecting flight in Seoul. It’s an exhausting nine and a half hours of nothing to do but sit and wait ‘til we get to our destination. That’s why my wife, Soo Jung, and I are so thankful for having such a patient baby, or else we’d be getting dirty looks from other passengers by now.

 

I just officially finished my company’s project in Singapore after living there for 3 months. I was flying back and forth between Busan, where my wife and baby were, and Singapore for a month before that, when my wife took pity on me and decided to come with me to live there with our baby until I finish the project. I was so thankful to her and at the same time really apologetic to my in-laws as they had Soo Jung and the baby for only almost 4 months, but I just really couldn’t bear living without them for too long.

 

I know, at least, one of Soo Jung’s cousins has a bone to pick with me. Once, I heard Soo Jung’s cousins, Hyun Joong Hyungnim and Jong Hyun Hyung, talking about how Yong Hwa Hyungnim was mad at me for leaving my wife a few months after we got home from our honeymoon to carry out my mandatory military service. I knew it was unfortunate, but I had no choice. I’d rather leave her before we had a baby than after because I wanted to be there for her and our baby as much as I could. I wanted to serve the military before I married Soo Jung, but I had a contract that tied me with work after I graduated from college and, to be honest, I really couldn’t wait to marry Soo Jung anymore. I knew the day I met her, that she was the one.

 

 

Fortunately for me, I have yet to meet Yong Hwa Hyungnim in person. He never calls Soo Jung, or anyone else in his family, according to Soo Jung’s cousins. Regrettably, Soo Jung is too busy with the baby to call him herself. Apparently, he’s a famous actor in Korea and one of the most sought-after bachelors among the ladies. I’ve seen his pictures in their house in Busan, which was just next to Soo Jung’s house, but I never seem to get the timing right when he’s home, or maybe I subconsciously avoid him. Either way, I know one of these days I will meet him and when I do, I know he’s going to show me who’s the boss. Looking at my little family now, Yong Hwa Hyungnim’s anger is all worth it.

 

I sighed as I stared at my beautiful wife and daughter, feeling so happy for finally having my own family. I have always been envious of my Noonas’ families, especially when there are get-togethers and I always end up eating either alone or with my twin sister, Joo Hyun. Or when we go on vacations and everybody has a room or a bed and I always end up on the couch or the floor because I was ‘alone’. I feel lucky too, as the woman that I married doesn’t mind traveling with me for my work. Now, even if I was in a foreign country, when I see my wife and baby, I feel like I’m home.

 

“I love you, Sparkles..”, I told my wife as I kissed her.

 

 

“I love you more, Crinkles..”, she said, kissing me back.

 

I wish Joo Joo-ie gets her own family soon.. I don’t want her to grow old alone..

 

After changing planes for our connecting flight and traveling for a few more hours, we finally landed in Busan. Jong Hyun Hyungnim was already waiting for us in the airport, ready to take us to Soo Jung’s house.

 

 

 

Seo-Jung Soo Jung

“Oppa, you didn’t tell anyone we’re coming home today, did you?”, I asked my cousin as soon as we settled in his car.

 

“Aishhh! How many times do I have to tell you, Soo Jung-ie?! I didn’t tell anyone! Honest. Nobody even noticed I left.. The last time I saw them, they were all engrossed about something on the computer..”, he huffed.

 

“What about? I hope it’s not another scandal involving Yong Yong Oppa.. He’s getting too old for that..”, I continued.

 

“I don’t know because when I checked the monitor, it was blank.. But the girls kept squealing like they were watching a mushy drama or something.. Maybe it’s a new trend in the internet or maybe my eyes just played a trick on me.. I don’t know..”, Jong Hyun Oppa answered, looking confused.

 

“Hyungnim, who’s home right now? Just the girls?”, my husband suddenly asked.

 

“Yes, it’s just the girls.. Don’t worry you’re still safe.. Yong Hwa Hyung is in Jeju right now, last time I heard..”, Jong Hyun Oppa replied, laughing.

 

“Eihhh, I know I’m safe—”

 

“Yes, because Soo Jung-ie and your baby is with you!”, Jong Hyun Oppa cut him off, teasingly.

 

“Yah! Just let Yong Yong Oppa try and hurt my husband and I’ll let him experience what it’s like to give birth through his nose!”, I declared, determined to defend my husband from my cousin.

 

“Ouch!”, said the 2 men in front, both touching their noses while my baby smiled at me in her sleep.

 

 

I knew Yong Yong Oppa was mad at my husband even if he didn’t actually say it outright. There were things that happened that were actually just misunderstandings. We just haven’t had the time to sit down and clear up things as everything happened one after the other while everybody was busy doing their own thing and living their own life. Like me marrying Min Hyuk Oppa before he went into military service. I knew it was in his plans to do his military service after completing his work contract, but I was actually the one who insisted he marry me first. I wanted him to have the motivation to endure military training knowing that he’s doing it for me. I wanted him to set his mind on the fact that he still has me after halting his life for 2 years. However, he wanted me to live my life to the fullest for the 2 years he’s in service. He wanted me to be free and be sure that I’m not missing anything, like my sister and cousins. He wanted me to be sure that he’s not tying me down and later blame him for it. But I knew he was the one, the second I laid my eyes on him.

 

 

When we got home, the only people in the compound were my parents and Jong Hyun Oppa’s. Apparently, Imo took the girls out for dessert after dinner and they still haven’t returned. My parents were thrilled because they get their first grandchild all to themselves without any of the girls interrupting, especially my sister, Eun Ji.

 

As my parents played with our daughter, my husband and I took advantage of the time to get our things settled, indefinitely. Jong Hyun Oppa sat himself on the floor of our bedroom, watched TV, and started eating the hordes of chocolates we bought home for him and the girls. When we were done, my parents brought my daughter back to me so I could change her for the night.

 

“Sparkles, I’m going online to chat for a while with my Noonas and Joo Hyun-ie, okay?”, my husband called-out, calling me by the nickname he gave me when we were still going out. He said I look like a crystal that sparkles when the light hits me.

 

Cheesy, I know.. But it worked because I married him, didn’t I..?

 

“Sure, Crinkles..”, I answered absently, calling him by the nickname I coined for him by the way his eyes crinkles when he smiles, “Oh, it’s the last day of the month today, isn’t it? Is everybody going to be there?”, I continued, remembering that he and his sisters chat online either the 1st day of the month or the last, just to catch up. My husband’s family is so close with each other and so unique that they have these quirky little things they do that sometimes only they understand. One of the many reasons, that made me love my husband even more.

 

“Looks like it.. Everyone’s online now.. Give me Min Jung-ie..”, he requested, motioning for me to hand over our daughter.

 

The next minute, we heard these high-pitched squeals coming from my husband’s laptop. My husband’s sisters were all online, already chatting when we joined them. They squealed when they saw their only brother’s baby on the monitor, which made Jong Hyun Oppa stand up and peek at the monitor, followed by my sister and cousins who, for the first time in their entire life, didn’t make a sound while entering our bedroom for fear that their baby niece might be sleeping.

 

All of a sudden, my husband’s twin sister, Joo Hyun Eonni, gave a little squeak and was gone from the monitor for a second. Her screen shook for a bit before it showed us how she dived to the far end of a bed to get to something.

 

“Is that a baby?!”, I heard someone ask.

 

The next thing we knew, the blanket on the opposite side of the bed from where Joo Hyun Eonni was sitting started to move up which earned a collective gasp from everybody in our bedroom. It uncovered a familiar-looking man who was apparently sleeping there. The man then swiftly moved and sat himself beside Joo Hyun Eonni, checked the baby between them and when he was satisfied, put his arm around Joo Hyun Eonni’s shoulder. The little girl then started to wave at us, smiling, which made Joo Hyun Eonni and the man turn in our direction.

 

“YAH! WHO IS THAT?!”, shouted my husband, clearly shocked at the scene unfolding before us.

 

 

 

Seo Joo Hyun

Carp! What have I done?! Is it too late to push Yong Oppa off the bed and dive for cover, myself?! – What about Cherisse, then? Push her under the bed?! Seriously, Seo Joo Hyun! – Aishhh! You’re not helping!

 

We, Yong Oppa and I, sat there unmoving, still looking at the people making huge gestures at the monitor, while clearly shouting at us. The headset must have turned the laptop towards our direction when I accidentally pulled it, trying to get to Cherisse before she fell off the bed. Thank God it did not get disconnected or our ears would be bleeding by now judging from the way my Eonnies’ mouths were moving.

 

“Who are all those people, Hyun? They all seem familiar..”, Yong Oppa asked me, straining to see the faces of the people in my monitor.

 

“Familiar? How? I don’t think you’ve met any one of them.. They’re my extended family.. You know, sisters and their husbands and kids and brother and his wife, daughter, and her cousins.. Did I forget anyone..? Oiii, this is going to be a long introduction..”, I grimaced, dismayed at how everything turned out.

 

“It’s alright, Hyun.. I’ll accept all the consequences..”, he reassured me, smiling.

 

“Are you sure? They can be harsh sometimes and I don’t even have any idea what my brother will say to you.. I’m sorry about this, Oppa..”, I said, apologizing for the scolding he’s surely going to get from my Eonnies.

 

“Eihhh.. This is my fault actually.. I shouldn’t have slept here.. I’m guessing you haven’t told them anything about u—our situation yet, have you? Imagine their shock the second I got up from the bed, AFTER they saw a baby with you..”, he mused, chuckling to himself. I sighed.

 

We got up and sat on the sofa with Cherrise sitting on each of our leg. Yong Oppa gestured for me to turn the laptop around and take off the headset so we can get it over with.

 

“Fighting, Hyun!”, he encouraged me while I just gave him a weak smile and kept hesitating between turning it around or just closing the screen, shutting off my laptop altogether.

 

Eihhh! That will just prolong the inevitable and just create more misunderstanding! Just face them now and explain yourself, Seo Joo Hyun. Fighting!

 

I took off the headset first and a cacophony of sound blasted from the built-in speaker of my laptop which made Cherisse jump in surprise.

 

“YAH! SEO JOO HYUN, WHO IS THAT WITH YOU?!”

 

“IS THAT A BABY?!”

 

“WHO IS THAT MAN WITH YOU, SEO JOO HYUN?!”

 

“DID YOU GET MARRIED WITHOUT TELLING US?!”

 

“WHO’S BABY IS THAT, TELL US THE TRUTH?!”

 

“OH, MY GOD! IS THAT WHY YOU DIDN’T GO HOME FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS NOW?! BECAUSE YOU GOT MARRIED AND HAD A BABY?!”

 

“YOU’RE SO DEAD, IF THAT’S THE CASE!”

 

“YAH! SEO JOO HYUN, CONFESS NOW!”

 

“YOU DIDN’T EVEN INTRODUCE HIM TO US FIRST BEFORE YOU HAD A BABY WITH HIM?!”

 

“HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO US?!”

 

“YOU KEPT IT A SECRET ALL THIS TIME?!”

 

“YAH! WHERE ARE YOU?! WE CAN’T SEE YOU?!”

 

“ARE YOU GUYS KISSING, IS THAT WH—”

 

That did it. I turned the laptop around and was adjusting the screen, so they can see us clearly, as I started the introductions.

 

“Everybody, this is—”

 

“JUNG YONG HWA?!”, they all shouted in unison.

 

HUH?!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter