A Test

A Second Chance - The Story

The twist of Namjoo's head appeared through the corner of his eye, but never really glanced at him. Rejecting his affection, she immediately pulled her hand away. Then to further act as if he weren't there, leaned over to tell Soo Ae to go wash up. Once Soo Ae left, Namjoo scooted her chair back and began collecting the dishes. Even though it was what his mother wanted, she acted as if she didn't see Namjoo doing the chore at all. 

"I'll help," Eun Bi offered, standing to her feet. 

"Just relax. You did enough," his mother grabbed her arm to hold her down. 

Sehun caught her shooting him a glance and without speaking, stood to help Namjoo. 

"What are you doing?" His mother finally switched her angry attention from his father to him. "Sit back down. Have a nice chat with Eun Bi or something. You haven't talked to her ever since you came home. Aren't you curious about how she's been?" 

The clatter of plates chewed at the air. Slightly lifting his head up he glanced over at Eun Bi, "You should go home. It's getting late." 

"Sehun," his mother scolded. 

"He's right," his father helped, "you should go home, Eun Bi. Your parents should be expecting you back by now. Sehun and Namjoo, clean up." 

A breathless gasp escaped his body when he stood up to walk away, as if arguing with his mother had tired him. Focusing on clearing the table he piled up the plates before heading toward Namjoo. After setting them onto the counter beside her he moved over to the empty side of the sink and turned the faucet on. Namjoo gently slapped his hand away when he tried reaching for one of the soapy plates she just finished scrubbing.

"Leave it," Namjoo ordered. 

"Didn't you hear dad say we should clean up this together?"

She pushed his hand away again when he tried to grab the same plate, "I said leave it." 

"I said I'll help."

"I'll leave now, mother. It looks like Namjoo and Sehun have everything under control." 

"At least let Sehun walk you back. You don't know how dangerous it is to walk alone in the dark. And you're just a girl too," his mother sounded as worried as if Eun Bi were some grade school student. Then turning to stare at his back demanded, "Sehun, walk Eun Bi home. Let her finish up the dishes. It's no big task anyway." 

Eun Bi this, Eun Bi that. Sehun didn't intend to keep her out of his life, but he didn't intend to lead her on either. He thought he'd made his feelings clear already, so he couldn't understand why she was still hanging around. He could understand that it was because she lived right next door and that his mother always adored her, but he was married. In the case of both girls, he'd side with Namjoo any day. Not because she was his wife or that he loved her in any sort, but she was his precious daughter's sole protector. 

"It's not that dark, the sun's still up," Sehun commented before reaching around Namjoo to steal the soapy bowl in her hands. In the process he felt Namjoo tilt into him and her shoulders shrivel up from the touch. 

"It's ok," Eun Bi affirmed. "I'm going now mother. I'll be back in the morning." 

The door opened and she headed out. In the meantime he could feel his mother shooting lasers out of her eyes at his back. The very perfect daughter-in-law his mother wanted was finally heading home. 

"Eun Bi!" His mother shouted as she opened the door to chase after the girl. 

Once she was finally gone with her voice fading into the evening wind, Namjoo shoved him off and took a side step away from him. 

"Go."

"What? I already said I'll help. I'll leave after we clean up."

Finally turning to him with wide eyes of irritation, she yelled, "I said go!" 

Upon staring back at her, he caught how she angled her head back to look at him.

Something about it was appealing. 

"Who do you think you're yelling at?" His mother interrupted his moment of captivation with her angry demeaning voice. "How dare you yell at my son?! Who are you to think you have the right to scold and scream at him? Know that when you're in this house, you're just a mere guest of a wife. Your duties are to serve, not to command." 

"Mom, stop," Sehun felt his brow twitch. "She wasn't yelling at me." 

"And you too. You're a man, hold your place. How dare you let this person look down on you?" His mother scolded. She switched her narrow eyes full of distaste back to Namjoo, "Such a headache." 

Swiveling out of the room with heavy footsteps she disappeared around the corner and they listened to the door close. For a few seconds the both of them stared off into different directions. He was ashamed for how easily his mother abused Namjoo with mere words in front of him. 

Turning the faucet off Namjoo picked up the dishes again. "Go," she started, "check up on Soo Ae or something." 

His lips opened to say something, maybe he was intending to retort but nothing escaped. 

"All right," he gave in. "I'll go check on her."

Once he took a step forward, he quickly paused upon hearing her call his name. Pivoting quite anxiously, he expected her to say soft words of neutral comfort. 

"Don't touch me," she stated, wavering her eyes about before meeting his. "I...don't really like it." 

A rush of wind scourged him. Momentarily blanked out he didn't know what to think or say, whether he was more dejected or disappointed that she couldn't try to trust him. In the end, he quietly made his way upstairs with his mind elsewhere. 

They were getting along, they had been getting along quite well, he told himself. Then why was it still like this? 

Pausing in front of Soo Ae's open door, he peered inside to see her wet hair dangling over her shoulders while she swung a toy animal around in her hands. Though she looked nothing like Namjoo, her personality, attitude, and the way she smiled and carried herself was exactly like the person Namjoo was now.

What had he expected from Namjoo? The two of them had gotten married for Soo Ae, nothing else. Though they were a married couple in everyone's eyes, they were more like distant friends drifting somewhere along the awkward stage. 

"Hi daddy," Soo Ae greeted. "Where's mommy?" 

Pulled out of his thoughts, he smiled and walked toward her. In no way did he want Soo Ae to see the troubled thoughts swinging through his mind. It was probably the thought of a parent to his child, never wanting the young one to know he was brooding over a problem. Especially something that was going on between him and his daughter's mother. Under every circumstance, he wanted to appear like a perfect father. 

"Mommy's still busy downstairs." He sat beside her. "What are you doing?" 

"I'm playing with Sammy."

"Sammy?" He repeated. "Is it the teddy's name?" 

"Mm!" Soo Ae shook her head. "Daddy, can I get a daddy bear and a baby bear?" 

Sehun raised his brows in further need of an explanation. 

"Sammy is the mommy doll. She's lonely, so I want to give her a family."

A smile crossed his lips and he ran his hand over her hair, "All right. I'll get Sammy a family so she won't be lonely." 

With a broad smile, Soo Ae kicked her tiny legs about. Twisting her body to look up at him she excitedly exclaimed, "Then Sammy won't be sad anymore! Just like mommy!"

"Oh yea? Is that what your mother told you?" Sehun wondered, curious if Soo Ae knew something he didn't. 

"I know so," Soo Ae answered quite confidently Sehun barely believed her. "Mommy doesn't need to be sad, because we have you now. If there is big adult problems, she won't have to think about it by herself. Daddy will be there to help her." 

A smile helplessly climbed onto his lips again and he linked an arm around her shoulders, thinking if only it was really like that. He couldn't believe that Namjoo would start leaning on him...ever. In the first place, she'd never wanted the marriage and she'd already claimed that she would never be able to feel anything warm about him. Their relationship was as cold as ice. It'd be even more so, because his mother so openly discredited her. 

*****

Namjoo was curled up on her side of the bed with her back toward him when he finished washing up. Without conversing, he turned the lights off and slipped under the covers. Unable to shut his eyes peacefully, he endearingly stared up at the ceiling disappearing into the dark.

"Don't touch me," she stated, wavering her eyes about before meeting his. "I...don't really like it."

Her words were really getting to him. 

He was her husband, why would he hurt her? Namjoo knew what kind of person he was, didn't she? 

Sehun had only meant to comfort her, not touch her with intent. He knew what she'd been through, what she'd done, but he believed it didn't make her any dirtier than he was. Instead, he admired her for still being what a mother should be to her daughter, strong-headed and witty. If he had been around during that time when she was struggling, he would have chipped a helping hand, but he hadn't known. While he was busy studying and cramming for exams, Namjoo was out there in the adult world as a young teen. 

Thinking about how scared and filthy she had felt and how she would have cried alone made him sorrier that he wasn't making things easier. In what sense could she not be sad or disappointed about how things were becoming, with his mother and Eun Bi? If he couldn't protect her, how better off would Soo Ae be?  

Turning, he stared toward his right until he could make out the shape of Namjoo's head. Then reaching out, adjusted the blanket over her. 

*****

Namjoo had been ticked off by Sehun's mother, but she figured if she had to put a roof over Soo Ae's head in the future and now, this wouldn't even hurt her in the long run. There was no way she planned to live under Sehun's mother's scrutiny forever. Someday, she would make sure they moved out. If Sehun couldn't initiate it, she would be the one to do it. 

Laying there wide awake, she stared at the shelf before her. Sehun kept some interesting stuff in his room, she found herself thinking when her eyes roved over the old pack of candy sitting there untouched. 

In half an hour she would have to be up or else Sehun's mother would be at . Unable to sleep Namjoo flipped onto her opposite side where to her luck, he'd been sleeping toward her. As her weight shifted Sehun's eyes sleepily opened. Their heads barely brushed and Namjoo's eyes went wide while their eyes locked. They were so close she could make out his pupils and the tiny patterns inside his eyes. Heck, she could almost see herself. 

A chill traveled up her spine to her neck when Sehun's eyes widened the more he became awake. The room became hazy as their minds blanked. 

Barely choking, Namjoo turned away forcing herself up. At once she headed downstairs, where not to her surprise, Eun Bi was being warmly adored by Sehun's mom. They appeared like a pair of mother and daughter eager to start cooking lessons. There was a stark resemblance between them that made them look identical. 

The two turned to look at her; Sehun's mom with her usual loathing stare and Eun Bi with her round innocent eyes, as if hoping to make good relations with her.

"If you've woken up earlier, Eun Bi wouldn't have had such a hard time preparing everything alone." His mother jeered at her. 

"I'm sorry," Namjoo apologized without any sincerity in her tone, "that I have a job and responsibilities outside of the house unlike a college grad who likes to visit the grandma next door."

"How dare you open your mouth," Sehun's mother protested. 

Pulling on a patient smile, Eun Bi spoke, "Yes, but in due time, you won't be working anymore. As a woman, I believe we should put our families first. Men don't know how to take care of themselves, so their wives should step in and take the burden off their shoulders. I grew up with Sehun and I know his habits, so I just want to come around and be of some help." 

As if men didn't have their own hands or legs. Namjoo fought hard to keep her eyes from rolling so ridiculously. 

"Oh do you," Namjoo actually wanted to say, but only the corner of slithered up into a smile of disbelief. Slightly nodding her head and raising her brows she turned away. 

If she knew Sehun as well as she claimed, Namjoo wanted to know why they weren't married. Maybe she would take note of it and ask Sehun about it sometime.

Once everyone was up and the table prospering with life, Namjoo was impatient to leave. An air of awkwardness built up in the gap between her and Sehun. At first she listened to the utensils clatter against the plates without intention to speak. 

"Did you sleep well last night?" Sehun questioned.  

Namjoo's shoulders stiffened and lifted her eyes up. Eun Bi shot her eyes his way, but it wasn't her reaction that really bothered Namjoo. She couldn’t help but be worried about his mother's reaction. 

Why did idiotic Sehun have to speak like that, making it sound as if they'd done something in the middle of the night.                                                 
                                
"Why? Is something wrong with Namjoo?" Eun Bi wasn't hesitant to question. 

Namjoo didn't know whether she wanted to clench her teeth at the question or shoot Eun Bi some sort of burning stare. It sounded like an insult. 

"Are you planning to have another baby?" Sehun's mother sounded nonchalant about it.

This time, Namjoo's eyes inched wider. 

"A baby?" Soo Ae asked innocently. 

Flustered, Sehun's lids battered, "No..."

"Why not?" Sehun's mother contradicted. "You had Soo Ae. Why not have another one now that you're married?" 

Her eyes stared them down with the challenge, as if urged to test the proximity of their relationship. Deep from within Namjoo's chest, her heart began thudding even harder at the thought of having her own child. She wasn't and she had no plan to have her own child. There was no plan to sleep with anyone in order to get pregnant and she was most determined not to sleep with Sehun. 

Not now. Not ever. 

This time, Namjoo really clenched her teeth and clutched onto her spoon with greater force. 

"Mom..." Sehun nervously glanced at Namjoo and tried, "we only got married...we should at least have our own place first..." 

"Are you saying this is not your home?" His mother tried provoking. "It would be much more convenient for you to have your child grow up in this house where your father and I can help babysit. And you're saying you'd rather leave your home, so that you can build your own family? Did you not grow up in this house?" 

His father coughed to interrupt. Letting out an irritated groan, he went on, "Let the children decide for themselves. Neither of them mentioned having a baby yet, why are you trying to pressure them?" 

"I am not pressuring them," his mother shook her head in objection. "Have you seen a married couple without a child these days?" 

"They already have Soo Ae," his father pointed out. "These days it's difficult to raise even more than one child when the economy is so bad." 

"But they're living here, are they not?" His mother began. "You know I don't quite trust your wife, but if there's another child I'll rethink the marriage. Wouldn't that be better for you?" She stared right at Sehun with a snickering smile. "I want a grandson." 

Subconsciously gripping her hand into a fist underneath the table, Namjoo bit her lower lip. She'd lost her appetite. If they were hungry for a baby they could work one out themselves. Soo Ae was enough and all that she needed. 

Scooting her chair back, she excused embittered, "I'd like to get ready for work now." 

The very moment she began climbing the stairs she felt a hot trail of acrid thoughts follow her. They always spoke as if she had no say at all. She'd never been oppressed before, but since the very day she entered this household Sehun's mother was just getting better at that. It was infuriating how the woman made her blood boil.   

If it weren't for the fact that Soo Ae needed a father, she wouldn't at all hesitate to pack up. Namjoo wasn't scared of that woman and she would not take any words of direct insult. 

The very moment she closed the door to the bedroom, it opened and she watched Sehun follow her in. All she did was shoot him a petty glare and shifted to walk away from him. It was detestable to even stand near him, but he grabbed her arm.

That was when she felt the zagged emotions spiral up to her brain and she lost it. "I told you not to touch me!" 

Without intending to, she shoved him away where he ended up knocking into his closet. opened in apology but nothing came out. When Sehun turned, a stern expression sat on his face, as if he'd lost patience. Firmly tucking her lips together she turned hardheaded, reciprocating the same emotions. Swiveling around to walk out she was pulled back when Sehun grabbed her arms. 

Disconcerted memories of strangers sinking their hands into her skin as a means of seduction infiltrated the worst parts of her. Suddenly penetrated by taunting breaths whispering in her ears she struggled to push him back, taken over by her worst nightmares. Black and whites ousted the colors around her and images of scrubbing her skin red till she felt clean made her body throb. 

"Namjoo! Namjoo!" Sehun shouted so loud that her ears incoherently burned and she stared up at his fear streaked eyes. 

A whimper made her lips tremble and she clutched onto his arm. Her voice came out like a high but quiet shrill, "Don't touch me."  

Her eyes felt strained and his hands tightened before loosening around her arms. He, too, appeared surprised but Namjoo couldn't recognize it. She could only pay heed to the panic leveling inside her chest.  


***Sehun's mother's antics are irritating Namjoo. Lets notice the fact that her anger with it is very normal and lashing out her irritation at Sehun is also normal. She's not strong or weak when confronting his mother and she knows when to mind herself and when to fight back. It's also quite normal for Namjoo to become impatient w/his mother bc she has no reason to hold her feelings of suppression back. It's not like she loves Sehun and wants to do well for him so she holds back her anger - no it doesn't go like that.

***One hurl Sehun and Namjoo need to jump over before becoming intimate is comforting and assuring her that he won't hurt her or touch her inappropriately; He still needs to further prove he respects her because she doesn't quite trust him. Remember that the very moment when she left home, she hasn't had many people to trust while raising Soo Ae alone.

***Sehun's mother is also testing the depth of their marriage.

***And thanks everyone for the support! I highly appreciate it!