Responding to You

A Second Chance - The Story

The door suddenly opened and Soo Ae innocently poked her head in mischievously, "Are you guys done yet?"

Namjoo turned her face away to keep her panicked expression out of sight.

"What's wrong?" Soo Ae worried.

"It's nothing. We'll be out in a second, go downstairs first if you're finished getting dressed." Sehun assured quite persuasively.

Nodding, Soo Ae ran her eyes over them once more before doing as told. Once the door clicked Namjoo barely collapsed. Once more she tried pushing him away, but Sehun decided to keep his grip.

"I said let..." she started turning to him.

"I," he cut her off, "won’t hurt you. I’m your husband, you know that. Don’t you?”

In an attempt to hold her mentality together, she tightened her lips together. His grip wasn’t forceful and she could tell they had no intention of hurting her. His fingers had the slightest strength in them, just brushing her arms.

“Listen to me,” he said, “I told you before that I’d protect you and Soo Ae, I’ll keep my word on that. Namjoo, for things to work, I need you to understand I won’t do anything you don’t like. Do you think you can trust me, even if it’s just a little bit? As Soo Ae’s guardian, her father, and your husband.”

Slowly raising her eyes up to look at him she only stared. Thoughts rambled on at the back of her head, but none of them were standard consciously.

Sehun was good, he was always good. Namjoo knew that, but it was hard. That was all. It was hard. She could trust Soo Ae in his hands, but she was just a child and didn’t know anything. Namjoo was her own person, an adult with priorities and her own mind. Opening up, allowing herself to fall into him wasn’t something she could easily do nor was it something she desired.

“Ok, I know,” she answered looking away.

They were still, quiet as if absorbing the gentle tension in the air. Her heart pounced again when he slid his fingers to brush her hair behind her ear. It wasn’t the kind of heart thump that read of fear. In that moment Namjoo became aware that he was trying to show affection.

“I’ll be outside with Soo Ae,” he said before hurrying out of the room.

*****

Sehun’s heart was racing. It was only when he reached the stairs that he realized he was sweating from anxiety. Namjoo’s little breakdown had scared him more than he liked to admit. The words said hadn’t come out easily either. A lot of courage had been used to say them. Sehun would have said more, but he’d been too embarrassed to, even though Namjoo barely looked at him while he spoke.

The fact that he wanted to tell her he wanted them to be comfortable with each other was too embarrassing to say. He’d wanted to say they could try to be friends before getting closer, but he couldn’t muster the strength to. And he hadn’t meant to touch her afterward like that, his hand had just moved by itself.

After Namjoo came out they were on the road, one of the routines he would miss when she would start staying at home with his mom. To be honest, he was more worried than nervous about it. His mother, as ferocious as she was, hadn’t been merciful with Namjoo. He’d thought his mother might change her mindset, patiently teach Namjoo when she entered the family, but he’d been so wrong about it. His mother was just as stubborn at trying to maintain Eun Bi’s golden spot as he was with keeping Namjoo.

For even the slightest moment, he wanted Namjoo to accompany him as he sent Soo Ae to daycare in the mornings. Then when his shift ended, would pick Soo Ae up and then Namjoo. There would be none of that once she officially resigned from work to a fate that upset her.

Sehun didn’t know what he could do to at least make it up to her. Namjoo was probably having a hard time, but with their relationship stretched he wasn’t sure how to go about it.

“Are we going to have a baby in the family?” Soo Ae asked from the backseat.

His eyes quickly shot a glance at Namjoo, wondering if she would answer or if he should. Then on impulse, said, “There isn’t going to be a baby.” He hoped saying that would comfort Namjoo a little. If she didn’t like him touching her, he didn’t think they would go any further than just sitting together.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, we’re sure.” Sehun replied with a smile as he glanced into the rearview mirror.

“But I want a little brother,” Soo Ae said, “maybe a sister would be ok, too. Huh, mommy? Everyone else I know has a brother or sister, why not me?”

Sehun didn’t know how to console her, tell her he and Namjoo would probably never have a child together.

“Because you’re all we need,” Namjoo turned back to look at her, “you’re all mommy needs.”

And Sehun didn’t dismiss the fact that whenever Namjoo mentioned Soo Ae, she always made it sound as if Soo Ae was only solely hers.

*****

Eun Bi was back in the house that evening. She was honestly afraid that if she missed a moment of being in that house, Sehun and Namjoo would do something. She was disturbed at the mention of a baby.

Sehun couldn’t…not with Namjoo.

Eun Bi shook her head as she paced the living room. She had to do something. Everything made her so anxious. Especially with the way Sehun had questioned if Namjoo had had a good night’s sleep. What had he meant? Was she not feeling well? Or was there another meaning behind the question?

She hated how anything relating to Sehun shook her up so bad. Not only had he been taken from her, but his dignity was going to be stolen by that disgusting woman. There had to be something she could do.

Then she thought of how her girlfriends had gossiped about a woman who’d easily seduced a married man, even causing his divorce. They were happily together now. Married men always got bored after getting tied down. Not only once, but twice they would go out to seek the company of younger, more beautiful women to be with.

That was right. In no time, Sehun would get bored of Namjoo. That witch had no life to her. She didn’t even seem to know him well. Not an ounce of sincerity could be sensed from her. Whenever she and Sehun were together, they looked like two people put together at a blind date – a failure of a date.

Eun Bi slightly laughed to herself. If she remained patient a while longer he would realize her worth, come to her. She would be ready with open arms, but before that would happen she needed to prevent Sehun and Namjoo from sleeping together. They couldn’t have a baby, would never have one! She wouldn’t let it happen.

The front door opened and she immediately turned with a wide smile, expecting to see Sehun. Instead his father glanced at her, shoved the door close, and slipped his shoes off.

“Father, you’re home,” she brightly greeted. Lately, she thought, he seemed to have become estranged from her. Now he seemed closer to his daughter-in-law.

“Where’s your Aunt?”

“Mother said she’d drop by the store for some fresh groceries and told me to wait here. I brought over some pastries I baked, would you like to have some?”

“No, I’m fine. I’m not into sweets,” he began to turn then stopped, “why don’t you come into my office?”

Eun Bi raised her brow curious. What would he have to say to her that he’d invite her into his office for?

She followed him, watched him set his hat down, and comb his hand through his hair.

“My mother says you’ll weaken your roots if you continue to do that,” Eun Bi told, “it must be a bad habit, huh father?”

“I’m going to go bald any time soon anyway,” he leaned back into his seat with a fitful sigh. “Eun Bi.”

“Yes, father?”

“Why don’t you sit first?”

She did as told. “I never realized before how small your office really is. It always looked so much bigger from outside.”

“Yes, it is,” he agreed kindly, “I’ve got interesting books about the whole world. Borrow some sometime, if you’d like.”

“I think I’d like to do that.” Eun Bi smiled cheerily.

Sehun’s father smiled back. He looked just like Sehun with those eyes and that smile. An older refined version. Eun Bi wondered if Sehun might someday look like that when he got older.

“Have you ever considered going abroad to further your studies?” Sehun’s father suggested. “There’s so much to see and do, so many people to meet. Who knows, maybe even one day meet someone special.”

The cheeriness Eun Bi had come with threatened to fade, but she fought to remain upbeat. “Yes, I’ve considered, but I’d like much to settle down first. I’d like to have a family…”

“Eun Bi,” he calmly cut her off, even seemed kind when doing so, “there’s so much to explore, so much you can do out there than stay here like this. Getting married isn’t everything.” He shook his head and Eun Bi knew exactly what he was trying to get at.

“Even so, I’d like to get married.”

He smiled again and she saw Sehun’s face embedded into his. “Sure, if that’s what you really want, but you can’t stay around here like this. Sehun has already started his life. He has a child and pretty wife. Eun Bi, I know you two had a special relationship when you were kids, but Sehun can’t stay there anymore nor can you. Do you get what I’m saying?”

Eun Bi pressed her lips together. Deep inside she was boiling with anger and felt offended.

“We always enjoyed having you around. You’re just like a daughter we never had,” he kindly finished, “I know how you feel about Sehun and I’m really sorry to say this, but I’d like it if you stop coming around. It would be better for all of us.”

The disappointment and pain swirling through her stung her eyes with tears. She fought to held them back, because she didn’t want to shed them in front of Sehun’s father. Gripping her hand into a fist she sought for words to say, but actually didn’t know what to tell him. At the sound of the back door opening she suddenly stood to her feet.

“It looks like mother’s home. I should be going to help with dinner.” Eun Bi stated then turned to walk out, closing the door after her. The moment she entered the kitchen the tears despicably rolled down her cheeks. Immediately hurrying toward Sehun’s mother she wrapped her arms around the woman.

“Eun Bi, what’s wrong?” She patted her back. “Don’t cry. Calm down and tell me what’s wrong.”

Stepping back Eun Bi wiped the tears off her face sniffing. “I was told not to come here anymore.”

“Who said that to you?” Becoming gruff, Sehun’s mother’s eyes intently watched her.

Eun Bi shook her head, wiped the tears again. “Mother, why did you tell Sehun to have another baby? You didn’t mean it, did you?”

Wrapping an arm around her, Sehun’s mother led her to sit down at the table. Pulling out a seat, she joined her. Wrapping hands around Eun Bi’s face, she said with her soft spoken voice, “Absolutely not. There is no way that will happen. I only said it to scare them, Eun Bi. Don’t you worry. You’re the only one who will have my grandchildren.”

“Really?”

She nodded. “Anyone can see that that girl isn’t suitable for Sehun. He’s all eyes for her, but I know she doesn’t care about him one bit. That’s why I can’t have her around. She will never be able to take care of Sehun as well as you do. I can promise you that when I can get him to turn around, you’re the only one who’s welcome into the family.”

*****

“You’re finally home,” his mother greeted them when they walked in.

“Dinner’s ready so early?” Sehun asked closing the door after them.

“Of course, Eun Bi and I worked hard to make sure it was prepared by the time you returned. Since your wife is so tired from work, you’d want her to rest.” Namjoo didn’t miss the sneer his mother sent her along with the glare.

“Mom, Namjoo’s trying her best.”

“Yes, she is. I can certainly see it.” His mother spoke theatrically, her voice highlighted with mock.

Namjoo had the urge to roll her eyes. They were interrupted when Sehun’s father entered the kitchen and Soo Ae quickly ran into his arms for a hug.

“My little girl’s home. Did you have fun today at the daycare?” He asked, her head with affection. The sight was beautiful. Happiness exuded from the pair so strongly.

“Yes, grandpa today we did some painting. I painted the house and drew you and mommy and daddy and grandma.”

Smiling, Namjoo turned away from them back to Sehun’s mother and Eun Bi. “Let me change. I’ll be back down to help set the table.”

“Oh, don’t you worry about that.” Her voice, icey, stated. “We’ll take care of all that.”

Namjoo only glanced at the woman once before turning to head off. She really couldn’t take women sometimes. They were always highly dramatic. Sehun’s mother and Eun Bi were both under that category.

*****

“I’ll be back. I’m going to stop by the restroom,” Eun Bi excused herself and left the kitchen.

“She must be exhausted,” his mother sympathized then turned to him, “she was crying earlier. You have to be nice to her today, do you hear me?”

Sehun couldn’t help but sigh.

“Go on and watch some TV,” his father patted Soo Ae’s back and watched her along before calling over to him, “Sehun, come see me.”

Glad for the diversion, Sehun turned to follow him. After closing the door to the office he slunk down into the chair, waited for his father to seat himself.

“What is it?” Sehun asked.

“About Eun Bi,” his father began, “I told her not to come around anymore. I know your mother is still on her side, but it’s not right to have her around. You’re married and you have Soo Ae. What will my daughter-in-law think of you? I won’t have you mistreating her.”

“I don’t intend to.”

“Good.” He nodded. “I think you should make it clear to Eun Bi that whatever you two had is now over. It looks like she’s still hoping to spark something with you.”

Sehun would have been flabbergasted, but he had a hunch he’d known what Eun Bi’s ordeal was. “I know.”

“You know?” His father repeated, as if he’d replied wrongly. “If you know, you should do something about it!”

“I’ve tried, dad,” Sehun explained himself, “I’ve told her we’re just friends. I want to be good to Soo Ae and Namjoo too, but I can’t help it if mom keeps letting her in.”

“Then you should be more determined about it,” his father merely emphasized it so loud the room shook along with his voice.

“All right, I’ll figure out something,” Sehun gave his word.

When he began to get up, his father stopped him, “Are you and Namjoo planning on having another baby?”

It felt like a bombshell just crashed into him. He stared at his dad with widened eyes.

“I…we…no.” He stuttered. “I don’t think we’re ready for it.”

“Well, I think you should consider it. No, I think it’ll be better if you two have another baby,” his father told. “It’ll settle your mother and before we get any older, I’d like to hold another grandchild in my arms.”

*****

Namjoo turned at the knock of the door expecting to see Sehun, but when it opened Eun Bi poked her head inside. It confused her about why she’d be up here and in their room.

“Yes?” Namjoo asked staring at her. She watched Eun Bi cautiously walk inside, pause in front of the door. It was almost as if she were saying that she wouldn’t be able to escape, would have to listen to her, whether she was planning to scream insults at her or not.

“I just…I just...” the girl twisted her fingers together nervously.

Watching her fiddle with her fingers made Namjoo wonder what it was she actually wanted. She had nothing to give the girl.

“Do you love Sehun?”

Now Namjoo’s attention was perked. She stared at the girl even more seriously, trying to measure her out.

“I love him,” she said almost quietly, her eyes glued to the carpet before finally raising them up to confidently stare into hers. In that moment, Namjoo felt like she was standing in a ring with the girl. Sehun, their trophy.

Namjoo didn’t know what to say.

“If you don’t love him, you should let him go right now,” Eun Bi stated. “It’ll be easier for you if you let him go now. Sehun promised me he’d marry me, but you came along with your kid and ruined it all. If you need some money, I’ll lend you some, but not Sehun. Mother says she can see you don’t care about him. If that’s true, I’m going to win him back.” There was another moment of silence. “I just wanted to tell you that. And I’ll still stick around until you leave him.”

She turned to leave, closing the door after her. Dumbfounded, Namjoo found herself standing glued in spot. Her mind was blank and she didn’t know what she was actually feeling. She was uncertain about how long she stood there until Soo Ae ran up to get her to go down for dinner.

At the table, Eun Bi cheerfully talked with Sehun’s mother – their usual banter – and Namjoo found herself staring.

That night after putting Soo Ae to bed and Sehun went in for his shower, she remained sitting in bed with the pillow propped up at her back. Running her eyes over the drawers in the room, she realized she was really seeing everything for the first time. Here, everything belonged to both her and Sehun equally. This was their room, but Eun Bi had stepped into it. Namjoo winced when she realized that the fact bothered her.

“What are you doing?” Sehun’s voice caught her attention. “Why are you sitting up like that?”

The bed leveled down when he drew the covers aside and got under the blanket. In the next moment she found them sitting up side by side, staring at the dresser ahead as if it were the television set.

“It’s kind of empty, huh?” Sehun asked. “I should buy a TV, so we can watch late night shows. It’ll serve as a reason to stay up here and we can avoid my mother. She nags a lot these days.”

“That’s an idea,” Namjoo commented quietly.

“Is it?” Sehun asked.

“Say,” Namjoo began, “that Eun Bi. Did you grow up with her?”

“Hmm?” He turned to look at her, stretched his toes out, then turned back to staring at their imaginary TV. “Yes. She’s always been my neighbor so long as I remember. What about her?”

Yes indeed, what about her?

She’d sounded so determined with that look of complete confidence in her eye that she would be able to win Sehun over. That young pretty thing. Perhaps, Namjoo reasoned, she did know Sehun a lot more than she herself did. They’d grown up together, whereas she’d only dated Sehun for a matter of time then coincidentally met him again later down the road. Well, maybe not coincidentally. Namjoo didn’t know what she’d call it, but it was definitely, definitely not a of fate that brought them back together.

From lovers to strangers and to who knows what their relationship was now.

“How come you’re not married to her?” The words bled out of her lips.

A cold silence washed over them. Pressing her lips firmly together in wait for the answer she was unknowingly anticipating, Namjoo tried not to look at him. If she looked anxious, she didn’t want him to see.

“I don’t like her.” Sehun answered. “Never did.” 


***Did I tell you how my laptop broke on me and that my sis-in-law and brother got me another laptop? Instead of the crummy decade year old slow computer I've been using, I now have Word again /sobbing/ I can photoshop again and write comfortably! And now since I'm finishing up my freelance work, I have some time on my hands. Was listening to one of the songs I made as OST for this story and suddenly thought I should update cause everybody loves HunJoo, right? ^^