Make Up to Break Up

A Second Chance - The Story

*****

Soft instrumentals played in the overhead speakers. The restaurant exuberated a royal Italian touch. The walls a bland mahogany with paintings depicting armored men and colossals. Each table finely draped with a golden cloth and chairs to match. Sehun had earlier made reservations for them. At the door they were met with a waiter and led to their seats, given water, and offered drinks. Tonight was red wine imported from the fields in Italy, genuine and fair.

Namjoo could only fathom how expensive the reservation had been. Sehun was always spending a fortune on her and Soo Ae. Despite all her disapprovals, he still went on with them. Stubborn in nature, just like his mother.

“I hope you’re hungry,” Sehun told. “We have a course meal coming.”

“A course meal?” she repeated, surprised.

“It’s my birthday, remember?” he reminded. “Lets do something worthwhile. You owe me that, don’t you think?”

Was he trying to guilt trip her tonight?

When their food came, Namjoo felt her jaws touch the floor. The seafood and meat of the finest quality, along with the appetizer they got while they waited for the rest of their food was fulfilling. Namjoo felt as if her stomach would erupt by the end of the night. No matter how much she shook her head, Sehun kept placing food onto her plate, wanting her to try the delicacies. Before she realized it, they’d finished a whole bottle of red wine.

By the time they were done and she was in the bathroom washing her hands, she felt somber and depressed. The running water sounded like a backdrop melody as she held onto the counter, inhaled and exhaled.

“I was really worried when we came back to see you weren’t home last night,” Sehun explained as if he’d read her mind. “I was looking forward to seeing you when we returned home.”

“S…sorry.” The apology came out quiet.

“But I was glad for it,” Sehun admitted, “it made me realize a few things. Whatever you may feel about our marriage, I feel blessed that we’re where we are.”

Namjoo could feel her eyes watering up once more. Damn Sehun. Always had to be so patient and kind. Raising her hand up she pressed it against the corner of her eye to help withhold any oncoming tears. She didn’t want to be crying by the end of the night and she felt sorry she hadn’t prepared anything good for Sehun. There was really nothing she could give him.

He turned around when she walked out and they quietly walked back to his car together. Once inside, a voice started screaming from the back of her head. She didn’t want to live like this the rest of her life. Where was her drive? Where was her motivation? Namjoo didn’t want to live day by day with a misery she could have done something about. She always wanted a better life, for both her and Soo Ae.

This isn’t it, a voice cried at the back of her head. It just didn’t work like this.

Namjoo sunk into her seat, her eyes on the night scenery. Night people were out, grinning with friends as they walked the streets. She could be just as blessed if she took a step forward and up.

“Are you sleeping?” Sehun wondered, reaching out when her head started lolling to the side.

Straightening herself, she watched the shadow of his arm move away from her. If he touched her, she might collapse into him. She wanted him to hold her.

“Sorry,” she apologized, her voice quiet.

“Hmm?”

Turning, she finally looked at him, “Don’t be mad at me. The things I said…I’m sorry, Sehun. I just blew up in the moment. I know it’s hard on you, too. I wish we could do something about it, but we can’t. I know how hard you try and I appreciate it, I really do. You know I also want to stay with you too, don’t you?”

The car came to an immediate halt at a yellow light and he turned to look at her, his eyes glistening. They were hope born and Namjoo felt like tearing up when she saw the shine of delight in them at last.

“You know I still won’t let you go, right?” She felt him squeeze her hand. A smile erupted onto her face and entwining her hands through his she felt fulfillment seep through her.

They finally turned into the driveway of his house minutes later. “We’re not going to get Soo Ae?”

“Chanyeol said he took her out to play. He’ll drop her off in a few.”

“This late?”

“They’ll be fine. You don’t trust him?” he playfully tapped her nose with a finger then turned to take out the keys.

She watched him do so before calling his name. When he turned she quickly gave him a kiss, whispering, “Happy birthday.” At the speed of light she turned, opened the door, and rushed out with her heart stampeding behind her ribs. As she rushed up the stairs she could hear him running in from the back door with exhilaration spreading through her. For the first time she felt like a young girl again, innocently in love.

She laughed and shrieked when she reached the dead end of their room, where he tried to pull her toward him by tickling her. The moment he tugged her forward, their bodies momentarily glued. Namjoo peered up at him, feeling the soft of his shirt underneath her fingers.

Fall into him, a voice cooed. The soft tension generated an assurance of relaxed romance when their eyes met. His breath gently touched her skin and closing her eyes she leaned up to kiss him. Sparks ignited across her skin and her heart beat harder as his hand moved over her back soothingly. So close. His face pressed against hers, lips reveling into each other infatuated. The warmth of intimacy had never called her so hard. Hands squeezed his shirt before gliding up to touch his face. His jawline, sharp and attractive. She wanted to continue kissing him forever, taste his breath, the aftermath of their dinner, and hold the ultimate warmth of his body in her arms. She hadn’t felt like this before.

Namjoo would have given herself away if not for the doorbell ringing which drew them apart. Reluctantly pulling away, she could feel his lips smiling against hers. Suddenly shy, she quickly let go.

“I’ll go get her. You stay here.” Sehun offered.

*****

Soo Ae had declined dinner and seeing how depressed she was, Chanyeol did the only thing he knew would cheer a kid up. He took her to an arcade then out to eat and to the movies. Lucky for him, that had cheered her up immediately. Now with a stuffed animal he’d won for her from the machine clutched within her arms, her hand in his, he waited for Sehun to come to the door. He’d spotted his friend’s car in the driveway and knew he should be home.

“Daddy!” Soo Ae greeted cheerily when the door opened and jumped forward to hug Sehun who was still dressed up. Chanyeol immediately glanced behind him, wondering if Namjoo had come down with him. Part of him hoped so, the other half didn’t. He wanted to tell Sehun about what Soo Ae had told him. If Namjoo heard she might feel disappointed and saddened. He didn’t want her to.

“Just got back?” Chanyeol asked.

“We did.” He looked blessed and happy, barely glowing. It was such a contrast from how he’d been earlier. Something must have happened during dinner, Chanyeol assumed. Sehun…was too lucky.

“Mommy!” He turned when Soo Ae ran toward Namjoo, who appeared behind Sehun. Noting the dress she was in left Chanyeol in quiet awe. It accentuated her figure prettily. Damn Sehun was too lucky.

“Hey, Namjoo,” Chanyeol casually greeted.

“Hi, Chanyeol,” she greeted, like Sehun, happily. “Thanks for watching Soo Ae. She wasn’t too much trouble, was she?”

“Not at all. We had fun.”

“Tall Uncle got me a doll, mommy!” Soo Ae proudly showed the prize off to Namjoo and Chanyeol felt foolishly proud as well.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sehun promised.

“Sure, don’t forget,” Chanyeol smiled and bid farewell to Soo Ae, his eyes trying to get a last glimpse of Namjoo before the door closed on him. Alone again, he thought to himself.

*****

Sehun felt whole again, his entire body pulsating as he lay there with Namjoo that night. The lamp glowed behind him as he lay on his side watching Namjoo stare up at the ceiling. Suddenly their argument the other day was invalid. All that mattered was that Namjoo wanted to stay with him and he believed her. If not, she would have never kissed him so passionately.

“What are you thinking about?” he wondered.

“About Soo Ae,” she replied, “I don’t want her to grow up with your mother bashing her.”

“We’ll move out,” Sehun promised, running his fingers into her hair. “I found some apartments on the other side of the city. When she starts going to school, you can go back to work. It’ll be fine.”

“Will it?” she shifted to face him.

Smiling, he nodded. “I promise.” Pressing his fingers into her hair he leaned forward to give her a forehead kiss. “As long as you believe in me, I’ll make it work.”

His heart beat even harder when Namjoo drew her hand over his face, “I believe in you.” That was the last thing he needed to hear before kissing her hard. Heat sparked his body with excitement when Namjoo accepted and gave him back the kisses. As if confused about where to touch her his hands traced her body, gripped her waist before moving back up to cup them around her face. He wanted her, so much of her.

Turning in unison her back met with the bed. His upper half climbed over her. Careful not to crush her he placed a hand on the mattress to continue indulging in her. The revelation that she was letting him touch her was a miracle he was grateful for. A voice at the back of his mind cautioned him. Pulling away he placed a last quick kiss on her cheek and hugged her from above, burying his face into her hair. He listened to her catch her breath as she hugg him in return.

That was all he needed. The rest…he could wait for.

*****

Sehun wouldn’t be back until afternoon. Namjoo could wait for him until then. The rest of early morning to early afternoon would be spent with Soo Ae. Majority of the time, they spent their time upstairs now. Avoiding his family seemed to have gone into routine.

Namjoo regretted having gone downstairs that early afternoon. As she headed down, Sehun’s mother waited for her at the bottom of the steps. No hint of excitement sat on her face and she wondered if she would inquire for the divorce documents.

“I heard Eun Bi had a talk with you,” she didn’t hesitate to begin. “So, what do you think about it?”

“I didn’t think anything about it.”

The woman snorted, “Have you given those papers to Sehun like I asked you to?”

“I did.”

“Then where are they?”

“He ripped them up.”

She rolled her eyes and let out a boisterous laugh of disbelief. “Ripped them up?”

“I’m not lying.”

“Then you should’ve gotten new ones! Keep getting them until he signs them! What are you stalling for!? Are you really waiting for another test on your daughter?” The woman raised her voice. “Do you really think that I’ll allow my only son to marry a knock up?” Glaring, she took a step up. “You’re going to get new divorce documents, because if I find out your daughter isn’t yours either, I won’t hesitate to pull you both out by your hair and dump you on the streets. I won’t forgive you for tarnishing our family name or ruining my son’s reputation. Do you hear me?”

A heavy frown grew over Namjoo’s face as she stared back at the woman. The never ending tension between the both of them would one day kill one of them off, Namjoo thought.

“Go now,” the woman ordered. “If you don’t go now, I won’t ever believe that you’ve gotten them.”

Namjoo gritted her teeth and glanced back up the stairs. Soo Ae was still in her room.

“What are you looking back for!?” his mother shouted. Fishing a few dollar bills from her pocket she slammed them into Namjoo’s hands. “Use these for your damn cab fare.”

“My daughter’s still upstairs…”

“Do you think I care about her?!”

Pressing her lips together, “Then promise me you won’t touch even a hair on her. If she tells me you did, I’m never giving Sehun those papers.”

Word given, Namjoo forced herself to leave. Not to her surprise, there was a cab already waiting for her outside. His mother’s setup she believed. She would make the trip quick. It didn’t matter how many divorce papers she got renewed because she knew Sehun would never sign them and she too, would never give the marriage up.

Namjoo never knew how quick things were to change when she returned. Always hearing about how the world changed within the blink of an eye; never thought it would ever happen to her. The moment she started up the stairs calling for Soo Ae, she never received a reply. The nightmare Namjoo always feared suddenly came to life when she opened Soo Ae’s bedroom door to find that her little girl wasn’t inside.

“Soo Ae!” Namjoo screamed, dropping her bag she ran downstairs still screaming for her daughter. Barely sliding into the kitchen she spotted Sehun’s mother working on lunch for her husband. “Soo Ae, did you see her? Did she come down?” Namjoo felt breathless. Her mind whirled, she was becoming dizzy.

“Do you think I keep my eye on a child that doesn’t belong in this family?!” as his mother started ranting on, Namjoo shut her out and raced toward the door. First thought was to check for her shoes. Squatting down, throwing the shoes by the door aside pair after pair she came to the daunting fact that Soo Ae was gone.

All else suddenly became irrelevant to her. Minutes later, Namjoo was raced across the streets, her eyes scattering over the many people populating the city. Despite how people stared at her, she continued to call out desperately for her daughter. Afternoon traffic was thick, cars never ending. Accidents could be plenty. Namjoo's fear heightened.

Grabbing various citizens on the street, she inquired them about her little girl. Each and every time they shook their head. Every time it happened her heart plunged lower into her chest. Namjoo never felt so hopeless and helpless before. Where would Soo Ae go? She didn’t know her way around the city yet.

“Soo Ae!” Namjoo screamed, running along the sidewalk. A large green bus passed and she wondered if Soo Ae would have gotten on one, but where would she have gotten the money? Did Sehun secretly give her allowance? God, what if someone snatched her off the street? Pretty Soo Ae wouldn’t be able to fend for herself. Small in size, she wouldn’t be able to fight.

Namjoo felt like crying, dropping onto her knees and wailing like a child. Tears threatened to build in her eyes. Her life was coming to an end. She was nothing without her little one. Soo Ae meant everything to her. Why was this happening!?

Immediately halting, Namjoo turned, moving to and fro pushing passersby in front of her aside. Stepping forward she finally recognized Soo Ae in the jeans and shirt she’d chosen for her that morning, sitting on a bench at the bus stop. The crippling fear inside Namjoo transitioned into growing relief.

“Soo Ae!” Namjoo screamed from the top of her lungs so loudly that her voice could have echoed throughout the city. Hearing her, Soo Ae glanced up and stood to her feet looking relieved and scared. Setting aside the thought that she would scold her later for running off, Namjoo ran toward the crosswalk signaling for Soo Ae to wait for her.

When the lights turned orange Soo Ae joined the crowd on the other side ready to cross. No cars were visible. Namjoo’s world deafened when Soo Ae began rushing forward into the street. At the blink of an eye a suddenly turned around the corner. For a split second, Namjoo only caught sight of it before she screamed, her wail echoing menacingly when Soo Ae landed on the concrete. When traffic came to a halt, Namjoo sprinted forward at full speed with breath shaking. Uncontrollable cries trembled out of her when she dropped beside the daughter, who was her heart, shattered in pieces. A crowd began to form around them, their voices incoherent to Namjoo’s ears. Her hands maniacally shook, hesitating to touch Soo Ae while continuing to cry out for her.

Namjoo’s memory blanked and minutes later was waiting outside the ER with blood smeared over her hands, face, and shirt. Sobbing uncontrollably she continued wiping her fingers against her face in an effort to clean her tears. Then she cupped her hands around to help keep her mentality from breaking into shambles. Fear was the only thing eating her up. Fear and guilt that she hadn’t been a better mother. She could think of nothing else.

When the doors opened and a nurse walked out Namjoo ran forward. “Your child is losing blood. We need an immediate blood transfusion. Are you blood type A?”

“Wh…what?” her brain couldn’t understand what was being relayed.

“What is your blood type ma’am? Are you her mother?”

“I…I’m…” even her voice was quaky. “B….B…”

The nurse gave her a strange glance. “Your daughter is losing blood. Do you have a relative who has blood type A?”

Namjoo felt her mind race before fumbling for her phone. The only person she could think of to save her day was Sehun. He was Soo Ae’s savior. No one else than he could help her now.

*****

Sehun was stuffed when he and Chanyeol finally departed from the pub. He’d gotten food to go for both Namjoo and Soo Ae. The thought of how overjoyed they’d look when he returned with the goods made him smile like an idiot. He would have gotten home if not for the sudden call on his phone.

His face lit up with a smile upon seeing that it was from Namjoo. “Yes?” but immediately became confused upon hearing her angry cries on the other end of the line. “Namjoo? Namjoo, what’s wrong?” Immediately losing his happy demeanor, worry filled up its place.

All he heard was stuttering and broken words. “Your blood type…wh…what’s your blood type dammit! I need a blood type A! I need a blood type A!”

Bewildered by her screaming, he quickly pulled over to the side of the street. “Namjoo, why are you crying? What’s going on? Where are you?”

More crying and swearing before Namjoo screamed, “Soo Ae’s dying! Help me save her!” The phone went dead. Baffled by the suddenness of everything, Sehun stared at his phone. He called back to hear the voice of a stranger – the nurse – explain to him that his daughter was in the ER and would need blood transfusion as soon as possible.

When he set the phone down his heart raced in his ears. For a moment he couldn't comprehend the situation. Cars whizzed by as the news of Soo Ae’s accident stunned him. Lovely daughter Soo Ae…Namjoo’s one and only.

His hands moved before he could think of the answer. Chanyeol could save his daughter. He could have called his friend to meet him at the hospital, but with inadequate thinking he immediately turned for his place instead.

Chanyeol’s blood type was A. He would save their daughter.