Our New Lives

A Second Chance - The Story

Namjoo never came back down, so Sehun helped with the dishes whilst listening to his mother complain underneath her breath. 

"Give her a break, mom. She still needs to get used to things around here. It's new for her." 

"Get used to things around here?" His mother repeated spitefully. "She should have known what was in store for her the second she moved in! And you're telling me to give her a break?! Are you going to raise her?" 

Sehun narrowed a brow at her exaggeration. 

"You're the one she's going to be taking care of. Does she think being a wife is a part time job? No, it isn't! There's always something to do around the house! If she can't fulfill her duty, I want her out of the house. I don't know what you see in her anyway. Eun Bi suits you so much more. What's gone wrong with your eyes?" 

Holding back his relenting impatience, he quickly finished scrubbing the rest of the dishes before hurrying upstairs. He couldn't tell what his mother had against Namjoo, but if he listened to her anymore he might unintentionally start arguing with her. That was the last thing he wanted to do before leaving the house with his daughter and Namjoo. 

Refusing to allow the frustration get to him, he shook it off his shoulders and stopped outside the bedroom door. He was a little nervous, but there was an obvious tinge of happy spark brewing under his skin. When he thought about how Namjoo had abided and let him massage her feet yesterday, he had been somewhat shy but proud. 

That meant trust was starting to form between them, didn't it? 

He really hoped so. He wanted this marriage to work out. The second he opened the door Namjoo immediately stiffened up, her back as straight as a flat cardboard. An awkward tension started growing between them. Shutting the drawer she stood up from where she'd been kneeling and pulled her sleeve up. 

"I'll go check on Soo Ae," she excused. 

Sehun had no plan to stop her, but as she passed by he caught the scent of light perfume flowing off her. When the door closed his lips eased up into a secure smile.

What was she so nervous about? 

He thought this might be a little fun. 

After getting dressed he stepped out to hear Soo Ae excitedly talking about how she'd tell everyone at the day care she had a real dad now. A roll of bemused laughter came from Namjoo before he peeked in to find Namjoo grooming Soo Ae's hair. Once spotting him, Soo Ae jumped up from where she was sitting leaving the comb in Namjoo's hand hanging in the air.

"Daddy!" She jumped against him with arms wrapped around his waist. He didn't think he'd ever tire of hearing her call him that.

"Are you all done?" He asked, running his hand over her silky hair.  

"Yes!" She smiled.  

Sehun's brows shot up when she waved for him to come closer. Leaning down to allow her to whisper in her ear, he listened to her say, "I think mommy's shy this morning. It's my first time seeing her shy. Isn't it cute?"  

She giggled and pressed hand to her lips causing him to helplessly smile at how adorable she was.  

"I'll go down first," she proclaimed and twirling around, raced out of her room.

Namjoo, once again, refused to make eye contact. Readily getting up she started toward the door, but to stop her he held out the tie he'd been holding onto. 

"Want to help me put it on?" He asked. 

Namjoo glanced at the tie as if she'd never seen it before, "I don’t know how to do that stuff. You can put it on yourself."

Even though she was nervous, she still sounded as cold and calm as always. Sehun didn't think it much of a surprise, but it was good to hear her talk anyway. 

"Mom's going to get upset if you can't even do this for your husband," Sehun provoked, trying to hold back a teasing smile.

He thought he liked her being nervous and awkward. It was...new and for some reason, made him a little delighted.  

Her eyes continued to drone over the tie. Catching on that she wasn't going to initiate movement for it, he linked it around his neck and pulled the edges out toward her.  

"Like this," he started and pulled at it again, "I'll show you. It took me a while to learn too."  

Hesitantly, she finally raised her hands up and grabbed a hold of them, her fingers a width away from his. She looked like a lost, confused child needing guidance.

"Start with the wide end, but make sure it's below the narrow end," he made sure she could see the difference, "then cross the wide end over the narrow and back underneath." 

Namjoo did as directed, her eyes glued onto the ends of the tie the entire time. 

"Bring the wide end around it to create a loop and pass the wide end up through it," he continued, working with their hands making sure she was following his movement. 

"Hold the knot and pull the wide end down through the loop in front then hold the narrow end to slide it up," he felt their hands brush before the air changed and he finally glanced at her. 

His heart started accelerating when he recalled Namjoo touching him that morning, her bodily heat closing in on him while cuddling him. Pressing his lips together he suddenly gulped, hoping she hadn't heard it. The nervousness he hadn't expected started sinking in when Namjoo suddenly raised her eyes to look at him. His grip on the tie became firm then loosened and instinctively felt his fingers try to touch hers. 

It was suddenly hard to breathe. Sehun didn't think it right of the moment to feel so exaggerated until he almost started wheezing, realizing Namjoo had pulled the knot up too tightly against his neck. Turning away regrettably, he fought to loosen the knot. Namjoo's panicked eyes wavered around the room before quickly turning and walked out of the room. 

When the knot finally loosened he could still feel his heart penetrating his rib cage. Perplexed by the strange embarrassment he was feeling, he hung his head back to sigh. They'd never looked at each other like that before. 

Staring out the door, he regretted having choked up so soon. There was an unfair urge to try and interact again, but he thought he needed some space to shake off his feelings first. 

When he started down the stairs, Namjoo was watching Soo Ae put her shoes on, his father standing beside them observing proudly. 

"Wow! You're certainly a big girl!" His father encouraged. 

Turning toward him, Soo Ae gave him one of her beaming smiles that would make anyone fall for her. 

"Go have fun at day care," his father reached over to rub her head affectionately. "It's a shame grandpa can't play with you but go to work today." 

"It's ok! We can play when I come back and I'll teach you how to play games," Soo Ae insisted to which his father happily laughed. 

And Sehun never thought he'd see his dad smile or laugh so much. Soo Ae definitely possessed enlightening magic. 

Patting Namjoo's back he offered, "Don't work too hard and don't worry about what your mother says. She's always been like that, the nagging type, you know?" 

Pulling on a smile she nodded, "It's ok."

"Go on now," he urged and instinctively turned toward Sehun. Suddenly changing from his gentle tone he questioned, "What are you doing? You're going to be late for work." 

"I know," Sehun replied walking down the rest of the steps. 

He started toward the door and slipped into his shoes, expecting to start a conversation with Namjoo but she quickly turned away. Pulling the door open she stepped outside first. 

"You're really making mommy weird," Soo Ae commented looking up at him. Then smiling innocently went on, "But it's ok, daddy. Mommy never had a boyfriend before, so she's not used to it."  

Sehun wondered if she was negating his ability to be comfortable with Namjoo. 

"Oops," Soo Ae giggled, pressing a hand to her lips. "I mean, you were mommy's boyfriend before, but now it's different since you're married. Right?"  

Sehun honestly didn't know what to say to her.  

"Sorry Soo Ae," he apologized. "For making your mommy weird. I'll do better later."

Sending him a comforting smile she turned and walked outside. Following, he closed the door. Kids could say weird things too, he guessed. 

Never minding their conversation he turned toward their car and noticed Namjoo standing by his car, staring off into the distance. She only turned when Soo Ae ran toward her to grab her hand. Sehun's eyes settled on them momentarily before he traced her previous gaze toward the next yard, where Eun Bi's house was.  

As if overlooking a large garden, Eun Bi stood on the step of her house with hands locked at her back. Eun Bi was usually never out this early, so what was the occasion that morning?

Upon sighting him, she smiled greeting him with a slight bow. Nodding his head in return he started toward Namjoo and Soo Ae.  

"Why are you standing there looking dazed?" he asked, approaching his wife.  

"It's nothing," Namjoo replied then opened the back door to let Soo Ae in.  

Along the drive, Namjoo's eyes remained casted out the window. This was certainly different from racing to catch them at her apartment before she'd leave without him. Instead of waking up half an hour early, he now had the comfort of laying in bed for another full hour with Namjoo beside him. To think that from now on they'd be waking together, having breakfast, and then leaving the house as a family was so, so different.  

There was this indescribable burning warmth inside his chest. Sehun felt content and secure in contrast to his quiet mornings full of his mom's nagging and father's duly silence. Now there was Soo Ae who had his dad energetic and full of smiles, laughing as he talked. There would be people to come home to, people to look forward to seeing. 

Sehun hadn't idealized this kind of life, but now that he was thinking of it marriage didn't seem so bad. He wondered why married men complained about being tied down. Weren't they glad to have a wife waiting for them, ready to listen and ease the stresses through the day away? 

Peering through the corner of his eyes he thought that even though he and Namjoo still had some way to go, he liked it that he would be coming home to see someone other than his mother. It made him feel as if he'd stepped into another dimension. 

"What are you thinking about?" He offered, breaking the silence. 

"Nothing." Namjoo mumbled, still with her head turned away. 

He couldn't rule out if she was disturbed over their little moment that morning or if it had to do with his mother's scrumptious nagging. 

"You don't have to quit your job," Sehun began. "We didn't get married for you to take care of me." 

"I'll talk to my boss about it," Namjoo answered monotonously. "I didn't think it'd turn out like this either, but if that's what your mother wants I don't think I have a choice." 

His eyes darted her way again. 

"Are you upset?" He wondered. It was all right if she was. He couldn't blame her. His mother was pushy. 

"No," it sounded like a sigh this time. "I don't want to depend on you. After a while, I'll start looking for another job again." 

He pulled up to the side of the curb when the salon came into sight. They should have talked longer. 

Finally turning toward him she bid farewell, "I'll see you later." 

And he regretted not saying more when she closed the door. Hearing her say she'd see him later made him feel...warm and bubbly inside. It was far different from thanking him for the ride and telling him not to pick Soo Ae up from the day care. 

His eyes followed her all the way till she disappeared inside and lingered on the door as if hoping she might come back out. 

"What are you looking at?" Soo Ae broke into his thoughts. "Do you miss mommy already?" 

Smiling, he denied, "No." 

*****

He was now a married man, he kept repeating the words to himself as if it were some mantra. Tapping his fingers against the desktop he stared at the ring Namjoo had slid over his finger. 

Having his status changed didn't make him feel physically different. Actually, Sehun didn't see himself any different from how he was before when he was still single. The only thing changed were his feelings. Realizing he had more responsibilities and people who would lean on him made him feel more like an adult, more mature as if he was another step from becoming wiser.  

Maybe, he thought, he wanted to do more for Namjoo than he let on. Though she hated the marriage, he was still intent on treating her well. Even if she said she didn't want to depend on him as a wife should her husband, he wanted her to, no matter how stubborn she was. He wanted to be relied on, not just by their daughter. Sehun wanted to become a pillar for them. 

They were finally family. 

The lights from above shone against the ring and he tapped his ring finger against the desktop. Suddenly there were a lot of things he wanted to do with his little family. Starting from...perhaps a vacation away from his family so they could be by themselves, bond and get closer. Then maybe in the future, take a trip out of the country, go exploring, take a formal family picture, and buy a home for them. 

That, Sehun would do just that. 

"What are you thinking about so intensely?" Chanyeol grabbed his shoulders, shoving him forward in hopes of scaring him. 

Slightly rolling his eyes, Sehun glanced over his shoulder toward his friend, unamused. Smiling with laughter, he pulled up a chair to sit beside him. 

"Wow," Chanyeol exclaimed, "you look tired. Had some fun last night?" 

Sehun lightly slapped his shoulder, "What problem is that of yours?" 

Chanyeol laughed again, his shoulders shaking. "Well I'd be curious. You didn't date many girls, so maybe you don't have experience." 

This time, Sehun shot him a snaring glare. Chanyeol only reacted with a loud roar of laughter. 

"I still cannot believe you decided to tie the knot with her," Chanyeol admitted. "That all happened quickly. Say, did you plan it from the start?" 

Moving the mouse around on his computer screen he replied, "Of course not." 

"Are you really up to spending the rest of your life with her?" Chanyeol pressed on. "I mean, come on, you both don't even like each other the same anymore."

"I like Namjoo," Sehun began and caught himself before correcting, "I mean, not in that sort of way, but as a person."

"Mmmhmm..." Chanyeol uttered. "But really, do you think you can last like this. In the next ten-plus years, you really think you're going to get somewhere? Don't you want your own children?" 

Sehun furrowed his brow, "I didn’t think that far yet." 

"I'm just saying," Chanyeol loudly clasped a hand over his shoulder, "it's easier to give up at the beginning than in the middle. Marriage isn't for everyone."

Sehun knew Chanyeol didn't have bad intentions. He'd grown up watching his parents' marriage collapse right in front of him. Sehun had witnessed how it affected Chanyeol's upbringing, majority of it explaining why he was the way he was now, unable to take any relationship seriously. But if one tried, wouldn't they succeed in anything? And he was confident he and Namjoo would be able to jump through hurls together.  

*****

Sehun made her feel foolish that morning. Namjoo honestly wasn't good with those cute, romantic stuff she saw others doing. It was embarrassing to the point she felt her skin crippling with goosebumps. Namjoo still couldn't believe she'd slept so close to him last night. The shock had nearly choked her up that morning. Never had she slept in the arms of a man before. The unease was still slithering underneath her very skin.  

Although she knew Sehun didn't harbor any intent to do anything bad, he still made her nervous as if she had to be on the lookout at all times. She hated being wary around him, tiptoeing around him. Yet, she could feel it in the very depth of her heart that someday everything between them would become the norm. And she'd become used to having him around as often as he had been the past few weeks.

If he continued capturing Soo Ae's heart, she would have no choice but to let him have his way. Namjoo was most uncomfortable with that, because she knew Sehun's good nature. It was what had gotten through to her in the first place and she didn't want to build romantic ties with anyone, ever. 

"But we're going to miss you so much," her boss whined. "I guess that's how it is, being married and all. How is it so far?" 

"I can deal with it," Namjoo offered a smile. "I can still come in to work tomorrow until you find someone to replace me." 

"That's fine," she nodded and squeezed Namjoo's arm. "Being a daughter-in-law must be hard, but you'll survive." 

If it was as easy as it sounded, Namjoo would be confident, but not with Sehun's mother's voice screeching through her ears every morning. Namjoo wasn't out to sculpt herself as a perfect daughter-in-law. She didn't believe there was one anyway, only that Sehun's mother was biased with Eun Bi. Anyhow, she'd still yet to find out who Eun Bi really was. Every time she was near, Namjoo always sensed thick, heavy negativity from her. The only thing she could gather was that she probably had feelings for Sehun, but what did that have to do with her? 

"Hello!" Her boss greeted when the door opened and a warm breeze escaped inside. 

Namjoo turned around from the back and immediately felt anxiety flush through her when she spotted Sehun standing in the doorway. When their eyes caught, he smiled handsomely. 

"Hey."


***d'awww...they think about each other quietly even though they're so distant. What shall we call this? A slow pull of attraction??

***Sehun so looks forward to living with Namjoo and Soo Ae, aiming to being a good husband and father ^^ Namjoo's going to get captivated by his kindness in no time heh~ Some old feelings never die