We Got Married

A Second Chance - The Story

*****

Chanyeol's loud laughed roared throughout the church when he slapped Sehun's back upon greeting. 

"Would you look at this," he commented, "you surely look impressive today, different from any other day I've seen you. And I bet this is Soo Ae?" 

"You're very tall Mister," Soo Ae commented. 

Chanyeol smiled at the young child before turning his attention to Sehun. Slapping his shoulder he said, "Where is she? I thought she'd be here with you."

"Who?" Sehun asked clueless. 

"Namjoo, who else."  

"You know my mommy, Mister?" Soo Ae cut in, her attention suddenly on them from the flowers she'd been admiring from afar.

"I sure do," Chanyeol replied slightly bending down with hands on knees, "I hear about her all the time from this guy." 

Soo Ae glanced at Sehun when Chanyeol placed his hand on his shoulder. 

"My daddy must like mommy a lot," Soo Ae's eyes became wide. 

Chanyeol slightly laughed before straightening up and complained about the pain in his back. Sehun grimaced at him. 

Pulling him by his arm and shifting him toward the alter in the church, Sehun whispered, "Watch what you say in front of her. She's smarter than you think." 

"What?" Chanyeol shrugged innocent. "Did I say something bad? It's not like I swore."

Smirking, Chanyeol punched Sehun with his knuckles. 

"You look awfully happy today," Chanyeol quietly told. "Bet you can't wait for tonight." 

"Shut up," Sehun told, shooting him a short glare at the tease. 

"Chanyeol!" Yoo Jin shouted from down the hall. 

"Well look who this is, I didn't know you'd be here," Chanyeol greeted. "Was told this was a private wedding." 

"I came to help the bride." Yoo Jin smiled before turning her attention to Soo Ae, "I made your mother really pretty, just as promised." 

Soo Ae brightly smiled with extreme happiness, just as she always did. 

"I did a fine job, I have to say myself," Yoo Jin complimented herself upon turning to Sehun. "You won't be disappointed." 

"I didn't say anything," Sehun replied to which she responded with a smile anyway.

"Then can we go see mommy now?" Soo Ae asked. 

"Are all the guests here already?" Yoo Jin wondered. 

Leaning back on his heels Chanyeol stared toward the empty yard, "Don't see any more cars." 

"Ah...someone came to visit Namjoo," Yoo Jin suddenly recalled. "Do you know him, Sehun?" 

"That's Tao Tao!" Soo Ae interrupted. 

"Tao Tao?" Chanyeol repeated, amused. "Maybe you should be worried, Sehun." 

Sehun shot him a contradicting stare that said he didn't think it was funny.         

Twisting her wrist Yoo Jin glanced at her watch, "You have a few minutes if you want to see her in the back." 

Tugging his hand Soo Ae said, "Lets go see mommy."

"Sit down first," Sehun told before leading Soo Ae down the hall. 

When they neared the room Sehun glanced down to see his daughter joyfully walking along. She was such a blessing. Every time he looked at her he felt recharged. Eventually she pulled her hand out of his and dashed toward the open doorway.    

*****

Her attention quickly shot toward her hand when she felt his skin graze hers. Surprise shocked her momentarily, but before responding loud footsteps thudding against the floor echoed from the hall. At once she could decipher that it was a child's and the only child there was Soo Ae. 

Managing to pull her hand away from his she turned toward the doorway just as Soo Ae came running. Her heart thumped in a stray manner from the discomfort she was suddenly experiencing. 

"Mommy!" Soo Ae threw her arms around her. Lifting her head up to stare at her she beamed, "You're really pretty, just like the Aunty promised." 

"Did you have fun out there?" Namjoo touched her head. "You did a good job greeting, right?" 

"Yes!" 

Noticing a shadow on the ground Namjoo looked up to see Sehun standing by the doorway, watching. Her eyes immediately flocked elsewhere, her fingers lightly digging into Soo Ae's back. These emotions trapped between being happy for Soo Ae and disregarding this marriage made her feel like a stranger to herself.         

"Looks like I should get going," realizing time was up Tao stood. "Congratulations, Namjoo." 

"Thanks." Namjoo meant it, but was unable to fully look at him. 

For a moment she'd been urged to get up, leave everything behind. Tao had spoken some sense and she knew he was right. She would have most likely left if Soo Ae hadn't come.
 
Quietly inhaling she resituated her arms around her daughter for another hug. All the comfort she lacked at the moment she wanted from Soo Ae. 

*****

The wedding finally proceeded minutes later. The moment Sehun reached the priest up front and as music lit up the church he could see white flowers floating down in his mindset. Everything was luminescent, dreamy, and captivating. All at once this felt surreal and like an illusion.  

A jolly smile brightened his face up when Soo Ae started down the aisle in her silver-white gown with that flower headband neatly planted into her hair. Like a tiny princess overjoyed with the event she steadily neared him with pride marked in her eyes. She was the prettiest gem he'd ever seen. The ring set she was carrying ever so carefully sparkled underneath the low set lights in the ceiling. When she stopped beside him they glanced at each other unable to contain the bubbly excitement flowing through them. 

They were father and daughter...nothing better could overcome that fact.

His attention swerved when Namjoo appeared from the back with the bouquet in her hold. Every small step of hers brought them closer together while at once closing the gap in their past. From now on he would be hers, she his. Realizing it was almost penetrating. 

When he first met Namjoo he never dreamt they'd come this far. They had shortly dated until their black and white insights drew them apart. Sehun never thought about her until she was mentioned at the reunion. The very moment they'd set eyes on each other again hadn't sparked anything, but he'd felt for her upon learning about Soo Ae's back story. 

Namjoo was barely like a friend again, but from now on she'd be his other half. 

Their eyes met when they turned toward each other while the priest read out the wedding vows. Since it had come to this, since he'd willingly gave up everything on his own terms he knew he couldn't back out. Sehun was sure he could keep his words. Though he couldn't say that both their hearts were in their "I do's" he was confident that with Soo Ae, things would fall into place. 

And maybe...he could learn to love her as a husband should his wife, protect and shield her. 

Upon signal Soo Ae walked up to them to hold out the ring set. Sehun had taken almost a week talking with the manager of the jewelry store about what he wanted. Even if the wedding wouldn't be a memorable, special event for them he at least wanted the ring to make up for all else, especially if they were to wear it for a lifetime. 

This, he hoped as they exchanged rings, would be his first and last time walking down the aisle. When he thought about it, he wasn't up to looking for a partner in marriage. He didn't have an expertise for dating and he disliked dressing up for first impressions. The most natural solution he had was this.    

His utmost truth was he didn't feel too awful succumbing to his fate like this. Actually, he was almost happy. With Namjoo he was comfortable in all senses. Just the fact that she'd never once mistreated him so far made him feel kind of good. 

As his subconscious rambled on he could hear Soo Ae, from his side, giggle when the priest invited him to kiss his bride. The width of Namjoo's eyes became drenched in somber surprise. Like everything else, this was part of the process he hadn't carefully thought about. 

From the moment he declared his school boy crush on Namjoo to the time he walked away from her to the moment he found her again, they had never shared a moment of intimacy. Kissing was also something he'd never done with her before. The most basic acts of all couples were things the two of them never did. If he had to think about it carefully, kissing Namjoo was a difficult thing to do. She wasn't just anyone, but Namjoo. And when he thought deeper about it, he wanted their kiss to mean something. 

The reminder that this was their wedding wasn't something he could overpass. Fresh air weaved in with an aroma of pollen and crispy late spring. Calmly leaning forward he gave her a quick peck on the lips before standing back on his heels to hear applause and cheering from his friends. He was embarrassed, but he couldn't express it. At least, he felt, he should look cool the remainder of the time. 

Once the proceeds were over everyone escaped into the yard to grab refreshments. His small family was bombarded by the elderly relatives and remained inside the church for about more than half an hour. When they finally escaped outside Namjoo finally walked away from him. 

Underneath the shade of one of the ancient Oak trees that had been there for centuries he stared across the grassy scenery. Maybe with a few minutes on his own he, too, wanted to process the wedding into his head. Every time when he realized something in relation to the marriage actually happened, the reality of it was hard to believe. That this was his actual reality now was unbelievable.  

Twisting back he saw Namjoo by the refreshment table. She was probably feeling choked up and he wasn't sure that talking to her would ease her. On the other hand, Soo Ae was happy as usual in the company of his father. 

Sehun's attention turned when a shadow approached and saw Tao standing to his right. Tao never seemed very lighthearted or happy around him. There was always this unwelcoming vibe he got from the guy, as if he despised him behind that smile he put on.
 
"Congratulations," Tao said. 

As Sehun stared into his deep set eyes he couldn't tell whether he was being sincere or not. "Thank you." 

"Earlier I asked Namjoo if she wanted to leave," Tao told, "but it doesn't seem like she has the courage."

What did he want to gain by telling him this? Sehun couldn't let his eyes stray from Tao's. 

"Their house in Muju is still empty. If they want to come back any time, they're welcome to," Tao went on. "Since you brought her here and into this and Namjoo can't walk away yet, I'm going to trust you. Take care of them and don't let Namjoo overwork. If you mistreat her, make her and Soo Ae cry, while I'm still here, I won't let you off. From now on, they're going to be in your care. You better take up your position and care for them for the rest of your life. Do you hear me?"

"I know."

"You know?" Tao contradicted. "Then why are you here while she's over there?"

Sehun's eyes swayed in Namjoo's direction then back to Tao. "I'm giving her some space."

"Space? What for?" Tao asked. "You don't even know if there's anything wrong, but you're giving her space. I'll tell you something. This isn't a picture of a wife and her husband, you look more like strangers on a first date that didn't go well. You can't read her mind. If you really mean to do well, keep talking to her before anything goes wrong."

*****                               

The ache in her feet was killing her. Jumping out of the dress and into something comfortable was her biggest wish at the moment, yet the wedding ceremony hadn't ended. Namjoo didn't understand the deal of this. Why couldn't everyone just go back to their own homes to eat? 

Heaving a sigh of complaint she lifted up her cup of water only to realize she'd already gulped it all down. Irritated, she heavily sighed again and looked around for more drinks. Shots of pain sprang up from her feet to her legs and withholding the painful moan, turned around to a cup of water magically swerving into her face. Namjoo slightly eased back from the surprise and heard a lighthearted laugh of amusement.  

"Not the reaction I was expecting," an unfamiliar voice greeted.

Glancing up brought into her view a tall man neatly groomed. His eyes were as large as the smile painted on his lips. The short trimmed hair on his head had been carefully brushed from morning defining his stature as someone who looked after himself well, but he wasn't anyone she recognized.  

"I see you're thirsty, take it," he offered the glass of water to her. 

Namjoo glanced at it before automatically accepting it. 

"Don't worry," he said, tone still tainted with amusement, "I didn't drink out of it."

"Oh...thanks..." was all Namjoo could think of saying.  

Nothing else was said for a few seconds and she glanced back up at him, part of her wondering who he was and why he was still standing there.  

"Do you, by any chance, recognize me?"  

"Excuse me?"  

That smile was off his face now. The mood in his eyes had changed and she could tell he was observing her.  

What was his problem?  

A false sound of air split through his teeth when he suddenly smiled again. Unable to tell whether he was being sarcastic or if he was disappointed, Namjoo couldn't relay any reaction. She ended up just staring at him as if he were some drunk stranger making convo with her. 

"Chanyeol, boy who towered over everyone else," Chanyeol started with eyes wide, "you can't remember?" 

Tracing her eyes over his tall stature again brought back no recognition.    

"I guess that's ok," he shrugged her off with no hard feelings, "I don't really remember you either, Kim Namjoo." 

Her eyebrow literally twitched when he called her full name.  

Who was he?  

"I went to school with you," he began, "but I don't think you knew me. I didn't know you either, but I did hear a lot about you. Sehun's my good buddy. He ever tell you about me?" 

"I never heard about you."  

The corner of his lips curved up as if slightly insulted. Regaining his cool he held out his hand, "I was looking forward to meeting you. I'm Park Chanyeol. Nice to meet you."  

Namjoo glanced at the hand he was extending to her to shake. When she didn't, he pulled his hand back as if he'd never held it to her in the first place. 

"You're quite stand-offish," Chanyeol commented, "but it's ok. We can become friends later." He glanced around before leaning toward her to quietly say, "Sehun's mother's no joke. I'll help you get out every now and then."

"What are you doing?" Sehun interrupted.  

The two of them turned to see him walking over. Another one of those large silly smiles infiltrated Chanyeol's face as he stepped back.  

"Was wondering where you were," Chanyeol called out loudly. "Was just telling Namjoo we could be buddies like you and I." 

Sehun slightly frowned and looked her way. Turning away Namjoo lifted the cup of water Chanyeol had handed her to her lips and drank from it. 

"Stop talking nonsense," Sehun directed.  

"Why are you branding me as the bad guy here," Chanyeol reached over to playfully nudge Sehun. "We were just getting to know each other, right Namjoo?"  

Pulling the cup away from her lips she stared at the people far in front of her standing in crowds among themselves, talking, chatting away. She turned to look at Sehun and Chanyeol and wished again how fast she wanted to change back into her clothes, get out of these heels torturing her feet.  

"Yea...high school, right?" Namjoo said and watched Chanyeol smile.  

With a raised brow Sehun peered at Chanyeol curiously.  

"All right, I get your vibe," Chanyeol nudged Sehun again and bid his farewell, "I'll see you later Namjoo."  

He shot her another smile before walking off. Chanyeol gave her the impression of those playful boys who had every aspect of the fun side of life. How great it was, she thought, to be free like that.  

She slightly turned her head when Sehun stepped closer and turned away to pick at the refreshments on the table. Even though she wasn't very hungry she still stuffed swiftly.  

"Are you tired?" He started.  

"No. Where's Soo Ae?"

"With my father," Sehun replied staring off in the distance. "It went by a lot faster than I thought it would." 

"It did." 

"Do you want to go home? If you do, I can talk to my parents and we can leave early."

"It's all right," Namjoo dismissed the offer, "we should stay and help clean up."  

"All right."  

After majority of the guests left, along with the clean up crew they tore down the decorations, helped fold the tables and chairs away. Once the church yard was clear and clean they were finally on the way home.  

Home...their home now. Namjoo would need time to sink that in. She wasn't just a mother but someone's wife now.  

Wife...that word was still so foreign to her.  

It didn't look like peace and rest was welcoming them just yet. The moment they entered the driveway, stepped out, and started toward the doorstep her footsteps became aloof before stopping in her tracks.

Eun Bi was waiting for them in front of the doorway.