One Step Back, One Step Forward

A Second Chance - The Story

Brightening up, the tears receded into a locked box at the back of his head. His heart raced and hope began sprouting invisible flowers throughout his mind. An array of light suddenly began shining on him again. Unable to control the outburst of happiness, Sehun leaned over and forcibly pulled his father into his arms. The approval he never thought he’d gain because Soo Ae wasn’t his or Namjoo’s and because Namjoo had lied with him, was finally here.

Pushing him back, his father cleared his throat and glanced elsewhere to allow his embarrassment to dissipate but Sehun didn’t care. All he could think about was that Namjoo and Soo Ae were allowed back into the family. That was all he needed to know.

“Don’t worry about your mother,” his father got back on track, “what I say is word under this house. Go find them and bring them back.”

That would have been all the relief he needed, but he couldn’t forget how Namjoo suffered under this roof. She wouldn’t trust him so easily and take his hand again – another problem he would have to fix. His mother had verbally abused them. Knowing Namjoo as the protective mother she was, she would never forget that, even if her daughter did.

“Dad,” Sehun managed to speak calmly, aware that he had more problems to confront now. “I’m going to move out.” When the old man looked up at him, he quickly explained, “I’m afraid Namjoo won’t want to come back and live here with us. It might be better we live elsewhere for a while. It’ll give mom some time to cool off and Namjoo some space.”

His father contemplated his words, weighing the outcomes of each possibility. “All right. Do that then.”

“Thank you, dad. Really.”

Nodding, his dad waved him off ready to end the conversation. The gruff but soft man who didn’t openly express affection was the father he loved so much. Sehun would never forget this day. As he walked out he could hear his father shredding the divorce papers.

*****

Chanyeol finally left after explaining to Namjoo where he kept everything in his house, even repeatedly telling her to make herself at home. By the time he left he was confident that she was less awkward with him than before. Namjoo wouldn’t have come to him, even if he were her last resort if she didn’t think she could believe in him.

Rushing to work barely late for his usual shift, he nearly crashed into Sehun, who, too, was hurrying in. Today, in contrast to all other days, he finally looked groomed and clean. His button-down was free of wrinkles and there was, shockingly, a glowing smile on his face. Chanyeol had to pause and look his friend over to make certain that no strange phenomenon had taken over his friend’s body.

“You sure don’t look hungover,” Chanyeol commented as they walked through the spinning doors together. He wondered if Sehun’s despair had driven him into a state of madness, where he was suddenly now smiling, appearing as happy as before. There was no way he would have picked himself up. Not after the way he’d been destroying himself since Namjoo left.

“I’ll tell you about it later,” Sehun promised and waved, shocking Chanyeol even more, before running off in another direction. Chanyeol stared after him bewildered by the sight. Making his own way to his desk he dropped down into his seat and immediately thought at once about going shopping after work. He needed fresh food in his fridge and healthy ones at that. Poor Soo Ae looked so weak. It hurt his heart to look at her bedridden instead of running around as should be.

Turning his focus to work he shut every other part of his brain off in order to concentrate. However concentrated he may be, he kept thinking about opening the door last evening to find Namjoo on his doorstep bent over with one arm at her back to keep Soo Ae from falling, the other hand clutching onto their belongings. She hadn’t brought much when she left Sehun’s house, which meant she and Soo Ae would have to keep rewashing and wearing the same clothes again and again when they ran out.

Chanyeol’s heart went out to them. Under what kind of circumstances had Namjoo felt she’d been driven out of Sehun’s home? And how hard it had been for her the past week surviving on meals that wasn’t enough for the stomach?

If they hadn’t been able to rely on Sehun, he would pick up from where he’d left off and try to do better for them. Determined, he returned to work only to discover Sehun chowing on cafeteria food in a manner that made others ponder whether he’d been starved his whole life. A vibrant energy flowed off him when Chanyeol joined him at the table.

“Something gotten into you?” Chanyeol asked. “You’re suddenly overflowing with positivity! What’s the trick?”

With a mouthful Sehun smiled at him. That, too, was another big shocker for Chanyeol. He barely choked on his water when he saw it.

“I’m going to look for Namjoo and Soo Ae again.” Chanyeol’s brow shot up. Pressing his lips together, he smiled happily, determined. “No matter how hard it’ll be, I’m going to bring them home.”

“Why are you making the decision now?”

Sehun shrugged. “It happened so suddenly. Did I tell you, right around my birthday, Namjoo and I got into a bad argument over some divorce papers?”

“D…divorce?” Chanyeol repeated, his eyes inched wide. He hadn’t heard anything about a divorce that was supposed to happen. What did this mean?!

“My parents found out Soo Ae isn’t my biological daughter and things got messy. I’m sure Namjoo was stressed and frustrated. Mom always attacked her and Soo Ae, and I couldn’t do anything. Mom wanted us to get a divorce and she brought the papers to me, so we argued, but we made up and I’m confident that what Namjoo feels for me isn’t any different from the feelings I have for her,” Sehun expressed. “She probably feels like she’s backed up into a corner, especially after Soo Ae’s accident. I’m worried if they’re doing well or not. They probably haven’t gotten far, so I’m going to try searching for them again.”

Speechless, Chanyeol only stared at Sehun. He couldn’t settle his thoughts. Now he understood why Sehun had been so glum and why Soo Ae had been so hurt, putting blame on herself. Chanyeol now knew why Namjoo didn’t want to go back to the house. If someone just said something earlier, he could have helped prevent Soo Ae’s accident. It was no wonder Namjoo and Soo Ae were both emotionally battered, why she so easily cried.

“Would she…want to come back to you?” the words slid out from Chanyeol’s lips.

Sehun stared back, “She’s still my wife."

*****

It was noon. Soo Ae was still asleep. Namjoo had pondered over taking her to the hospital for a checkup, but she worried they would question her about her father, then she would have to bring Sehun in. Namjoo didn’t want to risk that, selfish as it may be.

Opening Chanyeol’s fridge she stared at the contents inside, calculating what she would be able to make for lunch. At least now she would be able to prepare a full meal for Soo Ae and hope that her health would return. She hated seeing her daughter sick, would rather wish it was her and not little Soo Ae.

When Namjoo finally gathered some ingredients into a pot on the stove for stew, she turned at the sound of footsteps. Still pale, Soo Ae glanced at her once before hurrying over to hug her. Smiling, Namjoo patted her head.

“I just wanted to hug you.” Soo Ae pressed her face into Namjoo’s back.

Turning around, Namjoo bent down and took her shoulders, “Soo Ae, we’re going to stay with Uncle Yeol for a while. So while I look for a job, is it all right if you stay here alone for just a couple of hours? You’ll be a good girl about it, won’t you?”

“Uncle Yeol?” she repeated with confusion.

Nodding, “The tall uncle.”

“He’s daddy’s friend.” Soo Ae remembered then pressed her lips shut. “I’m sorry, mommy.”

“Hmm?” Namjoo brushed her hair aside, tucked it behind her ear.

Shaking her head, “I won’t talk about daddy anymore and I won’t ask for a daddy anymore.” Namjooo’s heart broke upon seeing how apologetic Soo Ae was about everything that had happened, as if it was her fault.

“Don’t cry, huh? It’s not your fault.” Namjoo patted her back before pulling her into a hug. her hair as she leaned her chin over the small shoulder, “It will get better from here on. I promise.”  

She could hear Soo Ae fighting to quiet her sniffles as she cried, her small hands holding onto her tightly. “I only need mommy forever and ever. I’ll be a good girl from now on.”

“Yes,” Namjoo smiled, remaining optimistic. A mother’s worst sin would be showing tears in front her child. There was no need to plant guilt into Soo Ae’s heart. “You’re such a big girl now!” Withdrawing from the hug, Namjoo stood and pulled out a chair. “Sit here while I finish cooking. You must be hungry.”

*****

Chanyeol would have gone straight to the market, but decided against it. Right after work he headed straight back to the studio. Assuming Namjoo and Soo Ae would enjoy some air, he’d take them out shopping with him for food. That way he could buy stuff they wanted to eat for them instead of guessing what they'd like.

When he arrived through the door Namjoo was sitting at the kitchen table with newspapers sprawled out in front of her while noise from the next room told him Soo Ae was up.

“You’re back?” Namjoo greeted as he slipped his shoes off. No one had ever greeted him back before. Chanyeol had always been alone. Leaving home in silence and coming back to the silence.

He glanced at Namjoo and smiled. “What are you doing?”

“I’m trying to look for a job,” Namjoo explained.

“Should I help?”

Shaking her head she pointed toward the pot on the stove, “I made some stew for lunch. We left some for you, if you’d like.”

Chanyeol glanced toward the stove, his heart immediately fluttering. The fact that Namjoo had thought about him, been considerate enough to even make him food delighted him. No one had done this for him before.

“Do you want to go out?” Chanyeol asked and when Namjoo turned her attention back to him he felt his face redden. “I mean,” he quickly corrected, “to the market, of course. I need to stock up on food, you know, so you and Soo Ae…well…so there’s enough for you two, too…and it’s better than going by myself and randomly guessing what you two would like…wouldn’t it?” Chanyeol was aware he sounded silly and he wanted to dig a hole and climb his way in, but Namjoo only smiled at him and that was enough to get the butterflies in his stomach going.

“Ask Soo Ae. She might like to go.”

Even if he wanted, he couldn’t stop the excited smile from spreading over his lips. Turning, he called out, “Soo Ae, do you want to go to the store?”

After some chiding and pleading from Soo Ae, the three of them arrived at the market minutes later. Soo Ae helped him push the cart while Namjoo looked at goods and debated over brands and prices. In the car before they arrived, she had apologized numerous times for using his money to buy their food. It was no big deal for him, so he easily swatted her off.

For the first time in the longest time of his life he felt like he had family. Everything had always been done solo. Who would have ever thought that Namjoo and Soo Ae would be with him like this so calmly, so peacefully? The warming sensation he received from being in their company was astounding and he never wanted to forget or let go of it.

He and Soo Ae pulled over to the side while Namjoo walked further ahead to observe grocery on sale. As he watched her go he could imagine her as a wife, picky about the quality of products and complaining about prices. While inquiring about prices and meats, he’d stand to the side with his child wondering when she’d ever be done. The imagined scenario made him gush.

Upon turning he found Soo Ae peering up at him. The smile plastered on her face in the next second made him smile in return.

“You look happy, Tall Uncle,” Soo Ae commented.

“I am.” Chanyeol peered off into the distance to see Namjoo observing the sign above the crates then turned to Soo Ae. “Say,” he began, “what would you do if your dad came looking for you two? Would you go back with him?”

The smile disappeared, her eyes turned deep and thoughtful. She shook her head, surprising him. “No. I’m going to stay with mommy this time.”

*****

Sehun would have returned home at an earlier time, but had chosen to check out the studio he was planning to get. As he strode in the door his mother cheerily greeted him, her attitude completely different from that morning’s. Giving her acknowledgement he headed upstairs to the silence awaiting him, wishing so much that Namjoo would be in their room.

Starting down the hallway he reached up to loosen his tie and paused when he neared his bedroom. He recognized shuffling movements from inside and alarmed, quickly stepped in to find Eun Bi tucking the fresh clothes she’d just washed and folded into his drawers. He also noticed the room had been cleaned up. It smelled of fresh laundry detergent. Instantly, his eyes landed on the bed. The sheets that had hugged Namjoo’s scent and her bodily warmth had been changed.

Suddenly angry he rushed forward and slammed the open drawer closed, upset that their private space had been trespassed. Namjoo was part of this room and anyone who tried cleaning it would clean her out as well. Sehun couldn’t bear the thought of it.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he growled when Eun Bi turned to look at him.

“I was cleaning up for you. If you can’t take care of yourself, someone has to.”

“That’s not for you to worry about.”

“How can I not worry about you?!”

Sehun’s brow twitched. “That’s Namjoo’s job.”

“She’s not here.”

“And you’re not taking her place,” Sehun hissed then grabbed her arm. “Don’t you ever come in here and touch my and Namjoo’s things as you like. The next time I find you in here, I’m going to kick you out of my house.”

Dragging her toward the door he left her outside and slammed the door after her. When he turned around he glanced over the now cleaned room, feeling a pang of growing fury about it. Namjoo! The traces of his precious wife…what was he going to do about it?

Walking forward he opened her dressers to make sure nothing was misplaced or had been taken. All her clothes were still in order, untouched. Relieved, he let out a sigh. Running the tips of his fingers over her clothes he missed her even more. He could remember specifically what shirt she'd worn on a specific day and exactly how she had looked in it. Unable to help himself he pulled out a blouse and clutched onto it, wishing desperately that she was here with him.

Was she thinking of him now? Did she miss him like he missed her? Wish she had his company at night? Did she miss the television set in their bedroom? Because he longed for her when he slept, when he ate, and when he woke up. He spent every second of the day hoping that when he returned from work, she and Soo Ae would be waiting for him. That leaving was a mistake and they couldn’t live without him. That they would be back for good, to be with him forever. That Soo Ae still wanted to call him daddy. That Namjoo loved him.

Silly dreams…silly hopes.

He wouldn’t give up. One way or another, even if he had to go to the ends of the earth, he would find them and plead them to return. He hadn’t signed the papers and he still had Namjoo’s ring. She couldn’t give him up just yet. He was still going to fight for her and if he had to, would chase her again. He would make her fall in love with him again, no matter how long it took. When he left the house he would be sure to take her and Soo Ae’s belongings with him. They needed to be together.

Placing Namjoo’s blouse back in place he headed downstairs for dinner. His father was at the table, his mother and Eun Bi busy at the stove and gathering plates. Sehun didn’t understand why they made the process seem so splendid and long. Namjoo was always in a hurry to feed Soo Ae, never preparing more than two main dishes. It had always been done in a simple way and he had liked her sense of style.

“So,” his mother started when she finally sat down, “did you see how clean your room is, Sehun? Are you finally getting back into your right state of mind?”

“Just leave him be, will you?” his father asked.

“How can I do that?! He’s just going to mess around again if I don’t tell Eun Bi to control him,” his mother snapped.

Eun Bi glanced at him before offering, “I don’t think anyone, but that woman can control him, and I don’t think he’s in his right state of mind just yet, mother.”

“What are you talking about?” she glanced at him, brows furrowing down her face.

“He feels like I want to take that woman’s spot,” Eun Bi replied. “As if I want to replace such a shameless woman…”

“How dare you say that to Eun Bi!” his mother scolded. “Do you know what she is worth and you’re comparing her to that vicious woman who lied to all of us?! Have you lowered your standards so much that you can barely see past a decent woman from a devious ? That woman used her daughter to get to you! How come you don’t understand that yet?! You’re college educated! Know better!”

Without even picking at his food, Sehun set down his utensils. “That woman is still my wife, mom, and her daughter is still my daughter.”

With an exasperated snort his mother slapped the table. “Don’t ever speak about her daughter in front of me!”

Sehun only glanced at his enraged mother. He couldn’t understand why she seemed to dislike Namjoo and Soo Ae to such an extent, but he would no longer question it. Right now, trying to figure it out was only a useless mean.

“My wife, Namjoo, has a big heart. Outside she’s brusque, but she’s always thinking about her daughter and if today’s pay is enough to buy even a small gift. My daughter, Soo Ae, only recently had her first taste of cake and said for her birthday, she only needed her mother. What woman is ready to give up the rest of her life when she saves the life of a child?” Sehun asked. “My wife is a savior. She is not a or a wench, but she is my wife. I have never lowered my standards, but I have forced her to lower her standards to marry such a useless person like me. If you’re done insulting my family, I have an announcement I would like to make.”

Without waiting a second’s beat he began, “I’m going to move out and I’m going to search for my wife and child. That’s all.” Picking his utensils back up he finally started to eat the dinner they took so long to set on the table.     


***/cries/ for Sehun's speech ;;

***If you look at Sehun - Chanyeol's friendship, both their characters sit on two ends of the spectrum. What Sehun has, Chanyeol lacks. So now Chanyeol is experiencing familial warmth thanks to Namjoo and Soo Ae, which increases his affection for them. Kind of heartbreaking when you realize Namjoo & Soo Ae will eventually go back to Sehun.