A Fresh Start

A Second Chance - The Story

"Eun Bi!" Sehun's mother called tragically as if meeting a long lost daughter.  

"Mother," Eun Bi greeted warmly by taking her arm. "I'm sorry I didn't come. I wanted to come by and drop off the wedding gift." 

Her eyes made their way over to Sehun who was just coming up behind her. 

"What are you doing over there? Come here," his mother ordered. "Eun Bi was kind enough to get you a gift. Come take it." 

"Thanks," Sehun said taking the gift bag from her, "Namjoo and I appreciate it."  

Eun Bi shot a glance her way before giving Sehun an awfully sweet smile. Unlocking the door Sehun's mother placed a hand at Eun Bi's back to urge her inside. 

"You must be tired," Sehun's father sympathized from beside her. "Lets go in and get some rest. Whatever your mother does is her business now." 

Pulling on a small smile she nodded and followed him in. Sehun who was waiting by the door was last to enter the house. Slipping out of her heels she slightly knelt down to help Soo Ae take off her shoes and arrange them neatly by the doorstep. 

"Did you have fun today?" Namjoo asked. 

"Mm!" Her daughter nodded in eager reply. "Did mommy have fun?" 

Looking into her daughter's pretty eyes Namjoo smiled, "Of course I did. Is our Soo Ae tired? Should we go take a bath and wear something comfy?" 

Soo Ae nodded, "I bet mommy is really tired, too. It's the first time you wore those pretty shoes, right? Does mommy's feet hurt? Should I give you a massage?" 

"Yes," Namjoo nodded brightly, "give your mommy a massage." 

As if she'd been eavesdropping, Sehun's mother called, "Namjoo, go get us some water and cut up some fruit for Eun Bi." 

"You go up, I'll do it." Sehun offered. 

"No," his mother refused, "I asked our daughter-in-law to do it, not my son. If she knows her duties, she'll do what I ask." 

Namjoo glanced over her shoulder before straightening up then turned to Sehun, "Take Soo Ae upstairs."

He had that expression of a person who wanted to say something, but she already turned away to avoid it. The soles of her feet were killing her as she walked into the kitchen, dragging and carrying her dress along the way. For a split second she wondered if she should change first, but she was already in the kitchen. Too late to walk back out she searched for two glasses. As soon as she filled them with water she carried them out to Eun Bi and Sehun's mother. While setting them onto the table she overheard them leisurely talking about some kind of upcoming gathering at a top star hotel. Invited guests were some famous actors and entertainers. 

She thought they sounded just like high school girls gossiping about boys as she walked away. Every step of the way felt like nails were penetrating the very sole of her feet. She even felt a rough blister burn. Namjoo felt like mumbling to herself as she dug around in the fridge for some fruits. Not like she could escape following other's orders now after entering this home. She could feel that ignited flame of youth flare up in her. Teen Namjoo hated being told what to do. 

Finally coming across some, she pulled them out, rinsed them and began to neatly slice them. While doing so she paused for a second upon wondering if Sehun's mother was picky about fancily sorting them out so that they appeared pretty on the platter. Then on the other hand, Sehun's mother didn’t like her in the first place so Namjoo could expect some kind of critique even if she did well.  

Leaving it as is she placed the sliced fruits onto the platter in their own separate groups and brought it out. To no surprise, Sehun's mother and Eun Bi didn't so much as shoot her a glance. 

A whine shot out of Eun Bi's throat like a crying cat, "I'm going to be sad that I won't be able to come over as often anymore since you already have someone to help you around." Then turning to her went on, "You must take care of mother well. Talk with her, watch sitcoms with her, and help her around the house. Poor mother never has anyone to be with her." 

Taking her arm Sehun's mother added depressingly, "You can still come over as much as you like. Just because there's someone else here," the woman shot her a quick look and returned to Eun Bi looking all so pitiful, "doesn't mean she can keep you from coming. In my heart you will always be my only daughter." 

Namjoo wanted to snort. They were acting as if it was the end of the world. As if she cared what they did with each other. The heck would she care if they met up or not. Namjoo had no heart to completely involve herself with this family anyway. 

"Go get us some napkins. Why didn't you bring any? We're going to get our hands dirty eating all this," Sehun's mother scolded. "You should have known better. Didn't your parents teach you napkins are always a basic with food?" 

Namjoo restrained from rolling her eyes and ended up biting her tongue instead. "All right. I'm sorry. I'll go get them." 

"Just say you're sorry. Mother doesn't like people who talk a lot," Eun Bi cut in. 

She wanted to say something to spite them, but heaving a sullen breath of irritation she her heels to walk off. It was only when she was in the kitchen that she didn't know where those damn napkins were. Namjoo ended up searching through the cupboards, the drawers, and in the little storage cabinet.

"What are you doing?" She turned around at the voice of Sehun's father. "Shouldn't you be upstairs resting?" 

"Oh...mother and Eun Bi wanted some napkins." 

Clicking his tongue he stepped forward with a sigh and reached above the fridge for the napkins wrapped in plastic foil. So that was where they were! Completely in her sight and she'd missed them! 

"I'll bring these to them," he offered. "Go upstairs and rest. You've had a long day." 

He was so nice, perhaps the only one in this household she'd be able to tolerate. Smiling gladly she nodded and started toward the stairs. 

"Where are you going?" Sehun's mother called after her before she even neared the foot of the staircase. "I have other duties for you to do." 

"Let her go," Sehun's father interrupted. "They just had their wedding. She must be exhausted. Why don't you stop bothering her and let her rest?" 

"Rest?" She repeated. "Have you ever heard of a daughter-in-law who just lazes around?"

"What is wrong with you?" 

"Why are you always arguing with me now?" She attacked. "Is your daughter-in-law that much better than me? I was still on my feet when I got married to you. How is that different from today?" 

Seriously...

Namjoo readied to turn around, but one look from Sehun's father told her to head upstairs. 

"Fine," the woman heaved and turned to her with animosity. "I expect you, starting from tomorrow, to get up every morning before everybody else is awake and start your duties as a wife. Just because you got married to my only son does not make you free in this house like he is. Tomorrow make breakfast, set the table, and clean." 

In other words, she was to be something like a housemaid. 

"Yes." She obediently replied and swore she saw a devilish smirk on Eun Bi's face, glad to see that she was going to get treated this way.

With a nod from Sehun's father Namjoo started up the stairs. 

Life was going to be hell from now on, Namjoo could sense it from the very depth of her stomach. Finally inside her room she immediately starting going through the drawers for something comfy to wear and turned when Sehun stepped in. 

"You're here?" He started. "Did mom make you do a lot?" 

"No." She lied. 

"Soo Ae just finished taking her bath. Why don't you wash up too, and get some rest?" He suggested. "I'll stay with Soo Ae in the next room in the meantime." 

He was trying to make her comfortable, Namjoo got that but it didn't make her feel any better. Once the door closed she rubbed her forehead. She was getting a headache. New environments always needed time for her to adjust to them. Although she'd spent months in different places before and had come to accept them as her home, she didn't think she could do the same to this house. It was going to take some considerable amount of effort to believe this would become a permanent place of her history. 

She was sitting on the bed massaging her own feet after showering when Sehun entered the room again.

"How's Soo Ae?" Namjoo wondered.

"Asleep," he seemed to whisper as if speaking loud enough might wake her daughter. 

That was a relief. It seemed like that little girl had completely enjoyed herself today, wearing herself out. 

"She's never slept this early," Namjoo recalled. 

"I think she played a little too much today," he commented opening his closet. 

Namjoo watched him search for some clothes and shifted her eyes away. Again, they'd share the same bed tonight. The reality of it was dire, but it would happen again and again anyway. 

Turning away to focus her eyes elsewhere for her own security she lost sight of Sehun placing his pajamas on the edge of the bed. Walking elsewhere he pulled out something from his drawer and she only turned when she felt his weight on the bed. Her heart sped up when Sehun took her feet into his hand. Twisting her head his way she tugged her feet back. 

"What are you doing?" Her eyes went wide. 

"Calm down," he tried. "Just applying some cream to help your blister go down."

"I'm fine. Just leave it." She tugged her foot back again when he took hold of it. 

"You don't have to be so uptight," he stated. "I know girls who've never worn heels before. Their feet become freaking sore the next day. This is for your own benefit." 

Namjoo felt her eyebrow twitch when the cool cream touched the sole of her foot. Eventually her eyes floated up to look at him. His brows were somewhat slanted, showing her that he was concentrating. It looked like he was studying for some kind of makeup exam he'd failed. 

Quickly looking away again Namjoo thought back to how she'd watched him read wholeheartedly in front of her one day. She'd asked him what he liked about the boring book and he'd replied, "Nothing."

A loud shout jolted from and she pulled her foot back again, staring at him with a glare. 

"That hurt!" She slightly raised her voice. 

"Of course it'd hurt," he stated the obvious. "You've never worn heels before."

"Forget it," Namjoo insisted. "I'll deal with it." 

Sehun seemed to laugh at her, "Soo Ae said she'd massage it for you, but since she's asleep I'll do it for her." 

Her brow deepened over her eye, "I said forget it." 

"Touching other's feet isn't my thing, but I'm being considerate here, ok?" Sehun told. "It’s not like I'm violating you." 

Pressing her lips together she felt his warm fingers settle against her foot and winced when he started to gently put pressure against it. She had to admit the massage hurt, but it felt good as well. They didn't talk during the few minutes while the massage ensued.

Never would Namjoo have imagined in her wildest dreams that she'd be here with someone she thought to be long gone from her past. It could have been or could have turned out awkward between them, but because she knew him the massage wasn't peculiarly unwelcome. When they were students Sehun had offered to carry her bag and books for her. Majority of the time, she'd tossed them at him like he was her slave. And here he was...still opting to do things for her. 

Some things just never change. 

An element of a heartwarming tenderness fluctuated through her body. 

Having gone from lovers to exes to strangers and now a married couple was just unthinkable. It'd really happened. Here he was, her husband. 

Catching on that she'd been staring she turned away, pulling her feet back embarrassed for how long they'd been sitting there like that. 

"What?" he asked. 

Keeping her eyes astray she told, "It's better now, thanks. Just go wash up." 

Sehun sat there for a few silent seconds before getting up to walk away. When the door closed Namjoo bit her lip feeling edgy. 

*****

Namjoo wouldn't probably say it, but he knew she'd probably been aching the whole day, body and mind. He just hoped to help make her feel a little more relaxed, comfortable. 

When he walked back out Namjoo was lying down on the bed, slightly curled up with her hair fanned around her head. For a few ongoing moments of silence he stood in the doorway watching her sleeping figure. This was a pristine sight he'd never seen before. He'd never been close enough to catch onto her habits, gain any knowledge about things she liked and disliked. But today and from today on, he'd have the rest of his life to figure all that out. 

A new start...he would have never expected it.  

Starting forward he turned off the lights and crawled into bed, pulling the blanket over them. Only a moment passed with his eyes closed. Opening them again he turned to peer over at Namjoo, who was calmly sleeping. In her slumber she seemed comfortable, unnerved by his presence. Who would have thought that it made him feel good over that small fact.  

Sehun woke in the middle of the night when he thought the side of his bed had become a little too warm. He only felt then, a warm breath on his neck and soft hair prickling the bottom of his chin. Instinctively, he lifted his chin up when Namjoo moved closer with a sigh leaving her lips. His eyes swayed from side to side in the dark, the edge of the bed near his back. If Namjoo came closer they might end up falling together, or worse yet, only he would. 

His lids fluttered open when Namjoo grabbed onto his shirt, but that was the last of her movement. Sehun barely slept with her so close, his senses perked and disturbed. Maybe he slept on and off for a few minutes throughout the night, but when Namjoo moved again in the morning his eyes opened wide. Shifting onto her back away from him he listened to her move and immediately closed his eyes when she sat up.  

Namjoo didn't budge an inch for a longer moment, but when she quickly slid off the bed he opened his eyes to watch her go out the door.  

"What is this?" He heard his mother question when he neared the kitchen with Soo Ae. "It's not salty enough. Did you even salt this?"  

"It tastes just fine," his father said. "You're like that because you always eat salty dishes." 

"No. I don't like it," his mother shook her head. "I'm going to get Eun Bi to come here and teach you how to cook."

"What's going on?" Sehun asked walking in. 

"Your mother's just being picky." His dad answered and leaned forward with a smile Sehun had never seen before. "Hi, Soo Ae. Did you sleep well?" 

"Good morning, Grandpa!" Soo Ae cheerily greeted sliding into her seat.

Walking around the table Sehun sat down beside Namjoo to greet her, but like the morning of their wedding, her eyes purposely stayed elsewhere.           

"Sehun," his mother stole his attention, "does your wife even know how to cook?" 

"Mom might not be good, but her food is always delicious." Soo Ae spoke up to which his mother paid no heed. 

"I like her food." He answered and watched an expression of disbelief filter her face. "Eat up, Soo Ae. We have to get your mommy to work and send you to daycare." 

"Work?!" His mother raised her voice. "Your wife works? No, she is going to stay home and finish her chores." 

"Mom." He tried. 

"How do you expect her to take care of you if you both work?" His mother went on. "No, she is going to quit and learn her duties as your wife from me. My son's wife will not be allowed to work anywhere, but in the house." Turning to Namjoo she demanded for an answer, "Do you hear me?"  

When Namjoo didn't reply he turned to see her spacing off.  

"I said, did you hear me?!"  

Tapping her arm he watched her turn to him frantically with eyes landing on him before quickly darting off elsewhere. Sehun's mind blanked. Namjoo was never absentminded like this...ever.  

"I'm...I'm going to go get ready for work. Hurry up, Soo Ae." Sliding her chair back she quickly walked out of the room. 

"Mommy's weird, isn't she?" Soo Ae leaned in toward him with a giggle. 

Returning his eyes toward the kitchen entrance he watched Namjoo scurry up the stairs and felt the corner of his lips draw a smile.


***Huhu~~ Sehun knows Namjoo's nervous after cuddling with him xD