Connected

A Second Chance - The Story

He blinked slowly, once then twice. He was a lot taller than when she used to know him, his jawline now sharper, nearly appealing. Quickly regaining herself, she turned away, took a step back and pulled off the headband that had started whatever it was that just happened. 

Shoving it back into his hands, she exclaimed, "I don't want it." 

Staring at her a little confused, he then turned to Soo Ae with a quick, comforting smile in order not to hurt her feelings. Looking off into the distance Namjoo spotted a family of four kids and two parents greeting the eldest son who'd just gotten off the roller coaster. 

"What can we do? Your mom doesn't seem to like it," Sehun spoke to Soo Ae behind her, "lets put it back and come back for it later if you really want it, hmm?" 

"Ok." Her daughter gave in and reluctantly pulling off the headband handed it to him to put it back on the shelf. 

Slightly filled with guilt Namjoo turned to look at Soo Ae, "Lets go look for the children's rides. I bet you really want to see how scary it is." 

Soo Ae broadly smiled baring her upper teeth and grabbed her hand then Sehun's, "I'm just happy I'm spending today with you two. Thanks Uncle Se-Se, for bringing us out. Mommy doesn't know how to have fun, so lets teach her today." 

"We will," Sehun smiled gripping her small hand in return. 

It didn't take very long to discover the children's area. All the rides were occupied to the max. Some families were pushing children in carts, others waiting for their siblings or child to complete the rides. The screams here were just as unbearable as at the roller coasters. A few of the children wept on the rides and walked off shakily into their parents' arms. 

They watched Soo Ae join the line and stood off to the side to watch her encouragingly. When Soo Ae reached the gate to enter the ride she turned back to glance at them. In return she and Sehun waved to her. Unexpectedly, Namjoo felt at the bottom of her heart that Soo Ae was no longer a crying baby but now a girl about to venture off on her own adventures. It made her a little sad, yet she was proud. 

Once the ride started rumbling Namjoo felt her heart leap forward. She wasn't really sure whether Soo Ae would end up crying on the mini-coaster or if she'd enjoy the thrill of it. Her eyes quickly caught up with the box Soo Ae was sitting in and caught her laughing and screaming. 

Her Soo Ae was definitely a brave one. 

Smiling, Namjoo raised her arm up to wave at her. They patiently waited for the ride to end before Soo Ae came running toward them breathlessly. 

"It was so scary!" She exclaimed. 

"Oh yea?" Sehun replied. "Do you still want to go on another one?" 

Heavily breathing, she nodded. With Soo Ae jumping ahead they followed and one after another ride, Soo Ae continued running around. They finally got on a parachute ride together, but with all the spinning Sehun and Soo Ae did Namjoo got off on the verge of vomiting. While she sat at some bench near some tree they hurried off to buy snacks. Almost twenty minutes passed before they came running back with nachos, fries, corn dogs, and soda. 

Namjoo gobbled up the food peacefully while Sehun and Soo Ae stole from each other, just as they always did wherever they ate. The sun continued beating down on them and they continued listening to the various music echoing off the rides. 

"Should we go on more rides?" Sehun questioned Soo Ae after dumping the trash away. "If you can do two more, then I have a really big surprise for you later." 

"I can ride everything! Uncle's the scaredy cat!" Soo Ae shouted.

"We'll see about that." He murmured. 

"Mommy, you come too!" Soo Ae turned to her as they walked through an underpass. 

Namjoo shook her head, "You two have fun. I'm feeling sick from all the motion." 

"You don't look like the sensitive type," Sehun glanced at her. 

Namjoo sent him a short glare, but Soo Ae laughed and pulled them along. In the end they came across bumper cars. 

"Soo Ae, come over here," Sehun called out. 

Running from her side Soo Ae joined Sehun at a height measuring bar. When Namjoo turned to head over Soo Ae was standing by the bar with Sehun currently measuring her.

"You have this much more go to then you'll be able to ride," Sehun explained placing his hands along the measuring lines. "Should we measure your mom too?" 

He glanced at her with a mischievous smile and Namjoo immediately glared at him. When he laughed she wanted to chuck something at him. 

"You're riding with me." Namjoo held her hand out. 

"You sure about that?" Sehun asked. "Your mommy doesn't know how to drive."

Soo Ae glanced from her to him, the music echoing through the speakers overplaying the background while she waited for her daughter to choose. Namjoo barely uttered a heavy breath of irritation when Soo Ae grabbed Sehun's hand.

"Come on, mom," Sehun tempted as they turned to enter. 

She felt her eyebrow twitch as she followed. Once the ride started Sehun and Soo Ae immediately targeted her, letting out whoops of joy whenever they hit her car. Twisting and turning her wheel she chased after them vigorously, but in the end she received more hits than she gave. They played around some more before Sehun led them into a restaurant hidden along the outskirts of the park. The fans inside helped cool them off and finally allowing her feet to relax felt like melting into the chair. 

"I'm so hungry again," Soo Ae exclaimed when the waiter placed menus onto the table.

"Then lets eat up before we play some more," Sehun said. "Eat all you want, tab's on me." 

"Really..." Namjoo turned away from the window with a view of the walkway outside and the giant Ferris Wheel in the distance.   

"This is what your daughter means by telling you you don't know how to have fun." 

Namjoo shot him a frown, "What does that have to do with this?" 

"Order something mom," Soo Ae cut in, "they have your favorite seafood here too. Look!" 

Namjoo glanced at a picture Soo Ae was pointing to before turning to see Sehun smiling. She almost felt irritated at the sight of it. 

"We'll get that for your picky mom then," Sehun told before leaning over. "What do you want to eat, Soo Ae?" 

"Sehun," Namjoo pressed, but he ignored her by immersing into talk with Soo Ae over whether she should eat this or that. 

After completing their orders Soo Ae turned to look at her, "Aren't you having fun, mommy? Remember it's my birthday, so don't be picky and just have fun."

"Ok, I know," Namjoo replied then leaned over to rub Soo Ae's head. "Then you better eat all your food."

Their food arrived not too long after and while digging in hungrily Namjoo and Soo Ae turned surprised when a chorus starting singing happy birthday. A freshly creamed cake with a little girl on top as decoration slowly approached the table as the medley got louder. A smile lit up Namjoo's face when she noticed how elated Soo Ae was, her eyes drooling over the first cake she would have in her life. Cheery laughter applauded their table and she watched Soo Ae hug the life out of Sehun.

The way Soo Ae squealed over the cake made Namjoo grin from ear to ear. 

"It's so good!" Soo Ae exclaimed upon first bite, kicking her legs under the table.
 
The way she turned to tell her about how the cake tasted brought absolute joy to her. Her daughter was so jolly with eyes big and a grin on her lips at all times. 

Today was definitely Soo Ae's day.       

After filling up they ran throughout the park some more, went on the Merry-go-round, the giant Ferris Wheel where they overlooked the whole park in awe as they made their way up, and on a water ride screaming as they hit the curves and drops. Sehun even purchased a picture of them screaming on the ride to gift Soo Ae despite her telling him not to.

On the drive back home Soo Ae knocked out in the backseat, clutching the picture to her chest, her head drooping off to the side. To make sure she slept well Sehun turned off the radio and drove slowly. The sun was more than halfway down the sky which told her that they'd spent a good whole day at the amusement park. Tonight, Soo Ae would sleep really well.  

"It's your first time, isn't it?" Sehun started quietly.  

Namjoo glanced at him.  

"At the park," he finished.  

Turning away Namjoo shifted in her seat and rested her head into the head cushion.

"It's a shame you didn't get to go on the big rides," he said.

"I never really cared about it," Namjoo murmured, and it was the truth. 

"But you had fun, right?"

Eyes landing on the clumped up trees as they drove along the highway she softly answered, "It was fun." 

When they got back the sky was a shady blue, the light slowly dimming out as night crept in. Stepping out Namjoo realized that like her daughter, her body was in need of some good rest as well.

"I'll bring Soo Ae," Namjoo told as she opened the back door. 

Opening the opposite door, Sehun claimed, "I'll do it." 

Quick to unbuckle the seatbelt he gently urged Soo Ae into his arms, beating her to it before shutting the door. Namjoo stared their way, reluctantly giving in to his stubborness and headed into the building to unlock the door for them. Once inside, she watched from the doorway as Sehun tucked Soo Ae into their bed. She expected him to leave after he finished, but he dropped down on the couch looking as relaxed as if he was in his own home. Namjoo stared down at him sprawled back tiredly. 

"Let me rest a bit," he was fast to excuse, knowing she would say something. 

Refraining from complaining Namjoo, too, sat down and leaned against the arm rest. 

"Thanks for today," she said. "I know Soo Ae won't ever forget it."

"I'm jealous." 

Lifting her eyes up from the floor surprised at what she wasn't expecting to hear, she turned to look at him. 

"When I see you loving her unconditionally, I want to do it too." He started, sounding awed. "You make it seem so special, and it's the way Soo Ae is happy around you that makes it even more special. And I find myself thinking, 'Whoa...this person I used to know who had nothing suddenly has it all.' You're...really grown up." 

Turning to lock eyes with her he smiled, "I admire you. You always do things I want to do." 

Namjoo wasn't sure if he was flattering her or not. Sehun...was weird. 

Leaning back into the couch she reminisced, "When I first picked her up, she must have been afraid of me; always crying, fussing, and never slept. I feel sorry, because Soo Ae never got to drink milk. She must have been calling for her mother, but after a while I got this baby crawling around. Eventually, she started calling me mom. That word mom, I never thought about how special it made me feel. I live for that word."

Suddenly feeling like laughing she turned back to him, "You can't copy me. Do you think Soo Ae will ever call you mom?"

The corner of his lips climbed up with a snort. 

"Go build your own family," Namjoo felt the urge to laugh dissipate, "have your own kids."

*****

Sehun twisted and turned in his bed that night. He could feel it down to his very bones that he was tired, but he couldn't shut his eyes for some sleep. When he thought about how Namjoo told him to get his own life, have his own family, he had no idea where to start. He always envied her for being capable and gutsy enough to do things he would never do. 

For God knows, if he ever saw an abandoned baby in an alley he'd wouldn't pick the baby up and raise it. He'd fear the consequences, the difficulties that came with raising a child. He wouldn't have the guts like Namjoo. Sehun wouldn't have raised someone else's child, love it like his own. Yet, Namjoo had done it so well, and look at Soo Ae. A happy, go-lucky daughter running around healthily. 

If he were to have his own family he'd want his children to be like Soo Ae, but he didn't know how to raise one to be like her, disciplined, polite, considerate, and caring. He didn't know how to do it. 

When he climbed down the stairs the next morning he discovered his father eating a lone breakfast in the kitchen. It was a shock to Sehun, because his mother was always around. Especially with Eun Bi in the house, no meal went without their presence. 

"Where's mom?" He asked sitting down. 

"Said she and Eun Bi had important business to attend." As if his presence was the least important, his father never raised his head to look his way. 

"Really?" Sehun went on then stood. "Then I guess I'll go out too." 

"Where are you going?!" His father shouted after him. "Is everyone planning to leave me alone this morning?!"

If it was like this he'd be able to slip out easily. It was breakfast at Namjoo's, he decided. 

*****

She was angry, beyond shocked that Sehun was having an affair with a widowed mother. How embarrassing! If relatives asked after her how much shame they would have to carry! 

Sehun's mother had to see this woman for herself. Just how great she was to be able to manipulate her son. Was she that desperate? 

No, this couldn't happen. She wouldn't let Sehun's reputation or future get tarnished. He had to save himself for only Eun Bi, her daughter-in-law. Her son Sehun was an innocent boy who'd probably never even had his first kiss. How could such innocence be taken by this mere stranger? And a woman who had her own child at that!

She would have to give this woman a piece of her mind, let her know her place in society because how dare she touch her son?!

"They live here," Eun Bi explained stepping onto the walk and pointed up to the second floor.  

"Here?!" The woman exclaimed. 

Her eyes widened over the familiar area. She was flabbergasted, shocked even more to the extreme. Speechless words fluttered down and she gasped loudly. Irritability flamed through her as Eun Bi led her up to the second floor. Every step of the way her heart pounded louder and louder.                         
                                 
"Are you kidding me?!" She sneered underneath her breath.    

"What is it, mother?"  

Her face contorted, twisting up into both anger and vexation. Pausing in her steps before going any further she asked, "Which room is it?"  

"206 mother."  

The woman tightened her grip around her bag and gritted her teeth.  

"Sehun, you irresponsible brat!" She raged underneath her breath. "You dare give away your deceased grandfather's apartment to some ?!"  

*****

Namjoo had just awoken and was digging through the fridge for some meat and vegetables for morning soup. Soo Ae would be up soon and she wanted to have breakfast ready before then. As soon as she started boiling the ingredients into a pan on the stove the doorbell rang.  

She wondered if it was Tao at first, but then recalled that harvesting usually took to half a week. Plus, he'd make sure his mother had her crops up for sale at the market. Then perhaps, Sehun?  

Ditching the kitchen in case Soo Ae would wake up from the noise, she opened the door. Everything evaporated from her mind when she saw a flushed woman in her forties with fine makeup on standing on her doorstep. Behind her, a young woman who looked fresh without age. The strong eyes behind her side swept bangs had Namjoo deeming her not-so-innocent.

"Yes?" Namjoo greeted. "How can I help you?" 

Words caught in when the older woman suddenly shoved her way in, forcing her aside. The younger woman followed and peered around.

Leaving the door she walked in after them, curious about who her intruders were, "Who are you? Why are you in my home?"  

The older woman snorted, "Home. Whose home do you really think this is?"  

Innocently blinking, Namjoo ran her eyes over them once more. Something was familiar...

"Hey you," the younger woman started, "you better watch your words."  

"Enough Eun Bi, don't talk to her. I'll do it." the older woman hushed her gently and stepped toward Namjoo.  

There was a mounting silence growing between them and Namjoo felt nothing but negativity and tension from the woman.  

What the heck was going on?  

"You," the woman started, "pack up right now and leave."


***It's slowly starting!!!