Sehun's Wife

A Second Chance - The Story

*****

“You ok?” Sehun wondered. They were on the way back home. Namjoo hadn’t spoken a word since they got in the car and he was afraid if the way Gil Han had asked for pregnancy advice was bothering her.

“Yea.”

“Are you bored? Should I turn on the radio?” He worried.

“No, it’s fine. Just focus on the road. I don’t think I want to die in this car with you.”

Edging his lips into a smile, he did as told. “That’s exciting, huh? I didn’t know Yeon Mi was pregnant. Must be why they wanted to get together this weekend.”

“Mm…”

He shot a quick glance her way. “What are you thinking?”

Namjoo leaned her head against the window in a dazed manner. “They make a good couple.”

“They do, don’t they?” He asked.

“Yea.”

He cautiously glanced her way again. “So…did Yeon Mi say something weird to you about me? I swear if she said something funny, it’s not true. They’ve always liked playing around…”

“Sehun,” she cut him off, turned to look at him, “don’t worry. If there’s something weird to be said about you, I’d be the one to say it.”

A snort crossed his lips before he turned back to the road relieved. Perhaps, he thought, Namjoo was just a little tired.

*****

The week went on like usual. Eun Bi was back to mentor her in the mornings and Sehun’s mother was there to chide her as always. Then when everyone left for work, chores were thrown at her left and right.

“Sehun,” his mother said during breakfast one morning, “Eun Bi’s birthday is this weekend. They’re going to be celebrating it at the plaza. Her parents would like it if you come.”

Namjoo glanced up from her plate toward Eun Bi, who sat to the right of his mother adjacent from where Sehun sat beside her. The image of Eun Bi stepping into their bedroom appeared in her mind. A growing tension seethed through her before she bit down on her spoon hard.

“I was going to take Soo Ae and Namjoo out,” Sehun told.

“Please, Sehun?” Eun Bi begged from across him. “You’ve always made it every year. I don’t want you to start missing out.”

“You can take them out another time. For god’s sake,” his mother dismissed, “you have all the time in the future to take them out, but Eun Bi’s birthday only comes around once a year. Would it hurt you to spend her special day with her?”

“Mom,” Sehun tried and wanted to remind her that he was married.

“You can stay for even half an hour. I won’t make you stay long,” Eun Bi begged. “Namjoo, you’re all right with it, aren’t you?”

Her eyes shot up from her plate to the teasing smile on Eun Bi’s face that was meant for her innocence.

“Why would you even ask her?” His mother complained underneath her breath.

For a moment Namjoo was tempted to answer for Sehun just to spite them, but then he had his own mouth. Why should she decide for him?

“If he wants to spend the day with his family, let him,” his father interrupted. “Why do you keep trying to pressure him when he’s already married? And Eun Bi, you should clearly know it’s disrespectful to ask a married man out, even if it’s for your birthday.”

“How can you say that to someone who’s just like your daughter?!” His mother gasped offended.

“It’s all right, mother.” Eun Bi consoled. “I understand where he’s coming from.”

“No!” His mother raised her voice and shook her head.

Withholding a sigh, Namjoo turned to Soo Ae, whispering, “Go upstairs, honey.”

“Just because of some woman you hold in your favor has entered this house does not mean you have the right to disregard Eun Bi!” His mother shouted infuriated. “She’s family, the other one is an outsider!”

“Mom!” Sehun immediately spoke up. “Stop it! Namjoo’s family. She’s my wife.”

Namjoo glanced at him and saw that for once, his face was contorted with anger.

“All right,” his mother nodded defiantly, “she’s you and your father’s person, but she’s not mine. She’s not part of what I consider family. Insolent fool, I’m so ashamed of you!”

Getting up from her seat she stomped off to her room. Eun Bi looked exasperated before following her. Namjoo swallowed her sigh and turned to look at Sehun’s father when he spoke. “Don’t mind them. They’re always like that,” his gentle voice coaxed her. “Eat up.”

Sehun helped her clean up the table and wash dishes after his dad left. They worked quietly while Namjoo ran over in her head Eun Bi and his mother’s banter.

Immature all right, she decided. She understood why they hated her. For one thing, she’d stolen Sehun, though not of her own accord. No, she shook her head. To correct it, they thought she’d stolen him. And in fact, she didn’t quite disagree with them for despising her. Soo Ae wasn’t Sehun’s blood daughter – Namjoo would never forget that. She had never slept with Sehun and bore his child, so they were partially correct with their hatred for her. Yet, they should still at least respect her as a human being. She was receiving none of that but verbal abuse. Namjoo would let it go, but his mother just continuously went on with her sharp tongue, even in front of her child. Now that, Namjoo wouldn’t let go.

“I won’t be going to Eun Bi’s birthday party,” Sehun declared to her, “so lets go somewhere this weekend. Maybe for a walk or a picnic. I think Soo Ae would like that.”

Namjoo took a dirty dish from him to rinse. “You should go upstairs and get ready for work. You’re going to be late if you keep this up.”

“We’re almost done.” Sehun replied. “So, picnic this weekend?”

Namjoo didn’t give him the reply he wanted. When she followed him upstairs she began thinking to herself about whether he should attend Eun Bi’s party. It bothered her that they let it hang in her jurisdiction to decide for him. Sehun could make the decision for himself and it was obviously clear what his answer was. Namjoo also knew that if Sehun had his way, his mother would put her through hell, blame her for it. So, was she going to make a decision for her well-being or his?

She first stopped by to check on Soo Ae before heading to their bedroom. Sehun was in the bathroom changing, so she took to digging through his dresser for a tie and waited for him. Her eyes unintentionally ran up his body when he stepped out and immediately looked away after catching his breathtaking smile.

Infatuated, was what Yeon Mi had called it. In high school, Namjoo had been aware that Sehun liked her. He always liked her first, but she never wondered to what extent he did. Infatuation was a strong word. Could Sehun’s feelings have been that strong back then? For a mere teenager? Was it possible?

“I think we should go on a picnic,” Sehun stopped in front of her. “I think that would be nice.”

Namjoo slipped the tie around his neck, making sure it was propped under his collar neatly, and focused her concentration on the tie – not him.

“Sehun,” she began.

“What?”

“Maybe you should go to Eun Bi’s party.” Without looking she was aware that smile slipped from his face.

“Why?” A moment of silence. “You want me to go?”

Namjoo’s hands paused. She was tying his tie the wrong way. Hurriedly, she pulled the loose ends out to start over. Some kind of eerily guilt swarmed through her. It was like a virus slowly spreading through her system before killing her.

“No,” the reply was quiet.

“I don’t want to go either,” he stated.

“I don’t want your mother to get angry,” Namjoo told.

“I’ll deal with it,” he sounded confident, but Namjoo couldn’t tell herself to believe it.

“It’s fine, go,” Namjoo urged. “Take Soo Ae with you. Let her have some cake again.”

“Namjoo.”

She sighed, “I don’t want your mother to blow up. She’s going to blame me and I don’t want Soo Ae to see her angry with me. It’s not a pretty sight when someone attacks your mom.”

Sehun was going to be stubborn about it. Namjoo could feel it and she could only pray that he would listen to her.

“You’re doing it wrong,” Sehun told and took her hands before helping her. Until they’d tied the tie into a perfect knot did he speak again, “All right, I’ll go then, but you come too.”

Namjoo shook her head.

“Why not? You should at least go if your daughter and husband are going.”

“To be honest, Sehun,” she began, “I don’t really like her.”

There was a breathless laugh from him and she looked up at him again, only to think about how much he’d grown up during the time they separated.

“That makes two things we have in common,” he smiled. “Fine then, but then Sunday we’re going to do what I want to do.”

Namjoo raised her brow, wondering if she should be concerned about what he was going to be planning.

“Don’t work too hard,” he told, “and ignore mom if she uses her anger on you.”

And anger was what she majorly received. In the middle of vacuuming, she swiveled around when the machine suddenly turned off and glanced back to see Eun Bi standing by the machine. Still holding the tube within her hand she stood up from the corner she’d been cleaning.

“Can I help you?” Namjoo asked.

“When are you leaving?”

Namjoo stared at her and walked over, never minding the girl. Turning on the vacuum she walked back to the corner and started cleaning again only to have the machine turned off again. Biting her lower lip to maintain her cool she turned.

“You didn’t answer me.” Eun Bi reminded.

“Let me ask,” Namjoo began, “what’s so great about being Sehun’s wife that you act like it’s a matter of life and death?”

“You don’t understand because you don’t care about him. Unlike you, I love him and I’d be willing to do anything for him.”

Namjoo breathlessly laughed, undermining the girl. “Your name is Eun Bi, right?” The girl merely returned her stare. Namjoo nodded. “Just because you’re willing to do something for someone does not mean you absolutely love him.”

She turned around to return to work, but Eun Bi couldn’t leave it as is. “That’s because you don’t know what love is!”

Turning back toward her Namjoo grabbed the vacuum, “Why don’t you go write a book about my feelings and bring it back to show me.” Lugging the vacuum after her she returned to work.

By the end of the week Sehun’s mother came into their bedroom so often that Namjoo felt as if the room never belonged to them to start with. Every time she would watch the woman go through the closet, tell her what to wash and what to iron. Then so frequently, she changed her mind. Namjoo felt as if she’d gone through the whole closet until the actual day Sehun actually wore the chosen shirt.

There were times Namjoo wondered if she should ask Sehun about how much he knew of Eun Bi’s obsession with him. Then again, when she looked at him she was confident that he was aware of it. And other times, she couldn’t help but feel as if he was just being naïve and was actually unaware of what went through that girl’s mind. At any given chance, Namjoo knew that girl would pounce on Sehun. She just hoped it would never happen with Soo Ae around.

“We won’t be gone long,” Sehun assured her from where he sat behind on her on the bed. She was busily flipping through the channels for something interesting to watch.

“It’s fine,” Namjoo assured. “Take your time.”

“There won’t be anything to do anyway. Do you want a slice of cake? I could bring some back.” He offered.

“No.” she replied. “Just keep your eye on Soo Ae.”

“All right. Don’t worry about her.” He said. “You know I’m only going because you told me to go.”

“I didn’t say anything against that.”

He smiled and stood, “We have a date tomorrow, you know that, right?”

“I know.”

“Good,” Sehun replied. “We’ll be back soon.”

Namjoo turned watch him leave the room and felt a kind of emptiness dawn on her. Trying not to let it bother her she returned her attention to the TV, but it only kept her occupied until commercials came up. Suddenly bored, she turned it off and walked out. First, she stopped in front of Soo Ae’s empty room.

Switching on the lights she peered in to see her bed stuffed with now a life size bear from Sehun and other toys. He was spoiling her even when she’d advised him against it, but she knew that even if she said anything, he wouldn’t listen to her as long as Soo Ae was happy. They were starting out as a duo and maybe she even felt like he was taking her spot from her, but she had to admit she was glad. Sehun was doing a better job as a father than she’d imagined and Soo Ae was happier than she’d ever been.

Heading down the stairs she never found the house so silent. It was as if she’d stepped into someone else’s home while they were gone. When she stopped to stand in the middle of the living room, she realized that Sehun had always been of some company the moment he rediscovered her. Every one of his friends she’d met so far had mused over how he’d been so into her. It made her wonder if she’d somehow contorted her memories about seeing Sehun as some boy who only liked her.

Had she not liked him that much in return?

Namjoo couldn’t dig up the answer or maybe she was being uncertain over everything because he was being so good to her. No one had been this good to her before, it almost felt unreal. For so long now she’d only relied on herself. It was hard to rid of that part of her. Sehun wasn’t a permanent feature in her life, she couldn’t think of him that way. What if she relied on him and he toppled over the next moment? Namjoo didn’t want to have to get back up on her own feet again.

A minute later the ringing of her phone made her wonder if Sehun was already calling to check up on her. Without looking at the screen she answered in a heartbeat. An unrecognizable deep voice answered from the other end.

“It’s me, Chanyeol.”

“Oh…” was all she managed.

“Want to come chill for a bit? I’ll treat you to some soju.”

Namjoo glanced around the house, uncertain.

“Want to ask Sehun if he wants to come along?” Chanyeol asked.

Namjoo’s eyes landed on the kitchen entrance. “They’re not home right now.”

“Then come on out,” he urged. “Don’t you want to get some fresh air?”

And somehow Namjoo discovered herself sitting with him inside one of those street tents. Every cheap plastic table was seated by some man or woman out for the night. Steam floated from the stove nearby and she turned when Chanyeol pushed a shot glass toward her.

“One bottle,” he promised. “You can drink, right? Or does Sehun not want you to drink?”

“Didn’t I tell you he doesn’t control me?” Namjoo asked reaching for the glass. Chanyeol shortly laughed from across the table.

“I think I heard he's never been able to control you,” he commented, which was mostly true. She’d never heeded his opinions in the past.

“Can I ask you a question?” Namjoo wondered and watched him nod. “How much do you think Sehun liked me? I mean…in high school, of course.”

“Ah…in high school?” Chanyeol repeated. “I knew he was all eyes for you. He’d always stare at you whenever you passed by, but I can’t say how much. I don’t really know. Why?”

“Nothing,” Namjoo shoved the glass back toward him for a refill. “Since you’re close with Sehun, then you must know.”

“I know? What?” He repeated, pouring more liquor for her. After a moment of searching her face he opened his mouth in a kind of gesture before smiling as he pushed the glass her way. “I know.”

“What do you think about it?” Namjoo asked. “I mean, you are his friend. You would have something to say about it.”

“You sure you want to hear it?” Chanyeol wondered. “It might make you angry.”

She nodded, “Tell me.”

Chanyeol drew a circle on the table while gathering his thoughts. “I don’t think it was a smart idea. He’s not that girl’s father. Sehun seems more of the type who’d like to have his own kids…you know…with his wife. No offense, really.”

“Don’t worry about it.” She affirmed. “I don’t feel insulted unless it’s his mother ting on me.”

At that he laughed. “Before I tell you the rest, how close are you two? Still strangers? Or are you friends now?”

Namjoo had to think carefully about the question. She knew Sehun, his personality, his nature. Their relationship so far wasn’t too rocky and they got along just fine, but they weren’t close enough for her to completely trust him.

“Maybe a little of both.” She concluded. They could work well together, but there was no personal attachment, at least not from what she felt.

“You’re not even friends?” Chanyeol asked.

Namjoo stared into the glass where the liquor sat. Her thoughts ran on long and she thought about how their eyes connected every time she tied his tie for him. There was something about it every time and she always wondered why she hadn’t been more determined to keep him out of her life. A bigger part of her refused to indulge in finding the answer.

“No, I don’t think so.”

“I always felt like Sehun was impulsive about the marriage. You should at least have some feelings for him if you married him,” Chanyeol told. “When he told me you two were getting married, I couldn’t believe it. It hasn’t been long since you two have started talking again. I might not be that smart, but I have intuition. I don’t think you two are going to make it.” 


***Eh...Namjoo actually doesn't want Sehun to go to Eun Bi's party xD You can clearly see Sehun's stringing her in, but she's playing oblivious too much.