Sehun's Proposal

A Second Chance - The Story

“Mommy,” Soo Ae called from behind. Flipping to lay on her other arm to have a better look at her daughter, saw that she was as wide awake as she was.

“You’re not asleep,” she stated, rather to herself than her daughter. Reaching over she brushed her hand across Soo Ae’s face, pushing her loose hair behind her ear.

“Can I go back to the Day Care, mommy?” Namjoo raised a brow. “I only stay inside and I’m all better now. My chest doesn’t hurt anymore. Can I?”

“We’ll see about it,” Namjoo replied. “You’re going to go to school in a few months.”

A grin illuminated her face. “Mommy, are you happy?” More wide awake than before, Namjoo only stared at her daughter. “I’m happy when I’m with you, mommy.”

“I’m happy with you too.” Namjoo smiled.

“That’s not true,” Soo Ae shot her down. The smile quickly slid off her face. “You’re happy with daddy too, and you want to be with him.”

“Soo Ae…”

“You’re stupid, mommy,” Soo Ae said then held onto her hand, “if you love daddy, you should have stayed when I said lets go instead of being a scaredy cat. I’m sorry for making you feel bad, so you don’t need to think of me all the time. I’m not a baby anymore. I’m a big, strong girl now, so don’t worry about me anymore. Mommy, I just want you to be happy.”

Tears threatened to lubricate her eyes. What had she done for Soo Ae to be so grownup? Had she let Soo Ae see how hurt she was that she wanted to protect her? Namjoo felt both joy and sadness that her daughter was growing up stealthily, even telling her to get a hold of herself for both their sake.

Nodding, she pulled Soo Ae into her arms to hold her tightly, suddenly realizing how big she had grown since they entered Sehun’s home till now. Grown up, Soo Ae was so grown up now. Her daughter was no longer the little girl who followed her around anymore.

*****

Sehun shamelessly phoned Chanyeol relentlessly until he woke up frustrated from lack of sleep. “What are you doing here again?” Chanyeol groaned as he opened the door to find Sehun standing outside.

“Fear not for I brought food,” Sehun smiled.

“Come in,” Chanyeol held the door wider to let him in. “At least you have enough sense to prepare breakfast.” Following his friend to the table he pulled a chair out and slumped down sleepily. “I think I get why Namjoo was annoyed with you from the beginning.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Showing up everyday uninvited is what I’m talking about.”

Sehun burst into laughter. “I was not being annoying.”

“There is a limit to how persistent a person can be,” Chanyeol pointed out, “but since you’re my friend I can’t boot you out of my house.”

“Then why don’t you boot them out?”

“These are different matters,” Chanyeol held his fore fingers up. “I’m going to wash up. You deal with Namjoo’s wrath when she wakes up.” Scooting his chair back, Chanyeol headed back down the hall and entered the bathroom where he stared at himself in the mirror above the sink.

“It’s only right after all,” he murmured to himself before turning the faucet on and splashing cold water over his face. Namjoo was bound to go back to Sehun, why not get her to go now?

*****

It was strange how Namjoo wasn’t moved by his presence that morning. She neither refuted nor argued with him about sending her to work. Could it be that she was slowly accepting him or was it that she had tired of him so much that she didn’t even want to react?

Sehun drummed his pen against his desk, lost in thought. He hoped to God that it wasn’t the latter. He would die if Namjoo no longer cared about anything he did. Was he being too much by trying to show up in front of them unexpected, uninvited? Was Chanyeol right about his persistence?

A heavy sigh dropped from his lips and leaning forward, knocked his forehead against his desktop. If he didn’t keep showing up, Namjoo would forget him. The realization made his thoughts spin. Namjoo couldn’t forget him. He wouldn’t let her forget him. They were still married under law. The paper they’d filed together for their marriage was still official. He had all the rights in the world to stay in her life.

Deciding on that, he turned to glance at the time. Lunch was two hours away. If he got down to work seriously he would be able to leave early to grab something to eat.

When the clock struck twelve, Sehun bolted out the doors. Immediately driving down the street he arrived at Namjoo’s workplace no less than ten minutes later after zipping between cars as speedily as he could.

The bookstore was a busy and large place. Textbooks, encyclopedias, and books of all genres were sold there, attracting a variety of customers day to day. Sehun made his way through the rows of shelves glancing at the recommended reads piled neatly on tables in the wide aisles. The lights overhead were a shade of bright daylight, which offered a generous view of everyone’s faces. Sehun was sure he’d walked through the whole store in search of Namjoo, but she wasn’t anywhere. Pushing back his impatience he made another round and slowly paused when he spotted a woman kneeling on the ground to organize books on a lower shelf. Hair was tied up into a ponytail that looked like a paint brush. The blouse he recognized, but not the skirt.

A breathless smile climbed onto his face as he watched her concentrate on work. It brought him memories of how he once watched her work at the hair salon. Her eyes never budged from the task at hand. Always appearing reliable and independent, always feeling powerful and strong when she was able to do something herself. That was his Namjoo.

After a minute of watching her he slowly stepped forward and knelt down onto a knee beside her. Skimming the teenage fiction organized by author names, he randomly pulled one out and flipped through it, recalling how he used to read in Namjoo’s presence while she dilly-dallied away with whatever it was she did.

“When do you go on lunch break, Miss?” he first felt Namjoo turn to look at him before he turned to look at her.

“What are you doing here?”

Twisting his wrist he looked at the time on his watch, “Lets have lunch.”

her lips she turned away. He stared intently wishing he could hug and kiss her. “I’m still working.”

“Then I can wait.”

Namjoo’s hands paused as she grasped onto the books beside her then turned to look at him, “Go have lunch by yourself.”

“Food tastes better when shared,” slipping the book in hand back into place he took to leaning against the shelf with eyes on her. Without commenting, she picked the books in hand up and put them in the designated place on the shelf.

“How long do you have?” Sehun wondered. “I saw a café near here.”

“I said go by yourself,” she turned back to look at him, sounding defensive.

Sehun held her eyes for a few seconds to show her that he was determined. “I want to eat lunch with you.” Because you’re my wife, you’re pretty, and I miss eating with you, were what he wanted to say, but instead pleaded through his eyes. Namjoo had always been a step before him, but she seemed to have fallen behind ever since leaving him. If she couldn’t tell what he was thinking, their link might have really been cut off.

“Fine,” Namjoo pushed the rest of the books on the ground onto the shelf and stood up, brushing her knees. “Let me go talk to my manager first.” He watched her walk off, his insides screaming in victory.  

*****

The tray of their food landed on the table and she watched Sehun hand her the plate of her sandwich and fries. Though she had stated they would order separately, the moment they walked up to the counter Sehun cunningly made his order and asked her for hers.

“I was getting sick of cafeteria food,” Sehun said picking up his sandwich and bit into it. “I haven’t had home food for a while now either. I moved out from home, did you know that?”

Namjoo glanced at him and popped a fry into , “I know.”

“Oh, right,” he murmured. “Chanyeol must have told you.” Namjoo wondered if the remark was supposed to remind her that she’d been up to date with his life, even when she wasn’t with him or to make her feel guilty. Did it note that he was still indirectly a part of her life? And that he knew well about it through Chanyeol?

“Are you comfortable there?” Sehun wondered. Namjoo couldn’t help but glance at him again. This time, was she supposed to feel guilty?

“Yes. He was welcoming and kind.”

“I bet he must’ve been glad for the company. He’s lived alone since his parents separated,” Sehun told.

“I know.” Sehun’s brow shot up in surprise. Namjoo quickly clarified, feeling slightly foolish, “I mean, about his parents.”

Sehun smiled then urged, “Eat up.” Being with him like this was slightly awkward and at the same time, wasn’t awkward. They had separated for only a few weeks, but it felt as if they were meeting again for the first time in a year. And yet, nothing had changed about the way she felt.

It was real when she told him she wanted to be with him, but she had turned into a coward along the way. Suddenly walking off the road that had been clearly mapped out for her; she was lost in the wilderness. Where to go from here? How to fix things again? Was it even possible for everything to return to its normal state? Could she still be the same woman Sehun married?

How could she be happy again when pain changed people?

When she returned home in the evening Soo Ae was ecstatically helping Chanyeol prepare dinner in the kitchen. Her hands were stained with flour and she was wearing an apron Chanyeol had gotten her.

“What are you two doing?” Namjoo asked slipping her shoes off.

“I helped Uncle Yeol make dumplings!” Soo Ae explained. “They’re going to taste so good, even better than the ones in restaurants.”

“Oh yea?” Namjoo asked then pulled a chair out and sat down.

“Mommy,” Soo Ae walked up to her, “there’s a carnival this weekend. Can I go with Uncle Yeol?”

“Carnival?”

“Just an event at the mall downtown for kids,” Chanyeol finally turned from the stove. “You want to come? We can take Soo Ae for some fresh air.”

“No, you two go. I might pick up some extra hours that day,” Namjoo replied. She might as well use some time to think over the rest of her life.

*****

The mall was buzzing with children under twelve and parents to chaperone. Different stores held different activities for children to enjoy. Wherever they went there was someone to hand out free gifts and candy.

“Don’t get lost or else your mother’s going to get really mad,” Chanyeol advised.

“I know.” Soo Ae replied, her eyes busily scanning the stores.

“Lets wait here,” Chanyeol pulled her toward a tall plant by the front doors.

“Why? Aren’t we going to go play?”

“Yes, we will, but we gotta wait for someone.”

“Who?” tilting her head back she glanced up at him.

“Him,” Chanyeol nodded his head toward the door. Following his gesture, the five-year-old watched as another tall figure walked up to the glass doors, pulling them open. Eyes widened and mouth prodded open before she turned back to look at him.

“Then why didn’t you make mommy come?!” she slapped his legs and turned around when Sehun approached.

“I barely found a place to park the car,” Sehun breathed, as if exhausted from driving around for minutes. Glancing at Soo Ae he smiled, “Hi, Soo Ae.”

“Hi, daddy.” Then noticing how his eyes drifted from her to Chanyeol she explained, “Mommy didn’t come. She’s at work.”

Pulling on a smirk Chanyeol urged, “Come on or else you’re going to miss out on all the treats, Soo Ae.”

For about an hour the two followed Soo Ae around, watching as she played and gained treats. Chanyeol was touched and filled with contentedness as he watched Sehun encourage Soo Ae, reacting excitedly whenever his daughter did something well or got stickers planted on her face. He never did doubt why Sehun wanted to be a devoted father. Since the very beginning, he was bewildered with even why he wanted take her under his wing. Chanyeol stopped questioning it when Namjoo and Soo Ae entered his home.   

Looking at the father-daughter duo, he thought they were really well matched for each other. Sometimes even the way Soo Ae acted or moved reminded him of Sehun. The influence his friend had on her as a father was just astounding. It was amazing how people who became close came to resemble one another.

When Soo Ae stopped to watch a puppet show in the lobby while they stood at the side, Chanyeol pulled his keys out of his pocket. “What are you doing?” Sehun wondered when Chanyeol held them out before him.

“Trade you.”

“What?”

“Namjoo should be home by now,” Chanyeol turned to look at him. “Have some time alone with her.” He watched Sehun eye his keys. “What? You don’t want to?” A smile of amusement slid onto his face when Sehun immediately snatched them and placed his keys into his palm.

“I’ll take it.”

“Just don’t do anything dirty in my apartment,” Chanyeol warned. “There are motels on the…” his friend had already rushed off without letting him finish. “This jerk.” Snorting, Chanyeol crossed his arms and turned back to watch the puppet show.

When it finished Soo Ae walked up to him looking confused, “Where’s daddy?”

“Gone to find your mom,” Chanyeol replied lowering himself to talk with her. “Should we go to the arcade now and get some pizza afterward?”

“Yes!”

*****

Namjoo had just showered and was now waiting for Chanyeol and her daughter to return from their evening out. The TV was blaring, but her mind could not concentrate on the variety show displayed across the screen. Her legs were sore from standing all day and she wanted to see Soo Ae to complete her day. She quickly turned when the door opened and smiled, expecting to see Chanyeol walk in with Soo Ae.

Confusion dawned over her when she saw Sehun step into the kitchen before turning in her direction. She watched mischievousness climb into his eyes before slightly smiling then finally walked toward her. Glued into her spot she watched him and about stood to her feet.

“What are you…” she started, but he quickly pushed her to sit back down. Quickly jumping up onto the couch to lay down he settled his head onto her lap. “What do you think you’re doing?! Sehun!”

Turning onto his side to bury his face into her belly he reached his arm up to hold her halfway. “I had a long day, so be quiet and let me sleep for a moment.” Namjoo’s mind whirled at his bizarre act. How the heck had he gotten in? What exactly was he up to? Even if it was just his head on her lap, she felt completely held down by him. Unable to look at him she couldn’t tell whether he was really sleeping or not. Annoyed with herself for not using the slightest effort to shove him off she clamped her eyes shut, silently scolding herself.

Finally focusing her eyes on the TV she watched without concentrating, her consciousness elsewhere. Glancing down she realized that Sehun hadn’t budged an inch. If he was really asleep she was fated to deal with him afterward. If not, he’d become a better liar.

Snatching the remote beside her she lowered the volume and mindlessly stared at the daily drama now playing. Sooner or later Sehun would have to get up and leave. Leaning back into the couch she ended up closing her eyes and falling asleep. When she came to the sky was completely masked in darkness and the TV was off. There was no weight on her lap. Alarmed that Sehun had really left without giving her a proper farewell she immediately leaned forward to look around, pausing when she spotted him in the kitchen. A scent of cooked food swirled around in the air and she felt embarrassed when Sehun turned around at having heard her move in search of him.

“You’re up?” that smile on his face.

Figuring it was no use trying to run or play stupid, she stood. Walking into the kitchen she peered at the leftovers he’d heated up and separated into dishes, placed orderly on the table – a trademark of his mother’s.

“Lets eat,” he urged and sat down. With no choice, Namjoo sat down in the chair in front of him. To appease her hunger she picked up the spoon and began eating.

“I was with Soo Ae and Chanyeol earlier,” he explained.

“I figured.”

He smiled knowingly, “Guess you would.”

“I think Soo Ae has a crush on him.”

“Chanyeol!?” Sehun’s eyes widened in shock. “No, anyone but him! That girl should know better.”

Namjoo snorted and ate another spoonful of the dumpling soup Soo Ae made with Chanyeol earlier. When Sehun made no further remark she looked up to see him staring at her with one of his typical infatuated smiles.

“You should smile more,” Sehun told. “You’re prettiest when you smile.” The earlier expression of amusement slid off her face and she glanced down into her plate. Her heart raced in momentum at the compliment, but she was more unsure how to express it than she was embarrassed.

“Namjoo,” Sehun called and she lifted her head up, “lets talk.”

In the past, she recalled how they had mellow talks; how she brushed him off when he tried to comfort and uplift her spirits. Sehun would still try again, unfazed by her coldness. Now…now was different. They’d already been there and here, done this and that. Together, they experienced what being locked in the time of intimacy and romance was like, but she had ditched and turned him away in the end.

The questions now were what was she worthy of and what did Sehun deserve?

“You want to figure out whether or not we should stay together, don’t you?” He asked. “Then lets do something to let you decide, because we’re not strangers anymore and we’ll never be strangers again after this, so lets do something about it.”

Namjoo never thought he would be the one to initiate an end. “What do you want?”

“Lets go on a honeymoon.”


***It's neat, if you notice here Soo Ae is telling Namjoo to "get your " together and telling her not to use Soo Ae as an excuse for her happiness, to go out there and get what she wants. Soo Ae's just a kid, but she understands her mother more than anyone else. You see here that not only has the others have had character development, but Soo Ae is also growing. From the beginning she was always "mommy's baby" but now she's "the big, strong girl." Sehun & Chanyeol's characters have impacted her :)

***And I just realized, I am so close to completing this story. Hurrah!