Sehun's Side

A Second Chance - The Story

A twisted smile of bitter confusion spread onto her face. Namjoo said defensively, "Excuse me, but I think there's a misunderstanding here." 

"Misunderstanding?" The woman repeated unhappily. "I don't think so." 

Namjoo's brow twitched, irritation slowly coaxing her patience. 

"This is offensive, you're trespassing into my home," Namjoo began, "I'm going to talk to the office downstairs. Why don't you come with me?" 

The woman grabbed her arm when she started by and shoved her back roughly. As if receiving the rage through her touch, Namjoo decided she could no longer tolerate them in her home. 

"You really want to try me?" The woman hissed. "Then lets go and see whose name this place is filed under. It's even better if the cops get involved, then you'll know who you're messing with."

Namjoo imaginatively stepped back upon the threat. She didn't want to get involved with the cops. 

"What do you want?" 

"I want you to leave." The woman came on strong. "Immediately." 

Namjoo barely snorted. 

"And," she added, "break up with my son. How dare some allow herself to latch onto my son so shamelessly. You baited him with your child, because you wanted money. Before my insolent son gets any more involved with you, you better leave first." 

Blood boiled inside her, even her heart was pumping in anger. 

"How dare you accuse me?" Namjoo started. "You should be embarrassed for forcing your way into my home and spitting nonsense at my feet."

An offended gasp depleted the woman's lungs. 

"You dare talk back to my mother?!" Eun Bi stepped forward. "Take back your dirty words right now!"

Turning her attention to the young woman Namjoo fought to withhold a glare.

Holding her arm out the woman pulled Eun Bi back, "The trash is not worth talking to." 

Namjoo released a loud snort, "I really can't differentiate between who's the trash here." 

She watched Eun Bi's eyes go wide, as if just sprayed with an insult she hadn't expected. 

"How dare you!" The woman scolded. "Do you know who you're talking to?! This woman here is going to be my son's wife!" 

Namjoo traced her eyes over Eun Bi and shamelessly commented, "Really? She doesn't look any better than me." 

Eun Bi's eyes widened and painful rage trembled across the woman's face. Namjoo felt like laughing, but it quickly disappeared when the bedroom door opened and Soo Ae stepped out rubbing her eyes. 

"Mommy..." 

Surprised, Namjoo quickly stepped forward to shield her from the women. 

"Who are they?" Soo Ae questioned peeking out from behind her to glance the women over. "Are they your friends?" 

"Is that the daughter you used to bait my son?" The older woman asked. "How cute she is, but how sad her fate is to be born to a mother like you." 

"Take back your words!" Namjoo warned, she wasn't about to have Soo Ae listen to these despicable people. "Soo Ae go into your room." 

"My mommy is a great person and prettier than you!" Soo Ae retorted. 

"Like mother, like daughter," the woman cussed. "Both disgraceful. How horrid."

"Your words are ugly like you!" Soo Ae snapped in return. 

The older woman's eyes erupted before she started shouting, "How dare you talk back! Did your mother teach you to argue with your elders! What kind of shams did you two come from? Where is your father, brat? Apologize right now!" 

Soo Ae grasped onto her leg in fear. 

Gripping her hand into a fist Namjoo demanded angrily, "No, my daughter will not apologize for the truth. You apologize to us. How dare you come here and create a ruckus? Without evidence, how dare you accuse me of having an affair with your son? If he's so great have him come here. I'd like very much to know who he is." 

"Piece of scum," Namjoo thought she heard one of them mutter and immediately cupped her hands over Soo Ae's ears protectively. 

"Are you sure you want to play stupid till the end?" Eun Bi argued. "You know my husband-to-be very well. I know you're just jealous and you want him, but that won't happen." 

"Are you in grade school?" Namjoo asked with deep sarcasm. "I said bring him here. Whoever he is, I'd very much like to know." 

Eun Bi snorted as if she were making a fool of herself, "Think a little harder. Who's been keeping you company every evening after picking your daughter up from daycare? Such unworthy words coming from you. It's all because of you he's been ignoring his family this whole time and you want to play innocent?!" 

All anger ceased when she realized it was Sehun they were talking about before it heightened again. All this crap because of him?! 

Her hands dropped from Soo Ae's ears. A fog slowly thickened in front of her and she blankly stared at the two before her. 

Looking up at her Soo Ae asked, "Uncle Se-Se?"

*****

Sehun was feeling bright on an empty stomach. How irregular, but he immediately rejoyced when Namjoo's apartment appeared in front of him. He thought about Soo Ae and felt even more excited. 

Why was it that coming here cleared his head so much? He looked forward to all days every time he neared seeing them. 

He imagined a hearty breakfast then playing with Soo Ae after, even thought about stealing some snacks where Namjoo hid them. A smile planted itself onto his face when he approached the thick metallic door, but slowly paused when he heard faint voices booming from inside. Sudden worry stole him over before he knocked.

"Namjoo?" He called out. "Namjoo!" 

When she didn't come to the door within the split second he waited, he impatiently grabbed the doorknob twisting it open. His heavy step sent him flying in. Upon the thud of his footstep the ladies turned his way, all hushed. An imaginary hand slapped his face when he sighted his mother and next to her Eun Bi. Silence was fast to drown the atmosphere and he heard his heart knocking in his ears.

The sight of Namjoo's slowly widening eyes penetrated his skull at most. He was immediately apologetic.                                                                                                          
"Uncle Se-Se!" Soo Ae ran forward to grab his hand. "Hurry, the scary people are attacking mommy."

Taking her hand he walked in, "What are you doing?" 

An exasperated smile crossed Namjoo's face out of spite as she turned away. 

His mother's brow twitched, "You...why are you here?" 

"Mom..."     
                                                         
"Don't you mom me!" She raised her voice and stormed over before tearing his hand from Soo Ae's. "How dare you!" 

Her hand shot up into the air, but before she could hit Sehun Namjoo quickly rushed by, bumping into him while grabbing Soo Ae. His mother stumbled to the side with a short gasp. Now that the room was suddenly turned around with Sehun standing between both teams, he worried over how he'd settle the situation. 

He'd made noise; the situation chaotic, just exactly what Namjoo was worried about. 

"You're going to protect that wench and her brat?" His mother hissed. 

Again, Namjoo pressed her hands over Soo Ae's ears. Her voice trembled with absolute anger, "I told you to watch your words. Don't talk like that in front of my daughter." 

"You're really going to talk like that to me?" His mother started. "Leave! Get out of here! As if you're not low enough already! How dare you hang onto my son with your filth! You even have the guts to force your daughter onto him! I can't stand this!" 

"Maybe you should open your eyes wider and see who the desperate one is," Namjoo fought back with silent scorn in her voice. 

"I warned you to watch what you say!" Eun Bi shouted. 

"You be quiet," Namjoo snapped at her. 

"Don't talk to her like that!" His mother defended grasping onto Eun Bi's hand defensively. 

"Enough!" Sehun shouted. "Mom, enough! Stop it already. Namjoo and Soo Ae have done nothing wrong. Why are you accusing them of something they didn't even do?" 

"You really want to talk like that to me?" His mother threatened.
 
"It's because of them you haven't been coming home!" Eun Bi broke in. "Do you even know how we feel? Everything you do nowadays is because you're so blinded by them. Do you know how unfair it is?!" 

Sehun narrowed his eye, wondering exactly where this thesis was coming from.
 
"Who knows where that kid came from and who the father is. I can't even imagine how dirty that woman is," his mother muttered. "And you still want to be around them? Have some self-respect, Sehun. I thought you knew better." 

His heart trembled over the words that had just come out of his mother's pretty mouth. He was even more upset that she was talking about Namjoo and Soo Ae this way, as if they had no dignity or feelings. Suddenly, he knew how Namjoo felt when called names but still took the hits as long as Soo Ae remained out of the battlefield. 

The pain she kept trapped under that face daily made him feel sorry. He, too, wanted to protect Soo Ae with all he could. 

Enough already. 

As long as Namjoo and Soo Ae remained unprotected, they'd be called names, be laughed at, mocked. 

"That's..." his voice slightly trembled, but he fought for control, "me." 

Eun Bi's jaw dropped and his mother literally took half a step back. 

"What...did you just say?" His mother whispered in disbelief. 

He felt the room spin, but he trained his eyes on his mother, "I am the father." 

Namjoo's eyes shot wide open from behind him, but before she could retaliate his mother chucked her fists forward, pounding them against him. 

"No! No! It's not true! You're lying!" She screamed in denial before crying. "You're not my son! You're lying!" 

Sehun remained where he was blankly, but quickly regained his senses when his mother fell back. 

"Mother!" Eun Bi shouted bending down to help her up.

"Are you ok? Mom!" Sehun extended his arms out to help her stand up, but she slapped his hands. They stung hard, the weight as heavy as her outcry. 

"Lets go home, Eun Bi. Lets go home. I can't stand this place." His mother sounded exhausted.
 
Supporting his mother with an arm Eun Bi shot him a stare before hobbling out the door. When it closed he could hear Namjoo breathing heavily behind him. The silence lasted even longer than when he'd arrived. 

He was in for it. Namjoo and his parents would be out to get him. 

Warmth slid up his hand and he glanced down to see Soo Ae holding his hand. Only she would comfort him now. 

Forcing a soft smile on he asked, "Are you ok?" 

Smiling, she nodded. 

"Soo Ae, go in your room and close the door. Don't come out until I tell you to." Namjoo ordered with ice in her voice. 

Soo Ae gripped his hand once before doing as told. When the door softly closed he turned around, but Namjoo walked away to turn the stove off. Her eyes hovered over the boiled meat and veggies. She didn't move. 

It was more silent than when he'd gotten lost in the woods during camp. Sehun was nervous. 

Lifting her head up revealed to him twisted brows with a contorted expression. Her lips in a hard straight line while her eyes detained him in her pupils. The way they held his unwavering eyes made his nerves stand on end. He gulped when she took a step forward. 

"Father?" Namjoo quietly asked and slightly turned with that spiteful smile she'd shown earlier.

"Namjoo..." 

"Do I look desperate?" Namjoo quietly hissed, her brows up. 

"It's not what I meant..." he helplessly tried. 

"I don't want to marry you," Namjoo shook her head. 

The stiff agitation in Sehun's eyes softened as he continued to look at her. Obvious anger underlie her eyes, but she held herself back for the sake of Soo Ae who might hear.  

"I don't ever want to marry you. Before I die, do you think I'll allow Soo Ae to call you dad?"        

His pressed lips fell apart. 

For some reason...those words hurt. 

"Get out," she whispered. 

As if pleading, he remained glued to his spot continuing to stare into her orbs.

"Get out!" It came out even fiercer. 

The fear of being locked out forever hit him hard when the door closed behind him. Sehun wasn't feeling as good as when he arrived. 

Without his hearty breakfast he ended up arriving at home where his mother chucked couch pillows at him mercilessly. Even a harmless cake spatula hit his forehead before clattering to the floor.

"Get out! Get out! How dare you come back here!" She screamed fiercely. "You call yourself my son?! I can't believe I raised an imbecile!" 

"Mother, stop it," Eun Bi struggled to grab his mother's arms to calm her. 

Breathing heavily like a fat dragon she watched him walk in, her eyes scanning his every move. His attention immediately turned when his father walked into the kitchen. Arms were locked behind him, eyes stoic, and his face without expression. 

He had always been a step behind his mother. Their definitions of strict and discipline just a level different from each other's. 

"Come into the office." Was all he offered before disappearing. 

Sehun turned back to glance at his mother who refused eye contact. Pleading eyes belonged to Eun Bi, signaling for him to tell his father the words she and his mother wanted to hear. Out right ignoring her he walked away. They only wanted their way. He wouldn't be imprisoned by them. 

The door to the study was open and upon entering he closed the door behind him. Sehun knew he might have to expect a whipping from his father. He was ready for it though, whatever it was to come. 

Quietness lingered. His father sat comfortably behind his small desk without saying anything. Perhaps, he was deciding how to best handle the sudden situation Sehun had created. It was a mess, was what his father was thinking, what a headache. What would his father decide to do with him this time? 

A short sigh escaped his father's thick chest. The stripes of his gray shirt extended in size before retreating to its normal thick pattern.

Placing his arms onto the tabletop he finally looked up. "Do I still have to tell you to sit down?" 

As if suddenly turned stupid he immediately moved toward the small chair in front of the desk and sat. Settling his hands on his laps anxiously, he waited. 

Sehun suddenly thought back to the days where he sat in this room listening to his father's never ending lectures, scolding him for what seemed like ages. It was also in this room where he'd been brought after being dragged home from the police station. 

"You've really grown up," his father started. 

Lifting eyes up to look at his now aged father he felt a tenderness massage his heart.

"You used to be just a little kid in that chair. I didn't think to have you sitting there again now that you're an adult, but you're here." 

The thudding of his eardrums lessened by the second. In front of his father he wasn't feeling as threatened as when in front of his mother. He'd expected his father to take his mother's side, but the feeling swirling in this room served different. 

"Is she...really your daughter?" His father gently asked. 

Sehun stared into his eyes and imagined that the way he was now looking at him was the same way he looked at Soo Ae. 

That girl was lovely and he wanted to be there for her. 

"Yes."

 Another round of silence droned on and his father nodded, accepting what was. 

"Bring them here," his father told. "I want to see them."


***Namjoo ain't going down alone!